Author Topic: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels  (Read 506255 times)

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels
« Reply #105 on: September 20, 2010, 06:17:21 PM »
Wait, ScioPath, you'll be at the Atlanta show?  Dude!  Did you get lawn seats too?

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #106 on: September 20, 2010, 06:51:52 PM »
Wait, ScioPath, you'll be at the Atlanta show?  Dude!  Did you get lawn seats too?
Yea.
Maybe we could connect somehow.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: September 20, 2010, 06:52:16 PM »
Yea.
:eyebrows:
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #108 on: September 20, 2010, 07:08:27 PM »
Yea.
:eyebrows:
:|

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #109 on: September 20, 2010, 07:13:13 PM »
Reminder, if you are going to say anything about the setlist do it in the tour thread.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #110 on: September 20, 2010, 07:16:24 PM »
Yeah, sorry. Just super pumped right now. This will be my first time seeing Rush live.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #111 on: September 20, 2010, 07:39:16 PM »
Well, if the album is as good as Caravan and BU2B, then... :metal

This.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #112 on: September 20, 2010, 09:07:03 PM »
Reminder, if you are going to say anything about the setlist do it in the tour thread.

Nice avatar.  I use the same one on another forum  :biggrin:
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #113 on: September 21, 2010, 02:39:29 PM »
Last time I saw Rush was in MD.  The Capital Center in Landover, where the Washington Capitals play.  I think it's been renamed for some corporation (since all sports venues are nowadays) but I don't remember what.  It'll always be the Cap Center to me.

Counterparts tour.  Awesome, of course.

Geddy had a cold that night. It's painful at times to hear him trying to get through that show. He tried to make up for it in his bass playing though.

I need to go back and listen to this show one of these days. I don't really listen to this one all that much because it saddens me to hear Geddy gut this one out.

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #114 on: September 21, 2010, 04:20:02 PM »
I didn't notice the cold, he did great like I expected and blew me away with his bass playing. I admit, I laughed my ass off during the high pitched verses in Freewill.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #115 on: September 22, 2010, 11:28:08 AM »
I don't know if anybody saw this but Nelly Furtado covered Time Stands Still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfrXM_gDl9g
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #116 on: September 27, 2010, 09:41:24 PM »
I didn't notice the cold, he did great like I expected and blew me away with his bass playing. I admit, I laughed my ass off during the high pitched verses in Freewill.

Freewill does not appear on the soundboard of that show that I have, but Prelude was is very cringe worthy from a vocal standpoint.

I do have the audience recording from this show was well, but I have no recollection of what it sounds like.

Rush has stepped up their live game so much since 1996, that I don't regularly listen to a large selection of shows from before then.

I need to put Everyday Glory on more Rush compilations.

I've always loved this song, but it's been months since I've listened to it.

It would be awesome if they broke this out live as one of the surprises for next year's tour.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: September 28, 2010, 08:35:16 AM »
Yeah, Everyday Glory is a great song that gets overlooked a lot.

Anyways, HOLY SHIT I GET TO SEE RUSH TOMORROW :caffeine: :caffeine: ::caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine:  :yarr  :metal  :metal  :metal  :metal  :metal  :metal  :yarr

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #118 on: September 28, 2010, 06:47:24 PM »
Yeah, Everyday Glory is a great song that gets overlooked a lot.

Anyways, HOLY SHIT I GET TO SEE RUSH TOMORROW :caffeine: :caffeine: ::caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine:  :yarr  :metal  :metal  :metal  :metal  :metal  :metal  :yarr

:metal :metal :woot: :cozmo2: :gadough: :gadough: :metal :letam: :caffeine: :yeahbaby: :yeahbaby: :yeahbaby: :yeahbaby: :yeahbaby: :metal :caffeine:

24 hours till RUSH!

Offline Pyroph

« Reply #119 on: September 29, 2010, 07:04:38 AM »
CNN is doing an interview with them tomorrow if anyone is interested.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #120 on: September 30, 2010, 08:23:39 AM »
So in that CNN interview now up at rushisaband.com,  when Geddy's name pops up on the screen it said,  Geddy Lee, singer, base player.  Oh CNN you silly news station.  Base. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: September 30, 2010, 08:30:05 AM »
OH

MY

GOD.

SO GOOD.  They are still the best musicians in the world.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 09:04:46 AM by Nick »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #122 on: September 30, 2010, 09:36:37 AM »
So in that CNN interview now up at rushisaband.com,  when Geddy's name pops up on the screen it said,  Geddy Lee, singer, base player.  Oh CNN you silly news station.  Base. :lol

I remember when CNN was good.  Seriously.  I was flipping through channels the other day, and there was CNN in all its HD glory on my TV, and it was fucking infotainment bullshit.  Silly moving graphics all over the screen and hot babe newsreader to distract you from the lack of quality content, sensationalist headlines, opinion and speculation presented as facts... it was genuinely heartbreaking.  I remember when CNN was the shit; now it's just shit.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #123 on: September 30, 2010, 09:41:42 AM »
https://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/gaming.gadgets/09/29/warriors.of.rock.nerds/index.html
(CNN) -- In an otherworldly landscape, with controllers in hand, players must conquer the Beast in order to release a powerful demigod.
No, this isn't "World of Warcraft." It's "Guitar Hero."
And with a playlist steeped in monster riffs and a quest mode that winds through scenes populated with the dungeons and dragons of fantasy lore, it might just expose heavy metal's darkest secret.
"The ultimate trick that musicians played on the world is that they were cool," said Brendon Small, whose band Dethklok (from his Adult Swim cartoon "Metalocalypse") lent the song "Bloodlines" to "Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock."
"They're not cool. They're all nerds. They all love Monty Python, 'Star Wars' and Rush. Everybody from Cannibal Corpse to Metallica, they are all nerds. We are all nerds."
The game, released September 28 and available on PS3, Wii and XBox360, likes Rush, too.
It includes all seven parts of the Canadian progressive rock band's "2112" suite and even weaves the legendary rockers into the fabric of the game.
The members of Rush worked on the "2112" game sequence, helping create in-game venues based on scenes from the liner notes of their original album.
The band gave suggestions for imagery and recorded voice-overs for the scenes, said Brian Bright, "Warriors of Rock" project leader for game creator Neversoft. He said the story of "2112" parallels the story in the game.
"The songs tell the story of a man who discovers a guitar, something he has never been exposed to, as the world he lives in is very Orwellian and controlling," Bright said. "In the game, the player is in search of the Demi-God's legendary guitar as it is the source of his power."

"Metalocalypse" creator Brendon Small writes and records music for the show and tours as a guitarist for Dethklok.
Small acknowledges that including 21 minutes worth of Rush on a game known for mainstream appeal is a nod toward rock's inner nerd.
"Absolutely!" he said. "Without a doubt, yeah! Oh man, but they picked the right Rush. That's certainly my favorite, and it's got amazing guitar moments, too."
It also has what Small calls the nerdiest thing of all in music: odd time signatures, which could mean difficult play in Warriors of Rock.
"When people start counting odd times like 7/4 instead of 4/4, [they're trying to] be different and make a new groove, and that is a nerdy, nerdy thing. But Rush gets away with it because they're good," said Small.
Neversoft worked closely with other artists to create the ultimate metal quest mode. Megadeth's Dave Mustaine -- whom Small considers one of the world's best rhythm guitarists -- wrote and recorded "Sudden Death" for the finale of the game.
"The game ends with an epic battle between the Demi-God of Rock and the Beast raging on an apocalyptic landscape, so we wanted a track that would completely shred," Bright said.
Additionally, Gene Simmons, the "demon" bassist of iconic rock band KISS, is the narrator of the game's quest mode and makes a cameo as the Demi-God of Rock.
Other musicians who metalheads and rock guitar enthusiasts are sure to geek out to include Steve Vai, Slayer, Metallica, Ozzy Osbourne and Anthrax.
Bright said "Warriors of Rock" songs were selected chiefly on their playability.
"A good song for 'Guitar Hero' would have a memorable riff but not feel repetitive. There would be a good amount of chord changes and, ideally, a fun guitar solo to add to the challenge," he said.
But being a good guitar player doesn't necessarily make you a good "Guitar Hero" player.
Mike Keneally, Small's bandmate in the live, touring version of Dethklok, said he thought Dethklok songs were easier to play on an actual guitar. "Bloodlines" is Dethklok's third song on a "Guitar Hero" game.
Small had to disagree with his friend.

"I said, 'Nah, that's not true. There's 11-year-olds out there who can just shred through [Dethklok songs] "Thunderhorse" and "Laser-cannon Death Sentence." ' "
Those 11-year olds who play "Warriors of Rock" are about to discover some of the music that helped build Small's career as a musician and cartoon producer. Small's current cartoon project, "Metalocalypse," follows a fictional metal band, Dethklok, who have become so popular that they influence world economies.
"One of my favorite things about 'Guitar Hero' is you're turning a whole generation on to music that wouldn't, I think, have discovered it any other way," Small said.
"Because in order to know about metal, you've either got to have a cool older sibling or a dude down the street who just knows what's up. Some people don't have either of those things. Some people have a really uncool older sibling who listens to Brittney Spears or some kind of dance or club or trance, and they're never going to learn about cool guitar stuff or Van Halen or any of that stuff.
"But now that they have 'Guitar Hero' in their life, they can learn about Skynyrd. Foghat. Sabbath. Soundgarden."
A sad omission on "Guitar Hero's" part from its sixth offering, said Small, was that of lightening-fast guitarist Yngwie Malmsteen. Malmsteen, a Swedish guitarist, is known for his classical approach to metal music, as well as his fantasy-laden album covers and music videos.
"Yngwie, of course is the king. I love him. That should be on 'Guitar Hero,' because it would just be unplayable," Small said.
"He did [a video] with a wizard, a dragon and him in really high-waisted spandex pants and Sgt. Pepper's jacket flipping his Stratocaster around. Pretty awesome -- what rock 'n' roll is built for."

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #124 on: October 06, 2010, 08:31:04 PM »

I remember when CNN was good.  Seriously.  I was flipping through channels the other day, and there was CNN in all its HD glory on my TV, and it was fucking infotainment bullshit.  Silly moving graphics all over the screen and hot babe newsreader to distract you from the lack of quality content, sensationalist headlines, opinion and speculation presented as facts... it was genuinely heartbreaking.  I remember when CNN was the shit; now it's just shit.

Supposedly CNN International is a little better. Ot at least it was when we had it. When Comcast absorbed Patriot Media, one of the first things they did was remove CNN International.

But yeah, it's pretty tough to find an objective news source these days.

CNN put up the 25 minute unedited interview with Rush which is even better than the one that aired.

Offline DarkEternalNight

• GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #125 on: October 06, 2010, 08:33:00 PM »
Interviewer had some balls to bring up the tragedy.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: October 06, 2010, 09:01:38 PM »

Did he interview all of Rush or just Alex and Geddy?  I remember reading an old classic rock article where the writer said he had to sign a waiver saying he wouldn't ask Neil about the tragedy or Alex about his drunken run-in with the law.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #127 on: October 06, 2010, 09:07:51 PM »

Did he interview all of Rush or just Alex and Geddy?  I remember reading an old classic rock article where the writer said he had to sign a waiver saying he wouldn't ask Neil about the tragedy or Alex about his drunken run-in with the law.

ALL of Rush, Alex, Neil and Geddy (sitting in that order left-to-right). Neil did a bit of uncomfortable shifting and looking away during that part of the interview, but obviously he didn't seem bothered by it, especially enough to let it be recorded and released online. I'm sure he knows it's online, or was told it would be. It has been quite some time, and Neil has been doing a LOT more interviews in the last couple of years, so I think he's more comfortable with them now, and doing press with Alex and Geddy. I'm quite happy Neil's opened up a bit.  :)

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #128 on: October 06, 2010, 09:11:46 PM »

The whole band. The guy who did the interview (and who appeared in the documentary) used to be a VJ on Much Music in the early '80s.

I remember reading about that waiver too.

Maybe because he thought it was covered in the documentary it was fair game?

Offline Bone_Daddy

« Reply #129 on: October 07, 2010, 08:16:28 AM »
https://www.rushisaband.com/display.php?id=2342&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rushisaband%2Fblog+%28Rush+is+a+Band%29

Very good interview. You can only empathize with Neil when the past is brought up time and again.

These guys are true professionals - have a love for life - and are quite humble and thankful for their place in this world of music.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: October 07, 2010, 08:28:24 AM »
Just chiming in to say I'm currently in love with the chorus to Marathon.

Carry on.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: October 07, 2010, 08:35:27 AM »
Just chiming in to say I'm currently in love with the chorus to Marathon.

Carry on.

:heart

Offline DarkEternalNight

• GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #132 on: October 07, 2010, 10:52:31 AM »
A few weeks ago, I was running the final lap of a mile run and the chorus popped in my head. The adrenaline kicked in big time.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #133 on: October 07, 2010, 11:28:02 AM »
"I let my past go too fast no time to pause. If I could slow it all down, like some captain, whose ship runs aground. I can wait until the tide comes around"

Offline DarkEternalNight

• GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #134 on: October 07, 2010, 08:01:46 PM »
I'M NOT LOOOKING BAAACK BUT I WANT TO LOOK AROUNDDDD ME NOWWW.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: October 07, 2010, 08:02:40 PM »
:heart Time Stand Still

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: October 07, 2010, 09:53:13 PM »
Time Stand Still has some of the best lyrics I've ever heard...
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline DarkEternalNight

• GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #137 on: October 08, 2010, 05:30:22 PM »
This doesn't pertain to the TM tour so this should fit here. I felt like making a dream setlist.

1. The Camera Eye
2. Anthem
3. Subdivisions
4. YYZ
5. Caravan
6. Manhattan Project
7. A Passage To Bangkok
8. Witch Hunt
9. Freewill
10. Distant Early Warning
11. Time Stand Still
12. Limelight
*Intermission*
1. The Big Money
2. Tom Sawyer
3. The Pass
4. Circumstances
5. The Spirit Of Radio
6. Marathon
7. The Enemy Within
8. Malignant Narcissism
9. Far Cry
10. Red Barchetta
11. Drum Solo
12. Resist
13. Closer To The Heart
14. 2112 Overture/Temples Of Syrinx
15. La Villa Strangiato
Encore:
1. Natural Science
2. Xanadu

That's roughly around 2.8 hours including the breaks.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 09:42:25 PM by DarkEternalNight »

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #138 on: October 08, 2010, 05:44:36 PM »
Awesome! My list would include AFTK and La Villa though.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: October 08, 2010, 08:27:09 PM »
Awesome! My list would include AFTK and La Villa though.
I was thinking the same thing, but I think I read somewhere they tried to bring out AFTK for the S&A tour, but they felt it didn't sound very good tuned down a half or whole step for Geddy.  DEN, that setlist is pretty awesome, but for realism's sake, Anthem should be taken out.  Replace Anthem and Caravan with La Villa somewhere and its golden.