Author Topic: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater  (Read 511514 times)

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater
« Reply #2100 on: October 07, 2010, 05:42:58 AM »
Mike didn't listen to anyone who pointed out his info on DT.net was moved, or doesn't understand what's so wrong about deleting JLB's tour dates from his forum or how he's in the wrong for doing that.  At least he acknowledge he reacted somewhat wrongfully to an out of context quote.  I'm sure it is really hard for him to see all these people lashing out at him in some way, but some time out of the spotlight would be GREAT for him right now.  Spend time with his family and A7X and maybe get a new perspective on the whole situation and just cool off.  I'm sure his mind is still blown that he left DT, but maybe this will help.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #2101 on: October 07, 2010, 05:49:30 AM »
All of this has made me like JP and JLB a lot more. And MP a lot less.

I can't say I'm surprised. But I'm still a little bit shocked that he hasn't learned anything about the internet in the last years.

I wish MP well in his future projects, and I really, REALLY hope that Transatlantic continues to release material and tour. But I also hope that DT finds another drummer that they STICK WITH FOR THE REST OF THEIR CAREER! All of the guys are kind of laid back, easygoing people. Portnoy is not that.

I respect him tremendesly as a drummer. But not anymore as a person.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2102 on: October 07, 2010, 06:03:31 AM »
Did you guys catch MP's response in that thread?

He publicly apologozes to James. That's cool! And admits it was "out of context". I was upset when I saw his post yesterday, but this is why I still love MP and will continue to cut him some slack while all of this blows over.

Well this is just absolutely insane...   

I have no idea what I said to insult everybody and how I ended up the bad guy here, but all this is EXACTLY why I am declining interview requests at the moment and why this is going to be my last post for a while...

I was totally dreading being misinterepreted, misunderstood and misrepresented...

I am really hurting badly over this....and this surely is not helping....

Smirnoff

Mike,

You have been an influence since my formative years as a drummer. You have bothered to come into House of Drumming and post an "open letter" basically saying "why don't you like me?"

That was many years ago....why bring that up now?????

Smirnoff

Between all that and the threads here lately getting deleted and the feud (which Randy Walker has explained a bit), don't you think that you AT LEAST owe an apology?

I dont know who I owe an apology to, but if you feel I owe you or the fan's one, I'm sorry if I hurt you in any way....

Smirnoff

How do you just press forward with deleting threads and pretending nothing happened?

Well actually, that's how alot of this started.....I DIDN'T "press foward with deleting threads and pretend nothing happened" (although now I kinda wished I did....)
I posted my reason why, and perhaps THAT was a mistake....but I thought I owed it to you guys to explain why the threads disappeared..

Smirnoff

Do you really think you are in the right here?

Honestly, I'm not exactly sure what I did wrong...I've always been very open, honest, genuine and don't beat around the bush or pull punches....

I was hurt that I was removed from the DT site and I was hurt by the "not sad at all" headline I read on Blabbermouth...(granted, I didnt hear the whole interview and was just shocked by the out of context headline...)

So for being duped by the media and speaking out on it, for that I am sorry as well...

Smirnoff

If all this continues, I would have to rethink my association with anyone like you. Sorry, but between your thing at The Drum Pad and what they have done for you

Huh??   
I honestly have NO IDEA what you are referring to.....I have always had a GREAT relationship with them and am still great friends with Victor Salazar...if there is some bad blood happening there, I am completely oblivious to it...

Smirnoff

and you treating people like garbage lately, something's gotta give!

I honestly have no idea how I am "treating people like garbage lately" either?????
I have tried to be as respectful, delicate and sensitive as possible....

If anything, I have been the one taking a beating left, right & center...my facebook, twitter and other websites have been completely taken over by angry fans (f*ck A7X, f*ck you, etc etc)...people who have obviously not read my reasons and simply on the attack....

You have NO IDEA how hard it is to watch thousands upon thousand of these posts....when I have given my heart and soul to these "fans" for all these years...and I am more hurt than they are right now....yet still, I bite my lip and try my best to continue to be as respectful, delicate and sensitive as possible....

(I'm treating THEM like garbage lately????? I'm still baffled...)   
Smirnoff

Please take a higher road and don't come off so childish and immature and bitter! I don't care if I get banned for saying all this, but you can't justify acting irrationally while saying "this is my site, I say what I want" thing. I have never seen so many people in complete disagreement with something you have said before. Maybe it's a sign to sit back, unplug that internet connection and really think about where you are as a person. Best wishes.

I will indeed do this.....Marlene and I have talked about this and I promised I was going to not read this stuff anymore and let it upset me....or chime in and post anymore either (she's probably gonna kill me for posting this!), but rather than NOT responding to this "open letter" and be perceived as somehow being "immature, bitter or childish", I decided to bite the bullet one last time, respond and properly sign off before disappearing...

Smirnoff

I hope you don't see this as me bashing you on any level. It's the honest assessment of what's been happening lately. I know you said that you hoped it wouldn't turn ugly. YOU started it.

I'm still not sure how *I* started it????
My reaction yesterday was just that....a *RE*action to an action (or two for that matter....even if one was "out of context")
That's not "starting"....that's "reacting"...

Smirnoff

Not anyone else's fault that the DT guys feel a sense of liberation from your controlling ways. Constant Motion, right? They can't win an argument... cause you always win. They should know it. Right?

Hey...this coming only a few sentences after saying you're not "bashing me on any level and an honest assessment of what's been happening lately"....
C'mon, that was a total cheap shot at me and not very nice at all...

Smirnoff

Keep the private matters private. Best of luck.

I do agree there as well....and it's probably nobody's business, but after reading that Blabbermouth headline, I emailed all 4 guys and none of them ever responded....
(and they still havent...)
I would've loved to have kept it private and hoped they would've responded when I reached out to them all, but they never did.....but then again, that's between us, so that's the last I will comment on that...

So being James never responded to me personally and chose to do it "publically", I'd like to publically apologize to him for apparently misunderstanding his quote out of context and deleting those threads...

(although I still cant understand why it's OK for DT.net to delete MP stuff, but not vise-versa....but it's OK....it's also the last I will comment on that as well!) 

And on that note, it is time for me to retire from posting for a while....

Contrary to what many people are thinking and saying (both here on my beloved Forum or other places where I am somehow now "the bad guy"), I am indeed hurting over all of this.....contrary to yesterday's Blabbermouth headline, *I* am indeed VERY sad over all of this....

These additional posts have already gone way too far (whether sensationalized by the media or simply read by the fans) and I need the 3 stickied threads (the press release, the Eddie Trunk interview, and my note to Forum) as well as one upcoming exclusive interview witg PROG magazine, to be all I say for a while....

Even in these tough times, I love you all dearly and cherish the relationship that I have developed with you all for all these years....

Please try to understand my situation and know it's been the hardest thing I've ever done....but it does NOT have to change anything between US!!

Over & Out,
MP

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #2103 on: October 07, 2010, 06:09:27 AM »
Oh, I read it. Still doesn't change the fact that he, instead of calling up James and straighten things out, decided to post a public attack on his own forum. In my eyes, that is REALLY childish and immature. Even more so than things he has done in the past.

If this case was isolated and the only recent incident where he's been acting a bit harsch, than I would have more understanding, given the recent situation. But coupled with everything that has happened, it has really made me lose respect for the human Portnoy. He's still an amazing drummer and I will continue to listen to all work he has done and will produce in the future. But I don't particulary care for him anymore, and hopes that he will take no part in DT anymore, aside from perhaps the occasional gig. (Like playing the AA suite in full or The Best of Times.)
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2104 on: October 07, 2010, 06:23:25 AM »
I'm glad Mike will stay away from the web for a while, it's the best for him.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2105 on: October 07, 2010, 06:36:23 AM »
Yeah. Staying away from the internet is the best idea.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #2106 on: October 07, 2010, 07:08:41 AM »
I probably read it too fast, but from skimming, I did not get the impression he actually comprehends excatly what he has done wrong. He is still playing the victim card.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2107 on: October 07, 2010, 07:18:53 AM »
With all due respect, that wasn't much of an apology.  It came across as very empty.

In the same sentence he supposedly apologizes to JLB, he all but chastises him for responding publically, when it was Portnoy who started this shitstorm by complaining about something on his forum the other day, IN PUBLIC, about something he completely misinterpreted.  

And did he really say he was duped by the media?  

He even still tries to make the four DT guys the bad buys, while remaining the good guy, by saying stuff like:

after reading that Blabbermouth headline, I emailed all 4 guys and none of them ever responded....
(and they still havent...)
I would've loved to have kept it private and hoped they would've responded when I reached out to them all, but they never did.....but then again, that's between us, so that's the last I will comment on that...

Talk about passive-aggressive...

No to offense to anyone, but I can't believe anyone would buy that "apology."  

P.S. I hope this post doesn't come across as disrespectful, or that it crossed the line at all.  It just stinks to see John Petrucci, James La Brie, Jordan Rudess and John Myung to have to take this crap, when they have done nothing to deserve it.  THEY deserve mad props for the way they are handling this. :)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2108 on: October 07, 2010, 07:19:25 AM »
He is still playing the victim card.

this

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #2109 on: October 07, 2010, 07:24:54 AM »
It would appear that nothing Mike says is going to save Mike in the court of public opinion at this time with a lot of people. The sad thing is, regardless of what he said, he will probably torture himself and soak in the feedback from his latest post and probably still lose his mind from the responses. I give him credit for responding to a no win situation. He must now try to stick to his words and be scarce for awhile, even though he has been keeping me entertained on a regular basis.

and lastly, this gif I made gets more funny to me everyday.

Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2110 on: October 07, 2010, 07:30:43 AM »
That gif makes me sad..

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2111 on: October 07, 2010, 07:33:18 AM »
That gif makes me sad..
Sorry. I see it as satire because it looks like something it isn't. I understand your feelings though. Watching Score a couple of days ago bummed me out.  :-[
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 07:39:09 AM by tick »

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2112 on: October 07, 2010, 07:36:50 AM »
The Wither video as a whole bums me out real bad.

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #2113 on: October 07, 2010, 07:38:05 AM »
The only way he could've saved himself from this situation was to apologize in a "holy shit, sorry, it was all my fault, i took it completely out of context"-kind of way.
To go out and write an ""apology"" like he did now is just stupid.

- He still think DT removed all of the MP-stuff on their site - THEY DIDN'T!!
- He thinks James was stupid because he didn't write to him an cleared out the situation in private - when Mike went out IN PUBLIC and called James a douche for not crying over MP's departure.
- He starts attacking the other DT-guys for not responding. Well, maybe they're getting a bit tired with this shit too! This reminds me when i broke up with my ex-girlfriend. She texted me for months calling me an asshole. When i stopped responding to all the crap i was receiving, eventually the shit stopped.
- He still think that everyone should be sorry for him, even though he acts like a spoiled 10-year old kid (sorry, but it's really childish). He has to remember that most Dream Theater fans like DT for the music, not because of him!

:censored

Offline GuinnessSteve

« Reply #2114 on: October 07, 2010, 07:42:37 AM »
My friend and I are in agreement. We're really glad we saw them at the Palladium this year. It was the best DT show either of us had seen and the last time we'd see them as we knew and loved them. Whether this change is for better or for worse, at least we saw that show.

That being said, is anyone else following JLB's twitter reminded of the term "send in the clowns"? I've only recently started following him, but he seems to be saying "Hey, hey over here! Solo album! Pay no attention to the DT behind the curtain! Nothing to see here!"

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2115 on: October 07, 2010, 07:42:53 AM »
Yeah, Mike Portnoy links are still on the site? What's the problem? Does he still wanted to be listed as a member of the band?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2116 on: October 07, 2010, 07:45:39 AM »
most Dream Theater fans like DT for the music, not because of him!

I always found DT was the one band where I enjoyed the players as much as the stuff they played....

Offline Moonchild

• There can be only one! muahahaha
« Reply #2117 on: October 07, 2010, 07:45:52 AM »
2112 was surpassed.  :tup

Offline GuinnessSteve

« Reply #2118 on: October 07, 2010, 08:04:28 AM »
most Dream Theater fans like DT for the music, not because of him!

I always found DT was the one band where I enjoyed the players as much as the stuff they played....

Agreed.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2119 on: October 07, 2010, 08:07:26 AM »
So yeah, he really hasn't learned a thing.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2120 on: October 07, 2010, 08:22:22 AM »
That being said, is anyone else following JLB's twitter reminded of the term "send in the clowns"? I've only recently started following him, but he seems to be saying "Hey, hey over here! Solo album! Pay no attention to the DT behind the curtain! Nothing to see here!"

God forbid he promote his new solo album and tour while DT is on break until January.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #2121 on: October 07, 2010, 08:31:52 AM »
I like how a lot of people on MP's forum are chastising that guy for saying what needed to be said to Portnoy.
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2122 on: October 07, 2010, 08:38:00 AM »

God forbid he promote his new solo album and tour while DT is on break until January.

They're breaking till January?  I'm surprised; how long a break did MP want???

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #2123 on: October 07, 2010, 08:38:47 AM »
From Jordan's Twitter:

"Dream Theater will be having closed/private auditions for our new drummer this month. We will let u all know the moment we make a decision!"

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2124 on: October 07, 2010, 08:39:18 AM »
I like how a lot of people on MP's forum are chastising that guy for saying what needed to be said to Portnoy.
Its called Brown nosing.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2125 on: October 07, 2010, 08:39:26 AM »

They're breaking till January?  I'm surprised; how long a break did MP want???

I believe he said he wanted a year, year and a half.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2126 on: October 07, 2010, 08:40:42 AM »
Mike response simply wasn't an apology. It was just a, "well, I'm not sorry, and I don't know why I should be saying I'm sorry, but I'm sad my fans are angry at me."

Yeah, and I also loved how the "thousands and thousands" of posts were given the classic MP "quotes" treatment. They were written by his "fans," the phonies, not his actual FANS. Even though many of those users posting-- heck, nearly all-- were longtime users of the MP forum.

This quote from Smirnoff really represents exactly what MP hasn't tackled yet, and will probably refuse to ever tackle now:

No. You STARTED it because up until now none of the DT cats have said ANYTHING negative towards you. You were the first to call James' comments "disrespectful" and all that junk. You threw the first punch here. Your "reaction" was simply inappropriate. Love you, bro, but I will call you out when it's some BS. You threw the first punch, simple as that. I think some people will also see it that way. There was no "action" from James for you to react to. He didn't say ANYTHING disrespectful towards you in a public forum.

What makes it more interesting is that Mike still hasn't acknowledged that HIS STUFF IS STILL ON DT.NET!!!

One last point: him criticizing James for NOT CALLING him to talk about things before James clarified things for HIS fans was just so painfully ironic. Did Mike call James to talk before he decided to launch his tragically unsuccessful crusade against James LaBrie and his fans? Most definitely not.  The whole part of Mike's post reeked of: "I'm still pissed because James did exactly what I would have done, only James spoke like a professional, unlike me."

But as someone pointing out on MP.com, Mike's fans are now rebuking him as if he is an immature child. That, I think, is true on multiple levels, sad as it may be.

Anyway, everyone has had a time in their life where they've learned that a public figure, musician, athlete, etc., that they look up to can be a very human, imperfect, and sometimes even downright scummy person. I'm not saying MP is "scummy," but this has definitely been 'that' kind of experience for me. Sadly, this week I've seen a side of one of my favorite public figures that I never like having to see. And that person was MP.

I'm not going for a false-bravado here, really. It's just becoming harder and harder to reconcile the awesome guy who's made my night at many 'a concert with what I've seen this week.

Not much else for me to say. At this point, there's really nothing to chime in about. What Mike posted on his forum totally represents how he sees things, for better or worse-- most definitely for worse actually. I really do hope Mike will step away from the internet. We will see how he handles himself with the new drummer and new album come out.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #2127 on: October 07, 2010, 08:42:41 AM »
Its called Brown nosing.
I'd call it something else, but I think the the mods would probably ban me for saying it so I won't  :lol
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2128 on: October 07, 2010, 08:43:28 AM »
From Jordan's Twitter:

"Dream Theater will be having closed/private auditions for our new drummer this month. We will let u all know the moment we make a decision!"
Wouldn't it be a kick in the pants if it becomes the guy who wrote Mike the open letter. :lol

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2129 on: October 07, 2010, 08:48:05 AM »
From Jordan's Twitter:

Wouldn't it be a kick in the pants if it becomes the guy who wrote Mike the open letter. :lol

:lol :tup

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2130 on: October 07, 2010, 08:48:35 AM »
This whole situation is absurd.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2131 on: October 07, 2010, 08:53:57 AM »
As I said earlier, I'm having trouble seeing how Mike can reconcile his sudden departure with Kevin's own, and still defend himself as self-righteously as he has.  Especially since he's made such a tantrum, how could he be mad at Kevin who never said a word of negativity about him or anyone else after leaving DT?

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2132 on: October 07, 2010, 08:54:44 AM »
I probably read it too fast, but from skimming, I did not get the impression he actually comprehends excatly what he has done wrong. He is still playing the victim card.

Definitely this.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2133 on: October 07, 2010, 08:58:08 AM »
GUYS

I'M REALLY FUCKING PISSED

RIGHT NOW

First, read my post yesterday:
Even the usual MP.com Portnoy Army isn't defending him. Plus, Mike Portnoy of all people is not entitled in anyway to comment on James LaBrie disrespecting him. What a joke! The guy who's said-- time and time again-- that he doesn't like James' voice, or that James 'sounded like shit' on x-night, or that verses need to be cut since James can't sing them anymore (even when James disagrees) or that James isn't who they'd pick if DT were hiring a vocalist today is mad that James saying he 'isn't sad' about the future of the band is disrespectful???

Now read what NICKY SPANJAARDS said on the JLB forum earlier today
Plus, Mike Portnoy of all people is not entitled in anyway to comment on James LaBrie disrespecting him. What a joke! The guy who has said (time and time again) that he doesn't like James' voice, or that James 'sounded like shit' on x-night, or that verses need to be cut since James can't sing them anymore (even when James disagrees) or that James isn't who they'd pick if DT were hiring a vocalist today, is mad that James saying he 'isn't sad' about the future of the band is disrespectful???

https://www.jameslabrie.com/forum/index.php?topic=792.15

Dude. I DEFENDED HIS VOICE!

WHATTHEFUCK

>:(

Okay I'm really not upset about this, just thinks it's kinda funny. But come'on man! If you're gonna steal someone else post at least change the words around and stuff!

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2134 on: October 07, 2010, 09:05:15 AM »
You've just been plagiarized!

If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?