Author Topic: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels  (Read 508428 times)

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
Re: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels
« Reply #630 on: February 03, 2011, 06:33:16 PM »
I heard differently

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #631 on: February 04, 2011, 04:26:08 AM »
Guitarist Alex Lifeson told the magazine, "We were never happy with the production. Perhaps we should have taken more time over the record. But now we've got the chance to improve things." He added, "There will be no re-recording, just a remix."
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #632 on: February 04, 2011, 05:34:47 AM »
Guitarist Alex Lifeson told the magazine, "We were never happy with the production. Perhaps we should have taken more time over the record. But now we've got the chance to improve things." He added, "There will be no re-recording, just a remix."

The 2 re mixed songs on the greatest hits cd(OLV and Earthshine) were light years better than the original so a remix would be just fine by me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TL

« Reply #633 on: February 04, 2011, 02:03:42 PM »
One Little Victory sounded much better, but I wasn't crazy about how the Earthshine remix sounded. Maybe I'm just used to how it sounds on VT, but it felt like parts of the sound were missing.

Regardless, getting the whole VT album remixed is pretty exciting news.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #634 on: February 04, 2011, 02:06:08 PM »
I wasn't keen on the remix of "Earthshine" either.  While it sounded "cleaner," it took away some of the power and rawness of it. 

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #635 on: February 06, 2011, 08:40:35 PM »
Regarding said news of a possible remix of Vapor Trails, I went to ultimate-guitar to look for a tab and this caught my attention on the front page https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upcoming_releases/rush_remix_vapor_trails.html

You fans are lucky, I tell ya.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #636 on: February 08, 2011, 04:05:52 PM »
I liked the One Little victory remix, but not Earthshine.

The mixes on the Vapor Trails promotional singles and the interview disc are different from the album, but I can't recall how they fared against the album as I always want to listen to the whole album and not just a song or two.

I suppose if I were smart, I'd just add those mixes before the album on another disc.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Rush in 5.1
« Reply #637 on: February 09, 2011, 12:22:37 PM »
From https://musictap.net/:

"Alex Lifeson of Rush has let it be known that a 5.1 mix of Moving Pictures (1981) is being readied as well as a 5.1 remix of Vapor Trails (2002).  No release dates set for the time being.  In addition, the Rush Universal albums are being slated for a remaster/reissue campaign (no word on which precise titles nor a release date).  Their last remaster campaign was The 1997 Rush Remasters."

I don't know how many of us have the capability to listen to music in 5.1, but this is damned exciting for me.  Unfortunately, no format has been specified, but there is an increasing amount of music being released in 5.1 on Blu-ray, plus SACD and DVD-A aren't quite dead yet.  SACD has actually seen something of a resurgence lately, as Sony has included SACD decoding in all their recent Blu-ray players, and Oppo (recognized as the maker of universal players) has always supported SACD.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #638 on: February 09, 2011, 02:59:47 PM »
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
 :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

I too have an oppo blu ray player so I am fine with whatever format they release it in, be it DVD-A, SACD, or bluray audio.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #639 on: February 09, 2011, 03:32:41 PM »
Then you and I will be all set.  We can post about how awesome Moving Pictures sounds in remastered 5.1 surround while others look on and weep.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #640 on: February 09, 2011, 04:24:29 PM »
Please god, let Steven Wilson be doing these remixes.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #641 on: February 09, 2011, 04:25:40 PM »
That's fine, as long as he doesn't sing!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #642 on: February 09, 2011, 04:28:54 PM »
That's fine, as long as he doesn't sing!

But these are remixes, why in the world would he ever be singing?

If I didn't know any better I'd say you're just taking a cheap opportunity to take a stab at Steven Wilson... :p
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #643 on: February 09, 2011, 04:31:30 PM »
 :lol

Guilty!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #644 on: February 09, 2011, 04:41:29 PM »
I just though of something though... I don't think they could have possibly picked two worse albums to do 5.1 on. Vapor Trails has 0 keyboards and Moving Pictures will have a live 5.1 mix once the Cleveland DVD is out.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #645 on: February 09, 2011, 05:09:08 PM »
I just though of something though... I don't think they could have possibly picked two worse albums to do 5.1 on. Vapor Trails has 0 keyboards and Moving Pictures will have a live 5.1 mix once the Cleveland DVD is out.

I haven't heard/read anything that indicated that VT would get the 5.1 treatment... but even if it did, there's layers of guitars on there that could be spread out amongst the audio tracks.

As for MP, it's the 30th anniversary, so it's important as a release. I mean, the King Crimson re-issues were done out of order, but to celebrate the debut's 40th anniversary, it was released first. I think releasing the band's most well-known and popular album first would be smart, especially since it's the anniversary AND the band is promoting it by playing the whole album live.

I think if they wanted to re-issue them like King Crimson is doing it, they could pick one album from each of their 3 "phases" from their Universal albums. Perhaps, first wave would be like MP, 2112 and GUP. Second wave would be PEW, POW and FBN. Third wave would then be AFTK, COS and HYF. Fourth wave would be HEMI, SIG and RUSH.
... or something like that. They could release four sets of 3 albums each, every 3-4 months, and get them all out over a year.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #646 on: February 09, 2011, 07:41:14 PM »
They'd probably do 5.1 for VT because they said they wanted to remix the album anyways. Would be the best time to do it, most likely.

Hopefully the other albums will follow suit soon after this.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #647 on: February 11, 2011, 07:18:55 PM »
Just wanted to say that Hemispheres was the song/album that first got me into prog. So epic, so good!  :metal

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #648 on: February 12, 2011, 12:03:43 AM »
Just wanted to say that Hemispheres was the song/album that first got me into prog. So epic, so good!  :metal

Also "Something for Nothing" and "2112"! :metal :hat
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #649 on: February 12, 2011, 03:20:37 PM »
30 years ago today, the world changed. Moving Pictures was released to the public.

Offline jsem

« Reply #650 on: February 12, 2011, 03:48:39 PM »
30 years ago today, the world changed. Moving Pictures was released to the public.
:tup

I'm seeing it live in its entirety in 3 months. Going to be epic.

Offline DarkEternalNight

• GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #651 on: February 12, 2011, 04:12:49 PM »
It was the best moment of my live and still is until I see it again on April 1st.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #652 on: February 12, 2011, 04:18:52 PM »
It was epic indeed. Was one of the first to see it live too, the whole set was great. Fit the theme well.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #653 on: February 12, 2011, 06:03:28 PM »
I've had Snakes & Arrows since its release. I've heard countless other Rush songs and albums, but none grab me like this one. Hearing that someone involved with the creation of this album audio-wise is going to be working with DT excited me and inspired me to give S&A a spin.

Alex Lifeson rips the heart of the guitar. Also, while I'm at it, this album's sound is phenomenal.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #654 on: February 12, 2011, 07:35:54 PM »
I've had Snakes & Arrows since its release. I've heard countless other Rush songs and albums, but none grab me like this one. Hearing that someone involved with the creation of this album audio-wise is going to be working with DT excited me and inspired me to give S&A a spin.

Alex Lifeson rips the heart of the guitar. Also, while I'm at it, this album's sound is phenomenal.

You need the 5.1 of S & A.  What a eargasm with Lifeson being split on different channels.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline DarkEternalNight

• GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #655 on: February 12, 2011, 07:54:56 PM »
Armor and Sword is my favorite Rush song, actually. The whole CD is badass but that song sticks out. Far Cry is amazing life, much more than I thought it would be at least.

Online glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #656 on: February 12, 2011, 08:10:26 PM »
That's my favorite song off snakes & arrows too! So great.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #657 on: February 16, 2011, 05:23:22 PM »
From https://musictap.net/:

"Alex Lifeson of Rush has let it be known that a 5.1 mix of Moving Pictures (1981) is being readied as well as a 5.1 remix of Vapor Trails (2002).  No release dates set for the time being.  In addition, the Rush Universal albums are being slated for a remaster/reissue campaign (no word on which precise titles nor a release date).  Their last remaster campaign was The 1997 Rush Remasters."

Update:

Supposedly both CD/DVD and CD/BD packages will be available on April 5, 2011, but that's all it says on https://musictap.net/.  I'm excited, but I'm gonna hold off on any more updates from this site until there's some kind of confirmation.  I honestly don't know much about it, including how accurate it has proven to be.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #658 on: February 16, 2011, 07:28:41 PM »
Less than two months until the Cleveland DVD shoot!

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #659 on: February 21, 2011, 11:27:37 AM »
Confirmation from Planet Rock: Rush Reveal Moving Pictures Reissue

Audiophiles are going to love the new version of the 1981 classic

In April the band will reissue Moving Pictures as a CD/DVD and CD/Blu Ray. The album will contain the original album on CD and a 5.1 surround mix of the album on the DVD or Blu Ray, which will also contain the music videos for 'Tom Sawyer', 'Limelight' and 'Vital Signs.'

The 5.1 Surround Sound remix of Moving Pictures was handled by Canadian producer/engineer Richard Chycki �€” who is known for his work with Aerosmith and Our Lady Peace, and who teamed up with Nick Raskulinecz on Rush's last studio album, 2007's "Snakes & Arrows". He recently wrote on his official blog, "I finished tweaks on 'Red Barchetta' [on February 3]. It really was an amazing experience to spread the original tracks of such a classic CD into the 3D word of surround. (The car speeds off, goes behind and banks a sharp right in rear, [by the way]). The listening experience is drastically enveloping and coupled with songs and performances that epitomize this band, it's definitely a great time to re-discover RUSH.

"After discussion with the band, the goal here was to pay serious homage to the production of the era so a considerable amount of time was spent researching and working through effects, etc. that matched the original but would fare well in the 5.1 world. And, of course, placement was also a critical issue. I'm pleased with the results and Alex Lifeson was pretty blown away when he came in to listen to the finals."

Here's the CD/DVD contents:

Disc 1:
01. Tom Sawyer
02. Red Barchetta
03. YYZ
04. Limelight
05. The Camera Eye
06. Witch Hunt
07. Vital Signs

Disc 2:
01. Tom Sawyer (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)
02. Red Barchetta (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)
03. YYZ (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)
04. Limelight (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)
05. The Camera Eye (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)
06. Witch Hunt (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)
07. Vital Signs (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)
08. Tom Sawyer (Music Video - 5.1 & Stereo)
09. Limelight (Music Video - 5.1 & Stereo)
10. Vital Signs (Music Video - 5.1 & Stereo)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #660 on: February 21, 2011, 11:29:20 AM »
I am so on this.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #661 on: February 21, 2011, 11:30:29 AM »
 :o

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #662 on: February 21, 2011, 11:59:25 AM »
DO WANT.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #663 on: February 21, 2011, 12:06:45 PM »
I don't know if this is old, but apparently they're entering the studio in Sept 2011 and releasing the album before the NEXT tour, Spring 2012

https://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/alex-lifeson-0218-2011/

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #664 on: February 21, 2011, 12:12:04 PM »
I don't know if this is old, but apparently they're entering the studio in Sept 2011 and releasing the album before the NEXT tour, Spring 2012

https://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/alex-lifeson-0218-2011/

They were supposed to finish the CD and have it released for the fall or close to the end of this year but the demand for the tour has pushed it back to next year like the link you gave.