Author Topic: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels  (Read 508337 times)

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
Re: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels
« Reply #2450 on: April 18, 2012, 11:56:25 PM »
DAT BASS.  :metal
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2451 on: April 19, 2012, 04:47:02 AM »
Looks like some of the tickets are going on sale April 27th (according to their website).

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2452 on: April 19, 2012, 06:58:53 AM »
www.rush.com now has official tour dates and a lyric video for Headlong Flight.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #2453 on: April 19, 2012, 07:28:53 AM »
Gosh - where do i begin?

No vocal melody
No hook
wall of guitars that show no nuance or refinement - Alex is much better than this
Forgettable verses
Loud - back in junior high, kids used to play loud and fast to cover up the fact that they had no chops.  This sounds like they are playing loud and fast to cover up the fact that they are old, or to cover up that they have forgotten how to write songs. 

And i don't buy the "leave them alone - they are 60yrs old!" argument.  Each of them has repeatedly said they are currently playing at their peak.

Look - if it sounds like i am picking on them too much, it is because i am so disappointed.  Rush is my favorite band of all time by a factor of 100X.  I have to compare this to their existing catalog, which in my opinion is the greatest canon of music of the past 50yrs.  And in that context, this "song" does not measure up.  I don't think it even registers.

Okay, but no one actually believes that.  And most musicians always think they are at their peak, regardless of age.  What are they gonna say?  "Well, we can't play like we used to, but we can still play good enough, so please buy our record?" :lol 

I think this will sound a lot better once we hear it in HQ.  It sounds too muddy now, but you can tell it will sound much better when we hear the regular version.

Regarding playing at their "peak," it's an interesting question.  I don't believe it myself, but i actually think many people do.  I am a drummer, so i can hear Neil's age in his playing.  At the same time, he can do things now that he couldn't do 10yrs, 20yrs ago.  He's rounded out his skill set quite a bit as he continues to learn and grow.  A master musician never stops learning.  But most people can hear that he his drumming lacks the youthful vibrance it once had.  I personally think he peaked around 1991.

As far as Alex and Geddy - i don't have the knowledge to make an accurate opinion.  I will say that on the R30 tour, Alex was the star of the show for me.  And Geddy seems to be able to play as well as he ever has, if not very close to it. 

As far as their writing ability, i don't think anyone here would argue that it isn't what it once was.  That's the part that i have the most trouble accepting, because i can't find an intuitive reason why musicians (or writers) should lose their ability to write profoundly as they get older.  In Rush's case, i think most people on this board will agree that it started happening in the mid 90's, if not sooner.  They were still in their early-mid 40's at that point.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2454 on: April 19, 2012, 07:40:29 AM »
Gosh - where do i begin?

No vocal melody
No hook
wall of guitars that show no nuance or refinement - Alex is much better than this
Forgettable verses
Loud - back in junior high, kids used to play loud and fast to cover up the fact that they had no chops.  This sounds like they are playing loud and fast to cover up the fact that they are old, or to cover up that they have forgotten how to write songs. 

And i don't buy the "leave them alone - they are 60yrs old!" argument.  Each of them has repeatedly said they are currently playing at their peak.

Look - if it sounds like i am picking on them too much, it is because i am so disappointed.  Rush is my favorite band of all time by a factor of 100X.  I have to compare this to their existing catalog, which in my opinion is the greatest canon of music of the past 50yrs.  And in that context, this "song" does not measure up.  I don't think it even registers.

Okay, but no one actually believes that.  And most musicians always think they are at their peak, regardless of age.  What are they gonna say?  "Well, we can't play like we used to, but we can still play good enough, so please buy our record?" :lol 

I think this will sound a lot better once we hear it in HQ.  It sounds too muddy now, but you can tell it will sound much better when we hear the regular version.
That's the part that i have the most trouble accepting, because i can't find an intuitive reason why musicians (or writers) should lose their ability to write profoundly as they get older.

There could be plenty of reasons, maybe they have just run out of ideas, it could very well be possible after all the albums that they have released.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2455 on: April 19, 2012, 07:49:59 AM »
Official lyrics video (music is better quality too):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZcFGrWjOX0E

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2456 on: April 19, 2012, 08:27:28 AM »
Love the song.  And that YT clip was much cleaner than the Rolling Stone one.  Can't wait for the album!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2457 on: April 19, 2012, 08:30:03 AM »
Love the song.  And that YT clip was much cleaner than the Rolling Stone one.  Can't wait for the album!

Nice, I might actually listen a few times then. :D
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline TL

« Reply #2458 on: April 19, 2012, 08:39:10 AM »
As far as their writing ability, i don't think anyone here would argue that it isn't what it once was.  That's the part that i have the most trouble accepting, because i can't find an intuitive reason why musicians (or writers) should lose their ability to write profoundly as they get older.  In Rush's case, i think most people on this board will agree that it started happening in the mid 90's, if not sooner.  They were still in their early-mid 40's at that point.
See, but this would imply that Hold Your Fire is better than Snakes and Arrows, which is definitely not the case.

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #2459 on: April 19, 2012, 08:42:28 AM »
YT clip is much cleaner indeed.  And HYF vs. S&A is close, but i would have to go with HYF.  Force Ten and Mission are better than any track on S&A.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2460 on: April 19, 2012, 08:45:08 AM »
HYF's highs are way higher than S&A's highs, so I give the nod to Hold Your Fire.  It is close, though. 

Really, for me, after the top 7 of 2112 through MP, Power Windows and Counterparts, it is hard to put the next 5 of Signals, Grace Under Pressure, Hold Your Fire, Roll the Bones and Snakes & Arrows in a specific order.  Caress of Steel has been creeping back up as well, to where I might put it higher than I used to.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2461 on: April 19, 2012, 08:50:13 AM »
Yeah, Hold your fire and Snakes and arrows are very close, both my lesser favorite Rush albums. Hold your fire has a couple more tracks that stand out, though, and I can actually get through it.

Offline TL

« Reply #2462 on: April 19, 2012, 10:02:23 AM »
Well that comparison didn't go as I'd intended. I have honestly never thought of HYF and Snakes and Arrows as being anywhere close to each other in quality.
For me, HYF has a few good tracks, while Snakes and Arrows is fantastic more or less the entire way through.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2463 on: April 19, 2012, 10:12:49 AM »
Holy shiiitttttt... new song  :omg: :heart

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2464 on: April 19, 2012, 10:31:17 AM »
So I'm thinking about getting the VIP package this time around.

Has anybody gotten them before and are they worth it?

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2465 on: April 19, 2012, 10:42:48 AM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2466 on: April 19, 2012, 10:50:35 AM »

I'd say no. I got the package and got 4th row, which was amazing, but the package itself (which is $200 over front section price last time) was not worth it. The "limited tour poster" was a random fucking Fly By Night poster, and the "Special limited tour shirt" was just a fucking shirt with Rush on the front. Total rip off. What I'd suggest, if you want to spend the extra money, just go on ebay and pay an extra $100 or so for a really good seat.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2467 on: April 19, 2012, 11:08:23 AM »
Agreed.  The VIP thing was not worth it.  Friends of ours got seats two rows behind us last time (we were 13th row center; they were 15th) by getting through TM, so good seats can be had without doing the VIP thing.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #2468 on: April 19, 2012, 11:48:14 AM »
I actually like that song quite a bit.  Haven't said that about too many Rush songs in a long time.   :metal

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2469 on: April 19, 2012, 02:14:48 PM »
See, but this would imply that Hold Your Fire is better than Snakes and Arrows, which is definitely not the case.

not in my world. not even close.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2470 on: April 19, 2012, 02:57:23 PM »
HYF has better songs, but S&A is far more consistent as an album.

As for the new single, I'm already starting to figure out how to play the song on bass.  That opening melody is really fun to play.  :biggrin:

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #2471 on: April 19, 2012, 04:41:27 PM »
Why is it that tickets go on sale when I'm financially not able to get tickets.  I'm going to try this time around though... I'm so pumped up for this.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2472 on: April 19, 2012, 05:40:25 PM »
Why is it that tickets go on sale when I'm financially not able to get tickets.  I'm going to try this time around though... I'm so pumped up for this.

Yeah I know. When I heard them say Fall Tour, my thoughts were "cool, now I can save money all summer and get tickets", but how wrong was I. Regardless, this is an experience of a life time that I must see.

Offline SeventhSon

« Reply #2473 on: April 19, 2012, 06:57:23 PM »
In keeping with the 2112 reference, further examination of the new album cover reveals that the hands of the clock aren't moving.

TIME STAND STILL

[/NUGGETZ]

Offline TL

« Reply #2474 on: April 20, 2012, 10:02:11 AM »
I already liked Headlong Flight when I first heard it, and it has grown on me since. This is going to be a great album.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2475 on: April 20, 2012, 05:59:24 PM »
What do you guys think of this cover of Red Sector A?  I like it a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUz-dZ4dzKg
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #2476 on: April 20, 2012, 10:34:13 PM »

As you age, you lose your boldness, you become more aware of - and afraid of - ridiculousness.  The young are more focused, more consumed.  Many writers - you could look at Longfellow, or Hemingway, or Faulkner, or Dickens - have their most acclaimed literary triumphs early to mid career, and then gently fade, producing less ambitious but nevertheless polished works.

Or, they kill themselves.

After a band, or musician, peaks, there is often a fairly predictable pattern wherein the performer grows increasingly bombastic, then selects an alternative genre to dabble in, then does "back to the roots", and then a final hurrah.  Close curtain.

I sometimes think about these things in my own writing, which is occasionally for profit, typically for personal or fraternal pleasure, and always for fun.  I wrote more ambitiously, more fearlessly 20 years ago.  Now my writing has become measured and more pithy, just as I am as a human being. 

Did you know that Emily Dickinson wrote the majority of her poems during a 5 year period while in her 30's?
It's the Internet.  Everything everybody says, no matter how factual-sounding, is opinion.

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #2477 on: April 21, 2012, 06:20:57 AM »
I actually recently read an interview with Trey Parker and Matt Stone of Southpark about this.  From the New York Times:

"A decade ago, Trey, you said that you couldn’t point to anyone who sustained their creativity into their 30s or 40s. You’re about to turn 42.

Parker: I totally still think that. We’ve been writing “Book of Mormon” for seven years, and the best work on it was when we were still in our 30s.

You’re messing with me.

Parker: No, honestly. I think intellectually I’m a way better writer than I was, but in terms of coming up with stuff, it’s definitely dying. I can feel myself dying inside.

Stone: I can feel the instrument blunting. I don’t know if we could create “South Park” today. We have it, and it’s cool to build upon. But creating it? That takes the energy of a 25-year-old."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2478 on: April 21, 2012, 09:13:49 AM »

It doesn't imply that at all.  Artists can show a general upward or downward trend, and there's usually a peak period that most would agree is their best, but it's not an absolute scale.  You can produce something in your prime which people generally don't regard as highly, and you can still come up with something amazing during a period when others have essentially written you off.  Snakes and Arrows cannot and should not be assumed to be "worse" just because it came later.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2479 on: April 21, 2012, 09:34:42 AM »
I actually recently read an interview with Trey Parker and Matt Stone of Southpark about this.  From the New York Times:

"A decade ago, Trey, you said that you couldn’t point to anyone who sustained their creativity into their 30s or 40s. You’re about to turn 42.

Parker: I totally still think that. We’ve been writing “Book of Mormon” for seven years, and the best work on it was when we were still in our 30s.

You’re messing with me.

Parker: No, honestly. I think intellectually I’m a way better writer than I was, but in terms of coming up with stuff, it’s definitely dying. I can feel myself dying inside.

Stone: I can feel the instrument blunting. I don’t know if we could create “South Park” today. We have it, and it’s cool to build upon. But creating it? That takes the energy of a 25-year-old."

Makes me think of the song "Losing It"
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2480 on: April 22, 2012, 03:04:50 PM »
Fhxufhrbchdud can't listen till like 4pm.

Anyone find it somewhat odd that rolling stone of all places got this stream? They spent decades either ignoring or shitting on Rush.

Rolling Stone isn't above exploiting the huge fan base for the website clicks. That's all this is really about.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2481 on: April 22, 2012, 03:07:52 PM »
I probably won't listen to this track much. Just comparing the track to the sample the sound quality on the full song is horrid. Rather not have my opinions on the track hindered by horrible sound.

Damnit Nick!  Stop thinking what I'm thinking!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2482 on: April 22, 2012, 03:26:43 PM »

I'd say no. I got the package and got 4th row, which was amazing, but the package itself (which is $200 over front section price last time) was not worth it. The "limited tour poster" was a random fucking Fly By Night poster, and the "Special limited tour shirt" was just a fucking shirt with Rush on the front. Total rip off. What I'd suggest, if you want to spend the extra money, just go on ebay and pay an extra $100 or so for a really good seat.

I'll take that Fly By Night poster off your hands, Nick. I'm sure I can find something you might want more.

It would be REALLY nice to go to opening night, but as it's gotten to the point where I can only go once (or twice if I'm luck) a leg, my choices are clearly Newark and Philly.

If I'm limited to only once this time, I'd trade the awesome atmosphere of an opening night in exchange for the band humming on all cylinders. Not an easy choice. If opening night were in say...Albany, I'd try a little harder to try and make this work.

Depends if the convenience of Newark is worth it the increase in cost.

Given the cost of this excursion, I may just wait and hit one show this leg and one show next leg when they might change up a song or two.

But I've got my stockpile of lubricant and I guess I'm ready to endure the Rush ticket buying experience once again.

History shows that If I waited, I'd be able to get the seats I want on the day of the show, but I think I'm still too much of a chicken to try it.

Kind of sucks that I might have to miss Dream Theater and what is essentially King Crimson for this but......

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2483 on: April 22, 2012, 04:08:54 PM »
Well, this will be my 3rd opening night seeing Rush

1985 -- Power Windows Tour -- Maine
2002 -- Vapor Trailers Tour -- CT
2012  --Clockwork Angels Tour NH

Very lucky.  Met Geddy on the Power Windows tour and I loves the sign on their tour bus in the front.  it said, "Nobody Important." :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2484 on: April 22, 2012, 04:35:49 PM »
Well, this will be my 3rd opening night seeing Rush

1985 -- Power Windows Tour -- Maine
2002 -- Vapor Trailers Tour -- CT
2012  --Clockwork Angels Tour NH

Very lucky.  Met Geddy on the Power Windows tour and I loves the sign on their tour bus in the front.  it said, "Nobody Important." :lol

You're one up on me.

I've got:

1996 Test For Echo -- Albany, NY
2002 Vapor Trails -- Hartford, CT

I know this will be a pretty special one too. You cannot beat the atmosphere if you get there early and just take it all in.
There a special electricity in the crowd too that even the Internet can't kill (Unless someone stakes out the dress rehersal and leaks it the day before.)