Author Topic: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels  (Read 508470 times)

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
Re: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels
« Reply #3010 on: June 14, 2012, 02:40:21 PM »
Yeah, its definitely the production and not the user end. I don't expect many people to really care because most people don't pay attention to or care about things like that. Little things on the production side always stick out to me though. But the production is really bad. I have to admit I like that Geddy is high in the mix, but not at the cost of everything else being buried and sounding like shit.

Curious if anyone who has the vinyl can report on the sound quality? I'm not expecting much of a jump, if any, but I am curious and interested in buying it.

Offline TL

« Reply #3011 on: June 14, 2012, 03:21:28 PM »
The production definitely isn't Vapor Trails bad, and it's not enough to really hinder enjoyment of the album. It's just disappointing.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3012 on: June 14, 2012, 03:48:53 PM »
I wonder if the .FLAC HDTracks are worth it, then, if the production is a bit different on those.

Anyone here willing to splurge the $20 for them and let us know?!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #3013 on: June 14, 2012, 04:45:05 PM »
Just wanted to throw in this quote from Rob Caggiano of Anthrax about Bravado on RTB.  It's very thoughtful and supports what i was saying earlier in the Rush threads about RTB being Neil's masterpiece:

"I'll preface this by saying that I pretty much love every single thing Rush has ever done over the years. The band's greatness and the depth and scope of their career really came into perspective for me while trying to figure out which one of their songs to talk about here. I literally didn't know where to begin! Ultimately I ended up going with a tune called "Bravado" off of the album Roll The Bones. It's a record I've been listening to a lot lately and "Bravado" is one of the standout tracks. As a lot of Rush songs do, "Bravado" really takes me somewhere else when I listen to it. It's an epic song. I love the overall "mood" created by Alex Lifeson's airy but "dark" guitar parts and Geddy Lee's driving bass and somber vocals. However, the thing that really stands out for me with this tune is Neil Peart's drum arrangement! It's one of the most "musical" drum parts of his whole career in my opinion. Neil's playing is crisp, clean and precise as always but his sense of dynamics and musicality here is just staggering. The way he plays off of Geddy's vocal phrasing/melody is both masterful and mind-blowing. It's also a perfect example of the balance that can be had between technical restraint and technical prowess. If I was a drummer, I would study the shit out of this song!"

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #3014 on: June 14, 2012, 04:50:47 PM »
I wonder if the .FLAC HDTracks are worth it, then, if the production is a bit different on those.

-Marc.
Over on MP's forum, a poster said that the HDTracks version isn't much better
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3015 on: June 14, 2012, 05:29:43 PM »
Bravado is my favorite off of RTB and one of my favorite Rush songs.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3016 on: June 14, 2012, 08:54:50 PM »

-Marc.
Over on MP's forum, a poster said that the HDTracks version isn't much better

Lame... it's ironic because the band (or as Alex was known to have said) were going to remaster VT and package it with CA.... now I guess those who are bothered by CA's production can wait for the remasters of VT and CA!

Maybe we'll get Sector 4 from Atlantic, which would include their albums from Presto to VT? S&A wouldn't need remastering...or at least it shouldn't.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #3017 on: June 15, 2012, 06:30:13 AM »
Fanpack just arrived. Can't wait to get home to listen to it!
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3018 on: June 15, 2012, 08:34:13 AM »
Still havn't got my package from Roadrunner...but at least I got the download.

It's only a high rate MP3...   But even with that I can tell that it sounds a ZILLION times better than Vapor Trails.  I will admit that it seems to be mixed a little hotter than S&A, but I'm not finding the sound quality to be "grating" or anything (like it was on VT). 

Great album so far...still need to digest.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3019 on: June 15, 2012, 09:18:16 AM »
Bravado is easily one of my least favorite songs from Rush. Such a disappointing album, especially after how much I actually liked Presto.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3020 on: June 15, 2012, 09:18:48 AM »
So... much... wrong... with... post...
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3021 on: June 15, 2012, 09:20:52 AM »
Bravado is incredible.  Any opinion other than that is mystifying.

Oh, and while Wish Them Well might not be one of the best songs musically on Clockwork Angels, it is lyrically magnificent.  I love how it works in the story, yet can also be taken out and applied to everyday life for many of us. 

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3022 on: June 15, 2012, 09:22:01 AM »

Oh, and while Wish Them Well might not be one of the best songs musically on Clockwork Angels, it is lyrically magnificent.  I love how it works in the story, yet can also be taken out and applied to everyday life for many of us. 

While musically I've come to place it lower than I initially did (4th), I agree about the story/lyric part. It's part of what makes The Garden fantastic as well.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3023 on: June 15, 2012, 09:34:20 AM »
Prepare to be mystified! :D

Bravado isn't in the same league as The Garden.

The Garden is brilliant.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3024 on: June 15, 2012, 10:45:52 AM »
If anyone wants to get the HD tracks, enter the code "Rush20" to get a 20% discount.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #3025 on: June 15, 2012, 12:40:58 PM »
Near 50 minute interview with Geddy and Alex about Clockwork Angels.  It wasn't on the last two pages, so if it's a repost, I don't give a damn.

https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F49340825&show_artwork=true

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3026 on: June 15, 2012, 12:41:50 PM »
I can't listen at work but I bet that's the Billy Corgan interview.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #3027 on: June 15, 2012, 12:42:10 PM »
I can't listen at work but I bet that's the Billy Corgan interview.

It is.

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #3028 on: June 15, 2012, 01:08:20 PM »
A mod on TRF made some adjustments to The Anarchist.  I feel this is an improvement over the album, but that's just listening on my PC's Klipsch speakers.

Here's the thread about it: https://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=74989
It's the Internet.  Everything everybody says, no matter how factual-sounding, is opinion.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #3029 on: June 15, 2012, 01:31:42 PM »
been hearing headlong flight on the radio, bot terrestrial and sattelite, lately. pretty cool

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3030 on: June 15, 2012, 08:04:55 PM »
The way I feel right now...The Garden is the best album closer since Natural Science.    Yes I'm serious.   With all due respect to Available Light and Between the Wheels.

Offline Vivace

« Reply #3031 on: June 16, 2012, 12:51:30 AM »
that remaster does actually improve the drums. It's not as good as Snakes and Arrows, but it's very very close. I may actually edit the whole album per the standards given on that site and listen again.

Excellent link!

edit: nevermind i was able to figure some of it out. can't figure out the multiband compressor. I did do a small tweek with Carnies using the link presets and it did give a small noticeable improvement. Basically it just removed the harshness of the bass and guitar and gives a little more punch to the drums. in the end it's about the best anyone can do, but it does make a difference in the end.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 02:24:57 AM by Vivace »
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline Vivace

« Reply #3032 on: June 16, 2012, 06:47:25 AM »
After a few listens....

this is easily Rush's best album since Counterparts, however as an aside, I still think everything after Counterparts, including Clockwork Angels isn't nearly as brilliant. Counterparts for me was the last of an era of Rush that in my mind was unmatched by any band out there. Since Test for Echo Rush's sound has been less atmospheric and more rough around the edges: heavy, distorted guitar sounds, vocal melodies not as ambient and the drums a bit toned down. Clockwork Angels really does a fantastic job bringing the old Rush back, but it still fails to get there entirely in my mind.

Also, this is also some of Neil's best lyrical work since Hemispheres. Granted he has a lot of stellar lyrics with Counterparts, Grace under Pressure and Hold Your Fire, Hemisphere always stood out for me as being incredibly inspired and now I have that same feeling with Clockwork Angels. Granted, most of the time I disagree with Neil's philosophy and find him a bit too dismissive when it comes to belief and ethics, yet looking past my convictions Neil still achieved what he set out to do, compose something that surpasses almost everything he has ever done. Also his drumming is easily the best since Counterparts. Very aggressive and almost an antithesis to Snakes and Arrows.

Despite the inconsistent production where some tracks really need the low and high ends adjusted to clear up the muddiness, Clockwork Angels is a 9 out of 10 in my mind.  :tup
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3033 on: June 16, 2012, 08:51:57 AM »
The reason why people keep hearing "...their best album since Moving Pictures" is because ever since Roll the Bones, every album has gotten better. 

CP was better than RtB, T4E was better than CP (IMO), a little hiccup with VT, then S&A was *MASSIVELY* better...and now CA has blown S&A out of the water.

This album does something that Rush doesn't do often enough sometimes.   Start strong *AND* end just as strong, if not stronger.  It makes the entire album a purely joyful listening experience, and even shores up a weak track or two through the middle...because you never get the feeling that "it's all downhill from here".   

This is a really fantastic album.   I can't remember the last time a Rush album was *SO* good that it made me giddy enough to giggle.   Maybe Power Windows??

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3034 on: June 16, 2012, 09:38:39 AM »
Nah, Counterparts (which Clockwork Angels doesn't top). :)

But I do love how CA starts and ends strong. There are no weak spots, no songs that while maybe not bad (or maybe bad :lol), I still think, "I could have done without that" (which the previous three albums all had - Spindrift, We Hold On, One Little Victory, The Stars Look Down, Sweet Miracle, The Color of Right, Time and Motion).  Even the least best song here, Halo Effect, is still highly enjoyable and snuggles in nicely between the rocker that is Carnies and the sprawling Seven Cities of Gold. :tup :tup

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #3035 on: June 16, 2012, 09:57:58 AM »
Wait, Halo Effect is the least best song here?

That song is great.  Much better than BU2B and Wish Them Well at least.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3036 on: June 16, 2012, 10:33:16 AM »
I think what helps this album, as a whole, is that each song has CHARACTER. This might be because of the over-arching story told through the lyrics that binds them all together, but each song is just memorable - I can recall the titles and lyrics, and each song has such a unique feel and sound do it from one to the next.

On every album since Presto, there's probably at least one or two songs I couldn't recall after my first week or two of listens. I'd go through the tracklist in my mind and only get halfway through before I'd forget a song..."And then there was...wait. What track came next? The slow one...no, the one about...ehhh..." And then with VT and S&A, we got more music and more songs, so of course there's a greater chance of songs being forgotten, so perhaps there were songs on those albums that I could've done without, although NOW (many years later) I've grown to appreciate all the albums since 1989 as whole albums, even the songs that aren't quite memorable.

With this album, I don't get the feeling that any song is out of place - all the pieces fit. Neil did a great job with his lyrics and Geddy did a great job fitting them all in to the vocal melodies. Everything just sort of fell into place on this one. Musically speaking, each song just sounds so unique.
"Caravan" has that great extended middle section and a lot of cool added/dropped beats throughout.
"BU2B" just slays, with it's fast tempo and the bare guitar/bass parts that make me go "Whoa, Rush can do things like that?!"
"Clockwork Angels" really sounds unique in the history of Rush (as one of the members themselves have said, it was something totally new), and that middle section is REALLY unique to Rush, a sort of triple-meter shuffle thing.
"The Anarchist" stands out as having one of Neil's coolest drum grooves on the album with the toms, and I really enjoy the eastern-feel of the melodies, especially with the strings, and the dark-sounding solo section that switches back and forth from half-time.
"Carnies" starts out with a "Working Man"esque riff (really cool stuff from Alex) in a bit of half-time, then we get into the chorus and it just STICKS. "A wheel of fate, a game of chance" is totally addictive. I also love the return of Neil's signature groove (which he started using way back in the Hemispheres/Permanent Waves days...drummers know what I'm talking about here).
"Halo Effect" is probably one of the band's best ballad-esque songs in a long time, and does a great job of fitting music to lyrics here. I love the lyrics too, especially the reprisal of "Fool that I was" in each verse. Really touching piece.
"Seven Cities Of Gold", the SEVENTH track, starts off with a sweet bass/drum groove, and Neil brings in his cowbells!! (with SEVEN hits, if you count...coincidence?) Great intro, another of the album's great song intros (well, they're all great, really), and another powerful chorus with great delivery from Geddy. They also snuck that dropped-beat in the chorus too, which I enjoyed!
"The Wreckers" starts out like it sounds like a song from TFE or VT, but it grows into a great mid-tempo song with another great chorus, and it's a good relaxing piece between two heavy and epic songs... I wish it didn't fade out, though.
"Headlong Flight" is like "Bastille Day" and "By-Tor & The Snowdog" had a kid in 1975 and it grew up to be this. So much energy and the lyrics are really universal, while still applying to the story and concept. This is an instant classic for me and I hope they keep it in the setlists from here on out! Everyone in the band is playing with all cylinders firing and they really pull out all the stops, especially in the middle section and Neil's mini-solo. I'm glad a song like this appears in the 2nd half of the album, where, since HYF, songs have become forgettable...until now.
"BU2B2" is unique in that it's just Geddy and a string section, playing a haunting near-reprisal of the album's 2nd track. Really eerie and chilling.
"Wish Them Well" has been said to be catchy, and it really is. I catch myself humming the chorus to myself randomly throughout the day. Some dislike the high-sung title in the chorus, but I think it really adds to the song and the sentiment of it. It's also a very unique song in that it starts with 2 runs of the chorus before going into the first verse!
"The Garden" is probably a Top 5 piece on this album for me, and one of the band's best closing tracks, period. There isn't much more that I can say about this piece that hasn't already been said, but I could probably just hit repeat on this one more times than any of the tracks on the album. I'm really glad it doesn't fade-out either!

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3037 on: June 16, 2012, 12:06:34 PM »
Wait, Halo Effect is the least best song here?

That song is great.  Much better than BU2B and Wish Them Well at least.

Leaving BU2B2 out of the equation (since that is basically an interlude) I think it is, yes.  Like I said, it is a highly enjoyable little tune, but something has to be the least best, right?  And Wish Them Well is way too awesome lyrically to be the least best. 

"Wish Them Well" has been said to be catchy, and it really is. I catch myself humming the chorus to myself randomly throughout the day. Some dislike the high-sung title in the chorus, but I think it really adds to the song and the sentiment of it. It's also a very unique song in that it starts with 2 runs of the chorus before going into the first verse!

Those people are on drugs.  That high-pitched "wissssssh theeeem weeeeell" is one of my favorite things to sing along to from the CD thus far. :hat

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #3038 on: June 16, 2012, 04:19:12 PM »
my copy from amazon just arrived  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3039 on: June 16, 2012, 04:38:32 PM »
I just got mine from Roadrunner.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3040 on: June 16, 2012, 11:35:02 PM »
Another great interview with Alex and Geddy:

https://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=175519

I loved Alex's story about running into and meeting his hero, Geddy Lee. :lol :lol :lol

But I am still in shock over how big Alex's bald spot is. :eek :eek :eek

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3041 on: June 17, 2012, 12:23:41 AM »
that's pretty cool that they got Hetfield to do the interview
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3042 on: June 17, 2012, 12:47:19 AM »
Alex looks ridiculous. He should just accept his fate, and shave his head.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3043 on: June 17, 2012, 01:10:57 AM »

:lol

Yeah he sure looks like Jaymz.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3044 on: June 17, 2012, 04:37:23 AM »

I seriously had to do a double-take.