Author Topic: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels  (Read 508689 times)

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels
« Reply #1120 on: May 06, 2011, 04:25:28 PM »
Sounds awesome :hefdaddy
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline jsem

« Reply #1121 on: May 06, 2011, 04:26:08 PM »
Sounds awesome :hefdaddy
You shoulda been there.  :-[

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1122 on: May 06, 2011, 04:29:01 PM »
I should have :-\

Offline jsem

« Reply #1123 on: May 06, 2011, 04:31:43 PM »
Take the train to Malmö now and see them in 2 days. It'll be well worth it lol.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1124 on: May 06, 2011, 07:49:08 PM »
And then there's me who adores Vapor Trails (sound issues aside) and Snakes and Arrows just about equally....

Offline MasterLomaxus

• Onion Flakes
« Reply #1125 on: May 06, 2011, 09:29:09 PM »
And then there's me who adores Vapor Trails (sound issues aside) and Snakes and Arrows just about equally....

I'm pretty much in the same boat.  Of course, I may just like them due to the nostalgic effect they have on me.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1127 on: May 13, 2011, 02:26:15 PM »
I just listened to the awesomeness that is Test for Echo last night. There's still some great songs from that album that never got played live.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1128 on: May 13, 2011, 02:38:38 PM »
Of the four TFE songs that have never been played, "Totem" is the one I am surprised about.  They were pretty high on it in pre-release interviews at the time, and I was shocked when it didn't make the set list on the TFE tour.  And the album has all but been ignored since they got back together (except for "Driven" on the VT tour and the acoustic "Resist" on two tours), so the odds of it ever getting played are probably pretty slim.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1129 on: May 13, 2011, 03:02:47 PM »
Totem and Carve Away The Stone for me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1130 on: May 13, 2011, 03:40:44 PM »
Of the four TFE songs that have never been played, "Totem" is the one I am surprised about.  They were pretty high on it in pre-release interviews at the time, and I was shocked when it didn't make the set list on the TFE tour.  And the album has all but been ignored since they got back together (except for "Driven" on the VT tour and the acoustic "Resist" on two tours), so the odds of it ever getting played are probably pretty slim.

Do you remember which pre-release interviews that may have mentioned that.  I don't remember many references to to "Totem" (Actually, now I'm sort of recalling they may have mentioned "Totem" in Dan Neer's Up Close Interview) and I'd like to revisit a few interviews to recall the feel that they had for Test For Echo when it was brand new.

But you're right. I wouldn't go holding my breath to hear something from that album although stranger things have happened over the last several tours.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1131 on: May 13, 2011, 03:44:34 PM »
I remember hearing that on the world premiere on the radio back in the day when I would stay up all night just to record it on cassette.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1132 on: May 13, 2011, 03:46:23 PM »
There used to be a show called Rockline on radio stations, and KSHE-95 here in St. Louis always played it.  Rush usually did Rockline before each album release, and it was usually a two-hour thing where each new song would be played, with interviews with the band before and after each song.  For TFE, I remember all three guys interviewed individually instead of all of them the whole time.  Geddy did the first 1/3, Alex the middle 1/3 and Neil the last 1/3.  I remember taping both the CP and TFE Rockline shows on cassette back then so I could listen to the songs before the CD was released. :lol  Funny thing, too, is the songs were never played in order during the Rockline show, so I'd be used to them in a specific order, and then have to get used to the "normal" running order once I got the real CD, so that was kind of cool. :coolio

Edit: looks like kingshmegland did the same thing! :tup :tup

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1133 on: May 13, 2011, 03:48:51 PM »
Isn't Rockline still on?  I loved Monday nights but as I got older and had to work for a living it was harder to stay up.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1134 on: May 13, 2011, 03:50:00 PM »
I am pretty sure it is still around, but I think KSHE here stopped playing it years ago.

And looking it up on wikipedia just now, looks like Rush is the artist who has appeared on Rockline the most (one appearance behind Ozzy Osbourne).

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1135 on: May 13, 2011, 03:57:52 PM »
Oh...Rockline...
No working tape players around at the moment.

I taped all of the Rocklines going back to 1985 (which I only got part of) through to about 2005 or so.

I never liked too many of the questions that were allowed through on Rockline. Although there were some great moments, I never learned much from those shows.

It was nice to hear voices back then in the pre-Internet age. I was on hold for most of one of those shows in the 1990s but I never got through.

Yet one more example that I REALLY need to upgrade my tape collection...

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1136 on: May 13, 2011, 04:24:49 PM »
Rockline was great!  Wasn't the host named Red Beard?  That's what it sounded like, or maybe I'm thinking of another show.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1137 on: May 13, 2011, 08:01:34 PM »
Isn't Rockline still on? 
Yeah, it's still on. I catch it, very rarely, when I'm driving home from work late on Mondays.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1138 on: May 13, 2011, 08:02:38 PM »
Jamming to Signals right now. :hat
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #1139 on: May 13, 2011, 09:27:17 PM »
2nd favorite album.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #1140 on: May 14, 2011, 09:20:21 AM »
1st favorite album.  Perm W. and Grace aren't too far behind, and Moving Pictures would be in my top 3, had side 2 had more Limelight-like singles instead of The Camera Eye.  Must say, those 4 albums are one of the best creative winning streaks out there.   

Can't say I'm as big on the 70s stuff as many are; I love the Caress of Steel and A Farewell to K., but the rest, I merely enjoy.  (Still, there is a lot to be enjoyed on 2112 and H.)

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1141 on: May 14, 2011, 09:49:43 AM »
I just listened to the awesomeness that is Test for Echo last night. There's still some great songs from that album that never got played live.

Still can't get into this album. Nothing stands out and the lyrics didn't do anything for me for once. And it's been downhill from there. not a patch on Counterparts or even Presto. Each to their own of course.

Offline TL

« Reply #1142 on: May 14, 2011, 03:51:06 PM »
I like Test For Echo musically, but some of the lyrics are just so bad. Rarely can lyrics ruin for me a song I like musically, but there are a few tracks on TFE that come close (Virtuality comes to mind).

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #1143 on: May 14, 2011, 03:53:01 PM »
I like the music on Virtuality more than the other tracks but the lyrics are dreadful.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1144 on: May 14, 2011, 11:39:58 PM »
The lyrics in "Dog Years" is where it's at. :biggrin:

Offline WildeSilas

« Reply #1145 on: May 15, 2011, 12:44:27 AM »
I'm kinda new around here, but seeing so much love for Test For Echo makes me think I'll fit in just fine.  ;D

The thing about TFE is that it's after Neil took drum lessons from Freddie Gruber. As a drummer, I was in awe of the changes it made in his playing - you rarely get to hear someone that accomplished add new things and modify their playing to improve themselves. I like Counterparts better, but I see them as a one-two punch and they really helped me not only get into Rush, but prog music in general (beyond DT - which I just thought was a metal band until I started hearing about their prog influences - Rush being primary). I went from Rush to Yes, and outward from there. But Counterparts and TFE were Rush's heaviest albums at the time (pre-Vapor Trails) and it just hit me at the right time.
No light at the end of the tunnel due to budget contraints

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1146 on: May 16, 2011, 07:46:08 AM »
I always think Lakeside Park is gonna turn into A Passage to Bangkok. They kind of sound similar
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1147 on: May 17, 2011, 01:41:43 PM »
You know, I wasn't planning on buying a ticket to the Greenville show in June.  But you know what?  I listened to the beginning of the first time Machine set (I skipped a few songs I listened to this morning) and when I got to Marathon I convinced myself I needed to see the setlist again.  If my car breaks down to a venue fifteen minutes away then heaven must be conspiring against me.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #1148 on: May 17, 2011, 02:33:26 PM »
It's worth it just for Marathon. That's why I went again

Offline Jakartabassplayer

• John Cleese's evil step brother
  • "THEY just drop"
« Reply #1149 on: May 17, 2011, 02:44:54 PM »
Seeing them next week!
TOO EXCITED FOR WORDS!
Kipfilet is het borstdeel van de kip. Kenmerk van kipfilet is dat deze vetarm en lichtverteerbaar is.
I assume it's because you're awesome.
And JBP is yet again drunk  :lol

Offline mizzl

• DTF.org Member
  • I have officialy been ravenhearted. Thanks Zydar!
« Reply #1150 on: May 17, 2011, 03:51:36 PM »
Seeing them next week!
TOO EXCITED FOR WORDS!
Yea i know, I'm dreaming aboot it too my friend

Offline TL

« Reply #1151 on: May 18, 2011, 11:29:50 AM »
I like Counterparts better, but I see them as a one-two punch

This is true for me as well. I actually discovered TFE before CP, and basically thought 'I really like this, but if only there were an album with a similar feel, except with better lyrics'. Then I discovered CP, which is now one of my favorite Rush albums.

Online The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1152 on: May 20, 2011, 06:55:54 AM »
Five days to go till the O2 show! Whoo! Can't wait!  :metal :metal :metal
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1153 on: May 20, 2011, 07:25:35 AM »
I'm glad to see that they could fill that stadium out or at least play in there.  I can't believe how popular they've become this late into their career.

Offline TL

« Reply #1154 on: May 20, 2011, 04:38:16 PM »
Was at a few record stores around town today (as in, actual vinyl records). I think it's a rule or something that they all have to have Signals, A Show Of Hands, and Hold Your Fire. Only one of the stores had anything by Rush that wasn't one of those (Caress of Steel, Grace Under Pressure (which I bought), and Power Windows).

I suppose few people are going to sell their copies of 2112 and Hemispheres, and if anyone does, they probably go pretty quickly.