Author Topic: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels  (Read 508551 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels
« Reply #3185 on: June 21, 2012, 03:59:21 PM »
Great interview with Geddy and Billy Corgan.  Talking about the music business today.  The next part is going to be about the loudness war and concept albums.

https://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/interview-geddy-lee-and-billy-corgan-talk-albums-vs-singles-549792
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TL

« Reply #3186 on: June 21, 2012, 04:01:11 PM »
At the very least, they could have made it clear at point of sale that the fanpacks wouldn't count toward their chart position. Also, to make it more depressing, this would have been their first #1 in the UK.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3187 on: June 21, 2012, 04:02:54 PM »
I think all this talk about charting is a fan thing.  I think the Rush camp just look at the #'s sold not where they are charted.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3188 on: June 21, 2012, 04:05:22 PM »
Yeah, it's all just for bragging rights among fans.  I'm sure Rush is mostly interested in whether or not fans like the new album, maybe mildly interested in actual numbers, and not interested at all in whether they outsold some other band or singer who has also released something recently.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #3189 on: June 21, 2012, 04:25:23 PM »
Yeah, it's all just for bragging rights among fans.  I'm sure Rush is mostly interested in whether or not fans like the new album, maybe mildly interested in actual numbers, and not interested at all in whether they outsold some other band or singer who has also released something recently.
Well said.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3190 on: June 21, 2012, 06:36:18 PM »
Adele's still near the top of the list.  Dayum.  Cool to see Rush so high as well.

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #3191 on: June 21, 2012, 09:41:08 PM »
I listened to Clockwork Angels for the first time last evening, and as much as it pains me to say that, I am quite underwhelmed, especially after hearing all the praise here on the forums. Nothing is really bad (though I don't care much BU2B2), but it's also not really memorable. I'll be listening today, after school again - I really want to like this album, actually.

Did anyone initially have the same problems?

I did.  First impression was "Ah yes, the modern Rush sound."  Dense, driving, heavy, and Geddy of course singing in his lower register because that's his voice now.

As I got a few more tracks into it, I noticed that the guys were really wailing, Neil was pounding, Alex was screaming, Geddy was thumping, but somehow nothing really leaped out.  It's the production.  It smushes everything down into a thick paste where everything in it is awesome, but the net result is kinduv blah.

After four listens, I've concluded that like many Rush albums, fantastic playing has been marred by crummy sound quality.  I concluded that when I found myself already looking forward to the live versions of songs, where they'd be able to breathe and really come to life.

Nothing jumps out and grabs you because nothing can.  As much as the guys are firing on all eight, it still feels restrained and held back, which makes no sense.  This may be the sound they're really looking for, but I can't agree with it.

This sums up my thoughts exactly.  I just don't get why our favorite Willowdale Wailers allow this to happen.  I can still enjoy this album, but I would enjoy it even more if there was more space to it.
It's the Internet.  Everything everybody says, no matter how factual-sounding, is opinion.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3192 on: June 21, 2012, 10:45:17 PM »
Great interview with Geddy and Billy Corgan.  Talking about the music business today.  The next part is going to be about the loudness war and concept albums.

https://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/interview-geddy-lee-and-billy-corgan-talk-albums-vs-singles-549792

Great story.

Read this --was it yesterday?-- definately one of the better ones out there. There have been a lot of pretty good interviews over the last little while.

Orbert:

Nothing jumps out and grabs you because nothing can.  As much as the guys are firing on all eight, it still feels restrained and held back, which makes no sense.  This may be the sound they're really looking for, but I can't agree with it.

Yeah, it's kind of a rough listen that way.

Fortunately, you can almost get lost in it to the point where it doesn't bother you so much. There is quite a bit going on in there. If they use the same live rig setup as they did last time, it's going to sound otherworldly.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #3193 on: June 22, 2012, 05:26:59 AM »
I actually need to chill on playing Clockwork Angels before I wear it out. I have not been this into a Rush album in a long time. Can't get the songs out of my brain.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3194 on: June 22, 2012, 07:45:01 AM »
Orbert:

Yeah, it's kind of a rough listen that way.

Fortunately, you can almost get lost in it to the point where it doesn't bother you so much. There is quite a bit going on in there. If they use the same live rig setup as they did last time, it's going to sound otherworldly.

Yeah, after a while it doesn't bother me so much.  It's still very intense music, and I actually feel somewhat exhausted just listening to it.  I've wondered if that's because I'm actually straining to hear things through the mix and production, but that's a bit cynical even for me (though it does seem possible).

And this stuff is going to absolutely kill live.

Offline Bill Carson

« Reply #3195 on: June 22, 2012, 08:03:47 AM »
Apart from the chorus to "The Wreckers" there was nothing that stuck in my head on first listen although the music was impressive as always.
However I've listened to it a few times now and its getting better & better with each listen, definitely a grower for me.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3196 on: June 22, 2012, 09:13:09 AM »
I must say the album is really growing with each listen. I agree on the part that the production could be better since sometimes everything sounds "dirty" but from every other aspect I'm enjoying it more and more.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3197 on: June 22, 2012, 05:19:07 PM »
https://www.sporcle.com/games/TheGreatZo/rush_songs

Challenging everyone here to this quiz - My best time is 6 minutes and 18 seconds with all 173 answered correctly.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 10:27:04 AM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #3198 on: June 22, 2012, 06:42:49 PM »
138/173  :-\

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3199 on: June 22, 2012, 07:20:58 PM »
146.  Missed a bunch on Presto, T4E, s/t, and Vapor Trails  Every other album was 100%

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #3200 on: June 24, 2012, 08:55:17 AM »
I missed 4, if you don't count Feedback.  I don't even own that and it shouldn't count.  1 off s/t, 2 off VT, and for whatever reason couldn't get Twilight Zone off 2112.  I usually skip that one anyway.

I'm also digging the new album.  Surprised no one has mentioned how the intro of the title track sounds a bit like Pink Floyd, One of These Days.  That was a welcome surprise!

There's definitely a ferocity on this album that hasn't been there in a long long time.  To be honest, with the exception of a few tracks here and there on the intervening albums, the aggressiveness is at its highest since 2112 I'd say.

What doesn't work so well though, is the melodies.  I really think that's been lacking since after Counterparts.  The playing is impeccable, the production doesn't bother me really, but compare a great song like the title track here to something like Subdivisions, and you just don't have the same quality of a good melody.  And this is something that playing it live can't fix.  I don't know where those good melodies went.  It's like Geddy is more interested in the harmonies and his overdubs.  It kills me.

Alex's playing and Geddy's playing especially though, are inspired and literally bring a smile to my face.  If only I could be so awesome when I hit (almost) 60 like them.

Offline FrostbiteZ

« Reply #3201 on: June 24, 2012, 11:03:30 AM »
I love the new album. There is not one weak track on the album. Love them all and I wouldnt mind if they played the complete album. My favorite tracks are Clockwork Angels & The Garden

Offline Vivace

« Reply #3202 on: June 24, 2012, 06:39:09 PM »
That's been the biggest issue with all of the Rush albums from Vapor Trails on. The production is so mashed together the dynamics are virtually gone. This was what made albums like Counterparts, Presto, Moving Pictures, and just about everything Counterparts and before gems: the dynamics of the albums. It was wonderful to just hear each of the instruments as their own and not jumbled together like a box of lego pieces. Musically Vapor Trails, Snakes and Arrows and Clockwork Angels are all excellent but sonically they lack, except S&A which actually had a slightly better mix. If all three albums were mixed like Counterparts, I do believe the reception to these albums would be higher than it is currently.
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3203 on: June 24, 2012, 06:52:44 PM »
I thought Snakes And Arrows sounded great. It was the songs I thought were the problem.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3204 on: June 24, 2012, 09:48:52 PM »
155/173

I was able to get everything up through (and including) Power Windows *in order*. 

After that, I only nailed the albums I liked.   The albums I never listen to, I didn't do as well on. 

I was spotty on HYF...but eventually got everything but Turn the Page.
Got all of Presto
I was surprised that I only missed one off Roll the Bones...but I'm repeating my 5 most hated songs so often, that I guess it would make sense that I know the names....still, I forgot Heresy.
Forgot Speed of Love and Leave that Thing Alone from CP.
NAILED TFE INSTANTLY! (awesome album)
Missed Secret Touch, Nocturne and Out of the Cradle from VT
Feedback was what killed me...I *never* listen to that album.  I only remembered Summertime Blues and The Seeker.

I was really disappointed to have missed 4 songs from S&A...I *love* that album, I just havn't listened to it in awhile, and it's not old enough to have been burned into my psyche like the older albums have.

Got ALL of Clockwork Angels except for The Wreckers (which really bummed me out because that's one of my favorites)
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #3205 on: June 25, 2012, 10:57:25 AM »
Can't get enough of the transition drum fill at 3:43 in The Wreckers

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #3206 on: June 25, 2012, 02:34:00 PM »
For those who have been dismayed by the production on CA, Geddy talks a bit about the mastering in this interview:

https://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/geddy-lee-and-billy-corgan-on-concept-albums-jamming-singing-and-more-550329/

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3207 on: June 25, 2012, 02:41:19 PM »
It's nice to see that they know of the problem with hot mastering, but I just wish they were more proactive in fighting against it. Basically saying we compromise and don't let it get TOO bad isn't good enough when it comes to Rush as far as I'm concerned.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3208 on: June 26, 2012, 08:13:13 AM »
I don't understand why they need to be loud when you can just turn up the volume yourself. And most music player programs have replaygain or sound check to adjust the volume to make tracks the same volume anyway. Why ruin the sound?

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #3209 on: June 26, 2012, 08:58:58 AM »
For those who have been dismayed by the production on CA, Geddy talks a bit about the mastering in this interview:

https://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/geddy-lee-and-billy-corgan-on-concept-albums-jamming-singing-and-more-550329/

Who is Joe Bosso, and did he even listen to CA?  He said, "Both of your albums have great dynamic range..."  Everyone who has ears disagrees.

And, I agree with what Nick and Implode said.
It's the Internet.  Everything everybody says, no matter how factual-sounding, is opinion.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3210 on: June 26, 2012, 12:06:21 PM »
It really is baffling that they are so aware of the loudness dynamic, yet they still allowed it to be a part of Clockwork Angels.  It's almost like they said, "It's the way things are now with most bands, so we just went along with it."  It's disappointing.  Again, the album doesn't sound bad by any means, but it could have sounded better.  And it should have.

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #3211 on: June 26, 2012, 12:59:36 PM »
It really is baffling that they are so aware of the loudness dynamic, yet they still allowed it to be a part of Clockwork Angels.  It's almost like they said, "It's the way things are now with most bands, so we just went along with it."  It's disappointing.  Again, the album doesn't sound bad by any means, but it could have sounded better.  And it should have.

I wonder if Rush sees themselves as primarily a touring band, and they figure they won't obsess much over the album's sound quality because they know that when they play live, they'll nail it.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3212 on: June 26, 2012, 03:38:43 PM »
Something like that.  I was thinking that they might not have the most objective view of their sound.  They write and rehearse the songs and of course it all sounds "live" because they're playing it.  Then when they listen to the master tapes, everything sounds all smooth and produced.  In that sense, it sounds really good to their ears.  To us, it sounds squashed, robbed of its dynamics, but to them, it just sounds like how a studio recording should sound, compared to how it sounds live.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3213 on: June 26, 2012, 03:40:39 PM »
Good point. It still stinks though. The more I listen to it, the more it puts me off. I just feel like I can't really hear anything. :/

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3214 on: June 26, 2012, 10:18:02 PM »
It really is frustrating.  I listened to a bit of it on the way home a while ago, and some songs definitely suffer more than others.  And that first big chord Alex plays in the title track (around the 0:32 mark) is enough to make your eyes bleed, regardless of volume.  Even having the volume down low, it is still hard on the ears. 

Offline TL

« Reply #3215 on: June 26, 2012, 10:22:36 PM »
It is a bit irritating that they're clearly aware of the mastering issues with the album, and have apparently 'compromised' on it. Especially after they were so aware of the problems with the sound quality on Vapor Trails. They're Rush. If any band has a say in how their albums are mastered these days, it's them.

Clockwork Angels is such a great album, and it's baffling that they wouldn't want the best possible dynamics on it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3216 on: June 27, 2012, 09:08:17 AM »
It really is frustrating.  I listened to a bit of it on the way home a while ago, and some songs definitely suffer more than others.  And that first big chord Alex plays in the title track (around the 0:32 mark) is enough to make your eyes bleed, regardless of volume.  Even having the volume down low, it is still hard on the ears.

To amend this slightly, I should have pointed out that this mostly applies when I listen to the CD in the car.  While still not perfect, the CD sounds more than good enough on my home stereo and my computer speakers, but not in the car.  Maybe my car speakers can't handle those bass pedals, and the result is too much distortion, but some of the songs are simply difficult listens on my car stereo.

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #3217 on: June 27, 2012, 09:54:01 AM »

To amend this slightly, I should have pointed out that this mostly applies when I listen to the CD in the car.  While still not perfect, the CD sounds more than good enough on my home stereo and my computer speakers, but not in the car.  Maybe my car speakers can't handle those bass pedals, and the result is too much distortion, but some of the songs are simply difficult listens on my car stereo.

See, now i would have thought that the Naim stereo in your Bentley would handle the sound very well...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3218 on: June 27, 2012, 10:12:28 AM »
:lol

Actually, I traded that in for an El Camino. :metal

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #3219 on: June 27, 2012, 10:21:04 AM »