Author Topic: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels  (Read 508154 times)

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels
« Reply #770 on: March 20, 2011, 10:26:39 PM »
Roll the Bones is actually good. I've never been that crazy about Presto.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline lodeus

« Reply #771 on: March 20, 2011, 10:41:19 PM »
Roll the Bones is actually good. I've never been that crazy about Presto.
Those two and Power Windows are better than most people say.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #772 on: March 20, 2011, 10:55:09 PM »
Most people say Power Windows is one of their best albums. I'd say it's all the appreciation it deserves.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline lodeus

« Reply #773 on: March 20, 2011, 11:08:25 PM »
I don't think it does in comparison to other albums though.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #774 on: March 21, 2011, 11:40:34 AM »
Album rankings are kind of hard for me, I don't think I'd ever be able to make up my mind on a finalized list.  I will say though that apparently I like Hold Your Fire, Caress of Steel and Presto alot more then most people seem to.  I think "Open Secrets" off HYF and "Chain Lightning" off Presto are awesome tracks that I never see appreciated, and Caress of Steel is just an awesome prog album from start to finish.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #775 on: March 21, 2011, 11:45:15 AM »
I don't think it does in comparison to other albums though.

I feel this way a lot

Like, Moving Pictures is praised beyond pretty much every other Rush album, and as good as it is, I've just never seen it as godly, per se. Same with Permanent Waves and Hemispheres. Honestly, Hemispheres is just 'good'. The title track doesn't grab me like it seems to do to most people

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #776 on: March 22, 2011, 09:43:03 AM »
Great line in Chuck last night.  Another Rush nod.  The geeks shall inherit the earth!(or at least my viewing pleasure!)

"Morgan Grimes is interviewing potential new agents and after asking a series of serious questions to a group of candidates, he asks one of them Quick! What is Rush's best album?! to which the candidate replies Caress of Steel. Morgan then makes a buzzer noise, looks at the candidate with disappointment and says nope... next!"
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #777 on: March 22, 2011, 11:07:53 AM »
Awesome!  I haven't watched this week's Chuck yet, but I will.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #778 on: March 22, 2011, 11:10:25 AM »
:lol

Offline Occasional_Madman

• A danger to myself
« Reply #779 on: March 22, 2011, 11:45:42 PM »
I don't know how I haven't checked into this thread yet.

Honestly, I think Presto is one of their best. The Pass is an absolute favorite of mine. Though it does hit close to home. I was also incredibly happy that the title track was featured on the Time Machine Tour. Say what you will about Anagram, but it love it all.
So many things I think about,
When I look far away
Things I know, Things I wonder
Things I'd like to say...

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #780 on: March 23, 2011, 10:27:13 AM »
I don't know if one of their best but I think it is a really good album. I first I didn't get it but now I enjoy it a lot. My favorite song of the album is Red Tide. I just love it.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #781 on: March 23, 2011, 11:31:53 AM »
My Rush concert might be in jeopardy.  My car's been acting up a lot lately.  Its shaking more when I put it into drive, likely because I need my transmission fluid changed (according to the guy at my last oil change it was getting pretty bad), and I'm leaking coolant everywhere.  I reeeeeeally don't want to break down on the way to Greensboro... :( :(

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #782 on: March 23, 2011, 12:23:24 PM »
Go anyway. If you break down, you break down. Just leave like, 3 hours earlier just in case you need to call AAA :P

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #783 on: March 23, 2011, 03:01:35 PM »
Or maybe get your car fixed.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #784 on: March 26, 2011, 03:03:18 PM »
I prefer Presto to Roll the Bones also, but that may be because I've listened to Presto a lot more.  Roll the Bones has some good stuff, I'm just not as familiar with it.

I like each one for different reasons. Maybe overall I might like Presto better because I think it's a little more experimental. I realize songs like "You Bet Your Life" and "Face Up" tie into the Roll The Bones theme, but I think the performances and the lyrics almost sound boring to me. The Roll The Bones songs that were played sound MUCH better live.

I've always felt that Rush went through a "mid-life" crisis during the Presto Tour and some of it may have carried over into the Roll The Bones album. Both albums kind of sound a bit on the thin side (Ruppert Hine produced both) although the remasters helped a little with this. The band has pretty much come out against Presto as a whole, at least partly due to the production though I still think the songwriting is pretty strong.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #785 on: March 26, 2011, 03:58:03 PM »
Or maybe get your car fixed.

Got my transmission flushed and my car is already driving better.  Still have to deal with the coolant leak as soon as weather permits.  Point is I'll be able to go now without being afraid of breaking down.

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #786 on: March 26, 2011, 04:10:44 PM »
Yay!  :metal

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #787 on: March 26, 2011, 11:06:36 PM »
Sounds good! :tup

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #788 on: March 26, 2011, 11:14:38 PM »
I just realized that I didn't have Fly By Night in my iTunes library. That issue is now resolved. :tup
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #789 on: March 28, 2011, 01:34:31 PM »
God, the third disc of Different Stages is so awesome. I actually don't have it on CD... the guy who got me into Rush (a bootleg collector I used to trade with on a Rolling Stones board) sent me a bunch of the extra albums he had... he included Different Stages, but for some reason, there were only disc one and two. He included the third disc on a burnt CD, but it has gaps on it. I don't feel like buying Different Stages for one CD since I have the actual CDs for the first two discs.

Anyways, my question is was there a 2-disc release of this? I'm not home, and it's been a few years since I looked at the packaging, but I want to say there were only two slots for cds in mine.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #790 on: March 28, 2011, 01:39:32 PM »
No, it was only a 3 cd package.  Geddy for years didn't want that recording released because he was sick during that show and he thought his voice was raspy.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #791 on: March 28, 2011, 01:41:32 PM »
Geddy definitely sounds a little "sick" in parts, but I've always liked that show better than All The World's A Stage. I mean... Cygnus X-1, A Farewell to Kings, Xanadu, Anthem... fucking blow my socks off!  :metal

Offline DarkEternalNight

• GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #792 on: March 28, 2011, 02:01:34 PM »
I'm going all out for the concert in 4 days, every piece of clothing on my body will be Rush-related + stickers, pins, temp. tattoos. I've never been more excited for a concert in my life.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #793 on: March 28, 2011, 02:19:58 PM »
 :tup

Is this your first time seeing them?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #794 on: March 28, 2011, 02:25:17 PM »
God, the third disc of Different Stages is so awesome. I actually don't have it on CD... the guy who got me into Rush (a bootleg collector I used to trade with on a Rolling Stones board) sent me a bunch of the extra albums he had... he included Different Stages, but for some reason, there were only disc one and two. He included the third disc on a burnt CD, but it has gaps on it. I don't feel like buying Different Stages for one CD since I have the actual CDs for the first two discs.

Anyways, my question is was there a 2-disc release of this? I'm not home, and it's been a few years since I looked at the packaging, but I want to say there were only two slots for cds in mine.

I have it on CD somewhere, and I seem to recall that the third disc had its own sleeve and was just slipped into the jacket.  It also had some cool software graphics program on it that was fun to play with, but you could only run it if the CD was in, which limited it severely.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #795 on: March 28, 2011, 02:28:17 PM »

I have it on CD somewhere, and I seem to recall that the third disc had its own sleeve and was just slipped into the jacket.  It also had some cool software graphics program on it that was fun to play with, but you could only run it if the CD was in, which limited it severely.

Yup.  Orbert is 100% correct.

Offline DarkEternalNight

• GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #796 on: March 28, 2011, 02:45:07 PM »
:tup

Is this your first time seeing them?
Second, saw them in D.C. September 18th. Totally worth the 4 hour ride. Probably the most fun I've ever had.

Offline DarkEternalNight

• GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #797 on: March 28, 2011, 05:07:09 PM »
Greensboro show delayed until Saturday, Toledo show delayed a week.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #798 on: March 28, 2011, 06:43:09 PM »
Somewhat homosexual, but at least it wasn't postponed, say, a week, or until a weekend.  Then I wouldn't be able to go...

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #799 on: March 28, 2011, 06:51:58 PM »
Seeing them in 2 days woooooooooooooooo!

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #800 on: March 28, 2011, 06:52:23 PM »
So its your fault my show was delayed?

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #801 on: March 28, 2011, 06:53:29 PM »
Hell yeah it is

Suck it from the sky

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #802 on: March 29, 2011, 09:49:10 AM »
RUSH TIME MACHINE TOUR 2011 GREENSBORO & TOLEDO DATE CHANGES!

Monday, March 28, 2011

Live Nation announced today that due to unforeseen circumstances the Rush performance previously scheduled for this Friday, April 1st in Greensboro has been postponed one day and will now take place on Saturday, April 2nd at the Greensboro Coliseum. Doors remain 6:30 pm with show time at 7:30 pm.

After much consideration, as the Toledo performance would have been the 4th show in 5 days the decision was made to delay the show rather than move forward as previously scheduled. The added time between shows will ensure that fans in Toledo are treated to the best performance that Rush can deliver. As a result, the Toledo performance previously scheduled for Wednesday, April 6th will be postponed one week and will now take place on Wednesday, April 13th at Huntington Center.

Tickets for both of the previously scheduled performance will be honored at the rescheduled dates. Fans requiring a refund may do so at point of purchase.

For complete tour and ticket details visit: www.livenation.com and www.rush.com

---------

That seems rather odd.  And it could really suck for those who have tickets for the original dates and now can't make the new ones for whatever reason. 

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #803 on: March 29, 2011, 09:58:41 AM »
Is the setlist the same as last fall?

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #804 on: March 29, 2011, 10:07:13 AM »
According to Alex, but I'd fine with a few song changes.