Author Topic: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels  (Read 507963 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels
« Reply #2520 on: April 24, 2012, 04:21:59 PM »
I never said that.  All I said was:

Even better news.  The full song will be released as a digital single.  Woot!!!

https://www.rushisaband.com/blog/2012/04/15/3064/Headlong-Flight-single-cover-art-revealed-full-version-available-for-download-April-24th

So people can pay for a song that they will pay for again when the whole album comes out? :P

I don't think spending an extra $1.29 on Rush will break me. :biggrin:

We Kev reading that made me think that you were against buying it twice but I'M DOING IT TOO!! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2521 on: April 24, 2012, 04:32:44 PM »
Had a bit of a surreal experience today.

My gf had shown interest in Rush and possibly going with to see a show when they toured. Well, I planned the Manchester trip and she wasn't able to do that. Long story short she is basically forcing me to go to the Philly show as well so she can see a show.

There are worse fates in this world then having to say OK, I'll find a way to do a second show. :biggrin:
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2522 on: April 24, 2012, 04:47:47 PM »
If anybody wants the presale # for Rush tickets in Manchester.  I have it.  I just got my tickets in Section 108.

Passcode for the Citi presale is #414729

You do not need to use a Citi Visa card.  You can use any.

Edit: Oh and WOOOOOOOT!!!  Show # 29 for me!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2523 on: April 24, 2012, 05:17:52 PM »
Will that work for any city or only Manchester?
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2524 on: April 24, 2012, 05:55:30 PM »
Had a bit of a surreal experience today.

My gf had shown interest in Rush and possibly going with to see a show when they toured. Well, I planned the Manchester trip and she wasn't able to do that. Long story short she is basically forcing me to go to the Philly show as well so she can see a show.

There are worse fates in this world then having to say OK, I'll find a way to do a second show. :biggrin:

dude leah wants to get a rush sweatshirt and she can even name all 3 members from rush... my mind is blown +____+

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2525 on: April 24, 2012, 07:17:37 PM »
NO WAI!!
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2526 on: April 24, 2012, 07:22:13 PM »
Will that work for any city or only Manchester?

Just Manchester.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2527 on: April 24, 2012, 08:37:11 PM »
After my first listen, I didn't really dig the new tune at all.  Will have to listen more.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2528 on: April 24, 2012, 09:29:58 PM »
Last part of the last tour, I didn't get much chance to catch many shows. On first glance...I'll be able to hit about seven shows this fall. Of course I'll be at Dwór Lee in about two weeks anyway...  :biggrin:
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2529 on: April 24, 2012, 10:25:48 PM »
After about four hours of trying I got 17th row Alex's side at The Rock on Monday. Seemed like about the last 5 rows in about 6 sections in the lower bowl and a few rows on the floor were only available.

The Music Today sofware is A LOT more user friendly than Ticketbastard's.

I tried the Citibank sale today just to see what was there for about 45 minutes and couldn't get anything I was substantially happier with so these will do.

Still a chance I might hit Philly, but it will have to be alone. I guess it depends on the set. I could use this as a test case to get a great seat at showtime.

Tempus Vox:
People often forget that a recorded song that moves them is a permanent record of that artists piece, and people think every subsequent record should sound like the one they have been familiar with for 30 years or longer. Life doesnt work that way. People and their interests change. NP isn't the same musician, let alone the same man he was 30 years ago. But he is always looking to evolve or try something different. Hell...the entire band has always done this too. As for writing ability, if every song sounded the same, then no one would buy records, and artists would get bored and give up.

And this is a MAJOR reason why I love this band.  We're in 2012 now, not 1981.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #2530 on: April 24, 2012, 11:10:49 PM »
does anyone know the presale codes for the philly show? I saw theres a livenation presale and a venue presale..
Ill be living in philly at the time, but since i currently live in california i dont have access to presale codes for venues other than CA venues..
If anyone can help itd be much appreciated!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2531 on: April 25, 2012, 08:43:14 AM »
Tempus Vox:
People often forget that a recorded song that moves them is a permanent record of that artists piece, and people think every subsequent record should sound like the one they have been familiar with for 30 years or longer. Life doesnt work that way. People and their interests change. NP isn't the same musician, let alone the same man he was 30 years ago. But he is always looking to evolve or try something different. Hell...the entire band has always done this too. As for writing ability, if every song sounded the same, then no one would buy records, and artists would get bored and give up.

Agreed. 

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #2532 on: April 25, 2012, 08:45:09 AM »
Tempus Vox:

And, to me, this is a MAJOR reason why i am disappointed by Headlong Flight.  To me it sounds like devolution, rather than moving forward. 

What makes Rush so profound is that they were always trying new things and evolving.  That evolution, to this pair of ears, seems to have ground to a tortoise-pace in the mid-90's. 

As for NP, his drumming evolution seems to have done the same.  Roll the Bones, in my opinion, is the greatest drum recorded performance of the modern era.  In terms of skill, finesse, composition, feel, serving-the-song, virtuosity, maturity and breadth, it stands above the rest.  (RTB arguably also has the best lyrics that NP has ever written.  Yes, too bad the thin production cloaks much of the mastery).

I don't see this at odds with what i said previously: 
  At the same time, he can do things now that he couldn't do 10yrs, 20yrs ago.  He's rounded out his skill set quite a bit as he continues to learn and grow.  A master musician never stops learning.

I think a musician (or any artist) can peak, but still continue to learn and grow.  Almost no artist peaks the day before they die. 

Anyway, that's how i feel about it.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 10:33:43 AM by dbrooks22 »

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #2533 on: April 25, 2012, 09:05:42 AM »
And, to me, this is a MAJOR reason why i am so disappointed by Headlong Flight.  To me it sounds like devolution, rather than moving forward. 

One thing about this - it may very well be that my brain is just too small to hear the evolution.  I exchanged some emails with someone over at RIAB a few days ago.  What he had to say was very interesting:

"What I was referring to is Rush's use of the tritone (an augmented fourth interval) in these songs.  In modern music, this interval is thought to have been first popularized by Wagner in the famous Tristan and Isolde chord.  You can hear this in the recent movie "Meloncholia," which often repeats the section from "Tristan" that uses this chord.  In the Middle Ages, the augmented fourth was thought to be a particularly discordant interval, inasmuch as it did not sound consonant with the usual diatonic scale.  If you are not familiar with this interval, you can hear it in West Side Story: the augmented fourth is sung in "Mari-ia", between the a- and the -ri."  The augmented fourth is thought to be the gateway to a 12-tone scale, wherein a song might use not only the notes in a major or minor scale, but all 12 notes in an octave (between a C and a C an octave higher on a piano keyboard).

What I was saying about Good News First, and part of the chorus of Headlong Flight, is that Rush is playing off this augmented fourth.  I was playing around with the idea that they, like Bach and Mozart, could be leaning toward the use of a 12 tone scale in rock music, which would be really exciting.  It was just a thought, and I threw it out there to see if anyone else might agree or disprove my conjecture.  I hope that this makes sense, and that you are enjoying the new Rush music!"

« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 10:33:20 AM by dbrooks22 »

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2534 on: April 27, 2012, 08:33:56 AM »
God damn, had forgotten that Wells Fargo Center (which does its own ticketing) is just as bad if not worse than Ticketmaster.

$86 for two tickets, and $37 in charges.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2535 on: April 27, 2012, 10:13:23 AM »
God damn, had forgotten that Wells Fargo Center (which does its own ticketing) is just as bad if not worse than Ticketmaster.

$86 for two tickets, and $37 in charges.

Where are your seats at Nick?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2536 on: April 27, 2012, 10:23:23 AM »
Section 210 row 2

Funny thing is, I had initially planned to just check every once in awhile and eventually get tickets I liked. Decided to log on this morning and check a half hour after tickets went on sale, checked the $63 seats first and was given 7th row, decided to check what was available for $43 and got 2nd row. :lol

I had originally planned to try and get a section closer to the stage on the side, but for the cheapest price and 2nd row I said fuck it and took it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2537 on: April 28, 2012, 08:50:10 AM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2538 on: April 28, 2012, 09:24:16 AM »
Love the Alex as Snookie. :lol

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2539 on: April 28, 2012, 10:35:26 AM »
I don't get these pictures.  ???

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2540 on: April 28, 2012, 12:52:53 PM »
Where did those pictures come from,   are they official?

cause they are funny as hell.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2541 on: April 28, 2012, 01:22:54 PM »

It's from the last tourbook folks.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2542 on: April 28, 2012, 01:59:35 PM »

It's from the last tourbook folks.

Looks like I'm buying tourbooks from now on.

Offline showdonttell

• So energy! Powah!
« Reply #2543 on: April 29, 2012, 10:48:00 AM »
And, to me, this is a MAJOR reason why i am so disappointed by Headlong Flight.  To me it sounds like devolution, rather than moving forward. 

One thing about this - it may very well be that my brain is just too small to hear the evolution.  I exchanged some emails with someone over at RIAB a few days ago.  What he had to say was very interesting:

"What I was referring to is Rush's use of the tritone (an augmented fourth interval) in these songs.  In modern music, this interval is thought to have been first popularized by Wagner in the famous Tristan and Isolde chord.  You can hear this in the recent movie "Meloncholia," which often repeats the section from "Tristan" that uses this chord.  In the Middle Ages, the augmented fourth was thought to be a particularly discordant interval, inasmuch as it did not sound consonant with the usual diatonic scale.  If you are not familiar with this interval, you can hear it in West Side Story: the augmented fourth is sung in "Mari-ia", between the a- and the -ri."  The augmented fourth is thought to be the gateway to a 12-tone scale, wherein a song might use not only the notes in a major or minor scale, but all 12 notes in an octave (between a C and a C an octave higher on a piano keyboard).

What I was saying about Good News First, and part of the chorus of Headlong Flight, is that Rush is playing off this augmented fourth.  I was playing around with the idea that they, like Bach and Mozart, could be leaning toward the use of a 12 tone scale in rock music, which would be really exciting.  It was just a thought, and I threw it out there to see if anyone else might agree or disprove my conjecture.  I hope that this makes sense, and that you are enjoying the new Rush music!"

Interesting. Though Rush has used the tritone before (like in "Chain Lightning").

To me, it's hard to tell if they have really changed their sound on this record, judging from one song (three, if you count "Caravan" and "BU2B"). It seems that, from these ears, they did make a step from Snakes & Arrows. It is different. We have to remember, though, that the sound that they have is probably an attempt to reference their past records and past styles, with Clockwork Angels' main theme being time. "Headlong Flight" has an almost direct reference to "Bastille Day" in it. Just a thought.
https://www.last.fm/user/kokocijo

So, I'm chasing these doves down the street and she's screaming at the top of her lungs, and then when the magician comes back from Europe, two of them turned brown!  Well I followed the instructions!

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #2544 on: May 01, 2012, 04:59:08 PM »
I'm sure that many Rushies already know about the following, but i am posting it for those who don't:

https://www.rushradio.org/content.php?pagename=Listen

Rush Radio - streaming online since 1998.  It's great - i listen all the time.  Great contrast between old and new.  Just heard Bastille Day followed by Emotion Detector.   Earlier it was Alien Shore followed by Hemispheres. 

Really great resource for Rushies.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2545 on: May 01, 2012, 05:02:49 PM »
I just put Caress of Steel on the turntable and I just gotta say: Lakeside Park is one of my favorite Rush tunes. I love the tone and lyrics of song and the way it plays. Excellent song and I feel like I may be in the minority here
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2546 on: May 01, 2012, 06:08:58 PM »
^^ InB4 Necromancer is the greatest song ever.

oh btw, Necromancer is the greatest song ever.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #2547 on: May 01, 2012, 11:56:08 PM »
"The Necromancer" is definitely a top 10, if not a top 5, Rush song for me.  And it's like the birthplace of progressive metal.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #2548 on: May 02, 2012, 12:01:37 AM »
^^ InB4 Necromancer is the greatest song ever.

oh btw, Necromancer is the greatest song ever.
Actually, you weren't inb4 "necromancer is the greatest song ever".

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2549 on: May 06, 2012, 10:24:03 PM »
I'm sure that many Rushies already know about the following, but i am posting it for those who don't:

https://www.rushradio.org/content.php?pagename=Listen

Rush Radio - streaming online since 1998.  It's great - i listen all the time.  Great contrast between old and new.  Just heard Bastille Day followed by Emotion Detector.   Earlier it was Alien Shore followed by Hemispheres. 

Really great resource for Rushies.

I listen to this a few times a month for the randomness of it jus to mix things up. (I always play albums all of the way through.)

They also swap a few popular bootlegs in and out at random too to keep things a little fresher. I wish they'd add random period interview clips in there too, but I guess you can't have everything. (Where would you put it?)

Been on a Vapor Trails kick lately. Ten years on and still kicking my ass. It's lost none of the immediacy from when I first heard it and it's as raw as ever.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 09:00:06 AM by cyberdrummer »

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2551 on: May 07, 2012, 09:02:01 AM »
I read the review for 4 tracks and I had to stop. I want to listen to this album so bad right now.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2552 on: May 07, 2012, 09:35:54 AM »
Preconceived notions always cause trouble for me, so I'm just gonna hold off on reading that review.

I did look at Caravan and BU2B for the hell of it and by the way they described it, I pictured completely different songs. 

and on a side note, I wouldn't mind if they did some snippets.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 09:44:07 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2553 on: May 07, 2012, 09:50:58 AM »
I skimmed some of those songs reviews, but don't want too much spoiled, so I stopped.

On to the tour, if we can assume about 25 songs again, I think the following is a pretty good guess:

7-8 songs from the new album
5-7 "must play" classics - Tom Sawyer, 2112, The Spirit of Radio, Limelight, YYZ and maybe both Closer to the Heart and Freewill stay around as well
2-3 surprises that are hard to predict
maybe 2-3 from Signals since it is its 30th anniversary - Subdivision, The Analog Kid and maybe New World Man
2 songs from S&A - Far Cry and maybe MalNar comes back
I think they'll bring back one of the first three songs from Roll the Bones
Xanadu comes back
1-2 songs from P/G, PoW and HYF - maybe The Big Money or Force Ten returns, or maybe one of the 2-3 surprises from above is something rare or obscure like Open Secrets, Middletown Dreams or The Enemy Within
Maybe something from Presto or Counterparts - I could see The Pass or Animate coming back for a tour

And I'd love to see them play 2112 and a 2012 medley back to back, the medley being similar to the R30 Overture where they play a bunch of instrumental bits from really old songs that they don't play anymore cause they are too hard for Geddy to sing.  Bust out a 10-minute medley of bits from Bastille Day, A Farewell to Kings, What You're Doing, and maybe even a tease of The Necromancer, and the old time fans would go bonkers.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2554 on: May 07, 2012, 10:09:46 AM »
The Pass NEEDS to come back.