Author Topic: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels  (Read 506305 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels
« Reply #175 on: October 10, 2010, 11:09:25 PM »
Signals takes a step back in the overall sound and mixing.  They wanted to bring the keys up and the guitars back a bit, but both end up sounding too muffled at times.  I think it sounds good overall nevertheless - the bottom end sounds tremendous, for example - but it could have sounded better.  Notice how much better both the guitars and keys sound on Grace Under Pressure, which is stylistically pretty similar.

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #176 on: October 10, 2010, 11:12:22 PM »
Awesome! My list would include AFTK and La Villa though.
I was thinking the same thing, but I think I read somewhere they tried to bring out AFTK for the S&A tour, but they felt it didn't sound very good tuned down a half or whole step for Geddy.  DEN, that setlist is pretty awesome, but for realism's sake, Anthem should be taken out.

Yes, but dream setlists aren't supposed to be realistic.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: October 11, 2010, 01:35:22 AM »
Okay, so I've been listening to Rush now almost constantly for about two weeks (I'm a new fan, better late than never).

So far I've come to these conclusions:

- I'm focusing on their 80s stuff first, I think it's an "easier" way in to their material. Then I can ease my way into their 70s prog stuff. Right/wrong?
- After hearing so much praise over Moving Pictures I can only agree; it's a hell of an album, and my favourite so far. Only Witch Hunt and Vital Signs are yet to click for me.
- Signals, Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows gets a lot of spins too. Not so much their later albums yet, aside from Counterparts.
- I thought I would have a hard time with their 80s synth sound (I'm pretty allergic to that sound in general), but I've gotten kind of used to it by now.
- Songs that I've listened to the most so far are: Marathon, The Camera Eye, Limelight, Red Barchetta, Afterimage, Leave That Thing Alone, and recently Xanadu.
- I've watched 'Exit... Stage Left', 'A Show Of Hands', 'Snakes & Arrows Live', and 'Beyond The Lighted Stage', they are truly a great live band. And funny guys  ;D

Now to continue on my journey  :P
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #178 on: October 11, 2010, 06:41:41 AM »
Okay, so I've been listening to Rush now almost constantly for about two weeks (I'm a new fan, better late than never).

So far I've come to these conclusions:

- I'm focusing on their 80s stuff first, I think it's an "easier" way in to their material. Then I can ease my way into their 70s prog stuff. Right/wrong?
- After hearing so much praise over Moving Pictures I can only agree; it's a hell of an album, and my favourite so far. Only Witch Hunt and Vital Signs are yet to click for me.
- Signals, Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows gets a lot of spins too. Not so much their later albums yet, aside from Counterparts.
- I thought I would have a hard time with their 80s synth sound (I'm pretty allergic to that sound in general), but I've gotten kind of used to it by now.
- Songs that I've listened to the most so far are: Marathon, The Camera Eye, Limelight, Red Barchetta, Afterimage, Leave That Thing Alone, and recently Xanadu.
- I've watched 'Exit... Stage Left', 'A Show Of Hands', 'Snakes & Arrows Live', and 'Beyond The Lighted Stage', they are truly a great live band. And funny guys  ;D

Now to continue on my journey  :P

I loved reading this Zy!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #179 on: October 11, 2010, 08:07:48 AM »
I tried to listen to Exit... Stage Left again yesterday, and couldn't do it.  Oh, the setlist is fine, the performances are fine; it's the sound.  Something weird about the mix or production or something.  It sounds all flat on top, but turning up the treble doesn't help.  It's a live album but even though you can hear the audience, it still doesn't sound "live".  It's hard to describe.

I remember getting that one on vinyl when it was first released, and I didn't like the sound then, either.  I looked in the liner notes and it said that this was their first-ever digitally recorded, digitally produced album (or something similar - it's been a long time).  I thought Okay, so apparently digital production sucks.   Honestly, I don't know if I've heard anything since then to change my mind.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #180 on: October 11, 2010, 09:55:04 AM »
AFTK has more filler than S&A, I feel. Apart from Xanadu and Cygnus, nothing really wowed me

I listened through Signals today and I have to say that Chemistry is growing more on me. An overlooked track for sure
It you lived it when it happened you might feel different. I don't dislike Snakes. Maybe calling half the album filler was a little harsh. Its just got a few forgettable tracks for me personally.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #181 on: October 11, 2010, 12:21:30 PM »
Zydar, that is great to hear!  Hope your journey continues to go well. :hat

Orbert, I know what you mean in regards to ESL.  Given the set list, it should easily be my favorite Rush live record, but, yeah, it just sounds kind of flat at times. 

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #182 on: October 11, 2010, 01:30:01 PM »
https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=147501&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blabbermouth+%28Blabbermouth.net%27s+Daily+Headlines%29

A new video interview with bassist/vocalist Geddy Lee of the Canadian rock trio RUSH conducted by Brazil's TV UOL can be viewed below. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow.

On the next RUSH studio album:

Geddy: "The new album is still in production. We've recorded two songs so far, one of them called 'Caravan' and the other one called 'Brought Up To Believe' ['BU2B']. That's the beginning two songs of a whole kind of a concept album called 'Clockwork Angels'. We have about four other songs... five songs written, but not recorded yet. And we still have a couple of more songs that we want to write and then put the whole thing together. So I don't think the album will be ready for about a year."

On whether there will be a new DVD/CD documenting the current tour:

Geddy: "We record every night. We don't film every night but we have lots of cameras around. So invariably by the time this [tour] is finished we'll put together some sort of live representation of it. But what form that will take I'm not sure yet."

On the recent award-winning film "Rush: Beyond The Lighted Stage":

Geddy: "It's a weird experience to watch that for me. First of all, I don't like to watch myself talking about myself; it's strange [and] not normal. But I was very complimented to hear the nice things that the other musicians had to say. And I was very relieved that the people that made the film had a good sense of humor, and that the sense of humor that we have in the band came through in that film. So that made me happy. And so although it's not my favorite thing to do — to watch a movie about us — I'm glad that so many people seem to enjoy it."
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #183 on: October 11, 2010, 04:04:18 PM »
CONCEPT ALBUM

:caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine:

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: October 11, 2010, 04:08:18 PM »
Boner.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #185 on: October 11, 2010, 04:09:03 PM »
Not to randomly change topics, but what do you guys think of Lifeson and Lee's respective solo albums, Victor and My Favorite Headache?

Personally, neither are great, but both are good.  I don't listen to either nearly as much as I do most Rush albums, but both still have select tracks I dig a lot.  "At the End" and "Strip and Go Naked" are both great songs from the Lifeson album, and most of the songs on Geddy's record are good, with my favorites probably being "Present Tense" and "Slipping."

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: October 11, 2010, 04:11:47 PM »
I only have My Favorite Headache.  Its all right.  Nothing that stands out about it, but nothing that makes me vomit either.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: October 11, 2010, 04:11:55 PM »
Wait, wait, wait.

Hold up.

Alex has a solo album?
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: October 11, 2010, 04:14:40 PM »
I like Geddy's better but Alex gets a big thumbs up for trying something very different than the classic Rush sound.

My faves on Victor are Start Today & Shut Up, Shutin' Up(Very Zappa like)

On MFH they are Slipping & Still.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: October 11, 2010, 04:15:27 PM »

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: October 11, 2010, 04:19:49 PM »
I like Geddy's album, but Victor was all sorts of :-\ to me...

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #191 on: October 11, 2010, 05:13:28 PM »
I only have My Favorite Headache.  Its all right.  Nothing that stands out about it, but nothing that makes me vomit either.
I love Geds solo effort, and I love the fact it doesn't resemble a Rush album at all. That's what makes it extra cool for me, and I love the songs.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #192 on: October 11, 2010, 06:38:39 PM »
I enjoy both and prefer Geds. I have to say that when Snakes came out it reminded me more of My Favorite Headache than any Rush album, and it still does.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #193 on: October 11, 2010, 06:42:25 PM »
Victor was all kinds of wat.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #194 on: October 11, 2010, 10:58:10 PM »
Yeah, Victor is pretty out there.  I'm not sure what I was expecting from an Alex solo album, but this wasn't it.  I played it a few times, don't feel the need to revisit it.

I still haven't checked out My Favorite Headache.  One of these days, I'm sure.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: October 12, 2010, 12:12:15 AM »

I must say thanks to you for your Top 50 list you compiled a while ago, it has given me some info about quite a few songs. Although it was mostly personal opinions about them and not facts, they have nonetheless been a guide of some sorts. It's exactly what I want from these kinds of lists, especially if you're new to a band.

It has helped me on my way :tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #196 on: October 12, 2010, 08:50:31 AM »
My favorite song from Victor is "Promise."  Some of the other tracks are good too, but some are just plain strange.

I like the title track on MFH the most. 

I have to say that when Snakes came out it reminded me more of My Favorite Headache than any Rush album, and it still does.
Never thought about it until you mentioned it, but I can definitely hear it now.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #197 on: October 12, 2010, 12:44:50 PM »

I must say thanks to you for your Top 50 list you compiled a while ago, it has given me some info about quite a few songs. Although it was mostly personal opinions about them and not facts, they have nonetheless been a guide of some sorts. It's exactly what I want from these kinds of lists, especially if you're new to a band.

It has helped me on my way :tup

That is very nice to hear.  That is one of the main reasons why I started the top 50 thread in the first place, to try and get various bands new fans. :)

I like Geddy's better but Alex gets a big thumbs up for trying something very different than the classic Rush sound.

Yep, Alex's solo album definitely veers quite a bit from the Rush sound, unlike Geddy's, which sounds a lot like a Rush record more often than not, at least in the songwriting and melodies.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #198 on: October 12, 2010, 01:02:07 PM »
I enjoy both and prefer Geds. I have to say that when Snakes came out it reminded me more of My Favorite Headache than any Rush album, and it still does.
Faithless definitely has the sound of MFH.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #199 on: October 14, 2010, 05:09:56 PM »
TSN has been using "Caravan" to promote the new NHL season  :metal
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Bigleaf

« Reply #200 on: October 15, 2010, 12:57:51 PM »
TSN has been using "Caravan" to promote the new NHL season  :metal

Here is the video.  I suggest watching it in full-screen HD 720p and cranking up the volume.  Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ih9mmiHVpM

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #201 on: October 15, 2010, 01:14:33 PM »
That's pretty sweet.  I love how they tied the "I can't stop thinking big" line in with the theme of the promo and what they players were saying.  Very cool. :hat

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #202 on: October 15, 2010, 08:25:51 PM »
I tried to listen to Exit... Stage Left again yesterday, and couldn't do it.  Oh, the setlist is fine, the performances are fine; it's the sound.  Something weird about the mix or production or something.  It sounds all flat on top, but turning up the treble doesn't help.  It's a live album but even though you can hear the audience, it still doesn't sound "live".  It's hard to describe.

I remember getting that one on vinyl when it was first released, and I didn't like the sound then, either.  I looked in the liner notes and it said that this was their first-ever digitally recorded, digitally produced album (or something similar - it's been a long time).  I thought Okay, so apparently digital production sucks.   Honestly, I don't know if I've heard anything since then to change my mind.

Geddy has admitted in the past over the years that the "liveness" was drained out of it.

Here's a quote from 2004 (Contents Under Pressure)

There is a lot of meddling with the tapes and trying to make sure we had the best performances. We alsomade a conscious effort to pull down the audience a bit and emphasize the music. In the end, I think were recorded a fairly sterile live record."

RE: My Favorite Headache/Victor

I love both but for different reasons.

Certainly Geddy's is more accessible, but I love the way Victor comes across too.
Although I'm not a fan of Edwin, I do understand the role he played and he does help bring it all together. I just adore Alex's guitar work on this record. He could have flipped the gunslinger switch and everyone probably would have been happy, but I think it shows how amazing a guitar player he is.

After Geddy's album came out, I was really hoping for a short "evening with Alex and Geddy revue tour" where we'd get to hear songs from each album and maybe some acoustic stuff. Pretty wild imagination I have.

I'd love to hear what Victor II might sound like.

That Caravan/TSN thing was cool. Ties together two loves of mine and that is never a bad thing.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #203 on: October 15, 2010, 11:02:16 PM »
Okay, so I wasn't imagining things.  I really want to like ESL -- I want to love it, but... it won't hug back.  It's kinda the opposite of All the World's a Stage, which is so raw and full of energy.  They tried to pull back on that for this one, and went a little too far.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #204 on: October 16, 2010, 02:26:10 PM »
For the first time, I am truly disgusted with the Rush fan in general. Not you guys, the people are the Rush boards. I am tired of defending these elitist snobs!
One guy starts a thread about how much he hates DT based on the first thing he finally heard from them. Are you ready... A fucking youtube clip of them playing a Rush cover! He then goes on to say he now understands why people don't like them, cause it sucked so bad! He hated the singer, blah blah, blah.
I personally don't like James singing Rush either but what a fool this dude is.

This jackass has never heard one single Dream Theater song yet he now knows why they suck! What a complete dick! I can't take it. :facepalm:

Ok, I need to take a deep breath. >:(

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: October 16, 2010, 02:37:54 PM »
And that's why I don't frequent any Rush forums.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #206 on: October 16, 2010, 02:43:47 PM »
And that's why I don't frequent any Rush forums.
and I finally get it!

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: October 16, 2010, 02:44:45 PM »
For the first time, I am truly disgusted with the Rush fan in general. Not you guys, the people are the Rush boards. I am tired of defending these elitist snobs!
One guy starts a thread about how much he hates DT based on the first thing he finally heard from them. Are you ready... A fucking youtube clip of them playing a Rush cover! He then goes on to say he now understands why people don't like them, cause it sucked so bad! He hated the singer, blah blah, blah.

This jackass has never heard one single Dream Theater song yet he now knows why they suck! What a complete dick! I can't take it. :facepalm:

was this recent? because I swear I saw a thread like that on therushforum like, 8 months ago. unless this is a normal occurrence with TRF...

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #208 on: October 16, 2010, 02:53:06 PM »

was this recent? because I swear I saw a thread like that on therushforum like, 8 months ago. unless this is a normal occurrence with TRF...
No, it was a couple days ago. This thread made me disgusted.
https://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=60598

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #209 on: October 16, 2010, 03:01:32 PM »

tick, I read the thread and admire the way you defended DT.  Props to you.    :hat
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa