Author Topic: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater  (Read 509826 times)

Offline Jarlaxle

Re: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater
« Reply #210 on: September 08, 2010, 07:38:25 PM »
This news totally ruined my day. My stomach honestly turned over when I read the title. It's so out of the blue and unexpected. I guess it is safe to that we will never see the twelve step suite in full.
I wouldn't say that quite yet.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #211 on: September 08, 2010, 07:40:40 PM »
I'm wallowing now....  listening to Pink Floyd's The Final Cut.    :'( :'( :'(

But I predict MP to be back with Dream Theater is some shape, fashion or form.  Whether it's 2 years from now....or 6, I just feel like it's inevitable. 
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #212 on: September 08, 2010, 07:40:55 PM »
I can't even come to terms with how much this sucks.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #213 on: September 08, 2010, 07:41:26 PM »
I'm disappointed. Not at MP's departure but if what he says is true (and there's no reason not to be) I am shocked that it's the other guys who didn't want to take a year or two off. You know my opinion on recent DT, I've been advocating for them to take a break since Train of Thought (which is an album I really really like) and I thought MP was going to be the last to want to take some time off. It's bad the other guys wouldn't give him the time he needs to recharge. Maybe there is a lot more to this than we'll ever know. I also feel a bit sad too, say what you want about MP (and I've said a lot), he was a dedicated guy and I don't think DT would have made it without him and his commitment.

Despite all that, though, I'm a bit excited for the direction DT is going to go now. Many people, me included, have blamed MP for bringing the band in the wrong direction for the last 3 albums (or even more for some) and this album that they will make without him will really be a deciding factor in all the arguments we've had about the music they make.

Still, this feels so surreal, I can't really comprehend it yet. It's probably a joke of some kind, right? Time will tell. I wish MP and DT all the best and hopefully they will continue to make their fans happy.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #214 on: September 08, 2010, 07:42:28 PM »
I'm disappointed. Not at MP's departure but if what he says is true (and there's no reason not to be) I am shocked that it's the other guys who didn't want to take a year or two off. You know my opinion on recent DT, I've been advocating for them to take a break since Train of Thought (which is an album I really really like) and I thought MP was going to be the last to want to take some time off. It's bad the other guys wouldn't give him the time he needs to recharge. Maybe there is a lot more to this than we'll ever know. I also feel a bit sad too, say what you want about MP (and I've said a lot), he was a dedicated guy and I don't think DT would have made it without him and his commitment.
It's their job. They have families to support. And they're not exactly mainstream.

A year off is a year of eating cold beans out of the tin.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #215 on: September 08, 2010, 07:42:39 PM »
But I predict MP to be back with Dream Theater is some shape, fashion or form.  Whether it's 2 years from now....or 6, I just feel like it's inevitable. 
Welcome to the many steps of grieving. Right now you are currently in denial.

And so am I  :sadpanda:
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline ehra

« Reply #216 on: September 08, 2010, 07:42:50 PM »
I'm torn on this. I practically grew up listening to this band, I've been a fan for almost as many years as I've been alive. Seeing MP leave, even if it isn't technically the end of the band, is pretty crazy. But they're all doing what they want to do; MP needs a break and I can respect that, the other guys don't want to stop and I can respect that too. It's hard to be too upset over it, as far as MP's post says there's no bad blood between them or anything. It's a few musicians and adults mutually agreeing to split ways. I'm still excited to see what studio outpout we end up seeing from them.

To be honest, the main thing I'm concerned about is how the fans will accept whoever replaces Portnoy. We just had a thread about A7X fans throwing fits at MP for replacing that band's drummer, it would be a tragedy (and, admittedly, deliciously ironic) if the same happend with DT.

So good luck to all of them. All any of the members of the band have done is give me great music I'll enjoy for, hopefully, the rest of my life. If this is what they want then, for what it's worth (practically nothing), they've got my best wishes.

Now for the plus side; maybe this means Kevin Moore will rejoin the band since it was obviously MP that drove him away, the scumbag.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #217 on: September 08, 2010, 07:43:25 PM »
Most Online Today: 628. Most Online Ever: 628 (Today at 08:43:00 PM)
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #218 on: September 08, 2010, 07:43:31 PM »
I began crying. I'm weeping like a baby now. This is very hard to swallow  :'( :'(
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #219 on: September 08, 2010, 07:43:37 PM »

I personally think it's a bit too early to already be talking about his replacement, even though the speculation is perfectly natural.

He didn't die; he left the band. It's perfectly fine to talk about his replacement.

As sad as I am, I also think its fine to talk about his replacement.

I just want word from the rest of the band, cause the next fucking thing is "Headline: Dream Theater DISBANDS!"
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #220 on: September 08, 2010, 07:44:02 PM »

I'm in the one where the giraffe is swearing like a motherfucking sailor.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #221 on: September 08, 2010, 07:44:48 PM »

I'm in the one where the giraffe is swearing like a motherfucking sailor.
:lol

Offline Starkweather

« Reply #222 on: September 08, 2010, 07:45:34 PM »
Not to troll at all, but I am pretty interested in where this will go. I think this may be a good thing for DT. I didn't like BCSL that much.

Oh and I love how shitstorm it is in here.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #223 on: September 08, 2010, 07:45:41 PM »
The thought of seeing DT live without MP just doesn't work. I'm sorry but I now have no desire to see them again, it would just be far too weird.

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #224 on: September 08, 2010, 07:45:52 PM »
I'm tearing up.
www.bedeceived.com

ZOMG WHAT'S AT BEDECEIVED.COM?

I DUNNO!  CLICK THE DARNED LINK TO FIND OUT!

Offline Aniland

« Reply #225 on: September 08, 2010, 07:46:20 PM »
 :chill

I am quite interested in seeing the band's responses.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #226 on: September 08, 2010, 07:47:29 PM »
I can't stop listening to the Score version of TSCO. This is way too sad.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #227 on: September 08, 2010, 07:47:33 PM »
Not to troll at all, but I am pretty interested in where this will go. I think this may be a good thing for DT. I didn't like BCSL that much.

Oh and I love how shitstorm it is in here.
DTF's biggest shitstorm to date.

:sadpanda:

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #228 on: September 08, 2010, 07:49:13 PM »
Well, okay, let's just do this:

- At least at the moment, while I'm not sure I 100% agree with it, I respect why MP left. While Samsara is right about the need to keep touring, I would have enjoyed them waiting longer to produce an album as well. This is kind of ironic actually, I think everyone just assumed that MP was the one who really liked the album-tour cycle and kept it going, and now he's leaving because it needed to be satiated. Also, there is a zero percent chance MP left Dream Theater unless he really did think about it. His letter to the fans was classy, honest, and emotionally genuine. It sounds kinda weird, but if LeBron had broken the news he was leaving Cleveland like MP broke the news he was leaving DT, people would feel a lot better about him.

And for what it's worth, if I thought MP was screwing the fans or Dream Theater I'd just say it. I don't like this on a number of levels, and there's a lot of internal politics going on here that we inevitably don't know about, but I really just don't have it in me to feel any anger toward MP. Like I just said, zero percent chance he would leave Dream Theater for a frivolous reason. He feels incomprehensibly sadder than we do about this, guaranteed.

- I personally wouldn't like it if MP joined Avenged Sevenfold, but it's none of our business what full-time project he joins next or if he decides to be a drumming nomad. Why anyone would be pissed off about him joining AX7 is beyond me. Although I think they write some good music so I'm biased that way.

- During DT's last tour they opened for Maiden and played at Madison Square Garden. From a live standpoint, I don't think there were many more barriers for MP to cross.

- I may or may not have commented on this in some other thread speculatively, but I guess now that MP's actually left the band I actually had to ask myself "what should DT do now?" And I almost instantly had a definitive answer: Bring in a new full-time drummer and continue.

Something that's hugely important but no one's really acknowledging is that JP has risen up to be the leader of DT now. Musically speaking, I hate to say I'm excited to hear DT without MP, but JP has the swagger, craftsmanship, and creativity to bring the band back together and write potentially great music. Maybe we'll even end up preferring how JP arranges DT songs on his own. Not something that I feel happy about typing but in a year who knows.

What really worries me is how much of DT was run on MP's force of personality. Official bootlegs, rotating setlists, personal updates from him about the band, the fact he did most of the interviews... What happens to all that? Obviously the band is motivated to continue making albums and touring, but I have this weird feeling it might have less of a personal feeling to it.

Which I guess is really the sad part. I've bitched and moaned about many things MP has said and done here (although hopefully complimented on just as much or more). And then for a lot of reasons I decided that complaining about things on internet forums is lame (except for Football), and that between the official bootlegs and the drum DVD's and the rotating sets he really does more for his fans than any member of any band. Losing all that in my mind sucks, but it's emotionally measurable. I'll live.

But the fact DT had an active personality at work in the first place is something unique that we took for granted. Whether you like or not how Portnoy become synonymous with DT, it meant there was something to the band beyond interviews and liner notes. Love or hate MP's vocals on ANTR, he responded to the criticism, and essentially it was getting a personal response from the band. The rotating setlists weren't just Mike Portnoy doing something cool for the fans, it by extension became part of the personality of the band as a whole.

And I don't know how DT's gonna do that now. MP leaving the band is like losing a family member because DT might be about to become something very cold and distant.

Stop and really think about it. Every other member of DT is a pretty quiet and reserved guy. Will it ever really be the same?

I was hoping that I could be more positive. Sorry.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 07:59:33 PM by ReaPsTA »
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Summers

« Reply #229 on: September 08, 2010, 07:49:26 PM »
I wonder if the band will play songs from the 12 step suite live now, seeing as they are so personal to MP.  Or songs like ACoS and TBoT (which I think they haven't played live yet anyways).  
Getting awful crowded in my sky.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #230 on: September 08, 2010, 07:49:50 PM »
This will be JMX's response.

............*picks up bass*

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #231 on: September 08, 2010, 07:50:41 PM »
Most Online Today: 628. Most Online Ever: 628 (Today at 08:43:00 PM)

There weren't even HALF that many when the last album was released...

Offline Talon

« Reply #232 on: September 08, 2010, 07:51:01 PM »
Well, okay, let's just do this:

- At least at the moment, while I'm not sure I 100% agree with it, I respect why MP left. While Samsara is right about the need to keep touring, I would have enjoyed them waiting longer to produce an album as well. This is kind of ironic actually, I think everyone just assumed that MP was the one who really liked the album-tour cycle and kept it going, and now he's leaving because it needed to be satiated. Also, there is a zero percent chance MP left Dream Theater unless he really did think about it. His letter to the fans was classy, honest, and emotionally genuine. It sounds kinda weird, but if LeBron had broken the news he was leaving Cleveland like MP broke the news he was leaving DT, people would feel a lot better about him.

And for what it's worth, if I thought MP was screwing the fans or Dream Theater I'd just say it. I don't like this on a number of levels, and there's a lot of internal politics going on here that we inevitably don't know about, but I really just don't have it in me to feel any anger toward MP. Like I just said, zero percent chance he would leave Dream Theater for a frivolous reason. He feels incomprehensibly sadder than we do about this, guaranteed.

- I personally wouldn't like it if MP joined Avenged Sevenfold, but it's none of our business what full-time project he joins next or if he decides to be a drumming nomad. Why anyone would be pissed off about him joining AX7 is beyond me. Although I think they write some good music so I'm biased that way.

- During DT's last tour they opened for Maiden and played at Madison Square Garden. From a live standpoint, I don't think there were many more barriers for MP to cross.

- I may or may not have commented on this in some other thread speculatively, but I guess not that MP's actually left the band I actually had to ask myself "what should DT do now?" And I almost instantly had a definitive answer: Bring in a new full-time drummer and continue.

Something that's hugely important but no one's really acknowledging is that JP has risen up to be the leader of DT now. Musically speaking, I hate to say I'm excited to hear DT without MP, but JP has the swagger, craftsmanship, and creativity to bring the band back together and write potentially great music. Maybe we'll even end up preferring how JP arranges DT songs on his own. Not something that I feel happy about typing but in a year who knows.

What really worries me is how much of DT was run on MP's force of personality. Official bootlegs, rotating setlists, personal updates from him about the band, the fact he did most of the interviews... What happens to all that? Obviously the band is motivated to continue making albums and touring, but I have this weird feeling it might have less of a personal feeling to it.

Which I guess is really the sad part. I've bitched and moaned about many things MP has said and done here (although hopefully complimented on just as much or more). And then for a lot of reasons I decided that complaining about things on internet forums is lame (except for Football), and that between the official bootlegs and the drum DVD's and the rotating sets he really does more for his fans than any member of any band. Losing all that in my mind sucks, but it's emotionally measurable. I'll live.

But the fact DT had an active personality at work in the first place is something unique that we took for granted. Whether you like or not how Portnoy become synonymous with DT, it meant there was something to the band beyond interviews and liner notes. Love or hate MP's vocals on ANTR, he responded to the criticism, and essentially it was getting a personal response from the band. The rotating setlists weren't just Mike Portnoy doing something cool for the fans, it by extension became part of the personality of the band as a whole.

And I don't know how DT's gonna do that now. MP leaving the band is like losing a family member because DT might be about to become something very cold and distant.

I was hoping that would be more positive. Sorry.

interesting

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #233 on: September 08, 2010, 07:51:12 PM »
This will be JMX's response.

............*picks up bass*

I half-heartedly chuckled.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
« Reply #234 on: September 08, 2010, 07:51:43 PM »
There are no words.

I just want to hear the band's official statement. Until then, I fear for the future.
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #235 on: September 08, 2010, 07:52:13 PM »
What I had to re-read is that he has been struggling with this for the past year, so obviously, he's been thinking about it longer than anyone else
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #236 on: September 08, 2010, 07:53:30 PM »
WHAT

WHAT

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #237 on: September 08, 2010, 07:53:58 PM »
www.bedeceived.com

ZOMG WHAT'S AT BEDECEIVED.COM?

I DUNNO!  CLICK THE DARNED LINK TO FIND OUT!

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #238 on: September 08, 2010, 07:54:00 PM »
It's their job. They have families to support. And they're not exactly mainstream.

A year off is a year of eating cold beans out of the tin.
So after 20 years they haven't saved money to spend 1 year without DT income? I find it hard to believe. Not to mention that they all can start their own solo projects or work with other bands/musicians in that time and still get decent income since 90% of their fanbase will buy almost everything they are a part of.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #239 on: September 08, 2010, 07:54:31 PM »
I legitimately just shed a tear while listening to DT...
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #240 on: September 08, 2010, 07:54:52 PM »
ReaPsTA, I think we are all in shock right now so that's why people are so negative.  Let it soak in and maybe when we hear of a replacement it will give us something positive to chew on.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #241 on: September 08, 2010, 07:55:39 PM »
How are they going to do songs like "A Nightmare to Remember" now? Who's gonna do the RORO?
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #242 on: September 08, 2010, 07:56:14 PM »
How are they going to do songs like "A Nightmare to Remember" now? Who's gonna do the RORO?
John Myung  :lol

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #243 on: September 08, 2010, 07:56:36 PM »
did we get any 'mike if you're reading this' n00bs show up yet?
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #244 on: September 08, 2010, 07:58:18 PM »
John Myung will. Trust me. Have you heard the man yodel?