Author Topic: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater  (Read 512424 times)

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
Re: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater
« Reply #1260 on: September 12, 2010, 08:18:00 PM »
He would be essentially a sell out at that point. To leave a career of creative meaningful music to go play essentially pop metal would be a complete waste. If he really left DT just to go play with a band like that it would be for the glamour the fortune the fame  :metal

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #1261 on: September 12, 2010, 08:26:15 PM »
Well.... people can call it whatever they want.  I'm not going to say that.  I'm just saying.... in this discussion, it HAS to be mentioned.  I know that DT seems to be growing in terms of popularity and hopefully financially..... but..... let's face it..... DT ain't Avenged Sevenfold (as far as business is concerned).  

So, and I'm sorry to repeat this over two different threads, I just have to wonder if Sevefold said to him, "Come be a member for .... 10 gazillion dollars," which would make NO time for DT.... so, he says to the guys, "Hey, I need a break," so he could pursue making 10 gazillion dollars, but they don't want to wait..... and, here we are.  Maybe the "10 gazillion dollars" wouldn't be the only reason, but I just wonder if it's a consideration on his part.  

Thoughts?
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1262 on: September 12, 2010, 08:35:17 PM »
I think Mike's Facebook being "disabled" because of "all the activity" is bullshit. Basically, it's way harder to moderate things on Facebook than on a forum, where there are far less users and far less activity. And we all know Mike will has no problem with shutting down a community if he can't control its attitude.

But I could be wrong.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1263 on: September 12, 2010, 08:41:34 PM »
Oh, we started the conspiracy theories already?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1264 on: September 12, 2010, 08:47:12 PM »
So like the past 3 days have been nothing but a shit-storm of baseless speculation. And I say one thing and you call me out on it? Thanks, emindead. I see you still haven't forgiven me for quoting you on your assertion that 50 Cent was proof that "the market does a good job of promoting the best music" or something.  :P

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1265 on: September 12, 2010, 08:49:09 PM »
PC brings up a good point. The Free Market is to blame for Portnoy leaving.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1266 on: September 12, 2010, 08:49:58 PM »
Oh, we started the conspiracy theories already regarding his Facebook issue when the rest of us just think it's because of the recent events?
FTFY :D

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1267 on: September 12, 2010, 08:51:23 PM »
Why?

Because the user in question puts forth all of his opinions in the rudest possible manner (though I did enjoy that pic).

:lol

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1268 on: September 12, 2010, 08:53:21 PM »
Normally, it's the Jews... but MP is one, hmmm it is a conspiracy theory after all.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1269 on: September 12, 2010, 08:55:54 PM »
@SnakeEyes: I don't find it hard to believe they haven't discussed the thought of Mike joining them permanently.  Replacing their friend who passed unexpectedly is a big step, and this thing with Mike is only supposed to be temporary.  Like others have said, I doubt a bunch of 20/early 30-somethings would ask him to join the band permanently.  I really don't think he'll be a permanent member, and if they do make that offer to him, it will probably take a while.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1270 on: September 12, 2010, 08:58:08 PM »
The guys from DT asked Jordan to enter the band.

So, my prediction is that MP joins the band, fits in pretty well, and then in 10 years shaves his head and stops dying his beard.

Offline SnakeEyes

« Reply #1271 on: September 12, 2010, 08:59:26 PM »
@skydivingninja

Okay, maybe that's true.  Even so, perhaps Portnoy is just assuming that they're going to ask him because, well, he's Mike Portnoy.  And, if that's the case, even if you think you're going to be a member of Avenged Sevenfold, you might start seeing dollar signs.  Not saying this IS the case, just that it COULD be.  
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1272 on: September 12, 2010, 09:09:17 PM »
The guys from DT asked Jordan to enter the band.

So, my prediction is that MP joins the band, fits in pretty well, and then in 10 years shaves his head and stops dying his beard.

:rollin

@skydivingninja

Okay, maybe that's true.  Even so, perhaps Portnoy is just assuming that they're going to ask him because, well, he's Mike Portnoy.  And, if that's the case, even if you think you're going to be a member of Avenged Sevenfold, you might start seeing dollar signs.  Not saying this IS the case, just that it COULD be. 

I'm still baffled as to how anyone could think he's doing this for the money.  That's the LAST thing MP would be doing this for.

Offline SnakeEyes

« Reply #1273 on: September 12, 2010, 09:12:28 PM »
I think I have made it clear that I don't "think" he is.... I wonder whether he is.  I mean, the guy is human.  If Avenged Sevenfold did offer him 10 gazillion dollars, I wouldn't really blame him for doing it.  I'm not criticizing him if he had done it.  But, I think I made the point that it could be a possibility, so I'm going to drop it.  I don't want it to turn into something that it's not. 

Offline Norwood

• Keep it all in perspective.
« Reply #1274 on: September 13, 2010, 11:13:25 AM »
With a few more days to digest this I am still completely flabbergasted.

This band, Avenged Sevenfold, is so...uhm...bad...I can't believe he's doing this.

Seeing how "The Rev" died selfishly in some hotel room - like a useless pill junkie with a stomach full of Percs, Oxycontin, Valium and Xanax - I wouldn't be hanging around with them.  

Spend an hour listening to this band, watching them on youtube and whatever else and then say to yourself that Mike Fucking Portnoy is playing drums with these guys.  From a band dedicated to creation, musical exploration and the pushing of compositional boundaries to a band that can barely distinguish itself from Metallica, Limp Biscuit (or whatever way they spell it), Good Charlotte, and every other bubble-gum/going-through-the-motions "band" of addicts and losers that'll be forgotten in 5 years (with the exception of Metallica...they just keep making albums because they're gajillionaires and can...and their music is utter garbage...and has been since the day Cliff Burton died).

I pray he's being smart in regards to his mental, physical and spiritual health.  I hope he hasn't gotten that taste, any addict knows what I'm talking about, and is making bad decisions.  It has all the signs of it.

It's sad, truly.

[[--Comic Nut's Jar--]]  --  Comics.Politics.Computers  --  [[--The Sneakernet--]]  --  Computers.Toys.Geekdom

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #1275 on: September 13, 2010, 12:23:10 PM »
Maybe I'm just naive and too fanoboyish to comment: but I take everything Portnoy is saying to be true as truth.  While he might have a small reason to lie (being that he'd lose fans), I believe him when he says it was because he wasn't happy with DT, that he isn't a permanent member of A7X and isn't planning to be, and didn't do it for any monetary reasons.  But again, maybe that just me being naive.
www.bedeceived.com

ZOMG WHAT'S AT BEDECEIVED.COM?

I DUNNO!  CLICK THE DARNED LINK TO FIND OUT!

Online Adami

« Reply #1276 on: September 13, 2010, 12:33:34 PM »
With a few more days to digest this I am still completely flabbergasted.

This band, Avenged Sevenfold, is so...uhm...bad...I can't believe he's doing this.

Seeing how "The Rev" died selfishly in some hotel room - like a useless pill junkie with a stomach full of Percs, Oxycontin, Valium and Xanax - I wouldn't be hanging around with them.  

Spend an hour listening to this band, watching them on youtube and whatever else and then say to yourself that Mike Fucking Portnoy is playing drums with these guys.  From a band dedicated to creation, musical exploration and the pushing of compositional boundaries to a band that can barely distinguish itself from Metallica, Limp Biscuit (or whatever way they spell it), Good Charlotte, and every other bubble-gum/going-through-the-motions "band" of addicts and losers that'll be forgotten in 5 years (with the exception of Metallica...they just keep making albums because they're gajillionaires and can...and their music is utter garbage...and has been since the day Cliff Burton died).

I pray he's being smart in regards to his mental, physical and spiritual health.  I hope he hasn't gotten that taste, any addict knows what I'm talking about, and is making bad decisions.  It has all the signs of it.

It's sad, truly.

Jesus dude, how about a little respect and tact?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Norwood

« Reply #1277 on: September 13, 2010, 12:49:29 PM »
Speaking as a former, and recovering useless pill junkie, I can tell you that dying the way he did is a selfish, disgusting act that shows he cared about nothing but himself.

The members of DT struck me as respectful, tactful family-orientated people.

The people in this other band strike me as anything but.

[[--Comic Nut's Jar--]]  --  Comics.Politics.Computers  --  [[--The Sneakernet--]]  --  Computers.Toys.Geekdom

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1278 on: September 13, 2010, 12:52:03 PM »
Portnoy seems to be enjoying that, though.

Offline Norwood

« Reply #1279 on: September 13, 2010, 01:07:18 PM »
I just watched this.

And when I saw huge pillars of fire shooting in the air, the skeletons and big creepy goth gates, I almost cried.

Really, Mike?  Really?

What's next after Avenged Sevenfold?  A Spinal Tap cover band?

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1280 on: September 13, 2010, 01:33:56 PM »
guess you love avenged sevenfold.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1281 on: September 13, 2010, 01:47:26 PM »
Mike is having a great time with A7X, playing music he otherwise wouldn't get to play, and doing things he otherwise wouldn't get to do.

Note how this has absolutely nothing to do with anyone's opinion of A7X.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1282 on: September 13, 2010, 02:07:21 PM »
After days oftakjng this I'm.... I am still torn by this news. No matter what the band puts out from now on, I can't really consider it DT. Same goes for seeing them live. From this point on, it's a band which the majority of the members used to be in a band called Dream Theater. Being a DT fan for me was enjoying each member of the band as well as the music they made as a group.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1283 on: September 13, 2010, 02:37:28 PM »
For the record, ...And Justice For All is a great album.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1284 on: September 13, 2010, 02:41:50 PM »
Maybe I'm just naive and too fanoboyish to comment: but I take everything Portnoy is saying to be true as truth.  While he might have a small reason to lie (being that he'd lose fans), I believe him when he says it was because he wasn't happy with DT, that he isn't a permanent member of A7X and isn't planning to be, and didn't do it for any monetary reasons.  But again, maybe that just me being naive.

I agree with you.  I don't think anyone is lying.  But I will also say that there are surely a LOT of details we don't know.  And I will also say that there are different perspectives.  Again, I don't think anyone is lying about what happened, but the stories will likely be very different depending on who tells it because of different perspectives on the events that led up to all this.

I just watched this.

And when I saw huge pillars of fire shooting in the air, the skeletons and big creepy goth gates, I almost cried.

Why?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #1285 on: September 13, 2010, 03:07:53 PM »
**double**
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 03:36:38 PM by MykeHavoc »

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #1286 on: September 13, 2010, 03:08:40 PM »

Indeed. Who disagrees? Kill'em.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1287 on: September 13, 2010, 03:25:27 PM »

Indeed. Who disagrees? Kill 'em all.
Fix'd

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #1288 on: September 13, 2010, 03:37:04 PM »
Yeah, I thought it was too obvious so I left it open.

Online Adami

« Reply #1289 on: September 13, 2010, 03:52:32 PM »
Yeah, I thought it was too obvious so I left it ride the lightning.

FTFY.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #1290 on: September 13, 2010, 03:57:11 PM »
 :lol fail

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1291 on: September 13, 2010, 04:32:55 PM »
WHAT DOES "FTFY" MEAN!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #1292 on: September 13, 2010, 04:34:59 PM »
WHAT DOES "FTFY" MEAN!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I wonder too.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #1293 on: September 13, 2010, 04:37:18 PM »
fuck that fuckin' yokel

Alright, I made that up.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1294 on: September 13, 2010, 05:35:52 PM »