Author Topic: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels  (Read 508046 times)

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
Re: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels
« Reply #1085 on: May 05, 2011, 12:16:56 PM »
Snakes And Arrows, epic??? That album is probably the weakest album Rush has ever made. Besides a couple of good songs its mostly mid tempo filler.
I love Vapor Trails! Its light years better then Snakes And Arrows, imo.

No, VT is easily the weakest Rush album.

That being said, I'm perfectly OK with a band releasing ONE bad album considering the fact that they have like 17.

Also, they were going through a ton of shit around that time, hadn't played together in like five years, etc. Perfectly understandable why VT came out the way it did.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1086 on: May 05, 2011, 12:19:46 PM »
Vapor trails is one of my favorites, so many great songs. We're still waiting for the remastered version so that we can enjoy the songs even more, though.  :)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1087 on: May 05, 2011, 12:20:10 PM »
The sub-par song-writing on Vapor Trails is certainly forgivable given the circumstances, but there is NO excuse for how that album sounds. For the time and money a band like Rush put into that album it is absolutely mind-blowing that at the end of it all an album could come out that sounds that bad. There are very few instances were I will come straight out and unequivocally blame Rush for something but it's there record and the way Vapor Trails sounds is one of the worst mistakes in their entire career.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #1088 on: May 05, 2011, 12:21:58 PM »
The sub-par song-writing on Vapor Trails is certainly forgivable given the circumstances, but there is NO excuse for how that album sounds. For the time and money a band like Rush put into that album it is absolutely mind-blowing that at the end of it all an album could come out that sounds that bad. There are very few instances were I will come straight out and unequivocally blame Rush for something but it's there record and the way Vapor Trails sounds is one of the worst mistakes in their entire career.

I agree completely with this. I can't enjoy the album at all because of how bad it is.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1089 on: May 05, 2011, 12:23:25 PM »
And before anyone comes out and says "I don't see what's so bad about Vapor Trails", listen to what I made below and tell me what sticks out to you...

www.wpapu.com/sounds/rushgasm.mp3
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1090 on: May 05, 2011, 01:21:34 PM »
You know, I knew Vapor Trails was bad, and a major casualty in the loudness war, but I just never realized how bad until you juxtapose it with any other Rush album like you did in that clip, even the modern-day ones.  :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1091 on: May 05, 2011, 01:28:53 PM »
Sound yes.  No solo's, yes, but I still love the rawness and the emotion of VT and wished it was recorded differently.  I think we all know how the band feels about it too.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1092 on: May 05, 2011, 02:23:27 PM »
I kinda like the songs on Vapor Trails, too.  High energy, different direction.  I don't care if there aren't guitar solos.  But the sound is absolutely crap. 

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #1093 on: May 05, 2011, 02:27:23 PM »
Got my MP blu-ray. Is the CD a new mix, and if so, how different is it from the last remaster?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1094 on: May 05, 2011, 02:35:57 PM »
Got my MP blu-ray. Is the CD a new mix, and if so, how different is it from the last remaster?

It is digitally remastered but I haven't A/B it yet.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1095 on: May 05, 2011, 02:39:59 PM »
And before anyone comes out and says "I don't see what's so bad about Vapor Trails", listen to what I made below and tell me what sticks out to you...

www.wpapu.com/sounds/rushgasm.mp3
Oh my God, I literally shuddered when I heard One little victory in there. We actually have the remixed version of that particular song, why didn't you put that in?  :lol Still an incredible riff that kicks some serious ass, though.  :metal

EDIT: Actually, what the clip did for me was make me realize how much I love Rush and why.  :hefdaddy

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1097 on: May 05, 2011, 02:52:28 PM »
I'd take Roll the Bones over Counterparts by a hair.

Like Counterparts but love RTB.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1098 on: May 05, 2011, 02:52:51 PM »
Ha ha, I love that cover!

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #1099 on: May 05, 2011, 03:10:33 PM »
... "We're going in a conceptual direction on this record, for sure," says Lee. "We started with a 10-minute song idea that then turned into a concept and it's feeding off itself. It's like that question that Steven Colbert asked us in the movie. Are your songs so long that by the end you're influencing yourself? I think we're doing that now. We're like a feedback loop, influencing ourselves now. We're spending so much time on this concept. It's been fun, because we haven't gone down that road in a while. Let's see if we can pull it off!" ... "It's not just the fans! We're hoping for another great Rush album ourselves!" ...

We So Excited!!!

:friday::friday::friday::friday::friday::friday::friday::friday::friday::friday::friday::friday::friday:

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1100 on: May 05, 2011, 04:04:22 PM »
Can I just say that the snare on Snakes and Arrows is absolutely fantastic
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline jsem

« Reply #1101 on: May 05, 2011, 04:06:12 PM »
I have high hopes for this record. Going to be epic.

ALSO CONCERT IN LESS THAN 24 HRS

:mangini: :mangini: :mangini: :mangini: :mangini: :mangini: :mangini: :mangini: :mangini: :mangini: :mangini:

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #1102 on: May 05, 2011, 07:27:08 PM »
Snakes And Arrows, epic??? That album is probably the weakest album Rush has ever made. Besides a couple of good songs its mostly mid tempo filler.
I love Vapor Trails! Its light years better then Snakes And Arrows, imo.

No, VT is easily the weakest Rush album.

That being said, I'm perfectly OK with a band releasing ONE bad album considering the fact that they have like 17.

Also, they were going through a ton of shit around that time, hadn't played together in like five years, etc. Perfectly understandable why VT came out the way it did.
To each his own. I love Vapor Trails while I don't care for Snakes And Arrows.
But then again, I am in the minority who thinks SC is better the BCSL.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1103 on: May 05, 2011, 11:00:10 PM »
VT definitely sounds crappy overall, but some of the best songs benefit from the loudness, as it gives them more of an edginess.  The remixed or whatever version of "Earthshine" that they released a few years back had a lot of the life sucked out of it.  So, while VT has a handful of songs that are pretty pedestrian to the point where I don't care if I ever hear them again, there are a bunch of songs that I love/like a lot, and I can expect how they sound, warts and all.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1104 on: May 05, 2011, 11:03:50 PM »
The problem with the version of Earthshine you're talking about is that the problem with the album wasn't one with the mix/mastering, it was mainly with the recording. In order to make it sound better in the remix/master they basically had to take away the energy of the song. If they completely redid the song right it could have the best of both worlds.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #1105 on: May 05, 2011, 11:05:43 PM »
VT definitely sounds crappy overall, but some of the best songs benefit from the loudness, as it gives them more of an edginess.  The remixed or whatever version of "Earthshine" that they released a few years back had a lot of the life sucked out of it.  So, while VT has a handful of songs that are pretty pedestrian to the point where I don't care if I ever hear them again, there are a bunch of songs that I love/like a lot, and I can expect how they sound, warts and all.

I don't get the logic of "clipping gives a song punch". I don't think it does. At all. It just makes it hard for me to listen to, and even harder to blast because it sounds so horrible.

There are plenty of songs that have more balls than VT and they aren't victims of the loudness war.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1106 on: May 06, 2011, 05:52:20 AM »
There are a couple of songs on Vapor Trails that I can live without while in my opinion, about half of Snakes And Arrows is pretty much crap.

Songs I can do without would include...
"Faithless"    "Bravest Face"     "Good News First"  "The Larger Bowl"  "We Hold On"  "Working Them Angels"

I just don't like S&A much. Weak songs.

Offline jsem

« Reply #1107 on: May 06, 2011, 05:59:01 AM »
Rush concert in 5 ½ hrs.. that means blasting Moving Pictures until I have to go.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1108 on: May 06, 2011, 05:59:54 AM »
Rush concert in 5 ½ hrs.. that means blasting Moving Pictures until I have to go.

Man I'm so jealous right now. Have fun!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline jsem

« Reply #1109 on: May 06, 2011, 06:00:31 AM »

You should've bought tickets man  :-\

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1110 on: May 06, 2011, 06:06:59 AM »

You should've bought tickets man  :-\

Yeah I know, couldn't afford it at the time :-\
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1111 on: May 06, 2011, 06:07:15 AM »
Report back jsem on everything!!

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #1112 on: May 06, 2011, 08:49:17 AM »
There are a couple of songs on Vapor Trails that I can live without while in my opinion, about half of Snakes And Arrows is pretty much crap.

"Faithless"    "Bravest Face"     "Good News First"  "The Larger Bowl"  "We Hold On"  "Working Them Angels"

But... you're wrong

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1113 on: May 06, 2011, 08:56:07 AM »

But... you're wrong
You fixed my wagon.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1114 on: May 06, 2011, 08:59:50 AM »

I don't get the logic of "clipping gives a song punch". I don't think it does. At all. It just makes it hard for me to listen to, and even harder to blast because it sounds so horrible.

There are plenty of songs that have more balls than VT and they aren't victims of the loudness war.

Good thing I didn't specifically say that "clipping gives a song punch" then, eh? ;) 

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #1115 on: May 06, 2011, 09:04:27 AM »

Good thing I didn't specifically say that "clipping gives a song punch" then, eh? ;) 

I know, and I'm sorry if it seemed like I was putting words in your mouth, but I've seen this argument a few times before, and even posted here (I think in the PT thread). I just don't understand it at all.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1116 on: May 06, 2011, 09:08:28 AM »
No, it's all good. :)  I can see why my post might have implied that I thought that, but, no, I just mean that some of the songs benefit by having that loud edginess to it.  For example, I like the production and sound of S&A, but a song like "Freeze" would lose a lot of its punch with that kind of production.  Sure, it would still rock, but it would lose some of that extra oomph that the VT sound gives it, which is why I except it as is, warts and all.  The more average songs aren't as listenable, so therefore the clipping and loudness stands out more, and definitely in a negative way.  I mean, I have no idea what they were trying to do with the verses of "The Stars Look Down." :lol

Kosmo

« Reply #1117 on: May 06, 2011, 10:20:18 AM »
So the show in Finland was pretty cool. They played Moving Pictures all the way through and newer stuff too. And some other shit. But Moving Pictures is the best. Yes.

Offline jsem

« Reply #1118 on: May 06, 2011, 04:23:11 PM »
WOAH! Epic show.

Highlights, apart from Moving Picture in its entirety, was Temple of Syrinx part of 2112... and the encore including La Villa Strangiato.

Seriously. I couldn't believe it when I heard the 2112 space sounds. I mangini'd instantly.

:hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #1119 on: May 06, 2011, 04:25:01 PM »
Even after seeing them twice on this tour, I still have this burning desire to see them yet again. They're amazing performers.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH