Author Topic: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels  (Read 508671 times)

Offline contest_sanity

Re: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels
« Reply #840 on: March 31, 2011, 03:18:42 PM »
Alex is my all-timefavorite musician, but his words about set lists always have to be taken with a grain of salt. :lol
I'm not really in the mood to continue giving him the pass on this every single time!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #841 on: March 31, 2011, 03:31:41 PM »
For all we know, they may have rehearsed the song but one or two or three of them may have decided against it during rehearsals. They have admitted to rehearsing "The Camera Eye" before (sometime in the last few tours) but have said they didn't "feel it" and thus, was dropped from the setlists. This could be the case for "Jacob's Ladder" on the Time Machine Tour

I am aware, but Alex has to know how diehard their fan base is, so he should know better than to say they are gonna play a classic that hasn't seen the light of day in 30 years unless he is 100% sure it is gonna get played.

Personally, I'd love to hear "Different Strings" over "Jacob's Ladder", especially since it has never been played live before. Infact, I'd like to see them do a tour with a set of unplayed songs including "Different Strings", "Madrigal", "Losing It", "Emotion Detector", "Second Nature" (acoustic, since Geddy said they thought about it), "Available Light" and many more from the last 4 albums.

Good idea in theory, but bad in reality.  A whole set full of never played songs would bore the majority of the crowd.  Throwing in a couple throughout the set list would be fine with me, but a whole set?  Nah.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #842 on: March 31, 2011, 03:43:06 PM »
As I've been saying for years, one of the acoustic sets they did should have been Madrigal and Different Strings.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #843 on: March 31, 2011, 07:22:14 PM »
As I've been saying for years, one of the acoustic sets they did should have been Madrigal and Different Strings.

meh

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #844 on: March 31, 2011, 09:59:04 PM »
I'd rather hear "Second Nature", "Nobody's Hero" or "How It Is" as acoustic songs. (I know I said "Sweet Miracle", but after listening to it again, I figure "How It Is" would be better for an acoustic transition).

-Marc.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 10:48:52 PM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #845 on: March 31, 2011, 10:18:52 PM »
I'd love to see "Nobody's Hero" return in any form, even though Geddy always struggled a bit with the chorus live.  And the other bummer was that Alex could never play the solo before the second verse because he had to do the acoustic strumming (which cannot not be done there).  That little solo is one of my favorite moments of the entire CP record. :coolio

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #846 on: April 02, 2011, 01:34:40 PM »
Today is the day! I'm literally covered in Rush.

Wow, no words can describe how amazing this band is.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 10:58:28 PM by DarkEternalNight »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #847 on: April 03, 2011, 06:24:07 AM »
I'd love to see "Nobody's Hero" return in any form, even though Geddy always struggled a bit with the chorus live.  And the other bummer was that Alex could never play the solo before the second verse because he had to do the acoustic strumming (which cannot not be done there).  That little solo is one of my favorite moments of the entire CP record. :coolio

I'd rather hear that solo too.  I'd love to hear Everyday Glory live.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #848 on: April 03, 2011, 02:42:02 PM »
My car broke down thirty minutes away from the venue last night.  Got to spend $300 fixing my car in Thomasville and just got back to school.  Didn't get to see Rush.

If I hadn't already seen them on the Time Machine tour already I probably would have cried.  But I'll cry now because I just spent $430 (ticket + car + gas) NOT to see Rush.  :(

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #849 on: April 03, 2011, 02:43:36 PM »
Oh man...that seriously sucks.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline jsem

« Reply #850 on: April 03, 2011, 03:15:52 PM »
Oh man...that seriously sucks.

Fully agree with this. I would lose it if I didn't get to see Rush now.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #851 on: April 03, 2011, 03:22:04 PM »
My car broke down thirty minutes away from the venue last night.  Got to spend $300 fixing my car in Thomasville and just got back to school.  Didn't get to see Rush.

If I hadn't already seen them on the Time Machine tour already I probably would have cried.  But I'll cry now because I just spent $430 (ticket + car + gas) NOT to see Rush.  :(
You know what cheers me up when stuff like this happens to me?

Hobo killing. A night of just good, clean hobo killing.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #852 on: April 03, 2011, 04:03:28 PM »
sky, I'm sorry.  That's sucks.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #853 on: April 03, 2011, 05:45:15 PM »
Ninja, that's horrible, and something I too have been worried about since I'm dragging my piece of crap car 400 miles for my show.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #854 on: April 03, 2011, 05:52:47 PM »

This is always my main concern driving 200-300 miles to see a concert.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #855 on: April 03, 2011, 06:32:02 PM »
The distance was 190 miles.  I made it to 160. 

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #856 on: April 03, 2011, 07:06:42 PM »
Sweet Joseph Smith cheeseburgers that sucks!

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #857 on: April 03, 2011, 07:48:39 PM »
I would have made a sign that said something like "Need a lift to the Rush show". You know somebody going there too could have given you a lift.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #858 on: April 03, 2011, 09:29:23 PM »
Oh yeah, now you tell him.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #859 on: April 03, 2011, 09:43:24 PM »
And get picked up by some murderer/rapist?  No, thanks.  I enjoy existing without a violated anus.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #860 on: April 03, 2011, 09:44:39 PM »
I know Rush fans can be weird but calling them rapists is a pretty harsh generalization.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #861 on: April 04, 2011, 05:28:36 AM »
Not the Rush fans, of course, but I was pretty much in the middle of nowhere, and as everyone knows, you'll always get murdered if you hitchhike when your car breaks down.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #862 on: April 04, 2011, 08:00:49 AM »
Not the Rush fans, of course, but I was pretty much in the middle of nowhere, and as everyone knows, you'll always get murdered if you hitchhike when your car breaks down.
Or at least end up with a violated anus.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #863 on: April 04, 2011, 08:14:25 AM »
Man, that sucks :( I would have been so pissed off!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #864 on: April 04, 2011, 12:37:52 PM »
www.wpapu.com

2011-03-30: To celebrate the renewal of Rush's Time Machine tour, and my own personal trip of 400 miles to see the Rush DVD filming in Cleveland, April will officially be Rush month at When Prog and Power Unite. What exactly does Rush month mean you ask? Kicking off our show on April 4th will be the first set from Rush's Time Machine tour. The middle of the April 11th show will feature Moving Pictures in full, and the April 18th show will end with the remaining songs from the Time Machine tour. Included in that last show will be an excellent audience recording of Neil's solo from the tour.

So tell your fellow Rush fans to come on out for these shows and discuss the tour and all things Rush during the show.

The Rush celebration starts tonight. Show starts at 6 and with it the beginning set of the Time Machine tour. Come out and have some prime discussion with other Rush fanatics!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #865 on: April 04, 2011, 02:10:29 PM »

Oof, that sucks big time.  Sorry to hear that happened to you, man! :tdwn :tdwn

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #866 on: April 04, 2011, 02:14:02 PM »
On the bright side I've discovered that playing "Marathon" on bass is actually a lot easier than I thought it'd be.  I was so intimidated by the song for a year because it just sounded so difficult, but its really not!  Or maybe I'm just getting better.  Naaaaaah...

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #867 on: April 04, 2011, 02:16:17 PM »
Marathon will always be a live highlight for me as I saw it first time from the 4th row and had no clue about the little thing they added...

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #868 on: April 04, 2011, 02:56:37 PM »
I loved in the 80's when they played Marathon, they flooded the fans with white lights when the choir kicks in.  Goosebump moments.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #869 on: April 04, 2011, 03:50:26 PM »
www.wpapu.com

Show starts in 10 minutes, really hoping for a strong crowd tonight, Rush fans better represent!

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #870 on: April 04, 2011, 11:07:15 PM »
Skydivingninja.................CHECK YOUR PM.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #871 on: April 05, 2011, 12:52:59 AM »
I loved in the 80's when they played Marathon, they flooded the fans with white lights when the choir kicks in.  Goosebump moments.

Oh man, I would love to have experienced that :eek

Such a grandiose way to end that song.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #872 on: April 05, 2011, 04:59:51 PM »
Moving Pictures in 5.1 was released today.  I was going to pick it up on the way home from work, but I forget my card.  So instead I've been reading the reviews at AVS Forum and weeping silently to myself.  These are reviews from "real people" -- other forumites who are Rush fans.

----------

Wow.

Having just spent the morning with Moving Pictures on Blu-ray, I can say that they got it right all over again. This fabulous album is brand-new. From the opening synth growl in Tom Sawyer to final fade in Vital Signs you’ll be treated to something that is truly special.

The surround mix is magnificent. Your rear speakers get plenty of work, but never fear; this mix is a companion unobtrusive , there but never obnoxious. It’s aggressive where it fits the music (the opening synths and percussion in Witch Hunt), occasionally playful (the triangle that opens YYZ), but never gimmicky. You’ll be glad if you sprung for matching mains and surrounds.

Those (like me) that have bemoaned the neutered bass on previous Rush releases have cause to rejoice: it’s here in spades. Full, focused, never bloated, and present in amounts that will shake the rafters, we finally have a Rush release that will satisfy even the most ardent Ged-heads.

Neil’s drums are mixed as if watching him play from the audience, with high toms to the right. All the famous jaw-dropping fills that audiences have come to know and love are reproduced here in thunderous clarity. The drum sound is that of the era, of course, and Neil would probably wish that the open sound of his DW kit circa 2011 was captured here, but that’s part of the fun of remixing a classic.

Alex’s guitars are loud and proud, just like a good rock record ought to be. The effect is a full room sound that had this listener grinning for the entire 40 minutes this gem of a record runs.

Run, don’t walk, to your get your copy.

----------

Bought a copy of each version today from BB. Just finished playing the 5.1 PCM track on the BD version, and it was incredible to say the least. To think that this album is some 30-odd years old now...It seems they learned a lot of lessons from the Snakes and Arrows sessions when it comes to doing a proper 5.1 mix.

The videos were okay too. It was nice to see the clip for "Vital Signs" again after so long. And prior to getting this disc, I had never seen the studio clip for "Tom Sawyer" before.

----------

I just picked up the Blu Ray version of this album at Best Buy. They also have the DVD-Audio version for $17.99. I have listened to about half of the album in DTS-MA and it is outstanding. The mix is a little strong to the rears but overall very well balanced. The low end is amazing and will deffinately work your subs. There is a lot of low end from the center channel. I have a powered sub in series with my center and it is noticable. The sound overall is very open. I really enjoy this format. I have the Tom Petty releases as well and compared to the large selection of SACD and DVD-A's that I have I'd have to say the Blu Ray's are better. Navigation is a little tough initially. You need to turn on your TV so you can set the audio choice but once you do this I don't think you'll need to have the TV on to set this up. I have a Harmony One and even using the audio button it is a little slow to find the DTS-MA. The video's are OK. Older footage of the band in 4:3 but the audio is DTS-MA. Overall I am very pleased with this disc. I will see what the regular CD sounds like but I do not expect it to compete with the surround sound mix. I can only hope that more music is released in this format. I'll be interested to see what others think of this. Enjoy.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #873 on: April 05, 2011, 05:02:01 PM »
I picked it up the MP 5.1 Blu Ray an hour ago and will post my review tomorrow when I listen to it!

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #874 on: April 05, 2011, 05:03:12 PM »
 :facepalm: Amazon said the blu ray wasn't being released until May, and still says that. However, the DVD on there says April 5.

I wonder if I order the blu ray from them if I will get it now, or if they'll make me wait til May?