Author Topic: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater  (Read 510587 times)

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater
« Reply #350 on: September 08, 2010, 09:09:56 PM »
I'm watching The Daily Show right now, and Jon Stewart just held up a book called "Portnoy's Complaint" while arguing about religion. I've never heard of the book, but...what a strange coincidence.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #351 on: September 08, 2010, 09:10:45 PM »
I'm just going to say it.... I'm happy.  I always loved Portnoy's playing, but I really, REALLY never cared for the, "DT must produce their own albums" mentality they started having.  Hopefully, they'll start working with a producer again.  In fact, didn't Petrucci enjoy working with outside producers?  If so, maybe we'll see a return to that side of DT.  

Honestly, folks, I really think this is a new beginning of DT rather than a sad conclusion.  I think in about .... a year.... after they record a new album and we've all heard it (presumably with a new drummer), you'll all agree with me.  Don't be sad about MP leaving, be happy that the band is starting fresh.  Quite honestly, I've been hoping for Portnoy to leave.... not saying that in a disrespectful way, but if any of them HAD to go, he's my choice.  I'd rather see Portnoy leave waayyyy before JP or LaBrie.  
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #352 on: September 08, 2010, 09:11:29 PM »
:rollin

Wait, wrong smiley...

:wahhh:

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #353 on: September 08, 2010, 09:11:36 PM »
But right now, I don't feel like trying to be positive. I feel like being honest, and honestly, I wish this did not happen.
Wow. Almost brought me to tears. :-\

I can't imagine how he can look back at his DT collection and not say to himself 'What the fuck did I do?'
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #354 on: September 08, 2010, 09:13:01 PM »
I'm watching The Daily Show right now, and Jon Stewart just held up a book called "Portnoy's Complaint" while arguing about religion. I've never heard of the book, but...what a strange coincidence.

Weird.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline j

« Reply #355 on: September 08, 2010, 09:14:01 PM »
Jesus, this must have been announced RIGHT after I left for class.

Cynic though I am, this was completely unexpected.  I've been critical of Portnoy, but he's obviously a (arguably THE) central figure in the band, and it's hard for me to even fathom DT without his drumming, personality, and other innumerable contributions.

I'm curious about what led up to this and how the other guys feel about it.  It would be interesting to know the whole story.

Damn.

-J

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #356 on: September 08, 2010, 09:14:54 PM »

Weird.

Saw that too, that was really weird.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline OptionalPlayer

• Comprised of a series of ones and zeros
« Reply #357 on: September 08, 2010, 09:15:02 PM »
I can't be mad at him either.
But I mean, he kind of did this to himself.

He made himself in charge. He didn't let anyone else take over.

He toured with DT, he didn't give himself the time off. He toured with Transatlantic by his own accord. He chose to do the A7X tour. And it's okay for him doing so.

I just don't understand why he didn't give himself a breather if he was getting tired with the band. Everyone else is taking the time off, Labrie aside - why not Portnoy?

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #358 on: September 08, 2010, 09:15:28 PM »
He's only leaving for the Jewish High Holy Days. Then He'll be back. Right? RIGHT??

Offline robwebster

« Reply #359 on: September 08, 2010, 09:15:56 PM »
I'm just going to say it.... I'm happy.  I always loved Portnoy's playing, but I really, REALLY never cared for the, "DT must produce their own albums" mentality they started having.  Hopefully, they'll start working with a producer again.  In fact, didn't Petrucci enjoy working with outside producers?  If so, maybe we'll see a return to that side of DT. 

Honestly, folks, I really think this is a new beginning of DT rather than a sad conclusion.  I think in about .... a year.... after they record a new album and we've all heard it (presumably with a new drummer), you'll all agree with me.  Don't be sad about MP leaving, be happy that the band is starting fresh.  Quite honestly, I've been hoping for Portnoy to leave.... not saying that in a disrespectful way, but if any of them HAD to go, he's my choice.  I'd rather see Portnoy leave waayyyy before JP or LaBrie. 
I'm... I mean, I don't agree with the first paragraph. But I'm finding myself energised by it surprisingly quickly. I think I inherently like change.
But right now, I don't feel like trying to be positive. I feel like being honest, and honestly, I wish this did not happen.
Wow. Almost brought me to tears. :-\

I can't imagine how he can look back at his DT collection and not say to himself 'What the fuck did I do?'
How can he look back at his own naked torso and not say to himself 'What the fuck did I do?!' Man's COVERED in DT tattoos.

That said, if that's not where the passion is right now, then I'm glad he left. I think this was the right decision for everyone. I wouldn't be surprised if he returned. I don't know whether that's due to my own disbelief or what. I'm... somewhat glad about the news, though. Something needed changing, and they changed it. They chose the difficult option over the safe option. Quick and painful, rather than a dull ache. I'm energised by the change, a bit. Very optimistic. This doesn't feel like a Spock's Beard crippling loss. John Petrucci has wonderful solo albums, and you'd be hard pressed to find a better keyboardist than Jordan Rudess. I think this could still be brilliant.

More brilliant than a delayed album with an apathetic (exaggerating but STILL!) Mike Portnoy would be.

I'm happy. Genuinely happy. Didn't expect to be happy. Then again, didn't expect the announcement. Don't get me wrong, I'm still stunned. But happy.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #360 on: September 08, 2010, 09:16:13 PM »

Weird.

Saw that too, that was really weird.

I mean really, what are the odds? :|
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #361 on: September 08, 2010, 09:16:28 PM »
If there is one thing about life I have learned and feel comfortable preaching - despite being just 19 years-old - it is that change is not gradual. Some changes are, surely, but the biggest changes are sudden.

For example: Going to college; you are living at home one day, like normal, then you are gone. Or when your wife announces she is pregnant; you are the same as you have ever been one day, like normal, then you are grown-up.

And now there's this. Today Dream Theater was Dream Theater, like normal, and now Portnoy has left.

When Portnoy joined A7X for their tour I said to myself, "I would not be surprised if he left DT". But now that he has left, I am, put simply, shocked.

You see I am unlike most of you in that I don't really listen to DT anymore. I can spend hours trying to articulate why, but the fact is I just got too familiar with them and moved on. They ceased being a band to me and became... I don't know... Something else.

They became something I could always lean on. Something that didn't change from the time I was 14 - when I became a fan - to the present. I could always go to MP's forum and check on what was up in his life. I could always go buy a new Ytse Jam Bootleg. I could always look forward to a new DVD. To a new MP Forum Christmas video. To a new DVD commentary.

In life where change is sudden they were something that did not change. And now they have changed. And I am sad about it. I am not blubbering or crying, and I probably won't lose any sleep about it. But I am sad, for sure.

Funny, I am typing this as "A Change of Seasons" rings. Great song. I hate to say it but I disagree with you guys saying DT will still be DT. They will be DT, but they will not be Dream Theater. Dream Theater was more than music. Dream Theater was closeness, and most of that closeness was through Portnoy. Even if we get that closeness again, it will not be the same.

Musically, I think this is really good for them. But now I have one less thing to lean on, one more memory of the way things were. Tomorrow, I will look back on classic DT fondly. In a year, I might be glad Portnoy left.

Gather Ye Rosebuds While Ye May

Tragic as it may be, I think that this post is going to be buried in the shitstorm.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #362 on: September 08, 2010, 09:16:37 PM »
Jordan has commented: https://twitter.com/jcrudess

Good to see they are optimistic
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #363 on: September 08, 2010, 09:16:39 PM »

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #364 on: September 08, 2010, 09:17:22 PM »
as will the video I posted..
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #365 on: September 08, 2010, 09:19:38 PM »

I don't like him saying they are "excited" because I know they are not that fully excited.

Offline OptionalPlayer

• Comprised of a series of ones and zeros
« Reply #366 on: September 08, 2010, 09:19:51 PM »

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #367 on: September 08, 2010, 09:20:42 PM »
*snippity*

Tragical as it may be, I think that this post is going to be buried in the shitstorm.
Yeah, it's rather unfortunate. This might be one of the best posts in the thread.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #368 on: September 08, 2010, 09:21:47 PM »
Dream Theater Official Press Release:

https://jcrudess.wordpress.com/2010/09/09/dream-theater-press-release/
And that's that folks. It's confirmed 100% true, and we can all move on now.

*continues binge of DT discog*
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Jamariquay

• When in Rome...
« Reply #369 on: September 08, 2010, 09:22:29 PM »
Kinda surreal to see this on the Dream Theater wikipedia article...

EDIT: Also, lol @ "Glasser"

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #370 on: September 08, 2010, 09:23:10 PM »
Holy fuck. :omg:
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #371 on: September 08, 2010, 09:24:20 PM »
Kinda surreal to see this on the Dream Theater wikipedia article...

EDIT: Also, lol @ "Glasser"

Guess the thread was tl;dr for you? It was posted a couple pages back :lol

Also, just had this thought -

Actually, thinking about it, if Nick did record with DT, it'd be mirroring what he did with Genesis back in 1997. Which is ironic considering what a friend of mine was comparing this to earlier - she said it was like when Phil Collins left Genesis back in the 90's, and then the band went on without him and recorded a rather lackluster album, which featured Nick D'Virgilio on some tracks.

Hopefully this situation doesn't happen with Dream Theater. I would hate to see them flop after such a successful album like Genesis had with We Can't Dance. It's funny, though, because earlier this year Mike compared himself to Phil in such a way that he was working so hard, all the time, with various projects and bands. Guess he did one more thing like Phil as well... :sadpanda:

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline razorsedge

« Reply #372 on: September 08, 2010, 09:25:15 PM »
maybe it's not within my rightss but i have to know how jm and jp feel about this.  they were kids when they started this thing together.  i have to imagine they are feeling the same ways about this that we are..."are we really making this decision...is this actually happening?"

i feel like it must be as shocking to them as it is to us that this is how it ends.  not a stupid fight, not a huge falling out...just a disagreement and a situation that cant be resolved another way.   and so it's over...for now.

keys and gates. That's some fantasy shit right there.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #373 on: September 08, 2010, 09:25:45 PM »

I don't like him saying they are "excited" because I know they are not that fully excited.
Sure they are! This has been in the works for a year. They're not as surprised as we are. They've had time to plan. To think about it. The next chapter's the great unknown! It's KevMo leaving! They'll have mixed feelings, sure. And they'll be upset, sure. But they're definitely allowed to be psyched. I'm sure that's one of the mishmash of weird feelings.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #374 on: September 08, 2010, 09:25:48 PM »
All I can say is I am relieved that Mike made this statement on September 8th and not the 9th. I could not go on living if my birthday was the anniversary of Portnoy's departure...
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #375 on: September 08, 2010, 09:27:47 PM »
I just found out about this...just.....wow...I can't quite stomach this. This is just weird.
 :(

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #376 on: September 08, 2010, 09:28:58 PM »
What the everliving fuck is this hoooorseshiiiiiit?

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #377 on: September 08, 2010, 09:29:17 PM »
All I can say is I am relieved that Mike made this statement on September 8th and not the 9th. I could not go on living if my birthday was the anniversary of Portnoy's departure...

Happy birthday! :sadpanda:
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline j

« Reply #378 on: September 08, 2010, 09:31:15 PM »
I'd add that I expect he'll be back at some point, in one way or another.  I already hope so, even though I wasn't always a fan of what he did in DT.  It's weird; some of TOX's post kind of sums up how I feel about it I guess.

And you've gotta think the chances of getting KevMo to do a live show with them have gone up, at least one iota.  :neverusethis:

I'm... I mean, I don't agree with the first paragraph. But I'm finding myself energised by it surprisingly quickly. I think I inherently like change.

Maybe a big change like this is what DT needs.  Although this is one of the last ways I'd have ever thought it would manifest itself.

-J

Offline predator13

« Reply #379 on: September 08, 2010, 09:31:42 PM »
I remember (I think in the Score Doc) Mike said that if one of the members quit, the band would end.  This was the band.  

I guess the others didn't feel the same way.
You can make a fortune in pies; you can keep a giant alive.

Offline wasp2020

« Reply #380 on: September 08, 2010, 09:35:28 PM »
Well this is totally unexpected, and a bit saddening, but...well, I'm hopeful for the future. I'm excited for what the next album'll sound like. A totally fresh start. I think Portnoy was a little overbearing and holding them back in the form of the routine of the past few albums. But that's just me.

Offline Metropolis Pt. II

• DT.net Member
  • Let's roll!
« Reply #381 on: September 08, 2010, 09:36:11 PM »
I've been trying to process this ever since MP made the announcement on Facebook.
He was that last person I thought would leave the band. But at the same time, his reasons for leaving make sense.
I don't know if I'm really contributing to this thread at all, but I just had the urge to post.
I don't know what else to say.

Offline James007

• Beatles Apologist
  • Waiting for the new Threshold album.
« Reply #382 on: September 08, 2010, 09:36:35 PM »
It was there right before our eyes, we were blind not to realize
In the rush to be globalized we signed away our freedom
We forgot how to criticize, we were scared to be demonized
As the truth was neutralized we lost the art of reason.

- Threshold "The Art of Reason"

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #383 on: September 08, 2010, 09:38:35 PM »
I'd add that I expect he'll be back at some point, in one way or another.
I also think this. Not because of the denial, no. It's because he just wanted to take a break. Maybe 5 years will pass, maybe even 10, but he will miss the band and the stuff he did with them. David Ellefson came back to Megadeth 8 years after leaving the band, and even Jason Newsted played with Metallica in the R&R Hall of Fame after nine years. And they both had more personal reasons than Mike (At least as far as we know). So maybe. Maybe...

But I think we somewhat saw it coming. We were speculating about it when he said he was going to be in A7X until November after saying initially that he was just going to be a session drummer. So maybe he just took the step and did it.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #384 on: September 08, 2010, 09:39:35 PM »
I just read the thread about this on 5/8... I now realize why I don't post there.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?