Author Topic: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels  (Read 508703 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels
« Reply #2485 on: April 22, 2012, 04:41:39 PM »
Got to say that 2002 was very emotional.  I think you felt that too.  The tailgating we did waiting for the show was electric.  Most fans in the back of our minds wondered if we'd ever see a show again.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2486 on: April 22, 2012, 05:17:12 PM »
After a couple of listens to the new song I'm gonna do what DTF loves most, a Ranking!

Caravan
Headlong Flight
BU2B
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2487 on: April 22, 2012, 05:46:37 PM »
1. Headlong flight
2. BU2B
3. Caravan

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2488 on: April 22, 2012, 06:05:56 PM »
My sister and best friend have both paid me for a ticket, opening night here I come!!!

Because it's the three of us we'll likely just get a cheap motel somewhere, possibly stopping in Boston on Saturday to check the city out on the way home.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #2489 on: April 22, 2012, 06:22:00 PM »
1. Caravan
2. Headlong Flight
3. BU2B

But they're all very good.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2490 on: April 22, 2012, 06:23:58 PM »
I've listened to the new song all of 2 times, but for now...

1. Caravan
2. BU2B
3. Headlong Flight
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2491 on: April 22, 2012, 08:12:55 PM »
With the tour now announced, can we assume that if there was any credibility to the symphony, or any album being played in full, that it would have been announced with the rest of the tour info?

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #2492 on: April 22, 2012, 08:15:10 PM »
I'm sure that's the case. If Rush (or any band, honestly) tours with a gimmick, they'll reveal the gimmick at the get-go to sell tickets.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2493 on: April 22, 2012, 09:55:50 PM »
With the tour now announced, can we assume that if there was any credibility to the symphony, or any album being played in full, that it would have been announced with the rest of the tour info?

That is a safe assumption.  We can now hopefully put aside the foolish notions that they'd play all of Signals or tour with an orchestra, both of which I said were very unlikely. 

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2494 on: April 22, 2012, 09:59:18 PM »

That is a safe assumption.  We can now hopefully put aside the foolish notions that they'd play all of Signals or tour with an orchestra, both of which I said were very unlikely. 

The symphony I could see, but Signals just didn't make sense to me other than it came right after Moving Pictures.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2495 on: April 23, 2012, 08:38:45 AM »

The symphony I could see, but Signals just didn't make sense to me other than it came right after Moving Pictures.

Yeah but... "Losing It" with STRINGS!!! LIVE!!!!

:-[ Oh well, we can dream, can't we?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2496 on: April 23, 2012, 09:50:40 AM »
10 minutes...

Not going to have computer access for the Citi pre-sale tomorrow, so this is my only major shot at good seats prior to Friday's general on sale.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2497 on: April 23, 2012, 09:57:47 AM »
2 minutes to go.

Happy hunting. (If only they would tell you exactly where the seats were for VIP) :sad:
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 10:07:21 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2498 on: April 23, 2012, 10:27:59 AM »
Just scored 10th Row  :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #2499 on: April 23, 2012, 10:51:04 AM »
did you score 10th row at 12:27pm???

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2500 on: April 23, 2012, 10:56:49 AM »
did you score 10th row at 12:27pm???

Damn how did you know?

It was right around that time. For the first 20 minutes it kept saying "no seats available" and then a couple 10th rows and 9th rows popped and I jumped on the 10th since its near the center on Alex's side.

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #2501 on: April 23, 2012, 11:02:55 AM »
your post was at 12:27

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2502 on: April 23, 2012, 11:05:33 AM »
your post was at 12:27

:facepalm:

My bad. My heart is still racing and I'm still a little in shock, so I cant' even think strait  :lol

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #2503 on: April 23, 2012, 11:08:59 AM »
I wonder how/why they do that?  I mean, for the first 20 minutes there were no seats available (even as soon as 12:01).

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2504 on: April 23, 2012, 12:39:07 PM »
I pulled 16th row somewhat early on, kept trying for better and ended up settling for 21st row. Oh well, it's going to be insane in any case, and I'll be ditching this thread a week or two before the tour so I don't even hear any rehearsal rumors of what they might be playing.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2505 on: April 23, 2012, 12:46:04 PM »
I pulled 16th row somewhat early on, kept trying for better and ended up settling for 21st row. Oh well, it's going to be insane in any case, and I'll be ditching this thread a week or two before the tour so I don't even hear any rehearsal rumors of what they might be playing.

That makes two of us. I want this to be a complete surprise.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #2506 on: April 23, 2012, 02:15:15 PM »
I saw there's a livenation presale Wednesday, does anyone know if u can get that at a venue that's not near u?
I live near sf but will be going to the Philly show, so I didn't know if I could get a presale for Philly while living here...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2507 on: April 23, 2012, 10:08:26 PM »
Headlong Flight is now available on iTunes.  Yes, I bought it. :biggrin:

The HQ mp3 already sounds significantly better than the original stream or any of the youtube links that had surfaced since.  :metal

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #2508 on: April 23, 2012, 10:22:22 PM »
Just watched Beyond The Lighted Stage again.

God, I love that documentary.  Just gets me pumped and wanting to listen to some Rush again.

Offline Nofire

« Reply #2509 on: April 24, 2012, 12:43:06 AM »

The HQ mp3 already sounds significantly better than the original stream or any of the youtube links that had surfaced since.  :metal

Is Headlong Flight only available in the US on iTunes? I can't find it in Germany  :-[
Trapped inside this Octavarium

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2510 on: April 24, 2012, 04:03:19 AM »

Its pretty cool that CA has its on custom made Itunes page. If only it had previews for all the songs.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2511 on: April 24, 2012, 08:17:05 AM »

I thought you were not going to buy it?  I KNEW IT!! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2512 on: April 24, 2012, 08:27:28 AM »
I never said that.  All I said was:

Even better news.  The full song will be released as a digital single.  Woot!!!

https://www.rushisaband.com/blog/2012/04/15/3064/Headlong-Flight-single-cover-art-revealed-full-version-available-for-download-April-24th

So people can pay for a song that they will pay for again when the whole album comes out? :P

I don't think spending an extra $1.29 on Rush will break me. :biggrin:

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2513 on: April 24, 2012, 08:40:00 AM »
Got my "Headlong Flight" mp3 for FREE on Amazon because I had a free-download credit for ordering on there a couple weeks ago! WOOHOO!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #2514 on: April 24, 2012, 09:41:27 AM »
Got my "Headlong Flight" mp3 for FREE on Amazon because I had a free-download credit for ordering on there a couple weeks ago! WOOHOO!

-Marc.
Dude, thanks for reminding me. I had an mp3 credit I completely forgot about. It couldn't have been put to better use if I had tried.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2515 on: April 24, 2012, 10:50:02 AM »
Gah, I suppose I will have to dig through my email trash bin. I get those MP3 credits all the time and just ignore them, but I'd use one on this.

Interesting Kev side note: Last time I used one was to be able to get Neal's T2 2nd disc early.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2516 on: April 24, 2012, 11:06:43 AM »
Nice, found I do have some MP3 credits in my account, will buy when I get home.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2517 on: April 24, 2012, 11:09:28 AM »
Gah, I suppose I will have to dig through my email trash bin.

You shouldn't have to.  I never have to enter a code to use them as they automatically credit my account when I buy an MP3.

You can check to see if a credit is on your account by going to an Amazon Prime video like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OHK7CS/ref=s9_al_bw_g318_ir05?ie=UTF8&redirect=true

and then you should see a link just under the video player that says "View Balance".  That should show you all you MP3 credits.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2518 on: April 24, 2012, 11:09:58 AM »
Oops, I see you already figured it out.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2519 on: April 24, 2012, 03:11:22 PM »
Gosh - where do i begin?

No vocal melody
No hook
wall of guitars that show no nuance or refinement - Alex is much better than this
Forgettable verses
Loud - back in junior high, kids used to play loud and fast to cover up the fact that they had no chops.  This sounds like they are playing loud and fast to cover up the fact that they are old, or to cover up that they have forgotten how to write songs. 

And i don't buy the "leave them alone - they are 60yrs old!" argument.  Each of them has repeatedly said they are currently playing at their peak.

Look - if it sounds like i am picking on them too much, it is because i am so disappointed.  Rush is my favorite band of all time by a factor of 100X.  I have to compare this to their existing catalog, which in my opinion is the greatest canon of music of the past 50yrs.  And in that context, this "song" does not measure up.  I don't think it even registers.

Okay, but no one actually believes that.  And most musicians always think they are at their peak, regardless of age.  What are they gonna say?  "Well, we can't play like we used to, but we can still play good enough, so please buy our record?" :lol 

I think this will sound a lot better once we hear it in HQ.  It sounds too muddy now, but you can tell it will sound much better when we hear the regular version.

Regarding playing at their "peak," it's an interesting question.  I don't believe it myself, but i actually think many people do.  I am a drummer, so i can hear Neil's age in his playing.  At the same time, he can do things now that he couldn't do 10yrs, 20yrs ago.  He's rounded out his skill set quite a bit as he continues to learn and grow.  A master musician never stops learning.  But most people can hear that he his drumming lacks the youthful vibrance it once had.  I personally think he peaked around 1991.

As far as Alex and Geddy - i don't have the knowledge to make an accurate opinion.  I will say that on the R30 tour, Alex was the star of the show for me.  And Geddy seems to be able to play as well as he ever has, if not very close to it. 

As far as their writing ability, i don't think anyone here would argue that it isn't what it once was.  That's the part that i have the most trouble accepting, because i can't find an intuitive reason why musicians (or writers) should lose their ability to write profoundly as they get older.  In Rush's case, i think most people on this board will agree that it started happening in the mid 90's, if not sooner.  They were still in their early-mid 40's at that point.

Brooks...interesting that you think NP peaked around' 90. In conversations I had with him he has told me he didn't actually take his drumming that seriously until around 95-96. Also don't forget that he also walked away from his drums for a while there. For a loooong time he wouldnt even walk into a room where there were drums. And Ged has shared similar things with me as well. NP has always played to his own satisfaction, and no one elses. He has continued to grow and learn and EVOLVE as a musician. People often forget that a recorded song that moves them is a permanent record of that artists piece, and people think every subsequent record should sound like the one they have been familiar with for 30 years or longer. Life doesnt work that way. People and their interests change. NP isn't the same musician, let alone the same man he was 30 years ago. But he is always looking to evolve or try something different. Hell...the entire band has always done this too. As for writing ability, if every song sounded the same, then no one would buy records, and artists would get bored and give up. (Of course, this unfortunately doesn't apply to guys like Kid Rock for some damn reason.  :P )
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 08:46:17 PM by TempusVox »
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."