Author Topic: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels  (Read 507911 times)

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
Re: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels
« Reply #3255 on: July 04, 2012, 10:17:14 PM »
Gave it about 4 listens and I just don't like it. I want my 11.99 back, this album is rubbish for the Rush fanboys.

I have been a Rush fanboy since 1982...and I do not consider it to be rubbish at all...

Well being a fanboy since 1982 might make you a little biased don't you think? The mix and mastering sucks, the songs are uninspiring, and the whole thing just doesn't come together right.

I re-read your previous post 2x, and I think you mean that the new album is rubbish meant to be shoveled at the Rush fanboys because they will purchase anything "Rush", am I interpreting you correctly?

Otherwise, it sounds like you are saying that Rush fanboys will consider CA to be "rubbish".
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 10:40:35 PM by Priest of Syrinx »
It's the Internet.  Everything everybody says, no matter how factual-sounding, is opinion.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3256 on: July 04, 2012, 10:37:14 PM »
That was the way I read it.

But if he meant the opposite I still disagree. I don't automatically love everything Rush does either. Vapor Trails is nearly unlistenable...and Roll the Bones is just a terrible album by any standard imho.

CA otoh is easily Rush's best album since PoW...maybe even PeW.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #3257 on: July 04, 2012, 10:53:14 PM »
I've only heard the first 3 tunes, but I'd say it's good stuff.  I haven't been able to make myself sit through an hours worth of it, but I'm pretty bad at sitting through 50+ min. albums in general. 

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #3258 on: July 04, 2012, 10:54:00 PM »
Like you, I'm a long time Rush fan who has no problem admitting that there are songs & albums which are less than stellar.  Despite it's production flaws, CA is very good.  The guys are bringing it with a consistent intensity I haven't heard in a long time.
It's the Internet.  Everything everybody says, no matter how factual-sounding, is opinion.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3259 on: July 05, 2012, 01:56:22 AM »
Music is subjective and everyone is entitled to their opinion.  But I can't believe any Rush fan not liking CA; it's an amazing album.

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #3260 on: July 05, 2012, 02:38:35 AM »
Knock that fanboy shit off.  Just because you have been a fan for a long time doesn't make you a fanboy, especially in the condescending way you are putting it.  Believe it or not, most Rush fans are not sheep who will lap up any and everything the band puts out.  So, get real.
The album sucks, period. Only a fanboy would think this garbage is good. Sure it has its moments but from the mixing to the overall songs the thing just sucks. Can't even hear Peart's snare, and the bass is way up front.

I'll rephrase what I said earlier. This album is only for Rush fans. I'm not a fan past their 80's stuff and I hoped this album would make me a believer considering the hype, but so far after at least 4 listens, it hasn't grown into me. No way I'm gonna force myself to like this. If I don't like it by now, I'm never going to like it.

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #3261 on: July 05, 2012, 02:40:47 AM »
Gave it about 4 listens and I just don't like it. I want my 11.99 back, this album is rubbish for the Rush fanboys.

I have been a Rush fanboy since 1982...and I do not consider it to be rubbish at all...

Well being a fanboy since 1982 might make you a little biased don't you think? The mix and mastering sucks, the songs are uninspiring, and the whole thing just doesn't come together right.

I re-read your previous post 2x, and I think you mean that the new album is rubbish meant to be shoveled at the Rush fanboys because they will purchase anything "Rush", am I interpreting you correctly?

Otherwise, it sounds like you are saying that Rush fanboys will consider CA to be "rubbish".

Haha I meant its only for the Rush fans. Sorry I was a bit under the influence (happy 4th of July) when I wrote that.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #3262 on: July 05, 2012, 02:42:31 AM »
Knock that fanboy shit off.  Just because you have been a fan for a long time doesn't make you a fanboy, especially in the condescending way you are putting it.  Believe it or not, most Rush fans are not sheep who will lap up any and everything the band puts out.  So, get real.
The album sucks, period. Only a fanboy would think this garbage is good. Sure it has its moments but from the mixing to the overall songs the thing just sucks. Can't even hear Peart's snare, and the bass is way up front.

I'll rephrase what I said earlier. This album is only for Rush fans. I'm not a fan past their 80's stuff and I hoped this album would make me a believer considering the hype, but so far after at least 4 listens, it hasn't grown into me. No way I'm gonna force myself to like this. If I don't like it by now, I'm never going to like it.
"SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS"
This is the first Rush release I've picked up in a long while, as I haven't enjoyed their last few, and I can say it definitely does not suck as you really really really seem to think.  I MUST BE A FANSHEEPOWLBOY WHO BLINDLY FOLLOWS THIS BAND.
If you don't like it fine, but don't proclaim your opinions as a fact, it puts you across as a jerk  :loser:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3263 on: July 05, 2012, 06:03:08 AM »
1neeto,  when you post on a thread of a certain band and bash the hell out of them and on an album the is getting great reviews all over, people are going to jump all over you.  fan boys like me and others.

I will be the first to tell you the production should be better but the songs are thier best since Counterparts.  To come on and post like you did is dickish.  All you have to say is, I don't think I like it because of the production and you'll get no fight out of anybody.

Does anyboody else think Rush is going this route because they want to have close to a live sounding album as possible?  I've wondered why they would sacrifice some of the separation knowing it's too hot?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #3264 on: July 05, 2012, 06:03:51 AM »
The album sucks, perio$. Only a fanboy would think this garbage is good. Sure it has its moments but from the mixing to the overall songs the thing just sucks. Can't even hear Peart's snare, and the bass is way up front.

Funny, the more pronounced bass is one of my favorite things about this album.  Reminiscent of AFTK or Moving Pictures.  Geddy is really shredding it.  He's an awesome bass player.  I do wish the drums were a little more up in the mix though.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #3265 on: July 05, 2012, 06:49:50 AM »
im not crazy about it, but it certainly doesnt suck

also geddy's bass lines may be the best part

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #3266 on: July 05, 2012, 10:10:07 AM »

Like many older bands, Rush is at a stage in their career where the music is targeted mainly at their current fanbase.  CA will sell as well or better than their previous releases, and they will sell out their concerts.

Reviews - from listeners & music review sites - have been very largely positive. 

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #3267 on: July 05, 2012, 10:12:13 AM »
WRT to "bass" on CA... I think Geddy's bass is properly at the forefront.  But the bass (lower frequencies) on the album are over-boosted, IMO.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3268 on: July 05, 2012, 10:15:12 AM »

You are a silly person, and quite an arrogant one at that as well. 

Here, I'll play your game: This album rules, period.  End of story.  Choke on it.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #3269 on: July 05, 2012, 10:16:43 AM »
It definitely doesn't suck, but I don't think CA is that great either. About middle-tier for me. After many listens, I would say Headlong Flight is my favorite followed by BU2B.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3270 on: July 05, 2012, 10:18:59 AM »
I would agree that it is a middle tier Rush album (definitely in the 8-12 range for me*), but a middle tier Rush album is still pretty great. 

*It doesn't break my top 7 of The Big 5 plus Power Windows and Counterparts, but it is in the 8-12 range along with Signals, Grace Under Pressure, Roll the Bones and either Caress of Steel or Hold Your Fire.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3271 on: July 05, 2012, 10:19:13 AM »
theneedledrop reviewed Clockwork Angels. Which is a surprise, because I didn't think he liked Rush.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHhdSJLmdu8
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #3272 on: July 05, 2012, 10:29:06 AM »

Here, I'll play your game: This album rules, period.  End of story.  Choke on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wippooDL6WE

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #3273 on: July 05, 2012, 12:09:55 PM »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3274 on: July 05, 2012, 12:49:25 PM »
 :hat

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3275 on: July 05, 2012, 02:14:52 PM »
theneedledrop reviewed Clockwork Angels. Which is a surprise, because I didn't think he liked Rush.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHhdSJLmdu8
Oh my God, this just came out and I just listened to the album for the first time. I have to see this, the guy puts out some great reviews.

EDIT: Ouch. I expected such a grade.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 02:28:38 PM by Mladen »

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #3276 on: July 05, 2012, 03:11:50 PM »

Voicing my opinion makes me arrogant? I think the album sucks and if anything I'm not the one choking here. I must agree that the basslines are good and just about the only thing that sounds Rush. But IMO the production is terrible, the songs are "meh" and the album sounds very dated and irrelevant.

Sorry I disrupted the circle jerk with my negative opinion, but Rush is a band I respect a lot and it highly disappointed me this time.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3277 on: July 05, 2012, 03:13:23 PM »
You are in a vast minority.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3278 on: July 05, 2012, 03:35:21 PM »

Voicing my opinion makes me arrogant?

No, the way you are voicing it does, saying, "This album sucks, period."  Anyone who thinks their opinion is fact to the point where they have to stamp it with "period" at the end is arrogant.  It is one of the more annoying internet trends of the last decade plus.  If you don't like Clockwork Angels, that is just swell, but referring to this thread as a circle jerk also shows how silly you are acting, considering quite a few of us have expressed our varying disappointment over the sound/mixing of the record.

Offline TL

« Reply #3279 on: July 05, 2012, 03:44:38 PM »
Sorry I disrupted the circle jerk with my negative opinion, but Rush is a band I respect a lot and it highly disappointed me this time.
It's not that you didn't like the album, it's that the way you expressed your opinion makes you sound like an ass.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3280 on: July 05, 2012, 04:11:33 PM »
Let's see....Low post count....antagonistic to a loyal fan base....

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #3281 on: July 05, 2012, 06:10:42 PM »

Voicing my opinion makes me arrogant? I think the album sucks and if anything I'm not the one choking here. I must agree that the basslines are good and just about the only thing that sounds Rush. But IMO the production is terrible, the songs are "meh" and the album sounds very dated and irrelevant.

It is fine that you don't like the album. Using your "fan since x" doesn't make your opinion anymore valid though, and instead makes you sound a bit arrogant. Especially when you say it "sucks period" and anyone that likes this "garbage" is a "fanboy". Pretty much insinuating that your opinion is the only right one. And personally I agree the production is terrible, but to say that the album is shit is pretty far off base imo.I think there is a lot of great material there, but I still haven't fully come to realize a lot of it because of the horrid production.

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #3282 on: July 05, 2012, 07:16:27 PM »
Let's see....Low post count....antagonistic to a loyal fan base....

Sure because I don't live here and have a gazzillion posts then I guess I must be a troll. :roll:

The reason why I came up so harsh is because I dislike te record so much that quite simply I don't get it how so many think it's great. And I'm not alone in this opinion, this record is being discussed in other forums and many agree with me. So being called as being in the vast minority can be inaccurate. I obviously am the minority in this forum, but this thread is not the be all end all of the CA album.

Btw gave it another listen on the way to work, some songs like wrecked are stating to grow into me, but not much else. If anything I think the second half of the album is a bit stronger than the first half.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3283 on: July 05, 2012, 07:19:22 PM »
hmmm..."wrecked" huh.   Do tell.

Obviously your credibility is above reproach.    :loser:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3284 on: July 05, 2012, 07:45:53 PM »
That's funny since it's getting great reviews and all the sites I go to are mostly positive.

Here is the critic's score so far.  Like I said.  You're in the minority.

https://www.metacritic.com/music/clockwork-angels/critic-reviews

Also LOL on The Wreckers.  Dude, looking dumber by the minute.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3285 on: July 05, 2012, 08:25:00 PM »
Just read someone's theory, on a review of Roll The Bones, that "Rush are at their best in the studio when the album title ends in an ‘S’."

:rollin

Is that true, though? Would you guys be inclined to agree that...
A Farewell To Kings
Hemispheres
Permanent Waves
Moving Pictures
Signals
Power Windows
Roll The Bones
Counterparts
Vapor Trails
Snakes & Arrows
Clockwork Angels

Are better works than...
Rush
Fly By Night
Caress Of Steel
Grace Under Pressure
Hold Your Fire
Presto
Test For Echo

Granted, it's 11 albums to 8 (9 if you want to include Feedback), so the "Ends with -s" side already weighs a bit more... I would have to agree, though. The last 3 albums on the "non-s" list are in my middle-of-the-pack group of Rush albums, and some fans rarely listen to the first three albums, leaving only 2112 and the bleak masterpiece of Grace Under Pressure as the only often-listened albums in the second list.

In the first list though, the first 5 is one of the best 5-album-runs of all time, by anyone or any band ever, and toss in great albums like POW and CP, you've got some of the band's best. VT, S&A and CA are pretty great as well, leaving only RTB at the bottom of my list in the "Ends with -s" list. It's funny how that one observation really makes you think about their discography more in a different way.

It also makes me realize how much they like plural album titles.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #3286 on: July 05, 2012, 09:33:29 PM »
Yes I lose credibility ecause your opinion is right and my opinion is wrong. So what if I think the thing sucks and I enjoy wrecked or wrecker is whatever it's named. Had enough time in the Rush elitist high horse yet?
https://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=75396

Typical. Op comes with a strong negative opinion and the fanboys get all over his case because he must be a troll for not liking such a masterpiece.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1092424

Mostly fans that like it, but there's quite a few that are as disappointed as I am. Some people like The Wrecker. What is this... I'm not even... :rolleyes:

Many agree that besides the bad production, this album is a "grower", that it takes several listens in order to "get" it. IMO if an album doesn't seem good by the third listen, then by the fourth or fifth listen you're forcing yourself to like it.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3287 on: July 05, 2012, 10:13:28 PM »
For fuck's sake, do you not know how to read?  Everybody has been saying the same thing, and you still don't get it.

Your opinion is not that different from many others.  It's the way you present it.  You're not just presenting a strong negative opinion; you're presenting it arrogantly, stating opinions as though they were facts, and literally ignoring anyone who tells you so (which is pretty much everyone).

You fucking whine "Oh, I have a negative opinion so everyone's jumping on my case!"  No.  People are jumping on your case because you're acting like an asshole.  If you took the time to actually read what's being said here, you'd know that.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3288 on: July 05, 2012, 10:38:44 PM »
People need to chill out now. Neeto, you're initial posts were not well received for a reason, but frankly some of the comments back have been out of line and needs to stop.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3289 on: July 05, 2012, 10:44:44 PM »
IMO if an album doesn't seem good by the third listen, then by the fourth or fifth listen you're forcing yourself to like it.

I hated almost all of Ride the Lightning for the first 4 months I owned it.   Only Creeping Death kept me coming back. 

hmmm....must have been a really bad album after all.     I see the light now.   Thank you.   You've helped me to see that after 20 some odd listens, I was only forcing myself to like what is obviously a worthless pile of dung, and not (in fact) one of the greatest metal masterpieces of all time. 

I don't know what I would have done without your enlightenment.   I am forever in your debt.   I'm off to cast to the flames at least 60% of the greatest albums I've ever heard in my life...because I've obviously been fooling myself all this time. 

:hefdaddy