Author Topic: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels  (Read 508333 times)

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels
« Reply #3220 on: June 29, 2012, 07:57:11 AM »
https://thequietus.com/articles/09210-rush-geddy-lee-interview-favourite-albums?page=1

Geddy Lee lists his favorite albums.  There were some that I wouldn't have thought he'd mention.  Cool read.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #3221 on: June 29, 2012, 08:05:45 AM »
Ew Radiohead

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3222 on: June 29, 2012, 09:32:46 AM »
Great list.  I loved seeing the Radiohead and Fleet Foxes records in there! :coolio

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3223 on: June 29, 2012, 10:48:50 AM »
Great list.  I loved seeing the Radiohead and Fleet Foxes records in there! :coolio

I knew you'd love the Fleet Foxes pick.  I haven't listened to that album in a while.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3224 on: June 29, 2012, 12:09:53 PM »
I like the second Fleet Foxes CD better, but the first one is aces, too.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3225 on: June 29, 2012, 12:13:13 PM »
Neat that he picked The Yes Album. When comparing Rush to Yes I think that album is where I would have guessed any influence comes from.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #3226 on: June 29, 2012, 12:45:47 PM »
I was really surprised that Björk appeared on that list, tbh. If someone would have asked me what Geddy Lee listens to, then Björk would have most definitely not been on that list.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3227 on: June 29, 2012, 12:50:12 PM »
As with many if not most great artists, he has wide-ranging tastes and influences.  Björk is pretty wacky, but there's no question that she's very talented, and I know a lot of people really like her work.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #3228 on: June 29, 2012, 12:57:26 PM »
Oh, I was in no way downplaying her talent - she's got that in spades. I was just expressing my surprise over Geddy listing her.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3229 on: June 29, 2012, 01:03:35 PM »
I like surprises like that in lists, because sometimes it inspires me to check them out.  Not often, because I'm really lazy, but sometimes.

Okay seriously -- even though I was being serious before -- I just meant that if I'd never heard of Björk but totally idolized Geddy, I may say "Wow, I need to check out this Björk if Geddy really likes her".  That kind of thing.  Recently, Yes showed up on JP's list and Geddy's list.  Right now, I imagine there are people out there who've heard of Yes but never really dug into them doing just that because hey, if both JP and Geddy think they're awesome, there's probably something to it.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3230 on: June 30, 2012, 11:01:48 PM »
Geddy's been a Björk fan for at least 15 years now. Im surprised he didn't mention Patsy Cline actually.

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3232 on: July 02, 2012, 04:49:09 PM »

There is a real controversy surrounding the band’s 2002 album “Vapor Trails” inasmuch as it’s one of those albums that seems to have been mastered “loud.”  What are your thoughts on that album now, and would you approach it differently were you to re-master it?

That album for what it was … is what it was.  You can’t really judge it.  It was what they all came up with at that time.  Had it been different, who knows, it may not have been as good.

ummmm....   :facepalm:

What the crap does this even mean?   The only way to interpret this is that he gave the PC answer, not wanting to piss off whoever else was involved in that train wreck. 

Though I think the "..." was very telling.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3233 on: July 02, 2012, 05:03:47 PM »
It's not even an answer.  It's just some shit he pulled out of his ass instead of actually answering the question.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3234 on: July 02, 2012, 07:21:49 PM »

What the crap does this even mean?   The only way to interpret this is that he gave the PC answer, not wanting to piss off whoever else was involved in that train wreck. 

Though I think the "..." was very telling.

that's my take.  It may be a fairly tight community and he has to see the other folks on a regular basis.  I thought it was the most diplomatic way to answer it.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #3235 on: July 03, 2012, 08:05:55 AM »
It's too bad because in terms of songs and writing, I think "Vapor Trails" is the strongest thing they've released in a long, long time, but yeah, that production completely ruins it

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #3236 on: July 04, 2012, 03:26:43 AM »
I feel like I can't accurately judge it until the production is improved.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3237 on: July 04, 2012, 03:31:54 AM »
My parents returned from their vacation in Spain and brought me a copy of Clockwork angels. I can't wait to finally give it a spin tonight.  :metal

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3238 on: July 04, 2012, 07:00:35 AM »

This is a bogus statement.  You can tell how good the songs are, as well as the instrumentation as well as the writing.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3239 on: July 04, 2012, 08:39:14 AM »

This is a bogus statement.  You can tell how good the songs are, as well as the instrumentation as well as the writing.

No, you really can't. I can tell the songs get potential, but am practically unable to focus on them because my ears are constantly being raped.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3240 on: July 04, 2012, 08:50:03 AM »
It's incredibly distracting.  I agree with Nick; it's nearly impossible to listen to because it sounds so bad, and trying to judge any other aspects of the music is tough to do when all you hear is "bad".

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #3241 on: July 04, 2012, 10:32:42 AM »

It's not a bogus statement, it's his opinion.  Also, for some people, the instrumentation is difficult to listen to because of the production.  It's like trying to discern how good a piece of steak is while your mouth is full of mashed potatoes.
It's the Internet.  Everything everybody says, no matter how factual-sounding, is opinion.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3242 on: July 04, 2012, 11:21:49 AM »
You can still get a lot out of an album and know it's a good song, just because you don't like the levels does not mean you can't differentiate a good song or a bad song.  You just don't like the mix.  That's understandible and I agree too that I'd like the levels lower but I can still tell good from bad.

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #3243 on: July 04, 2012, 11:40:08 AM »
But to some people, the production is part of the song, because the listener assumes that is the way the band wants it to sound.

To use an extreme example, I truly cannot tell if I like the songs on Vapor Trails, the production is that bad.  It literally gives me a headache to listen to that album.  I know that I like CA, I just wish the production were better.  So if someone opines that he cannot get past the production values to ascertain his true opinion of "the music", that is a valid opinion.
It's the Internet.  Everything everybody says, no matter how factual-sounding, is opinion.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3244 on: July 04, 2012, 12:51:24 PM »
I've listened to Vapor Trails a million time and never once did I have a headache.  Do I like the production.  No way in hell.  can I tell the great songs from the average songs?  Yes I can.  Do I think they'd sound even better to me if the production was better?  Yes, but to say I can't tell if the song is good or bad is silly.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3245 on: July 04, 2012, 12:57:49 PM »
I'm with kingshmegland on this one. :)

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #3246 on: July 04, 2012, 01:19:07 PM »
Everybody's different.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3247 on: July 04, 2012, 03:23:34 PM »
Say you're out camping with some friends.  All you have for tunes is a radio, and there are almost no stations you can get anyway.  You finally find a station.  It barely comes in, sounds pretty much like crap, all static and noise, but you realize that you can make out the song they're playing, and it's one of your favorite songs.  A completely awesome song, which by coincidence you were telling the other guys about just half an hour ago.  Hear it is!  You crank it up.

It sounds like shit, but you know the song and you can hear it through all the noise.  Your friends don't know the song; all they hear is a bunch of noise and can sortuv make out some of the words and some guitars but that's about it.  "Isn't this an awesome song?" you ask.  They look at each other.

To me, that's pretty much what Vapor Trails is.  The songs may actually be pretty good, but I have no interest in subjecting myself to the horrible production long enough to make that determination.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3248 on: July 04, 2012, 03:31:31 PM »
Bob man. :lol  That's pushing it a little bit don't you think?! :lol

I get where you are coming from but it's not to the point where the ears are bleeding or you are struggling to hear the music.  I have always tooted that horn of separation and less levels in music but to say you can't say what's good or not on the 2 albums in question because you just can't listen to it is a whole other story.

I will say that for me, I play VT more than the 1st Rush album because the music is better but I play VT less than a lot of the other in their catalog.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3249 on: July 04, 2012, 03:42:02 PM »
I'm being pretty harsh I guess, but it's no lie that I simply do not listen to Vapor Trails at all.  When I'm in the mood for some Rush, there are plenty of other options available.

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #3250 on: July 04, 2012, 09:48:52 PM »
Gave it about 4 listens and I just don't like it. I want my 11.99 back, this album is rubbish for the Rush fanboys.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3251 on: July 04, 2012, 09:54:29 PM »
Gave it about 4 listens and I just don't like it. I want my 11.99 back, this album is rubbish for the Rush fanboys.

I have been a Rush fanboy since 1982...and I do not consider it to be rubbish at all...
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3252 on: July 04, 2012, 10:06:32 PM »

What specifically don't you like about it? The writing, the lyrics, the performances, the production, the mix, the tone, the instrumentation, the arrangements, the sequencing, the choruses, the verses, the solos, etc. etc.

I've read a lot of complaints, so I'd like know if your dislike of the album is along similar lines as others' complaints have been (of which, mostly concern themselves with the production, but even those who complain about that are still impressed with the writing and performances).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #3253 on: July 04, 2012, 10:07:31 PM »

I have been a Rush fanboy since 1982...and I do not consider it to be rubbish at all...

Well being a fanboy since 1982 might make you a little biased don't you think? The mix and mastering sucks, the songs are uninspiring, and the whole thing just doesn't come together right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3254 on: July 04, 2012, 10:14:39 PM »
Knock that fanboy shit off.  Just because you have been a fan for a long time doesn't make you a fanboy, especially in the condescending way you are putting it.  Believe it or not, most Rush fans are not sheep who will lap up any and everything the band puts out.  So, get real.