Author Topic: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater  (Read 512462 times)

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Re: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater
« Reply #1365 on: September 15, 2010, 10:18:28 PM »
also gonna be sad not seeing the monster drum kit

opposite for me. I would love to see a drummer with less material around him, who instead focuses more on the rhythms themselves than on the drum sound.
I always have to think of Paul Geary, Extreme's first drummer, who had a bass drum, a snare, hihat and a crash. And he left nothing to be desired.

rumborak

Bleh, this kind of false dichotomy between focusing on playing well and having a big kit is ridiculous.

Whoever they get is gonna be a big kit drummer. The previous material simply requires it to be reproduced.

And, I mean, dude, Gavin Harrison is a big kit drummer. Would anyone say that holds him back from focusing on groove?
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1366 on: September 15, 2010, 10:24:45 PM »
As a drummer, I also agree with the whole "Big kits are less creative, and small kits are more tasteful" thing. They should be as big or small as the drummer needs. It's like saying 6 string guitarists are more creative than 8 string simply because of the number of strings.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #1367 on: September 15, 2010, 11:29:58 PM »
It's weird that there haven't been any more updates from the band yet.

I'm assuming they are trying to figure and sort their lives out before they say something that they might have to contradict again in the future.

This. Frankly, I think the next thing we're going to hear from the band is the announcement of the new drummer.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1368 on: September 15, 2010, 11:44:22 PM »
It's weird that there haven't been any more updates from the band yet.

I'm assuming they are trying to figure and sort their lives out before they say something that they might have to contradict again in the future.

This. Frankly, I think the next thing we're going to hear from the band is the announcement of the new drummer.

This... and I don't expect any related announcement until at LEAST Christmas. These guys have projects to write/record/release/promote between now and going back into the studio in January, so they'll be busy. Choosing a drummer right now may only be in the "Suggestion Box" phase, but actual auditions may not happen until they're ready to go into the studio.

Why do auditions and leave them hanging for 4 months, whether or not they make a choice? Also, I think whoever they chose may influence the direction of the writing, so if they still want to write/record simultaneously as they have done for the majority of their last few albums, they'll probably wait, which is why I don't think they'll audition, let alone choose a drummer until December or January.

It would be silly to audition now and pick someone and be like "Hang tight, we'll see you in 4 months". They have no deadlines for the band right now, so they can relax on that subject. JLB has Static Impulse coming out, and IIRC he said he wanted to do some shows to promote it; JP is working on his second solo album; JMX is/was working on the third Jelly Jam; JR is toying around with instruments/improvising/writing an orchestra piece. They're busy, just not touring (like MP is), so I don't think they'll take the time to reconvene to pick anyone so soon.

Until then, we have plenty of DT-related goodness to listen to/wait for!

-Marc.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 09:25:27 AM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1369 on: September 16, 2010, 06:23:38 AM »
As a drummer, I also agree with the whole "Big kits are less creative, and small kits are more tasteful" thing. They should be as big or small as the drummer needs. It's like saying 6 string guitarists are more creative than 8 string simply because of the number of strings.

Completely agree with you and Reap.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1370 on: September 16, 2010, 07:42:49 AM »
Back to my question then.  Under what circumstances do you need three bass drums?

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1371 on: September 16, 2010, 07:55:25 AM »
Back to my question then.  Under what circumstances do you need three bass drums?

When you basically need two different kits on stage at the same time....

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #1372 on: September 16, 2010, 08:09:17 AM »
Neil Peart's kit is fucking huge, and he manages to be extremely creative with it.

I don't care how big the drum kit is, as long as he makes good music with it

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1373 on: September 16, 2010, 08:34:02 AM »
Anyone think that there is some huge underlying factor to all of this that we as the fans have not been informed of?

Offline James007

• Beatles Apologist
  • Waiting for the new Threshold album.
« Reply #1374 on: September 16, 2010, 08:36:34 AM »
Anyone think that there is some huge underlying factor to all of this that we as the fans have not been informed of?
no
It was there right before our eyes, we were blind not to realize
In the rush to be globalized we signed away our freedom
We forgot how to criticize, we were scared to be demonized
As the truth was neutralized we lost the art of reason.

- Threshold "The Art of Reason"

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1375 on: September 16, 2010, 09:17:09 AM »
As I have been living under a rock on Mars for the last few weeks, I've only heard this news today. I'm still in shock. Like so many others on here, I read the announcement in disbelief.

I'm trying to remain optimistic. I'm looking forward to the next DT album, as it will be interesting to see what direction their music goes in without Mike, but goddamn, it won't be the same band. Mike gave DT 200% more than any other band-member has given any other band. The set-lists, the Ytsejam boots, etc etc. I feel so sorry for whoever the next drummer is - he has some mighty big shoes to fill.

Also, knowing Mike, he won't be away too long. I can see him putting together his own band in a few years time.

I wonder how much of this is down to the poor ticket sales on the last tour. I said at the time that it was a mistake to tour the ProgNation tour first - too many people stayed away and waited for a full BC&SL tour that never came. I can fully see that the rest of DT would want to get back on the road with a new album/tour as quickly as possible.

Part of me wonders whether this is a temporary thing - DT are planing to  do one album and tour without MP before reuniting with him after the break Mike clearly wants and needs.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1376 on: September 16, 2010, 09:19:36 AM »

Yes, but I get that some fans want to think that their musical heroes would never not tell us everything, even though some things are obviously better left unsaid, at least for now.

Offline Sixtease

« Reply #1377 on: September 16, 2010, 09:33:56 AM »

No, actually I don't think there's a huge underlying factor. Mike makes the impression of an open book to me. Of course he didn't say totally everything but I think that if there were something really huge, he'd not manage to not mention it.

I think the most major unsaid factor can be that Mike simply acts and talks a bit egocentric, which the band is discreetly silent of.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1378 on: September 16, 2010, 10:49:24 AM »
Kev, that's hardly fair on the rest of us. If you guys want to believe in some kind of hidden agenda or conspiracy then go ahead, but don't rag on the rest of us just because we're being less cynical about it. Members leave bands all the time with no controversy, why should this be any different?

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1379 on: September 16, 2010, 10:56:46 AM »
exactly. I'm amazed how much people are starting rumors or their minds are thinkin up all kinds of crazy idea's when it was plainly said he wanted a break. Don't read to much into it because theirs nothing else.

What I do know is I can't wait to hear input from the other guys finally.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1380 on: September 16, 2010, 11:21:07 AM »
Neil Peart's kit is fucking huge, and he manages to be extremely creative with it.

Obviously there is not a "everybody with a big kit sucks" relation as there are clearly quite a few great drummers with big kits. But, big kits invite themselves to boring fills and sound overkill ("now splash #2, now China #5!"). Overall I find that drummers with smaller kits have their priorities more often in order.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline LTE3

« Reply #1381 on: September 16, 2010, 11:27:21 AM »

opposite for me. I would love to see a drummer with less material around him, who instead focuses more on the rhythms themselves than on the drum sound.
I always have to think of Paul Geary, Extreme's first drummer, who had a bass drum, a snare, hihat and a crash. And he left nothing to be desired.

rumborak

That is basically what everyother lame drummer plays these days. In the words of Neil Peart "often less is not more less is just less"
Scheming demons dressed in kingly guise, beating down the multitude and scoffing at the wise.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1382 on: September 16, 2010, 11:36:17 AM »
I don't believe Mike, or Neil (or many big kit drummers for that matter) have ever played a big kit to just be like "Hey, look at how big my kit is". Many of them have evolved their drum kit over the years, to help them express and play certain things with more sounds. MP's kit started with just 6 toms, a snare and two basses, but then it GREW. It's not like he started with the Siamese monster. Neil's classic Slingerland was just two floor toms, 3 rack toms, 2 basses and a snare during Fly By Night, but later added the concert toms to allow for more creatively expressive fills. Besides, as a drummer, I get chills when I heard the full 8-tom run fills that Neil did back in the day.

I think if you have a big kit, you gotta prove you can use everything, and effectively, to the point of each piece being meaningful, and not just being a show-piece. John Bonham only had 3 toms, a snare, and a bass drums but he made it SOUND huge, and I think he's one famous drummer who effectively used what he had. Sure he could've played with as many toms as Keith Moon did but that wasn't his style. It also all comes down to style. Progressive rock/metal are often known for drummer with big kits, and as such, some drummers LEARN that style, and grow up playing big kits (like myself). But there is no reason these drummers have to be labelled any way that a stereo-type of "big kit drummers" might be. If they can play well, I think kit size shouldn't matter. If they want to prove something, they'll play a smaller kit sometimes. Really, to me, the best drummers are the ones who can sit behind any size kit and just PLAY, and play well. Adaption from kit to kit really shows what a drummer can do outside of their comfort zone. I enjoy playing a 4-piece every now and then, it's challenging and allows me to focus of the dynamics and range of what's there, rather than relying on the multiple things to express certain dynamics and range (be they drums or cymbals).

For example, I loved that Neil recorded "Malignant Narcissism" on a small kit, and that in no way hindered his playing on that song. I think it's a close-minded mentality when people thing "small kits = no creativity". Sometimes it's just the opposite. But again the kit size may depend on the genre or style you're trying to employ, and as I said, bands like DT often have the sound of big kits.

And whoever they decide to get to replace MP will probably have a relatively big kit (i.e. bigger than a 5-piece). They also have to learn how to cover the band's older songs too, which have the signature big kit sound that MP had... but that really depends on who they get. I wouldn't mind hearing old DT songs on a 6 or 7 piece kit, like NDV or Gavin Harrison use. I will miss the octabans though.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline LTE3

« Reply #1383 on: September 16, 2010, 11:38:11 AM »

rumborak

Bleh, this kind of false dichotomy between focusing on playing well and having a big kit is ridiculous.

Whoever they get is gonna be a big kit drummer. The previous material simply requires it to be reproduced.

And, I mean, dude, Gavin Harrison is a big kit drummer. Would anyone say that holds him back from focusing on groove?

Great point, Gavin is amazing and a grooving mf'er. I always wish drummers like Brann Dailor would play a larger kit so we can really see some creativity.
Scheming demons dressed in kingly guise, beating down the multitude and scoffing at the wise.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1384 on: September 16, 2010, 11:57:32 AM »
Kev, that's hardly fair on the rest of us. If you guys want to believe in some kind of hidden agenda or conspiracy then go ahead, but don't rag on the rest of us just because we're being less cynical about it. 

Okay, I understand where you are coming from, but it is not like I think there is a hidden agenda or conspiracy; I just think there is a lot more going on than what we know right now, but some are taking everything that has been said at face value and acting like that is the end-all be-all of what has happened, as if there is nothing more to it.  I am sorry, but I just don't buy that. 

Portnoy saying his personal relationships weren't as good with the DT members is a major implication that something was wrong besides him just being tired of DT.  Odds are, the truth will come out in time.

Members leave bands all the time with no controversy, why should this be any different?

Are you really asking that?  Mike Portnoy leaving Dream Theater is a pretty big deal, relatively speaking, in regards to the band and its dynamic.  That doesn't just happen without any controversy, like some random bass player leaving his band because he wanted to spend more time with his family.  I know you know better than that.

Offline wasp2020

« Reply #1385 on: September 16, 2010, 12:06:53 PM »
If Mike really was a total open book, wouldn't everyone have known about his thoughts about leaving/taking a break a year ago?

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1386 on: September 16, 2010, 12:11:59 PM »
If Mike really was a total open book, wouldn't everyone have known about his thoughts about leaving/taking a break a year ago?
Mike never wanted to leave and it was a known fact that DT (read MP) wanted to take a break.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1387 on: September 16, 2010, 12:23:04 PM »

Okay, I understand where you are coming from, but it is not like I think there is a hidden agenda or conspiracy; I just think there is a lot more going on than what we know right now, but some are taking everything that has been said at face value and acting like that is the end-all be-all of what has happened, as if there is nothing more to it.  I am sorry, but I just don't buy that. 

I agree their might be more, but if they don't want to say anything then good for them, I don't care at all. Theirs reasons why they might not want to say anything. Just saying MP was leaving caused so much to happen and with the internet how it is today, one thing can cause a massive storm to brew and then all hell breaks loose.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1388 on: September 16, 2010, 01:33:39 PM »

Obviously there is not a "everybody with a big kit sucks" relation as there are clearly quite a few great drummers with big kits. But, big kits invite themselves to boring fills and sound overkill ("now splash #2, now China #5!"). Overall I find that drummers with smaller kits have their priorities more often in order.

rumborak

What you call sound overkill I call lack of boredom.
Over and over again

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1389 on: September 16, 2010, 01:43:57 PM »
I will sum my thoughts up very quickly.

You can do everything on a big kit that you can do on a small kit, and more.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1390 on: September 16, 2010, 02:14:08 PM »
and more.
Not trying to be rude... but no you can't...

(That wasn't sounding rude, I'm just disagreeing)

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1391 on: September 16, 2010, 02:15:14 PM »
and more.

I have no idea what this post is. It's neither funny nor logically correct.
Over and over again

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1392 on: September 16, 2010, 02:16:31 PM »
What do you mean? I wasn't trying to be funny at all.

How can you do more on a small kit?

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1393 on: September 16, 2010, 02:22:41 PM »
read his post again

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1394 on: September 16, 2010, 02:23:25 PM »
and more.

I don't think you read his post the right way.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1395 on: September 16, 2010, 02:24:27 PM »
Whoops. Sorry Nick, my bad. :azn:

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1396 on: September 16, 2010, 03:46:56 PM »
It's still surreal that he left. I found out last week and my jaw dropped.

Still, even more excited to see what DT can produce.

Offline j

« Reply #1397 on: September 16, 2010, 04:44:14 PM »
Kev, that's hardly fair on the rest of us. If you guys want to believe in some kind of hidden agenda or conspiracy then go ahead, but don't rag on the rest of us just because we're being less cynical about it. 

Yup.  I would think this is pretty obvious.  It's painfully naive to think that you've been given the whole story, just as it's overly cynical to make it into a giant conspiracy.

-J

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1398 on: September 16, 2010, 04:51:58 PM »
Maybe MP will form a semi-permanent band with his buddies Paul Gilbert, Billy Sheehan, and Gary Cherone.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1399 on: September 16, 2010, 04:55:47 PM »
Maybe MP will form a semi-permanent band with his buddies Paul Gilbert, Billy Sheehan, and Gary Cherone.

What I'm hoping he'll do is reunite Yellow Matter Custard for another show with an entirely different set. On the commentary for the One Night In New York DVD, he mentions they had a set of over 60 songs or so, and wittled it down to half that for the final set list and said they could've done a second show with an entirely different set list!

I'm hoping he revisits that idea and presents 25-30 more Beatles covers, entirely different from the ones he did back then.

Also, any band (cover or otherwise) he does with Paul Gilbert would be amazing. Perhaps he could cover a different band (one that isn't The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Rush, or The Who), or do the supposed 5th cover album he wanted to do with Dream Theater. Whatever he does, Paul could cover ANYTHING Mike would have his heart set on.

-Marc.