Author Topic: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater  (Read 509790 times)

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
Re: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater
« Reply #245 on: September 08, 2010, 07:58:25 PM »
Mike, if you're reading this.  I want you to know you made me cry, and now I can't masturbate.  You cockblocked me.  from myself.
www.bedeceived.com

ZOMG WHAT'S AT BEDECEIVED.COM?

I DUNNO!  CLICK THE DARNED LINK TO FIND OUT!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #246 on: September 08, 2010, 07:58:30 PM »
did we get any 'mike if you're reading this' n00bs show up yet?

No :lol
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Aniland

« Reply #247 on: September 08, 2010, 07:58:34 PM »
This will be JMX's response.

............*picks up pencil*

I fixed that for you. :)

Offline OptionalPlayer

• Comprised of a series of ones and zeros
« Reply #248 on: September 08, 2010, 07:59:05 PM »
My heart is fucking broken.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #249 on: September 08, 2010, 08:00:01 PM »
in other news:

NIGHTMARE CINEMA HAS TO FIND A NEW BASSIST

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #250 on: September 08, 2010, 08:00:58 PM »
Oh god  :lol :rollin :lol
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #251 on: September 08, 2010, 08:01:53 PM »
Twelve Step-Suite: The new Space-Dye Vest.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #252 on: September 08, 2010, 08:02:07 PM »
My heart is fucking broken.
Both of these.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Rafael Guerra

• DTF.org member
  • Personal Text.
« Reply #253 on: September 08, 2010, 08:02:24 PM »
I insist that it must be a hacker or a prank. I know it sound like I just didn't get over it (and i didn't. I'm pretty sad) but there is nothing on the official DT site and the messages on Twitter, Facebook and other networks is exactly the same, meaning that if MP uses the same password for all the networks (which is very likely) a hacker could easily just do that once and copy and paste. Also, even if that is the case...the reason sounds unreal, how can a band that has overcome so many other challenges ( James' vocal chords incident, Kevin's departure, after the FII stress)  just go through this for a reason like this? They have the BEST chemistry any band potentially has ever had, so yeah, I'm still hoping for the good news of a prank or hacker. If there is any computer scientists/internet genius in DTF, speak up please, enlighten us.

P.S - I see in the new sticky thread that is sounds like its not a prank. Still, can anybody that has more accurate sources than Twitter tell us details?
Crossing bridges in the sky.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #254 on: September 08, 2010, 08:03:36 PM »
I'm disappointed. Not at MP's departure but if what he says is true (and there's no reason not to be) I am shocked that it's the other guys who didn't want to take a year or two off. You know my opinion on recent DT, I've been advocating for them to take a break since Train of Thought (which is an album I really really like) and I thought MP was going to be the last to want to take some time off. It's bad the other guys wouldn't give him the time he needs to recharge. Maybe there is a lot more to this than we'll ever know. I also feel a bit sad too, say what you want about MP (and I've said a lot), he was a dedicated guy and I don't think DT would have made it without him and his commitment.
It's their job. They have families to support. And they're not exactly mainstream.

A year off is a year of eating cold beans out of the tin.
So after 20 years they haven't saved money to spend 1 year without DT income? I find it hard to believe. Not to mention that they all can start their own solo projects or work with other bands/musicians in that time and still get decent income since 90% of their fanbase will buy almost everything they are a part of.
They don't want to spend 1 year without DT income.

"You know that recession that's been going on, and how the economy's not at its best at the moment?"
"Yeah?"
"Let's not earn money for a year."
"Brilliant."

Their solo projects definitely don't get 90% of the sales that their actual albums do. Barely a fraction of that. Black Clouds and Silver Linings got to number six in the chart. If 90% of their fanbase bought their solo albums, then every single thing they released would chart. It's just the ming-mong devotees who lap everything up. Myself included.

Meanwhile, even if they DO have savings - which they will - they're not going to want to... A. be running on empty by the time they reconvene, nor B. spend a whole year pennypinching. They're going to have to take drastic cuts in their lifestyle. Sure, they have savings. They also have expenditures.

The band have done no-one a disservice. They have a job that they're fond of. They need to keep the engine going. This isn't an arbitrary decision, they don't kick out a founding member just 'cause they fancy making a new album a little bit. They don't fire one of their oldest friends 'cause they can't be bothered to go without sushi for a year. It's a big decision. It's not something they've done frivolously.

'Specially after the flop that was the BCSL tour. Very few sell-outs, and I think they made a loss in the US? The wheels keep turning 'cause they have to. Not 'cause they're being greedy, or doing anything shocking. It's not "bad that they wouldn't give him time." There definitely is more to it than we'll ever know. This isn't a silly decision that someone makes 'cause they feel like making a couple of extra bob.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #255 on: September 08, 2010, 08:03:39 PM »
That would be really funny if that was the case, but denial is the first step.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #256 on: September 08, 2010, 08:04:25 PM »
I insist that it must be a hacker or a prank. I know it sound like I just didn't get over it (and i didn't. I'm pretty sad) but there is nothing on the official DT site and the messages on Twitter, Facebook and other networks is exactly the same, meaning that if MP uses the same password for all the networks (which is very likely) a hacker could easily just do that once and copy and paste. Also, even if that is the case...the reason sounds unreal, how can a band that has overcome so many other challenges ( James' vocal chords incident, Kevin's departure, after the FII stress)  just break up for a reason like this? They have the BEST chemistry any band potentially has ever had, so yeah, I'm still hoping for the good news of a prank or hacker. If there is any computer scientists/internet genius in DTF, speak up please, enlighten us.

P.S - I see in the new sticky thread that is sounds like its not a prank. Still, can anybody that has more accurate sources than Twitter tell us details?

You clearly didn't read the announcement. No where does it say they broke up.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Summers

« Reply #257 on: September 08, 2010, 08:05:44 PM »
I insist that it must be a hacker or a prank. I know it sound like I just didn't get over it (and i didn't. I'm pretty sad) but there is nothing on the official DT site and the messages on Twitter, Facebook and other networks is exactly the same, meaning that if MP uses the same password for all the networks (which is very likely) a hacker could easily just do that once and copy and paste. Also, even if that is the case...the reason sounds unreal, how can a band that has overcome so many other challenges ( James' vocal chords incident, Kevin's departure, after the FII stress)  just break up for a reason like this? They have the BEST chemistry any band potentially has ever had, so yeah, I'm still hoping for the good news of a prank or hacker. If there is any computer scientists/internet genius in DTF, speak up please, enlighten us.

*pats arm*

Sit down, sit down....  do you want a cup of coffee?  I know, I know... 
Getting awful crowded in my sky.

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #258 on: September 08, 2010, 08:06:16 PM »
step 13: withdrawal.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline Rafael Guerra

• DTF.org member
  • Personal Text.
« Reply #259 on: September 08, 2010, 08:06:46 PM »

You clearly didn't read the announcement. No where does it say they broke up.
Sorry, i changed now. It was subconscious, i just wrote it all at once.
Crossing bridges in the sky.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #260 on: September 08, 2010, 08:07:46 PM »
https://twitter.com/MikePortnoyDT

It's canon, man. It's fucking canon. This shit cannot be happening...

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
« Reply #261 on: September 08, 2010, 08:08:01 PM »
Very well said Rob.

We may never know the circumstances, we just need to trust it was done with good intentions all around. We may all be heartbroken, but Rob is right in saying that this isn't arbitrary. I'm sure there are reasons the band wanted to continue, some financial, some not, and other reasons for Portnoy's departure that may never be clear.
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #262 on: September 08, 2010, 08:09:07 PM »
in response to bosk's forum post. why would dtf shut down? for all we know from MP's post DT is still alive

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #263 on: September 08, 2010, 08:09:36 PM »
I insist that it must be a hacker or a prank. I know it sound like I just didn't get over it (and i didn't. I'm pretty sad) but there is nothing on the official DT site and the messages on Twitter, Facebook and other networks is exactly the same, meaning that if MP uses the same password for all the networks (which is very likely) a hacker could easily just do that once and copy and paste. Also, even if that is the case...the reason sounds unreal, how can a band that has overcome so many other challenges ( James' vocal chords incident, Kevin's departure, after the FII stress)  just go through this for a reason like this? They have the BEST chemistry any band potentially has ever had, so yeah, I'm still hoping for the good news of a prank or hacker. If there is any computer scientists/internet genius in DTF, speak up please, enlighten us.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #264 on: September 08, 2010, 08:10:19 PM »
in response to bosk's forum post. why would dtf shut down? for all we know from MP's post DT is still alive

I think he might have meant in the consequence that DT is no more.

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #265 on: September 08, 2010, 08:10:48 PM »
And it's not like DTF only caters to DT fans. There is so much more to this forum than discussing Dream Theater.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #266 on: September 08, 2010, 08:10:55 PM »
Even if DT disbanded why does that mean DTF will shut down?
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #267 on: September 08, 2010, 08:11:05 PM »

I believe that would actually be The Best of Times. They've played all of the suite except for The Shattered Fortress, which I would think they'll be far more likely to play than The Best of Times.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #268 on: September 08, 2010, 08:11:48 PM »
I'm whit sigz i would like to hear DT whitout MP, but DAMN A7X really A7X?

+1

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #269 on: September 08, 2010, 08:11:58 PM »
FUCK! DAMMIT LETTERS! NOW THAT'S JUST ONE MORE REASON TO MAKE ME SAD KNOWING THAT I WON'T HEAR MY FAVOURITE SONG FROM BCSL PLAYED LIVE.

FUCK!

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #270 on: September 08, 2010, 08:12:05 PM »
I just took my anger out on my dog.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #271 on: September 08, 2010, 08:12:32 PM »
IT WASNT ME BRAH
I AM A GUY

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #272 on: September 08, 2010, 08:12:47 PM »

poor dog.

Offline Talon

« Reply #273 on: September 08, 2010, 08:13:48 PM »
Reported.

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: September 08, 2010, 08:14:20 PM »
Too bad it wasn't one of your little na'vi dolls.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #275 on: September 08, 2010, 08:14:36 PM »
Black Clouds and Silver Linings is no longer just "the most recent Dream Theater album". It is now "The last album to feature Mike Portnoy."

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #276 on: September 08, 2010, 08:15:17 PM »
Black Clouds and Silver Linings is no longer just "the most recent Dream Theater album". It is now "The last album to feature Mike Portnoy."

thank-you captain obvious.  :lol

Offline Aniland

« Reply #277 on: September 08, 2010, 08:17:12 PM »
Just stating a fact that'll hit home.

Offline guysullavin

« Reply #278 on: September 08, 2010, 08:17:19 PM »
Too bad it sucked comparatively.

I get Best of Times now though. Didn't even see it coming.

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #279 on: September 08, 2010, 08:18:11 PM »
I get Best of Times now though. Didn't even see it coming.
Please don't tell me you are making a parallel between the songs lyrical content and MP leaving the band. TBoT is about his father's death.