Author Topic: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels  (Read 508608 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels
« Reply #2660 on: May 22, 2012, 01:02:46 PM »
I get definitely can get down with a Syth-era heavy setlist. A show of hands is one of my favorite things ever.

Just give me Losing it, pretty please. (and mystic rhythms)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2661 on: May 22, 2012, 01:14:26 PM »
Yeah, as far as never before or little before played stuff the Synth era albums are the obvious place to go. I'd love to hear Lock and Key and Manhattan Project or Middletown or Territories this time around.

Seen it, seen it, seen it. :biggrin:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2662 on: May 22, 2012, 01:17:51 PM »
I love Mystic Rhythms, but the R30 version came up on random play the other day, and I was a little surprised by how uninspired it sounded, so I think might be one of those tunes that simply doesn't translate that well live.  I don't remember being disappointed with it when I saw it on the CP and R30 tours, but I don't remember it blowing me away either.  I'd much rather than dig deeper for a PoW cut that hasn't been played since the 80s - Manhattan Project, Territories or Middletown Dreams, please. :biggrin:

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2663 on: May 22, 2012, 01:23:39 PM »
I love Mystic Rhythms, but the R30 version came up on random play the other day, and I was a little surprised by how uninspired it sounded, so I think might be one of those tunes that simply doesn't translate that well live.  I don't remember being disappointed with it when I saw it on the CP and R30 tours, but I don't remember it blowing me away either.  I'd much rather than dig deeper for a PoW cut that hasn't been played since the 80s - Manhattan Project, Territories or Middletown Dreams, please. :biggrin:

This please. I love me some Middletown Dreams.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #2664 on: May 22, 2012, 01:25:07 PM »
I just wanna hear Manhattan Project, Grand Designs, Prime Mover, The Pass, and even though they play it all the time, Dreamline. It's kind of a new discovery for me and it's one of my top favorite Rush tunes.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #2665 on: May 22, 2012, 01:36:54 PM »
I just want to hear the new album.  :sadpanda:
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #2666 on: May 22, 2012, 03:44:19 PM »
Yeah, as far as never before or little before played stuff the Synth era albums are the obvious place to go. I'd love to hear Lock and Key and Manhattan Project or Middletown or Territories this time around.

I'll jump on that sentiment.  Synthy Rush rules.  Lock and Key would be FANTASTIC.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2667 on: May 22, 2012, 06:31:36 PM »
Problem. I just hooked up a new receiver and sub, and one of the first things I played on it was Power Windows.

The problem is I can't tell if it sounds better than before, or I was just slightly underremembering how glorious that album is.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2668 on: May 22, 2012, 06:53:26 PM »
Sometimes I like to pretend that I already have Clockwork Angels, except that I let my friend borrow the CD and he scratched it up so now only 3 tracks play.  (3 kickass tracks if I do say so myself)

Delusions like this help make the excruciating wait bearable.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2669 on: May 22, 2012, 10:02:33 PM »
Twilight Zone and Red Sector A are really the songs I hope to see someday.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2670 on: May 22, 2012, 10:29:33 PM »
RS'A' got played to death since GUP, I hope it stays retired.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2671 on: May 23, 2012, 12:01:04 AM »
Red Sector A is so awesome live, though.  I am fine with them playing that as often as possible.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2672 on: May 23, 2012, 09:35:13 AM »
I wonder when we'll get the 30 second to minute bits of each new song so I can froth at the mouth till the albums comes out.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2673 on: May 23, 2012, 10:38:19 AM »
I wonder when we'll get the 30 second to minute bits of each new song so I can froth at the mouth till the albums comes out.

Yeah, seriously. I'm ready for some snippets.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2674 on: May 23, 2012, 12:50:49 PM »
Red Sector A is so awesome live, though.  I am fine with them playing that as often as possible.

I have yet to see RSA live but based on Rush in Rio it sounds amazing and I really want to hear it.  Best rock march song ever.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2675 on: May 23, 2012, 12:58:11 PM »

I have yet to see RSA live but based on Rush in Rio it sounds amazing and I really want to hear it.  Best rock march song ever.

I prefer a lot of Rush songs live compared to the studio versions. This and Tom Sawyer are two examples, hell all Rush songs are better.live.

It's the same with Fleetwood Mac.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2676 on: May 23, 2012, 01:08:06 PM »
I'm with you almost 50% on that.  There are a lot of Rush songs, especially later ones, that didn't particularly grab me until I saw them live.  But there are still some which really make use of studio magic and IMO don't translate well live.

Fleetwood Mac is the opposite for me.  I find the looseness of their live performance and the little things they do differently generally distracting, and find myself wishing they'd stick more to the original versions.  They don't have to do carbon copies of the originals, but something closer would be preferable.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2677 on: May 23, 2012, 05:17:10 PM »
There are definitely some Rush songs that do not sound as good live (Mystic Rhythms, Armor and Sword, Nobody's Hero, etc.), but they generally do a great job of making most of the songs they play live sound as good or even better than the studio originals. 

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #2678 on: May 23, 2012, 07:26:28 PM »
When I saw them play Mystic Rhythms live, I felt like some of the audience was losing interest, but I loved it. It's a great change of pace from all the more rockin tracks.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2679 on: May 23, 2012, 07:35:03 PM »
I thought MR was fantastic live, and have always thought RS'A' was somewhat dull live.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2680 on: May 23, 2012, 07:43:46 PM »
I have always thought RS'A' was somewhat dull live.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2681 on: May 23, 2012, 07:44:00 PM »
I'm so jealous that you guys saw Mystic Rhythms.

and I just re-looked at the time machine tour Setlist and totally forgot I saw half of those songs, like Marathon for instance.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 08:00:11 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2682 on: May 23, 2012, 07:50:07 PM »
I loved finally getting to see Marathon, but having watched the bulk of the Time Machine DVD again recently, I hate the way Geddy sang the line, "Something always fires the light that gets in your eyes."  The way he sang "eyes" was hard to listen to.  It reminded me of Bono trying to sing the "He sees the man inside the child" line from Mysterious Ways on the 360 tour...when guys get that old, they just can't hit some of those notes the way they used to, which I get, but certain lines like that can be a bit bothersome.  Them not doing the complete live original ending was a tad disappointing as well.  Don't get me wrong, I was still thrilled to finally see it in '10, but those factors and not getting the stage show for it like they did it back in the 80s (where was the laser guy??) just made it highly enjoyable instead of f'ing awesome. 

And I mean all of that in the nicest nit-picking way possible. :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2683 on: May 24, 2012, 05:10:39 AM »
I realy loved how Rush in the 80's while playing Marathon flooded the crowd in a white light at the end of the songs.  It was a very cool moment for me at least.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #2684 on: May 24, 2012, 10:55:45 PM »
There's a full review of Clockwork Orange by Martin Popoff here: https://www.bravewords.com/news/184118

There's a preview of the song Headlong Flight below the review. Based upon one listen, it's...okay.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #2685 on: May 24, 2012, 10:57:39 PM »
Clockwork Orange
:lol

Also, Headlong Flight has been able for streaming/download for a couple weeks now.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2686 on: May 25, 2012, 07:27:34 AM »
Alex discusses the new album track by track:

https://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/interview-alex-lifeson-talks-rushs-clockwork-angels-track-by-track-545614

My enthusiasm for this album is now sky high.  18 days!!!!! :) :) :)

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #2687 on: May 25, 2012, 08:57:38 PM »
Clockwork Orange
:lol

I realized I'd typed the wrong name after I logged off.  I chuckled to myself.  :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2688 on: May 26, 2012, 10:51:18 AM »
Alex discusses the new album track by track:

https://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/interview-alex-lifeson-talks-rushs-clockwork-angels-track-by-track-545614

My enthusiasm for this album is now sky high.  18 days!!!!! :) :) :)

That was great.  It's driving me nuts!!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2689 on: May 26, 2012, 02:35:17 PM »
Does anybody know if there will be different editions (deluxe) of CA; or is there just the single disc version?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2690 on: May 26, 2012, 06:30:06 PM »
Does anybody know if there will be different editions (deluxe) of CA; or is there just the single disc version?

The only deluxe I'm aware of, is the one I just ordered.  It comes with both the CD and the vinyl version.  $40 well spent.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2691 on: May 26, 2012, 09:15:16 PM »

The only deluxe I'm aware of, is the one I just ordered.  It comes with both the CD and the vinyl version.  $40 well spent.

Copy, thanks.  Is your edition going to be delievered before or on June 12th?  Hopefully it will be. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2692 on: May 27, 2012, 12:47:07 AM »
I'm not sure I got a guarantee on the arrival date.   But it did include an MP3 download on the 11th as well. (I believe that was the case...I may have to re-read the specials)
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2693 on: May 28, 2012, 04:52:46 PM »
So I just found out that, apparently, two songs on the album have sub-songs within/after them, as a track list has been revealed to show as such:

Caravan
BU2B
Clockwork Angels
i. - The Pedlar 1
The Anarchist
Carnies
Halo Effect
Seven Cities Of Gold
The Wreckers
Headlong Flight
ii. - The Pedlar 2
BU2B2
Wish Them Well
The Garden

https://thefreewheeler.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=music2&thread=3722&page=1\

There's also this:
In between "Clockwork Angels" and "The Anarchist" there was a title called "i - the pedlar 1", and also between "Headlong Flight" and "BU2B2" there was a title called "ii - the pedlar 2".

The meaning of these monikers should become more evident when the full lyrics become available, but for now, they seem something like a subtitle for "Clockwork Angels" and "Headlong Flight", as these two songs have some sort of connection between them.

So perhaps, the title track and "Headlong Flight" (the two longest songs on the album) have sub-songs as a part of them?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2694 on: May 28, 2012, 05:13:46 PM »
I understand this is kinda pointless as I've whittled it down and made it personal, but for shits and giggles, here are in chronological order the 10 songs I most want to see live that I never have and they at least have a reasonable chance at playing-

Jacob's Ladder
The Enemy Within
Territories
Middletown Dreams
Lock and Key
The Pass
Between Sun & Moon
Cold Fire
Test for Echo
Driven

My biggest fear is that they won't play The Pass, but will instead bring back Superconductor or Show Don't Tell, two of my least favorite Rush songs. I'm guessing that they'll scrap the Counterparts songs from last tour and replace them with something else from that era, so I feel good about one of my CP or T4E picks being played.

(for point of reference, I've seen them every leg since R30)