Author Topic: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater  (Read 512069 times)

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater
« Reply #1225 on: September 12, 2010, 06:07:20 AM »
It's still pretty sad that Mike left, heck it's always sad when a founding/core-member leaves a group you like.
I see a lot of people thinking/hoping that things will work out somehow and MP will rejoin the band within a year or so, and i can understand that, because you always hope for things to stay the same when it comes to the things you like.
However, looking at it from a neutral point of view, i'd say the chances for that happening are pretty low.
Sure it might happen, along with snowballs in hell or flying pigs.

Overall i think it could be a good thing though.
When i look back at the newest DT-releases, counting back to Train of Thought which is the last release i think was really solid, i don't find myself caring as much for the newest 3.
They all have qualities, but overall a slightly disappointment IMO.
A change will most likely affect the direction they'll be taking, the sound, the lyrics... well everything, and i'm way more interested in getting something new, then getting BC&SL 2 in 2011.

Just my 5 cents.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1226 on: September 12, 2010, 06:42:39 AM »
I do see what she's saying, though this one bit kind of annoyed me.

(And for those of you thinking he should just let others take the reins in DT, all I'll say is that you have no idea what you are talking about.) 
But... that's what's actually happening. I don't know why she's kind of snidely going "pff, let's see THAT happen," when that's exactly what they're doing, now.

You know what? I see it differently : my guess is that she implies, in defense of her brother, that he does NOT have the reins all for himself, but that the others have them also. Now, I may be wrong of course.
BTW, I find it also a little harsh implying that Poor Little Mike ONLY is the victim. After all, what she has to keep in mind is that it's MP who left. And TBH, MP does not appear to me as having the status of victim.
Hmm, you know what, I'm actually with you on that one. MP did a hell of a lot of work with DT but he certainly wasn't controlling the band. The way she worded it was almost saying "You people are being so ridiculous I'm not even going to dignify it with a full response".

Yep, it's exactly my point.
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline MajorMatt

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1227 on: September 12, 2010, 06:49:08 AM »
Did anyone catch this?

<message edited by Portnoy on Saturday, September 11, 2010 7:36 PM>

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1228 on: September 12, 2010, 06:52:06 AM »
Did anyone catch this?

?
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1229 on: September 12, 2010, 06:56:13 AM »
Did anyone catch this?

Hmmm...

He may have actually cleaned it up a little.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1230 on: September 12, 2010, 08:11:46 AM »
I just heard about this, on a Linkin Park forum oddly enough.

WHAT!?!?!??!?!?!?
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1231 on: September 12, 2010, 08:15:57 AM »

*schnip*

yeah...

*Comforts Super Dude*

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #1232 on: September 12, 2010, 08:16:16 AM »
This is a pretty huge news in Rock/Metal society anyway.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1233 on: September 12, 2010, 08:20:15 AM »
If one thing can be said about all this, at least it's evident that despite all the hate MP got while he was the face of DT, we as fans really do need him to be there.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1234 on: September 12, 2010, 08:26:23 AM »

*schnip*

yeah...

*Comforts Super Dude*

Also, Happy Rosh HaShanah

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1235 on: September 12, 2010, 08:31:06 AM »
If one thing can be said about all this, at least it's evident that despite all the hate MP got while he was the face of DT, we as fans really do need him to be there.

Huh? What's evident? Every other post I read here is some in-depth analysis of how imperfect Mike's been about this whole situation, and how DT's likely going to be better off now.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1236 on: September 12, 2010, 08:53:29 AM »
I'll give Portnoy's sister credit for sticking up for him, as that's what sisters are supposed to do, but this comment:

"And for those of you thinking he should just let others take the reins in DT, all I'll say is that you have no idea what you are talking about."

To quote Jesus from The Big Lebowski:

Laughable, man.  Ha! :lol :lol

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1237 on: September 12, 2010, 09:00:02 AM »
I'll give Portnoy's sister credit for sticking up for him, as that's what sisters are supposed to do, but this comment:

"And for those of you thinking he should just let others take the reins in DT, all I'll say is that you have no idea what you are talking about."

To quote Jesus from The Big Lebowski:

Laughable, man.  Ha! :lol :lol

I see it in another light, just read my post above.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1238 on: September 12, 2010, 09:17:16 AM »
I think she was referencing to the other responsibilities besides the studio work. MP was actually in charge of editing DVDs, the bootlegs, Progressive Nation, most of the interviews to magazines, radio, and interweb, TV appearances (I can only think of That Metal Show lol), running his own forum as the official DT forum -casually answering fans questions and giving us exclusives-, recording stuff with his camera and feeding us [the fans] with incredible things (The SC SE DVD was really cool), keeping in touch with other bands for collaborations...

I mean, MP did do A LOT! One can understand where her sister was going to. Can the others DT members take care of MP responsibilities with equal success? that's really hard to say. It may have sounded extremely arrogant, like the 500% comment MP said in the [Eddie Trunk] interview, but somehow it is the truth. We, as fans, hope that the rest of DT can fill his shoes while he's absent.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1239 on: September 12, 2010, 09:53:21 AM »
I think she was referencing to the other responsibilities besides the studio work. MP was actually in charge of editing DVDs, the bootlegs, Progressive Nation, most of the interviews to magazines, radio, and interweb, TV appearances (I can only think of That Metal Show lol), running his own forum as the official DT forum -casually answering fans questions and giving us exclusives-, recording stuff with his camera and feeding us [the fans] with incredible things (The SC SE DVD was really cool), keeping in touch with other bands for collaborations...

I mean, MP did do A LOT! One can understand where her sister was going to. Can the others DT members take care of MP responsibilities with equal success? that's really hard to say. It may have sounded extremely arrogant, like the 500% comment MP said in the [Eddie Trunk] interview, but somehow it is the truth. We, as fans, hope that the rest of DT can fill his shoes while he's absent.

TBH, up to the point he's handled things, I don't think the other members will do as much.  Frankly, we've been like spoilt children with all the stuff MP gave us. BUT nothing obliged him to do so in the first place. The "never enough" problem can be applied to him also there.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1240 on: September 12, 2010, 10:09:00 AM »

I think it would be great if we break it up.

Editing DVDs. - They can get a professional DVD Editor that can make a better job than MP, in terms of DVD editing.
Bootlegs. - Yes, this may be one of the sectors that might get hurt the most, but JP already stated that Ytse Jam bootlegs were going to remain unaffected, so that's a good thing!
Progressive Nation. - A small package tour. There have been 2 of these already, and I think it's time for DT to tour on their own once again, or with an opening band to say at least. This isn't much of a problem, getting smaller bands willing to tour with Dream Theater isn't very hard.
Interviews. - The JR, JP and JLB interviews are very pleasant to read and, more interesting than MP's IMO. They can handle this, it just requires effort from their side to even things a bit.
Forum. - Yes, this is another problem. Lots of people use the MP forum as a reference for most DT-related information. They might re-launch the dt.net forum or give more attention to the JP forum, considering he's posting more as of now. One of the things that made the MP forum so popular was that MP himself posted and interacted with the fans. JP did that as well a couple of days ago, and it was a huge success.
Video/Audio exclusives, etc. - Nothing that can't be handled by JP, JR, JLB and JM. It just requires interest and effort by their side. They are pretty much aware of how spoiled we DT fans are, so it wouldn't be very effective to scale down all of these things. If they keep it up, or even bring it up a little notch, DT fans won't lose interest in the band and good things will be bound to happen.

I can go on, but I think you get my point  :D
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1241 on: September 12, 2010, 10:10:22 AM »
I love how different the comments on his sister's post are here than on MP's forum.  :laugh:

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1242 on: September 12, 2010, 11:31:48 AM »
I love how different the comments on his sister's post are here than on MP's forum.  :laugh:

There are a lot of fanboys there....Wait, I subscribed to the forum a few years ago as well.... :P

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1243 on: September 12, 2010, 12:09:53 PM »
Not understanding what you're saying.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1244 on: September 12, 2010, 12:13:20 PM »
Not understanding what you're saying.

He's saying that it's evident that even though we all criticized portnoy while he was in the band, now that he is out of the band, we all agree that the band shouldn't go on without him.

Which isn't true.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1245 on: September 12, 2010, 12:14:30 PM »
I was afraid that might be what he meant.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #1246 on: September 12, 2010, 12:27:06 PM »
I am just sickened that I'm going through a transition in my life during this time in DT.  I haven't been here to comment or even see what's going on until days after the fact.  I am hooking up my computer at some point today.  Soon I will be back in full force to fully contribute. 

All I can say right now is that if MP wants to leave, that is his choice, and I'm very happy that this happened with no bad blood between the members of DT and him.  I also hope that with MP not being there that we will see even more going on with the band.  I can't wait to hear the new album and hear what DT has to offer.  JP's comments are so encouraging to read and I'm happy.  I'm also happy that MP feels that, although it is hard, he can choose what he wants to do in his life.

I just hope that LTE3 happens ;)
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1247 on: September 12, 2010, 12:31:42 PM »
I do too, Splent.  That would be awesome.  And frankly, if the DT split was really amicable like everyone has said, then LTE could happen again, if Levin is up for it.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1248 on: September 12, 2010, 02:06:57 PM »
You know Mike.  He does not do anything half-assed.  He wants every drop of music that Dream Theater releases to be perfect and fulfilling for everyone.  Right now, he is guaranteeing that he can't do that. 

As much as I get where she's coming from, I think it's a little unrealistic to have the expectation of being 100% on and perfect with your job, whatever it may be. I know most of us here are M-F 8-5 working joes, but I'd guarantee there are days/weeks/months where we feel we don't feel 100% up to doing our jobs, but we still suit up and go in every morning. I know artists haev a little bit more flexibility, but what seems to be gnawing at me the most is that he won't still suit up for the good of the band; that it has to be him giving 110% or taking an extended/undetermined 'break.'
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline j

« Reply #1249 on: September 12, 2010, 02:21:55 PM »
^Interesting perspective.  But do we suit up and go to work purely out of loyalty to our co-workers (or bandmates, in this scenario), or because we need to keep our jobs to support our families?  I know you said that artists have more flexibility, and I think that explains it.  Portnoy's not afraid of not being able to find work, which eliminates a major reason most people get up and go to work even when they'd rather not.

-J

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1250 on: September 12, 2010, 02:26:52 PM »
You know Mike.  He does not do anything half-assed.  He wants every drop of music that Dream Theater releases to be perfect and fulfilling for everyone.  Right now, he is guaranteeing that he can't do that. 

As much as I get where she's coming from, I think it's a little unrealistic to have the expectation of being 100% on and perfect with your job, whatever it may be. I know most of us here are M-F 8-5 working joes, but I'd guarantee there are days/weeks/months where we feel we don't feel 100% up to doing our jobs, but we still suit up and go in every morning. I know artists haev a little bit more flexibility, but what seems to be gnawing at me the most is that he won't still suit up for the good of the band; that it has to be him giving 110% or taking an extended/undetermined 'break.'

Except what HE thought was good for the BAND (not just him or only him) was to take an extended hiatus/break. He said this MANY times during the Eddie Trunk interview, and from his voice, it sounded like he truly felt the best thing for the band was to take a break for a year or two. Unfortunately, for the rest of the band, they felt it was good for them to continue, and largely I agree. They're riding high on a great momentum that SC and BC&SL have given them through signing with RoadRunner, and to wait a couple years and lose that momentum would be a bit foolish, IMO. I think Mike leaving, in the end, was for the good of the BAND. Maybe not so much for him or the fans, but for the band itself, I'm sure time will tell that this decision was the best thing at the time.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1251 on: September 12, 2010, 02:30:09 PM »
^ Right, I agree. All I meant was that it is hard to me to relate/sympathize with him in this case, as I have to go to work every morning, and can't ask others for an extended break because I cannot give 100% like I am used to.

I do appreciate Mike giving 100% all these years. my CD/DVD shelf and wallet can attest to that. I just wish he would accept that giving less than 100% of himself for a time would still be ok for the greater good of the band.

edit: I agree with you Marc. Good post. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1252 on: September 12, 2010, 02:52:53 PM »
I think the work ETHIC is only a part of his reason for leaving DT. Sure his mind and body needs a break from all the physical things, beyond playing the drums themselves, such as interviews, set lists, meet and greets, etc. etc., but I think he also felt the band needed a break because he himself was feeling they were in a cycle that was becoming stale. Whether or not he gave 100% or more probably would not have changed how his feelings on direction of the band was going. From his words, it seems to me that he felt they weren't as fresh as he'd like them to be.

That would be like going in to work and telling your co-workers and bosses and such that you felt THEIR work was becoming stale, and possibly suffering because of it. Would you want THEM to take a break so you could all come back refreshed? Or do you think they would still want to continue, after having some success in the last few years? As a regular, average Joe Plumber, I'm sure many of us would bite the bit and continue working, because it pays our bills, but Mike is SUCH a passionate person, and believes so strongly in his work that he was willing to leave the band over it. He felt that if he went in the studio in January, he'd be "going through the motions" for something that he wouldn't have his heart in. That seems to me he's lost faith in the band a bit, not just because he's grown weary and tired of the machine of writing/recording/touring.

So whether or not he took on less duties in the band probably would not have mattered - the heart of it was is the music, and what he felt was that he wouldn't feel right about "going through the motions" in the studio in January. He never said anything about lyrics (which he admits he probably wouldn't have written any for DT11 anyway), or set lists, or internet forums, or fans, or interviews, or any of those things... it was about the music. The work itself. You may go to work tired every day, but in the end, are you relatively happy with what your output was? Does it please you at all? If you say yes, then you can definitely go to work every day as you do, and be at peace of mind for a bit. If the answer was no, then you have a reason to quit. If you feel the work you do isn't good, or that you wouldn't feel it at all, or it's become almost an involuntary reaction and something you don't do with passion (because music should be passionate), then there's something wrong, and you need a change in setting, environment, and Mike has seen that playing with HAIL, Avenged Sevenfold and Transatlantic all in one year. Different settings and environments opened his eyes to different working relationships and when compared to the one he's known and built for 25 years, he probably felt a change was needed in his own home base of DT, thus the proposition to go on break for awhile.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline wasp2020

« Reply #1253 on: September 12, 2010, 03:00:28 PM »
Him leaving gives both Mike a break, and the shakeup that DT needs, both of which he wanted
So I think it all went alright

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1254 on: September 12, 2010, 03:08:12 PM »
Him leaving gives both Mike a break, and the shakeup that DT needs, both of which he wanted

Ironically, and consequently, yes his leaving the band did indeed result in what he felt the band needed (a change - "TIME...FOR...CHANGE...")... and a break for himself to recharge and recover.

-Marc.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1255 on: September 12, 2010, 06:35:53 PM »

Ironically, and consequently, yes his leaving the band did indeed result in what he felt the band needed (a change - "TIME...FOR...CHANGE...")... and a break for himself to recharge and recover.

-Marc.

Yes & yes.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #1256 on: September 12, 2010, 07:48:31 PM »
MP's sister speaking out deserves a giant cup of

Everyone is entitled to their feelings and interperitations as obviously she is as well but did she think she'd suddenly silence everyone? Her annoying statememnt basically says

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHmvkRoEowc

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1257 on: September 12, 2010, 07:52:55 PM »
I'm genuinely surprised you haven't been banned yet.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1258 on: September 12, 2010, 07:54:34 PM »
Why?

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #1259 on: September 12, 2010, 08:03:06 PM »
One thing that hasn't been discussed - at least I haven't seen it on this forum - is .... how much $$$$$$$$ is Portnoy making to play with Avenged Sevenfold and how much $$$$$$$$ have they offered him if he were to become an official member.  I don't believe for one second that Portnoy and those guys haven't discussed the possibility of him actually joining the band.   
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?