Author Topic: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater  (Read 510754 times)

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater
« Reply #2030 on: October 06, 2010, 09:53:35 AM »
Kind of funny, because last month in an interview he said he wasn't into James' singing style anymore and now he's pissed because the guys aren't sad.

IMO his statement was more insulting than James' one.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #2031 on: October 06, 2010, 10:06:05 AM »
LOL, the thread got deleted, just check out MP.com.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2032 on: October 06, 2010, 10:06:45 AM »
What a complete and total embarrassment Mike Portnoy has become.  If you read that thread at his forum, even the vast majority of people there thought he was totally out of line, and they usually defend him to the death.  That says it all about how childish and immature he is acting.  And like I said before, the sad thing is that he probably doesn't even realize it.  I shudder to think at how he is gonna react when the band announces their new drummer, releases a new album, announces tour dates, etc.

Offline pmigueljr

« Reply #2033 on: October 06, 2010, 10:09:23 AM »

Very respectful, huh...

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2034 on: October 06, 2010, 10:09:41 AM »

Knew it'd happen. I have some of the "terrible" posts from the first two pages screen-capped. lol. At least Mike saw it, though. Apparently, he logged it and then it disappeared.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 10:15:32 AM by Perpetual Change »

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2035 on: October 06, 2010, 10:13:47 AM »
Even if it's been deleted, Portnoy's act of deleting James' tourdates has already been done and MP's comments have been spread to this forum and other forums.  He should've thought out his actions and comments a little more.  Even if he deleted the comments, they've been made.  And it's soured some fans opinions of him.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #2036 on: October 06, 2010, 10:15:53 AM »

Knew it'd happen. I have some of the "terrible" posts from the first two pages screen-capped. lol. At least Mike saw it, though. Apparently, he logged it and then it disappeared.

I'd like to see them. I want to see how badly he's overreacting

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2037 on: October 06, 2010, 10:19:45 AM »
I have the first 2 pages pretty much back at my office. I can show you tomorrow, granted that there's no issue with posting what was said there here.

After two pages I stopped, because I have a life and all. But the what was on the first two pages is pretty much how the thread went. I will upload them to a photo-bucket tomorrow.

It's really just a lot of people asking/begging for Mike to see reason and listen to the whole interview. In the whole thread there were maybe two or three sycophants saying "OH MY GOD MIKE I CANT BELIEVE MY EYES EITHER."

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2038 on: October 06, 2010, 10:28:15 AM »
I have the first 2 pages pretty much back at my office. I can show you tomorrow, granted that there's no issue with posting what was said there here.

Yeah, same. I figured the thread would've eventually been deleted, knowing MP.com, so I saved them to Evernote. I've got a lot of the third page, too.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2039 on: October 06, 2010, 10:31:20 AM »
I am pretty sure this already means another KM like relationship with the band....

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2040 on: October 06, 2010, 10:32:43 AM »
My theory is......

.... Better not go down that road, Mike...

Perp, a really great post! :tup
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2041 on: October 06, 2010, 10:48:02 AM »
I am pretty sure this already means another KM like relationship with the band....

The funny thing is that it wasn't an issue with KM and the band, it was an issue with KM and one band member.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2042 on: October 06, 2010, 10:51:37 AM »
We should expect Raise the Hatchet and/or Always Never Enough now.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2043 on: October 06, 2010, 11:00:39 AM »
I'll give someone a dollar via pay-pal for posting the JLB tour dates and saying something like "So, I just noticed there's no thread about the JLB tour here. Anyone going? How about a meetup?"

Oddly, not only is the thread about James' tour gone, all album discussion is gone too.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2044 on: October 06, 2010, 11:03:09 AM »
I can just see it now: all threads about new DT albums/tours/news are gonna be locked and deleted. :lol :lol

But hey, it is his website and he can do what he wants, but he is gonna drive away a lot of his forum members. 

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2045 on: October 06, 2010, 11:06:26 AM »
Yes, because no one over there knows who DT are and they can't find information about them in other places. He sure showed them, 2 less fans on their next tour, I don't know how they will be able to make any money off of that :D Anyway, enough MP discussion/gossip from me. I'm sticking with the band and I also am not sad, not at all.

Offline Jamariquay

• When in Rome...
« Reply #2046 on: October 06, 2010, 11:08:36 AM »
 :corn

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2047 on: October 06, 2010, 11:10:32 AM »

The funny thing is that it wasn't an issue with KM and the band, it was an issue with KM and one band member.

Yeah.  As a big KM fan, I've been quietly comparing MP's departure to KM's departure.  Seeing how this MP/DT divorce is going so far and how sensitive and even childish MP was in this LaBrie situation, I'm starting to look at the KM/DT and MP/OSI departures in new light.  That's all I'll say for now.  I'm not sure how to word my thoughts just yet.

I will say, however, that Kevin left quietly and never commented badly on the band afterwards -- even when MP trashed him in Lifting Shadows and other interviews.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #2048 on: October 06, 2010, 11:14:30 AM »
I'll give someone a dollar via pay-pal for posting the JLB tour dates and saying something like "So, I just noticed there's no thread about the JLB tour here. Anyone going? How about a meetup?"

Oddly, not only is the thread about James' tour gone, all album discussion is gone too.
Just made a new thread with the tour dates. I really wonder if i will be banned. I dont really care to be honest, after the recent situation...

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #2049 on: October 06, 2010, 11:15:11 AM »
Ohhh Mike...  :facepalm:
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2050 on: October 06, 2010, 11:17:22 AM »

Just made a new thread with the tour dates. I really wonder if i will be banned. I dont really care to be honest, after the recent situation...
Awesome :lol
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2051 on: October 06, 2010, 11:20:50 AM »

I'd like to see them. I want to see how badly he's overreacting

Me too.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2052 on: October 06, 2010, 11:31:09 AM »
I'm not sure why he took objection to his name being removed from DT.net, either. He's not in the band! Derek Sherinian's name isn't there, either!

If you're going to quit the band, you're out of the band. That's what it means. Still. Nice that he was "willing to ignore" it.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2053 on: October 06, 2010, 11:32:20 AM »
Plus his DT.net stuff was just moved to the side, not off the site.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2054 on: October 06, 2010, 11:49:18 AM »
Dream Theater makes it sound like he left the band. Mike makes it sound like the band kicked him out. I don't think anyone is actually 100% sure on what really went down in the final days.

That's all true.  But the very first thing most of us heard was that Mike had left the band, and there was the statement written by Mike himself, saying that he had left the band.

Ever since then, he's been talking about how he wishes it'd gone down differently (which I'm sure is true) and trying to imply that he was indeed kicked out.  Or at the very least, that whether he "left" or was "kicked out" is mere semantics.  It's not.  They're pretty much opposites.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2055 on: October 06, 2010, 11:53:20 AM »
I'm not sure why he took objection to his name being removed from DT.net, either. He's not in the band! Derek Sherinian's name isn't there, either!

If you're going to quit the band, you're out of the band. That's what it means. Still. Nice that he was "willing to ignore" it.

Good point.  I guess he feels like it was done rather expeditiously.  But it needed to be done sooner or later.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2056 on: October 06, 2010, 11:56:02 AM »

Good point.  I guess he feels like it was done rather expeditiously.  But it needed to be done sooner or later.

Seeing as their bio hasn't been updated since Octavarium, I guess I can kind of understand why that would piss him off.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2057 on: October 06, 2010, 12:04:44 PM »

I found it rather ironic that he is pissed off about him not being talked about as a DT member anymore but that he don't want to hear talking about Dream Theater's stuff on his forum. I mean, you can't really have both right?

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2058 on: October 06, 2010, 01:16:53 PM »
I can see how he will never be back to DT. He's out, for good.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #2059 on: October 06, 2010, 01:30:50 PM »
I think they just deleted the topic about the JLB tour in MP forum...WTF

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2060 on: October 06, 2010, 01:40:42 PM »
Is Mike fucking retarded?

I've had quite enough of this. The next post like this or even close to this WILL be getting a ban. If you feel negativity towards anyone that's fine, if you want to voice your opinion that's fine, but you WILL do it in a respectful manner.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2061 on: October 06, 2010, 01:44:42 PM »
As a recently banned member of MP.com I wasn't surprised by his actions at all. He used to be a hero to me, and I was gutted when I read the news that he'd quit. That was before I was banned for the slightest thing. I could not believe it at first. My girlfriend thinks it' hilarious.
I still go there and read the posts. In fact I was doing just that when the post was pulled. You are not allowed to disagree with the word of MP.
How on earth did the rest of the band live and work in that environment for so long? And produce the great music they did? No wonder they took this chance to get rid of him.
At one time I used to think "MP for President" and I still do. Unfortunately it's for President of North Korea...

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2062 on: October 06, 2010, 01:47:39 PM »
My take on the situation is this- I find this early in the game and on a forum this was certainly the wrong move on MPs part. MP is now a former member of DT and as such his stuff should be moved to the side on DT.net. I don't see any malice there, however there certainly may have been behind the scenes and we certainly don't know much for sure.

That said there is a difference between a website and a forum, and while controlling what is put on a website is easy I don't think it's reasonable to try and cut down on what is posted on the forum about Dream Theater and its remaining members. I think if MP wanted to not post anything on MP.com the site or post anything personally about what the guys is doing that would be perfectly normal, but I do think it's a bit extreme (yet still within his rights as it is HIS site) to try and crush discussion on the forum.

In the end I think this will create a nice surge in users here at least.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Martinman300

« Reply #2063 on: October 06, 2010, 02:03:00 PM »
Anyone else think the drummer of jlb's new album would be great? And he's a good singer too, for backing.

Offline MajorMatt

• DT.net Member
« Reply #2064 on: October 06, 2010, 02:41:00 PM »
This just in from JLB....

Hi Everyone,

It seems there is an misunderstanding. When I said I was not sad with Mike's departure, it unfortunately leaves plenty of room to misconstrue such words. No one can tell you or me how to think and feel. Initially with Mike's departure I was extremely upset, down and shocked. But one needs to deal and work through these emotions in order to arrive at a more positive and optimistic place. That is where I am now and was when the interview took place. Let me put it more plain and simple. Life does not afford us the luxury to wallow in our sorrow. You have to deal with the situation at hand and make it a productive and positive endeavor. In other words, onward and upward. Mike made it perfectly clear why he chose the current path. I would much rather his words be the definitive answer. In the end does it really matter what our views are, other than human curiosity it doesn't change a thing. I have said my peace and believe there is no room for misinterpretation. I will give no further weight to this subject, all has been said.

Sincerely,

James.