Author Topic: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels  (Read 508686 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels
« Reply #2870 on: June 09, 2012, 09:55:43 PM »
This album has a great flow to it. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TL

« Reply #2871 on: June 09, 2012, 10:24:43 PM »
A friend of mine got his hands on a legit copy today.

This is such a good album! I don't know how to compare it to Snakes and Arrows; they're very different albums. Both are great. I think Clockwork Angels is a bit more cohesive as an album. Outside of the three tracks we'd already heard, I think The Anarchist, The Wreckers, and The Garden are the standouts so far. The other tracks are good as well. Man, this is a fantastic album. Can't wait to pick up my copy on Tuesday.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2872 on: June 09, 2012, 10:56:25 PM »

Yea or nea, The Garden is the best closing track Rush have done since at least Available Light.

Except that Everyday Glory is better than both of them (although I am loving The Garden thus far).

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2873 on: June 09, 2012, 10:59:34 PM »
Fanpack disc is different to the regular release.
What are the differences?

From various pictures that I have researched on Google, it seems the Fan Pack packaging houses the disc and booklet in a fancy Digi-Book case. Pictures of this can be seen here:

...while the regular retail release houses the album in a standard digipak:

And as you can see, even the printing on the disc itself is different between the two versions, with the Fan Pack version featuring the Circle-In-Square-In-Triangle image seen inside the booklet.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
« Reply #2874 on: June 09, 2012, 11:16:20 PM »
Just finished my first listen and I have to say, I'm REALLY excited about this album.  It feels so much better than S&A, and it has some absolutely beautiful moments on it.  The Garden is just... man.

I really dig the fan pack version, too.  The Digipack version of the album is great, plus there's a cool poster with my name on it since I ordered it early on.  Super stoked.

Time for listen #2....
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2875 on: June 10, 2012, 03:39:22 AM »
The Garden is such an emotional and beautiful song!
It is my personal favorite at the moment.

Same here.

Quick check to see if we can get a unanimous vote on something.

Yea or nea, The Garden is the best closing track Rush have done since at least Available Light.

My first reaction was that its the best closing song since Mystic Rhythms. Definitely the best since available light though.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2876 on: June 10, 2012, 04:21:47 AM »
Listened to the album once, solid I'd say. Didn't really find a song I found particularly good, but on the contrary nothing bad either. I'm guessing it will need more spins, and I will give it more spins when I have some time.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2877 on: June 10, 2012, 04:46:01 AM »
After several listens this is hitting the spot. Production isn't great butt that's modern rock producers for you. There is plenty of melody here for me and the only weak ponts are when Geddy starts to warble rather than sing which is a shame because his singing here is excellent. Looking forward to getting a legit copy soon to delve into the lyrics and the concept. Best Rush album since Counterparts without a doubt and could place pretty high on the list after this great start.
One thing I would say is I don't remember any standout solos as yet so I think I need to look into that.
So far though my faith in Rush is being restored and I'd happily see this album performed in its entirety on tour.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2878 on: June 10, 2012, 06:52:12 AM »
Listened to the album once, solid I'd say. Didn't really find a song I found particularly good, but on the contrary nothing bad either. I'm guessing it will need more spins, and I will give it more spins when I have some time.

Yeah its a grower. 

I'm with everyone else in that I hope they play the Garden live. 

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2879 on: June 10, 2012, 09:29:15 AM »
On the subject of Garden being the best closer since Available Light, I agree. But Available Light is still a much better song imo.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2880 on: June 10, 2012, 11:10:04 PM »
The last track on a Rush album is always a favorite of mine and The Garden is no exception.

I don't know if The Garden gets played live since Jason Sniderman played piano on it. It would be easy enough to sample though.

The only closers I would not consider favorites are Working Man, Countdown and Carve Away The Stone.

The whole album just gets better with each listen. If I had to pick a least favorite at the moment, it would have to be Wish Them Well.

If you don't count Feedback, I'd put Vapor Trails, Snakes and Arrows and Clockwork Angels along with any three album run in their history. (And even with Feedback, I'd still say it would compare favorably to any four album run.)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2881 on: June 11, 2012, 07:37:39 AM »

If you don't count Feedback, I'd put Vapor Trails, Snakes and Arrows and Clockwork Angels along with any three album run in their history. (And even with Feedback, I'd still say it would compare favorably to any four album run.)

:eek :eek :eek :eek

Woah, that is an awfully bold statement.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2882 on: June 11, 2012, 08:41:22 AM »
Okay, I've listened enough at this point to ask the question...

After what was a great improvement sonically with Snakes and Arrows, does anyone else feel that Clockwork Angels doesn't really sound that good? The bass is great and vocals are decent, but the guitars and drums seem a bit distant and muddy through most of it, partially because I think the volume knobs were a little too hot again.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2883 on: June 11, 2012, 08:47:26 AM »
Sadly, I agree.  You can really tell the more you turn the volume up.  It's almost like Nick Raskulinecz doesn't realize that an album can rock without having to turn the guitars up to noisy levels.  I am still digging the CD like crazy, but the sound of it is a bit frustrating.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2884 on: June 11, 2012, 08:49:09 AM »
Yeah, I have to say it was terribly obvious on my first listen because I had my complete focus on the album and had it cranked up to a high level. Subsequent listens at lower volumes were better, but the problem was still there.

Edit: And it sucks, because as I warm up more and more to the album musically, I'm turned off by it more and more sonically.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #2885 on: June 11, 2012, 08:54:27 AM »
That really sucks.  I've been listening to a download of the album (since my copy hasn't arrived yet), and was hoping that it was just mp3 compression.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2886 on: June 11, 2012, 09:00:11 AM »
It still sounds better than Vapor trails, right?  ;D

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2887 on: June 11, 2012, 09:03:37 AM »
It still sounds better than Vapor trails, right?  ;D

Unless they went in trying to fuck things up, it's going to sound better than VT.

It's just so frustrating that probably all the other albums I buy this year will have less of a budget than Clockwork did, and yet most of them will sound better.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2888 on: June 11, 2012, 09:05:30 AM »
Are there any differences in sound between the CD and the LP?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2889 on: June 11, 2012, 09:07:20 AM »

I've only listened to the LP once, but I plan to put it in rotation for the next couple of days, so I'll get back to you on that.

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #2890 on: June 11, 2012, 11:13:11 AM »
In Corgan interview, Geddy says they are trying to figure out if they will play all or part of the new album on tour.  Around 38 minute mark.

https://soundcloud.com/fmqb-productions/inside-rush-clockwork-angels

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2891 on: June 11, 2012, 11:15:39 AM »
In Corgan interview, Geddy says they are trying to figure out if they will play all or part of the new album on tour.  Around 38 minute mark.

If they play all of it, you can be sure they will split it up over the course of the set...but will the songs still be in chronological order? That is, "Caravan" and "BU2B" would be the first two songs played, then after a couple classics, they break out "Clockwork Angels", etc. etc.

Or would they play the whole thing, un-interrupted, like they did with Moving Pictures?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #2892 on: June 11, 2012, 11:37:22 AM »
I'd like to see them play the first half of the album closing the first set and the second half opening the second set. Though it may bore the casual fans who only know the hits.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2893 on: June 11, 2012, 12:00:19 PM »
I'd like to see them play the first half of the album closing the first set and the second half opening the second set. Though it may bore the casual fans who only know the hits.

Interesting idea... I think, to further expand on my prior post, I'd like to see something like this...
(Old Song)
(Old Song)
(Old Song)
"Caravan"
"BU2B"
(Old Song)
(Old Song)
"Clockwork Angels"
(Old Song)
"The Anarchist"
(Classic Hit/Deep Cut - "Natural Science" or "Jacob's Ladder" would be awesome here)

-Intermission-

"Carnies"
"Halo Effect"
"Seven Cities of Gold"
(Old Song)
"The Wreckers"
"Headlong Flight"
(Drum Solo)
(Acoustic Song - "Hope" would be cool)
"BU2B2"
"Wish Them Well"
(Classic Hit - 2112: I, II, VII)
(Classic Hit - Xanadu?)
"The Garden"

-Encore-
(2 or 3 old/classic hits)

The number of songs works, as is standard with their previous live sets, about 10-11 in the first set, then 12-14 int he 2nd set, and an encore.

This leaves room for 12-13 older songs/classics, and of course, those would include at least "The Spirit Of Radio" and "Freewill", as well as any version/part of "2112". I'd like it if they left out any songs from Moving Pictures just because they played the whole thing live last tour. It would leave more room for other older songs, too, since they usually play half of MP live anyway.

I think "Closer To The Heart" should sit this tour out, as well, so that would leave us with 10 other songs to play. "La Villa Strangiato" will probably make it to the encore again, and I think we'll see at least 1 or 2 songs from Vapor Trails as none were played on the Time Machine Tour. I'd like it if there was one new song played live from Snakes & Arrows, but it will likely be represented by "Far Cry", so that brings us to 6 songs...

"Subdivisions", and probably at least 1 song each from GUP, POW and HYF would be nice...leaving 2 songs, probably "Xanadu" and something from their first four albums.

It'd be tough to play ALL of CA and still please the fans, but if they wanted to do that, they'd bring out some deep cuts and make it worth it to have half the set be CA songs. Although, to be honest, I'd like to see them do a tour where they played nothing but songs from Presto onward, covering a lot of songs they've never played live, or have rarely played live (like "Time And Motion" or "Ceiling Unlimited").

-Marc.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 12:08:08 PM by The Letter M »

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #2894 on: June 11, 2012, 12:19:58 PM »
Partway through the interview. Found out that Rush does recognize that the intro to Headlong Flight does sound just like Bastille Day; turns out it's intentional, since the lyrics are about reflecting on your past.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2895 on: June 11, 2012, 12:22:36 PM »
Partway through the interview. Found out that Rush does recognize that the intro to Headlong Flight does sound just like Bastille Day; turns out it's intentional, since the lyrics are about reflecting on your past.

Must have been Bouujze 's idea! :lol

-Marc.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2896 on: June 11, 2012, 12:42:07 PM »

Except that Everyday Glory is better than both of them (although I am loving The Garden thus far).
I love Everyday Glory!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2897 on: June 11, 2012, 12:59:03 PM »

Great interview!

I had heard the story about them switching instruments during The Wreckers, but hearing them tell it in more detail was super cool.

I loved how much Corgan talked about Neil as a lyricist.  I always laugh when Rush dissenters bag him for supposedly being a bad lyricist. 

And while they mentioned that playing all of the new album is a possibility, it didn't sound likely based on the way they talked.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2898 on: June 11, 2012, 05:15:15 PM »

After two listens tonight, I'd say there is a fair improvement on the vinyl, but it's still certainly lacking.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2899 on: June 11, 2012, 05:25:18 PM »
After 5 listens, how do I feel about Clockwork Angels?

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2900 on: June 11, 2012, 06:34:15 PM »
Picking this up tomorrow! I listened to most of it and it sounds really super awesome. I'm really excited to spin this all day.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2901 on: June 11, 2012, 07:39:52 PM »
Tomorrow, I might accidentally buy 2 CD's and the vinyl if all are available.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2902 on: June 11, 2012, 08:22:56 PM »
So excited to pick it up tomorrow :caffeine:

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #2903 on: June 11, 2012, 09:07:48 PM »
Picked it up earlier tonight at the record store! Spinning it now.  :corn
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2904 on: June 11, 2012, 11:45:56 PM »
The bastards didn't have this in store over the weekend!!  :censored >:(  No wonder I've fully relied on online purchasing for the last year or so.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.