Author Topic: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels  (Read 508759 times)

Offline Lowdz

Re: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels
« Reply #1190 on: May 28, 2011, 04:22:13 AM »
surprised to see Test for Echo so low on some lists. I like that album. What is it that makes it worse than most of the other albums?

It would be low for me too, with VT and S&A. Rush post Counterparts hasn't done it for me. The vocal melodies are the problem- I know the songs were written music first, vocal melodies last, but with these albums it sounds like it. The songs are all same-y. The instrumentation lacks variety in sounds and they are missing the keyboards. Just my opinion of course.

Offline D_Halco

« Reply #1191 on: May 28, 2011, 04:55:47 AM »
You really think there is any song off Vapor Trails that sounds like any other song off the same album? I  I will admit that Sweet Miracle has the same kind of feel that Half The World (Off Test For Echo) does, but that's really about it. Every song off Vapor Trails has a distinct flow apart from one another, and I find the instrumental coloring and orchestration to be immensely varied and interesting, while still keeping within a rock aesthetic.

Test For Echo maybe...Totem and Dog Years sound vaguely same-ish, but that's about it.

Snakes and Arrows maybe...haven't listened to it in a long time, I remember the second half (after Main Monkey Business) kind of blending into one mediocre tune after another, with the exception of Malignant Narcississm and maybe Hope.

Offline TL

« Reply #1192 on: May 28, 2011, 02:56:42 PM »
I like Virtuality, very catchy. Never got all the hate.  :metal
The music in Virtuality is fantastic, but the lyrics are terrible.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #1193 on: May 28, 2011, 03:06:20 PM »
I guess I must be the only one who really digs the title track on TFE. Definitely my favourite song on the album.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1194 on: May 28, 2011, 03:21:11 PM »
The title track, Driven, and Resist are the only good things about T4E. 

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1195 on: May 28, 2011, 03:44:15 PM »

I suppose the band share your sentiment as those have been the only TFE songs they have played in the last decade.

I would like to see them bring out an odd track or two from TFE on the next tour, as well as a couple unplayed tracks from VT. Those two albums got under-represented on their tours, particularly VT, so it'd be nice if they revisited those albums with deeper cuts.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1196 on: May 28, 2011, 04:04:51 PM »
Resist acoustic is the best thing they've done, and how it should've been on the album.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1197 on: May 28, 2011, 04:41:00 PM »
Totem is a song I'd like to see them do live and I like Carve Away The Stone as well.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1198 on: May 28, 2011, 07:54:44 PM »
I would like to see them bring out an odd track or two from TFE on the next tour, as well as a couple unplayed tracks from VT. Those two albums got under-represented on their tours, particularly VT, so it'd be nice if they revisited those albums with deeper cuts.

???  Test for Echo wasn't underrepresented on its tour.  Seven songs got played from it, six of them regularly ("Time and Motion" was dropped very early on, thank God!).  So, when you consider that six of the 11 songs were regularly played, that is the same percentage as Counterparts, and more than either Presto or Roll the Bones saw, on their respective tours.

I agree that VT was a bit underrepresented (only five of 13 played, with only four played per show - "Ghost Rider" and "Ceiling Unlimited" were rotated), but they have said that some of the songs were too meaty and buried in overdubs to pull off well live, and I am guessing they recognize how flawed some of the other songs are.  I mean, does anyone ever want to hear "The Stars Look Down" live? ;) :lol

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1199 on: May 28, 2011, 07:59:05 PM »
Not really relevant to the discussion at hand, but I've always liked and appreciated Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves.

I also have Hemispheres and A Farewell to Kings in my possession but haven't listened to them yet.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1200 on: May 28, 2011, 08:20:21 PM »
Listen now.  And then get Power Windows and Signals.  And Counterparts.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1201 on: May 28, 2011, 08:21:11 PM »

???  Test for Echo wasn't underrepresented on its tour.  Seven songs got played from it, six of them regularly ("Time and Motion" was dropped very early on, thank God!).  So, when you consider that six of the 11 songs were regularly played, that is the same percentage as Counterparts, and more than either Presto or Roll the Bones saw, on their respective tours.

I agree that VT was a bit underrepresented (only five of 13 played, with only four played per show - "Ghost Rider" and "Ceiling Unlimited" were rotated), but they have said that some of the songs were too meaty and buried in overdubs to pull off well live, and I am guessing they recognize how flawed some of the other songs are.  I mean, does anyone ever want to hear "The Stars Look Down" live? ;) :lol

Ah, I keep forgetting that it was 6 and not 5 that were played from TFE on it's tour. And I actually like "Time And Motion" but there were some songs on there that could've been played like "Carve Away The Stone" would have sounded great live.

As for VT, I think songs like "Sweet Miracle" and "Vapor Trail" would've been GREAT live, as would "How It Is" and "Freeze", but I can see how, with all the overdubs on the album, it would be hard to perform them live. However, they have proven they will perform songs with overdubs triggered, by either of the three, just to make them sound like they are on the album but still "play" them in a live setting, i.e. hitting a pedal or a pad or a key to produce said overdub. I think some VT songs on the next tour would be amazing.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1202 on: May 28, 2011, 08:28:51 PM »

I would kill to hear Vapor Trails played live and I agree with Marc about Sweet Miracle and Freeze.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1203 on: May 28, 2011, 09:36:34 PM »
I definitely think "Vapor Trail" would be awesome live, and it doesn't strike me as being a song that would be difficult to pull off.  "Freeze" is another story.  That song is very intense and has a lot of depth to it, and I fear that a live rendition of it would result in it losing a lot of its power.  I wouldn't be surprised if they tried it out in rehearsals back then and came to that realization.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1204 on: May 28, 2011, 11:04:50 PM »
Everyone would gather on the 24th of May
Sitting on the sand to watch the fireworks display

;D Love that song, can we hear it live ever again. What about Before and After has that ever been played live?

No documented evidence has surfaced yet to suggest that Before And After has been played, but that doesn't mean that was never played. (one of my favorites on that album too and the first evidence of their progressive leanings). If I'm not mistaken, the A Farewell To Kings Tour featured the final appearence of Lakeside Park in the set.

Posted by: kingshmegland  

Check out this band, David Barrett Trio that was produced by Alex Lifeson and recorded in his studio!!  It's unreal!!

I've been waiting for this to be released myself. I eat this stuff up!

I'd be among those who'd pay for all of Test For Echo, Vapor Trails and Snakes and Arrows to be played live in their entirety.

I don't consider Test For Echo to be as lyrically weak as some suggest. Obviously Neil dates himself by trying to tackle a technological advancement that was about to explode big time in Virtuality and Test For Echo isn't all that hot either lyrically either (I suppose I'd lump Carve Away The Stone in there too), but I'd argue the rest of it is on par or better than the Peart Standard. I also think that Limo is the weakest instrumental they've ever done. I remember thinking that Rush could have been listening to Dream Theater when they wrote it. It just sounded very Dream Theateresque to me at the time.

I do recall that there were some fans on alt.music.rush that were loud and repeatedly vocal in criticizing it, but I was not one of those people.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1205 on: May 29, 2011, 07:44:41 AM »

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1206 on: May 29, 2011, 09:43:35 AM »
Looks like we have a hard date for the new live DVD.

https://www.rushisaband.com/blog/2011/05/27/2664/Rush-live-DVD-to-release-September-27th-on-Concord-Records

Looks like September 2011 will go down in history as an epic release month!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1207 on: May 31, 2011, 05:37:27 AM »
To me, Peaceable Kingdom is the best song on VT, and the one I'd most want to hear live.

T4E isn't a bad album, but after the brilliance of Counterparts, it was something of a disappointment. There's very little on T4E to get excited about. Half the World, Color of Right and Virtuality are Ok enough, but slightly naff. Even the instumental falls short.

Can't wait for the DVD. All I've wanted to do all weekend is go see Rush again...
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1208 on: June 03, 2011, 08:43:08 PM »
Great interview by Neil on CBC.  Song by song breakdown of Moving Pictures.

https://www.cbc.ca/strombo/show-music/neil-peart-on-moving-pictures-track-by-track.html

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1209 on: June 03, 2011, 09:49:14 PM »
Wow, very insightful!  Also the most I've ever heard Neil speak.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #1210 on: June 04, 2011, 12:18:00 AM »
Great interview. Damn, all members of Rush have such great personalities.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1211 on: June 05, 2011, 12:33:07 AM »
Like listening to Neil talk?

Here's another Moving Pictures Retropective interview with Jim Ladd:

https://955klos.com/Article.asp?id=2159690&spid=24575

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1212 on: June 09, 2011, 08:41:54 AM »
As usual, Rush was freaking awesome last night.  A few screwups though, which made me feel like I was watching something special.  :lol

-Messup in "Closer to the Heart."  Neil started playing the wrong part into the solo section.  The look on Geddy's face was priceless.  He looked like Beaker from the Muppets. :lol
-Cameras would just stop working, so there'd be long periods with a dead screen. 
-Geddy's keys during "Marathon" barely existed.  Thankfully this problem was fixed for "Subdivisions." 
-This didn't happen at the last show I saw (or at least I don't remember it if it happened), but they played the "Cygnus" riff at the very end of the last song!  Not a screwup, but it was really cool.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1213 on: June 09, 2011, 09:18:30 AM »
Love the little moments that always lingers in the mind when thinking about a show.

Also.  we need Durg or Zydar to photoshop Geddy as Beeker! :lol

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1214 on: June 09, 2011, 09:33:20 AM »
Love the little moments that always lingers in the mind when thinking about a show.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1215 on: June 09, 2011, 09:35:59 AM »
 :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #1216 on: June 09, 2011, 09:44:46 AM »

-Geddy's keys during "Marathon" barely existed.  Thankfully this problem was fixed for "Subdivisions." 

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1217 on: June 09, 2011, 09:52:11 AM »

YES!!   Also Dr. Honeydew=Neil Peart! :lol

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1218 on: June 09, 2011, 10:16:35 AM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1219 on: June 09, 2011, 10:28:58 AM »
SO GOOD!! :lol

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1220 on: June 09, 2011, 10:29:41 AM »
SO

MUCH

WIN

And make alex that chick with the guitar. Can't think of her name

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1221 on: June 09, 2011, 10:45:44 AM »

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1222 on: June 09, 2011, 10:58:27 AM »
AHAHAHAHAHA

Please send this to the band TV. PLEASE

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1223 on: June 09, 2011, 11:58:18 AM »
And make alex that chick with the guitar. Can't think of her name

Janis.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1