Author Topic: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels  (Read 508107 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels
« Reply #560 on: December 27, 2010, 08:29:46 PM »
Something I made for my radio show you folks should enjoy.

https://www.wpapu.com/sounds/Rushgasm.mp3
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #561 on: December 27, 2010, 11:01:52 PM »
Alright, if anyone can help me here, it would be much appreciated.

I'm sure, many years ago, I saw a picture of either Geddy Lee or the whole of Rush wearing a santa hat.  Does anybody know if I'm going mental, or does such a picture exist?  And if it does, could somebody please post it here or point me in the right direction?  If it doesn't, just tell me I'm mental and I'll go away happy.

Thanks!

I think someone did a photoshop somewhere along the line if I recall correctly.

Thanks for that... I can't find anything anywhere.  I'm sure I saw a picture in Kerrang! Or maybe Metal Hammer, but that would have probably been over 20 years ago.  I just wanted to make an appropriate Christmas card to put the Rush tickets (well, mockups, they haven't actually arrived yet) in to give to my wife in the morning.  :smiley:

Well, I remember Kerrang! doing a lot of that with other musicians back then, but I don't ever recall Geddy Alex or Neil being one of them.
I'm sure someone somewhere is using the idea mocked up as an avatar. I should check some of the Kerrangs I do have anyway to have a better idea.

Cool blanket, Nick.  Thanks for uploading that mp3, my comments on that are in the thread for your show: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=10479.630

I may have a quilt in the coming year with all of the worn out Rush concert shirts I've been saving, or so I've been told.

R30 is amazing, but my least favorite (performance-wise) they've released in the last decade.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #562 on: January 08, 2011, 03:02:16 PM »
RUSH RULES!!!  Looking forward to a new cd, hopefully in the spring early summer.  Nice to hear other people share the same love for Rush; I'm used to people saying they dislike the band.  "Beyond the Lighted Stage" showcased what the band is about and the appreciation that they deserve

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #563 on: January 08, 2011, 03:07:37 PM »
RUSH RULES!!!  Looking forward to a new cd, hopefully in the spring early summer.  Nice to hear other people share the same love for Rush; I'm used to people saying they dislike the band.  "Beyond the Lighted Stage" showcased what the band is about and the appreciation that they deserve

Don't hold your breath - With the band touring in Spring and Summer, they won't have the album done til Winter later this year.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #564 on: January 08, 2011, 10:12:23 PM »
One thing I liked about "Beyond the Lighted Stage" is how well it showed that the guys from Rush are at ease with themselves.  They know they're nerds, they don't have any illusions about being overwhelmingly cool, and they accept that.  They know they sell a lot of albums and concert tickets, but they're far from "rock stars" in the traditional sense.

Geddy actually seemed embarassed when they were at his house and the coolest thing he could think of to show off was his... baseball card collection?  (I think that's what it was; I've only watched it once so far.)  But only slightly embarassed, like hey, he knows it's not the most exciting thing, but it's what he likes, so there you go.  He's not going to apologize or feel bad for what he is.  He gives the rest of us hope.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #565 on: January 08, 2011, 11:42:47 PM »
I agree, the personal footage was very cool.  I especially enjoyed seeing footage of Alex Lifeson at home growing up and advising his parents of his desire to be a musician.  The movie overall is fantastic

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #566 on: January 10, 2011, 04:32:22 AM »
Just got my Subdivions tribute cd out for something different and I gotta say, this is a great listen.  The songs are well performed but extended and improvised adding something different to the tracks.  Some good performances and I think i much prefer this tribute over Working Man.

I gotta give a special nod to Kip Winger for his renditions of Limelight and Spirit of Radio, they are amazing.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #567 on: January 10, 2011, 04:35:21 AM »
I agree, the personal footage was very cool.  I especially enjoyed seeing footage of Alex Lifeson at home growing up and advising his parents of his desire to be a musician.

That's not real, is it? I just assumed it was actors.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #568 on: January 10, 2011, 04:49:17 AM »
Remember the part where Alex is watching the footage and comments on how naive he was? I doubt they would have him watch that and comment on it in that fashion if it were actors.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #569 on: January 10, 2011, 04:51:41 AM »
Yeah, it is real alright.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #570 on: January 10, 2011, 04:55:21 AM »
Which raises the question of why was it filmed in the first place? Who sees a dinner table discussion about a child's future and goes "oh shit, gotta go get the video camera!"?

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #571 on: January 10, 2011, 05:02:32 AM »
It was from a documentary film, 'Come On Children', where Alex is one of the kids.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0269104/

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #572 on: January 10, 2011, 09:09:46 AM »
That is some useful footage :metal

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #573 on: January 10, 2011, 03:59:40 PM »
The personal footage is what makes the doc so great; it's surreal in parts to watch

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #574 on: January 10, 2011, 04:25:06 PM »
Which raises the question of why was it filmed in the first place? Who sees a dinner table discussion about a child's future and goes "oh shit, gotta go get the video camera!"?

I always thought this too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #575 on: January 11, 2011, 10:20:59 AM »
Another update about the new album, from Alex this time:

"The whole idea of doing Moving Pictures and not sharing it, particularly in the UK, was a real concern of ours. So Ged and I will get back to writing in the new year. We'll get through the Christmas holidays and start writing through January and February. We only have two or three more songs that we feel we need for the album. So we can start reworking the material and get it in great shape. Then we'll prepare for the tour in March, finish in July, take the summer off then start work in earnest in September." - Alex Lifeson, Musicradar.com, January 10, 2011 - Thanks to John @ Cygnus-X1.net for the headsup!

sourced from news.2112.net

Looks like Geddy's prior comment about the album not being finished til late 2011 seems right on track. Looks like Clockwork Angels may not see release til Spring 2012. Looks like they're working the 5-year mark (VT in 02, S&A in 07, and now CA in 12. I guess their 20th album won't come out til 2017? Let's hope they're alive and kicking still!). Who do they think they are, Tool?

At least we got the single last year, so I am happy about that, but it only whet my appetite more for the new album. I guess we're lucky that 2011 is going to be filled with a HUGE amount of great music so, at least for me, I'll be kept busy until the new Rush album is released.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #576 on: January 11, 2011, 10:23:26 AM »
 :( Such a long wait. I'm gonna try avoiding listening to Caravan/BU2B before the album's release. But 2012... damn.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #577 on: January 11, 2011, 10:25:07 AM »
Eh, the Tool comparison is completely unfair.  

In Tool's first 17 years, they released four studio albums.  Four.

In Rush's first 17 years, they released 13.

No comparison.

And given Alex's tendency to say stuff that doesn't actually happen ("Jacob's Ladder" on last year's tour, damn it!), I usually have a hard time buying anything he says anymore when it comes to the band's time table, songs they will play, future plans, etc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #578 on: January 11, 2011, 10:46:38 AM »
Eh, the Tool comparison is completely unfair.  

In Tool's first 17 years, they released four studio albums.  Four.

In Rush's first 17 years, they released 13.

No comparison.

And given Alex's tendency to say stuff that doesn't actually happen ("Jacob's Ladder" on last year's tour, damn it!), I usually have a hard time buying anything he says anymore when it comes to the band's time table, songs they will play, future plans, etc.

I wasn't comparing Rush THEN to Tool NOW, I was comparing Rush NOW to Tool (overall), since in a decade (2002-2012), they'll have released only 3 studio albums. Tool, whose last three albums, followed a similar pattern (1996-2006, three albums, each five years apart).

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #579 on: January 11, 2011, 10:50:46 AM »
It's still a bizarre comparison, since Rush is nearing the end of their career (and all are in their late 50s), while Tool has had these long breaks during their younger days, which is strange since almost all bands are at their most prolific from a quantity standpoint early in their career.  The fact that Rush is even still together and writing new music is pretty amazing, so I think comparing them in this way to a band that has always taken forever to write and release new music just doesn't make sense.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #580 on: January 11, 2011, 10:55:22 AM »
It's still a bizarre comparison, since Rush is nearing the end of their career (and all are in their late 50s), while Tool has had these long breaks during their younger days, which is strange since almost all bands are at their most prolific from a quantity standpoint early in their career.  The fact that Rush is even still together and writing new music is pretty amazing, so I think comparing them in this way to a band that has always taken forever to write and release new music just doesn't make sense.

Yeah, I was just being silly and noting the years-apart similarity. Also, I noticed Alex used the phrase "in earnest", a phrase I've seen used on a couple Tool newsletters to describe their studio work time.

Either way, you're right about Tool taking forever, but Rush is at the end of their career, so I can understand taking longer between albums, but the fact is they've chosen to tour a LOT more than usual. Had there been no Time Machine Tour, we could probably have the new album out by this spring, and not a year later, but I'm glad fans across the pond can get to experience the Time Machine Tour.

I guess we can all take Clockwork Angels off our "Music In 2011" lists...

-Marc.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #581 on: January 11, 2011, 11:08:42 AM »
Looks like they're working the 5-year mark (VT in 02, S&A in 07, and now CA in 12.

Damn, I didn't realize it'd been that long!

But quality over quantity, I guess.  Delays build anticipation.  Absence makes the heart grow fonder.  Et cetera.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #582 on: January 11, 2011, 12:00:03 PM »
Compared to Peter Gabriel this wait is nothing.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #583 on: January 11, 2011, 12:03:57 PM »
I got time..I will wait. Rush is worth any wait
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #584 on: January 15, 2011, 10:05:31 PM »
I've come to the conclusion that the 4 albums of the synth era (Signals thru Hold Your Fire) are easily the band's high point. As much as I love everything before them, nothing beats the synth albums.

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #585 on: January 15, 2011, 10:27:47 PM »
Hold Your Fire is awful but the rest are great albums. I still think the 70's era is the best though.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #586 on: January 15, 2011, 11:04:33 PM »
I've come to the conclusion that the 4 albums of the synth era (Signals thru Hold Your Fire) are easily the band's high point. As much as I love everything before them, nothing beats the synth albums.

I love watching them play the synth stuff live.  It's almost like they're pushing to see how much music three guys can make.  It's great watching Geddy play the keys, then grab the bass and jump away for a while, then come back.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #587 on: January 15, 2011, 11:07:49 PM »
The album will definitely be out this year.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline DarkEternalNight

• GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #588 on: January 15, 2011, 11:14:03 PM »
Why do you think this?

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #589 on: January 15, 2011, 11:18:12 PM »
Because he knows Geddy personally.

Offline DarkEternalNight

• GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #590 on: January 15, 2011, 11:56:09 PM »
Hope so.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #591 on: January 16, 2011, 12:40:45 AM »
Love all the era's of Rush, but the debut until Grace Under Pressure are, in my opinion, is the best of the best.  I love the sounds of Signals and Grace Under Pressure.  Some reviews are negative, but I really enjoy those two cd's

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #592 on: January 16, 2011, 05:30:20 AM »
The album will definitely be out this year.

Gracias mi amigo!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #593 on: January 16, 2011, 06:08:14 AM »
Love all the era's of Rush, but the debut until Grace Under Pressure are, in my opinion, is the best of the best.  I love the sounds of Signals and Grace Under Pressure.  Some reviews are negative, but I really enjoy those two cd's
Grace Under Pressure is light years a better album then the debut, imo.
:tick2:
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #594 on: January 16, 2011, 09:01:50 AM »
Anybody know of a good Rush biography to recommend?