Author Topic: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater  (Read 512193 times)

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater
« Reply #1295 on: September 13, 2010, 05:39:30 PM »
:getoffmylawn: ariich!!!

"We are closer than ever" or Maybe not that much

After this event didn't you notice this? Mike always said in the interviews that they were closer than ever, that their recordings were working like they always wanted... but now that he's gone, it maybe wasn't so? He was the spokesman and he always wanted to portray a good image of the band, right? But there's so much dust you can pull below the rug...

Do you think that the rest of the guys weren't that happy as we were told? Or that they indeed were that happy and closer than ever, that they decided to continue with or without MP?

Discuss.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1296 on: September 13, 2010, 05:41:24 PM »
Norwood is a classy fellow who knows what he is talking about.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1297 on: September 13, 2010, 06:55:32 PM »
Norwood is a classy fellow who knows what he is talking about.
:lol

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #1298 on: September 13, 2010, 07:40:36 PM »
:getoffmylawn: ariich!!!

"We are closer than ever" or Maybe not that much

After this event didn't you notice this? Mike always said in the interviews that they were closer than ever, that their recordings were working like they always wanted... but now that he's gone, it maybe wasn't so? He was the spokesman and he always wanted to portray a good image of the band, right? But there's so much dust you can pull below the rug...

Do you think that the rest of the guys weren't that happy as we were told? Or that they indeed were that happy and closer than ever, that they decided to continue with or without MP?

Discuss.

I think for MP, closer than ever meant that everyone knew their roles and that there were no conflicts.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1299 on: September 13, 2010, 07:53:12 PM »
Yes. And no conflicts is boring.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1300 on: September 13, 2010, 08:16:55 PM »
And boring means "I'm leaving the band!"

AMIRITE?

Offline Talon

« Reply #1301 on: September 13, 2010, 11:12:43 PM »
:talon

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1302 on: September 13, 2010, 11:18:43 PM »
if you could travel back in time to 1989, right after WDADU came out, and show MP all the DT albums, then told him you'll quit after the 10th album, do you think he'd think his future self was crazy for leaving such a cool band? (even after explaining why he would leave)

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #1303 on: September 13, 2010, 11:31:43 PM »
I think MP would actually be more surprised about the fact that they would have managed to release ten albums.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1304 on: September 13, 2010, 11:52:11 PM »
Regarding MP's sister's comments:

Enough already. Just enough with the drama. If people have "no idea" what they are talking about when we say let the other guys pick up the reins, then  explain it already or zip it. If it is dirty laundry you'd rather not spill, then you shouldn't be hinting that there is a reason the other guys cannot pick up the slack in the first place.

The bottom line is - Mike wanted a break. Ok, fine, but Dream Theater isn't just Mike Portnoy. It is four other guys who have a say in what goes on. If Mike thought the other guys would roll over and do what he wanted just because "Mike Portnoy" wanted them to, then again I say, he's being really inconsiderate of the other people in his band. Dream Theater may be Mike's passion and love, but it is the livelihood of four other people in addition to Mike. You can't just tell them that you want them to give that up for a few years while you "find yourself."

God, ya know, as much good as Portnoy does for his fans, he sure can sound like an *insert appropriate negative adjective*, and his sister didn't help him any in that department.

God bless ya Mike, but geez man...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #1305 on: September 14, 2010, 02:36:19 AM »
I still thinking that he believes that DT is nothing without him. Hey, if you didn't want to continue, just make your own path alone or with A7X or whatever, but let the others enjoy DT and continue with the band. Do not link disconcerting blogs and do not make the fans feel biased. And then his sister  flowering already: "buaaaaaaaa waaaaaaaaaa....Ya don't know what you are saying! DT without my brotha¿?! you are doomed!"

Oh, cmon...to write a public post just to show how I love my brother and how you, the fans, now nothing...well, your brother and DT music is something more than letters in a paper, thanks to the fans too.

I always hate how the bands/musicians/artist forget from they come from. I know that was not MP's way, cause he was always who cared about fans, but all that about the blog, is disrespectful.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 02:47:15 AM by RazielSR »

Offline nakuldt

« Reply #1306 on: September 14, 2010, 03:05:00 AM »
This break up isnt good for DT and for mike.....means Everybody in the band rules the world and are important... imagine a four tyre vehicle moving with 3 tyres. The car will not be stable and and it will led to an accident. The same situation is with DT guys..... I request Mike to reunite with the band as soon as possible...Nobody can take place of Mike or any other member in DT!!!

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #1307 on: September 14, 2010, 03:09:11 AM »
Let's just say that I don't agree with your post at all. And I think that your request won't find any recipients. MP doesn't want to be with DT and JP declared that the drumming position will be filled soon, as well as the spokesmanship.

Mentlegen.

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #1308 on: September 14, 2010, 03:16:02 AM »
This break up isnt good for DT and for mike.....means Everybody in the band rules the world and are important... imagine a four tyre vehicle moving with 3 tyres. The car will not be stable and and it will led to an accident. The same situation is with DT guys..... I request Mike to reunite with the band as soon as possible...Nobody can take place of Mike or any other member in DT!!!

mmmm.....no. I suppose Mike will return, but NOW he is OUT. So, the band should find a replacement (who of course will never be the same, but maybe that means that is gonna be better for the future). For me the only one that can't be replaced in any way is JP or JL. JP cause it's the God of DT and JL cause it's the voice, and it's really a problem to replace the vocalist.

All this is a shit, we all know (for MP seems it's funny cause he is gonna have now more fffffuuuunnnnn than eveeeeeeeeeeeer). But you can't say DT is over cause MP is now out. That's sick.

I don't like when he said in his twitter that sentence talking about the tatoo and other things with A7X..."this ain't happen with DT! ". Man, what are you doing? Seems like a child with a new toy...

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #1309 on: September 14, 2010, 03:18:36 AM »
I'm actually not too surprised about that Twitter post - for me, it's just part of MP's antics. I won't say that it was a set-up for his departure from DT, though.

Mentlegen.

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #1310 on: September 14, 2010, 03:23:56 AM »
I'm actually not too surprised about that Twitter post - for me, it's just part of MP's antics. I won't say that it was a set-up for his departure from DT, though.

I understand. Maybe you are more used to that things. But as I'm new fan(since 2008). I really don't get the point of that kind of "humour". Anyway, Even if I was and old fan, I'm not sure if I'd understand it...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1311 on: September 14, 2010, 05:09:04 AM »
After days oftakjng this I'm.... I am still torn by this news. No matter what the band puts out from now on, I can't really consider it DT. Same goes for seeing them live. From this point on, it's a band which the majority of the members used to be in a band called Dream Theater. Being a DT fan for me was enjoying each member of the band as well as the music they made as a group.
I don't get that at all.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
« Reply #1312 on: September 14, 2010, 05:11:20 AM »
Maybe MP's sister is just talking about a mob system within the band where MP is the Don and all of the other guys are just cronies... this would account for the fact that there are only five fans of the band despite their "popularity". Anyone with me one this one?  :police:

Offline InTheNameOfGod

• PoS>All
« Reply #1313 on: September 14, 2010, 06:07:50 AM »
I don't know if i'm the first to say it, but Portnoy is sounding like such an egotistical dousche at the minute.

He thinks he's the center of attention all the time. I'm glad he's decided to move on from DT as they will probably do better without him. If he loved 'his' band as much as he has previously said, then he'd still be with DT and playing with his 'family' regardless of it being somewhat of an inconvinience.

I have no doubt in my mind this 'break' is 100 percent down to playing with Avenged Sevenfold and other side projects. He should just man up and admit he isn't feeling DT anymore. I just think he is being selfish, and has made a stand for what he believes is right. When in actual fact, his 'brothers' in DT have their own lives and families to think about.

I bet when he made reference to leaving, he expected the band to bend to his wishes and accept whatever terms he proposed. It's nice to see that the band know they can move on without him. I have no doubt this is the right move for the future of DT - However short a timeframe that might be.

His sister sounds almost identical. Someone should tell her to shut her mouth. We might not know about the bands politics, but the band can, and will go on without the influence of Portnoy. And the thousand things he does, can, and will be picked up by someone else.

I'm more interested in DT's future now, more than ever. So all this doesn't bother me one bit.
Currently listening to:

Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here *****
Kamelot - Poetry For The Poisoned **
Les Discrets - Septembre Et Ses Dernières Pensées ***1/2
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing *****
Symphony X - The Odyssey ****1/2

Sweat, skin, a pulse divine to balance this restless mind.

Offline Sixtease

« Reply #1314 on: September 14, 2010, 07:01:00 AM »
On Thursday, I opened up Google Reader and saw "DREAM THEATER PRESS RELEASE". That very moment, I knew something grim was on. After reading the text, I felt like so many of you, sick, heartbroken, and I needed alcohol. I got to this forum immediately to read news and it took me these five days to finally read through it. Many of you expressed exactly what I was thinking or feeling, so there was no need for me to post. I thank you for being those with whom I could share digesting these news.

Right now, I see everything very optimistically. The best outcome in my eyes is how Jordan Rudess and John Petrucci showed what badass great personalities they are. As much as I notice the lack of diplomacy in Mike's expressions, I don't hold his actions for selfish or condemnable. I think one can find good reason in his explanation and he really sounded sincere in the Eddie Trunk interview. That he speaks of self-sacrifice and links a blogpost that calls him the heart of DT... well, he's like that, this is the way he's always acted and without this side of him, we'd not be getting all the output from him all those years.

If John Petrucci keeps the current trend of communicating with the fans more, and if present DT in general reaches out to us to compensate for Mike's role, I'm a happy happy fan.

I'm just listening to Avenged Sevenfold and well... I'd not guess a Dream Theater member would ever be interested in playing with this band. But it's not as bad as I thought after reading the posts here. :-)

Best of luck to you, Dream Theater, my favorite band, in finding a good drummer!  :metal

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1315 on: September 14, 2010, 07:01:28 AM »
ITNOG, that post was so full of speculative bullshit that I can't even be bothered to respond properly. You killed my brain.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #1316 on: September 14, 2010, 07:53:12 AM »
ITNOG, that post was so full of speculative bullshit that I can't even be bothered to respond properly. You killed my brain.
Don't worry, it's all just some conspiracy anyway.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1317 on: September 14, 2010, 08:22:05 AM »
I don't know if i'm the first to say it, but Portnoy is sounding like such an egotistical dousche at the minute.

He thinks he's the center of attention all the time. I'm glad he's decided to move on from DT as they will probably do better without him. If he loved 'his' band as much as he has previously said, then he'd still be with DT and playing with his 'family' regardless of it being somewhat of an inconvinience.

I have no doubt in my mind this 'break' is 100 percent down to playing with Avenged Sevenfold and other side projects. He should just man up and admit he isn't feeling DT anymore. I just think he is being selfish, and has made a stand for what he believes is right. When in actual fact, his 'brothers' in DT have their own lives and families to think about.

I bet when he made reference to leaving, he expected the band to bend to his wishes and accept whatever terms he proposed. It's nice to see that the band know they can move on without him. I have no doubt this is the right move for the future of DT - However short a timeframe that might be.

His sister sounds almost identical. Someone should tell her to shut her mouth. We might not know about the bands politics, but the band can, and will go on without the influence of Portnoy. And the thousand things he does, can, and will be picked up by someone else.

I'm more interested in DT's future now, more than ever. So all this doesn't bother me one bit.

I've read like 300 opinions similar to this since this shit went down. Yours just happens to be the worst-worded, most pretentious, most hostile, and most disrespectful of the whole bunch! Congrats!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 08:29:22 AM by Perpetual Change »

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1318 on: September 14, 2010, 08:27:32 AM »
What a dousche! :lol

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1319 on: September 14, 2010, 08:50:26 AM »
I found his sister's comments to be exactly what I was thinking.
https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=145992

this is a non issue....issue.

Everyone should just fucking relax.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1320 on: September 14, 2010, 08:55:17 AM »
I begrudgingly respect that his sister did that but a) she said all that a little too late since all it seemed to do was feed the flames and b) she stated the obvious and added nothing in doing so. Portnoy had already said what she said so there kinda wasn't any point.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1321 on: September 14, 2010, 09:41:10 AM »
Yeah, she didn't really add much to the information. And let's face it, she's clearly not going to corroborate any notion that would shed a negative light on Mike.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1322 on: September 14, 2010, 10:14:46 AM »
I don't know if i'm the first to say it, but Portnoy is sounding like such an egotistical dousche at the minute...

What ariich said.  Given that this is such huge news that will naturally generate strong emotional responses, I have been pretty lenient about allowing people to voice their criticisms, no matter how speculative.  But yours demonstrated no tact whatsoever and definitely crossed the line.  And given that you've already received a final warning for similar things, your stay at DTF is now officially over.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1323 on: September 14, 2010, 10:16:11 AM »
Today is a good day.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1324 on: September 14, 2010, 10:17:54 AM »
Today is a good day.

No, I'm not going to unban SeRoX.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1325 on: September 14, 2010, 10:18:20 AM »
 :lol
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1326 on: September 14, 2010, 10:19:37 AM »
 :(

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #1327 on: September 14, 2010, 10:28:35 AM »
Today is a good day.

No, I'm not going to unban SeRoX.

NOW it's a good day. :neverusethis:

Mentlegen.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1328 on: September 14, 2010, 10:57:50 AM »
SeRox was my hero haha
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1329 on: September 14, 2010, 11:09:16 AM »
ITNOG is banned? Oh good we can finally talk about Lost again.
fanticide.bandcamp.com