Author Topic: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels  (Read 507925 times)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels
« Reply #2170 on: March 26, 2012, 09:57:20 AM »
Living in Toronto, and spending lots of time on a plane, anyone who wants one, let me know.  I regularly fly to San Antonio, Denver, Phoenix, Vegas for work.

Yeah right
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #2171 on: March 26, 2012, 09:58:18 AM »
Even though I didn't care for grunge, I have no problem admitting that the band liked it at the time, and was even influenced at times by it, but Stick It Out just doesn't sound like grunge.  The first time I heard that song and that riff, I thought, "Wow, they are harkening back to the heaviness of the early days." That riff is more Working Man than grunge or alt rock.

Yeah I agree with this (although I did/do love grunge).   That's why I asked what exactly made Stick It Out grunge.  To me it's just an up-tempo rock tune with a heavy dropped D riff.  I usually think of grunge as being much slower than that.  And the way ytserush and king explained it I thought they were implying that the guys were kind of giving in to pressure from their label or something to sound like what was hip at the time, which seemed out of character to me.  The fact that they actually, you know, listened to and dug grunge/alternative makes a lot more sense  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2172 on: March 26, 2012, 10:07:58 AM »
Living in Toronto, and spending lots of time on a plane, anyone who wants one, let me know.  I regularly fly to San Antonio, Denver, Phoenix, Vegas for work.

Yeah right

There are still a ton of conferences in Vegas.  Honestly, I've never been there purely for pleasure.  It's always a conference of some sort.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2173 on: March 26, 2012, 10:32:56 AM »
Even though I didn't care for grunge, I have no problem admitting that the band liked it at the time, and was even influenced at times by it, but Stick It Out just doesn't sound like grunge.  The first time I heard that song and that riff, I thought, "Wow, they are harkening back to the heaviness of the early days." That riff is more Working Man than grunge or alt rock.

Yeah I agree with this (although I did/do love grunge).   That's why I asked what exactly made Stick It Out grunge.  To me it's just an up-tempo rock tune with a heavy dropped D riff.  I usually think of grunge as being much slower than that.  And the way ytserush and king explained it I thought they were implying that the guys were kind of giving in to pressure from their label or something to sound like what was hip at the time, which seemed out of character to me.  The fact that they actually, you know, listened to and dug grunge/alternative makes a lot more sense  :lol

Not giving into pressure.  Just influenced by the times.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2174 on: March 26, 2012, 11:25:24 AM »

Wow, it took me a second to even figure out what you were talking about.  I worked for the airlines for ten years, and when I see "YYZ" it automatically gets translated in my head into "Toronto".  I thought "Ha ha, cool, 'cause Rush is from Toronto" -- completely missing the fact that "YYZ" is the name of a track from that album and is what most people think of first.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2175 on: March 28, 2012, 05:28:34 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2176 on: March 28, 2012, 05:40:43 PM »
April 19th can not come fast enough!!!!!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2177 on: March 28, 2012, 05:41:26 PM »
Schwing!!!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #2178 on: March 28, 2012, 06:07:36 PM »
From RIAB:

"Sorry I have been unable to post on here as I have been busy with work. Listening party happened a bit later than scheduled yesterday as it was more after 1 pm. I wasn't there but my friend was and he said if you would have wanted Rush albums in the 80s to have a harder edge then this is your record. The songs are like a winding journey and definitely has a more modern day concept feel to them. Keyboards are present on the record so if you loathe them, sorry! He didn't compare it to any particular album and that was a relief. He said just take 80 to 91 in a blender and that was it. Single should be out on or about April 1st. It is being sent to radio this weekend. My guess is this one doesn't leak. More as I hear more. It was basically a text conversation about it and I haven't had really the time to get in touch with him as he has other assignments."

Licking my chops, as 80 to 91 is my favorite Rush era.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2179 on: March 28, 2012, 06:20:46 PM »
"Headlong Flight" sounds pretty interesting! And clocking in at 7:30 long is amazing! It'll be their first track over 7 minutes in length since "The Camera Eye"! :metal

The next 8 weeks are gonna be excruciatingly long!!!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #2180 on: March 28, 2012, 06:44:03 PM »
Guh...  :eek

Must.  Not.  Mentally.  Overhype.  Album.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2181 on: March 28, 2012, 06:52:35 PM »
Its amazing how much the littlest information sends me into a fanboy frenzy for this album.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #2182 on: March 28, 2012, 06:59:55 PM »
80s Rush is the era I was introduced to first, and the era I love most. So this makes me very intrigued.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2183 on: March 28, 2012, 07:12:01 PM »
80s Rush is the era I was introduced to first, and the era I love most. So this makes me very intrigued.

Indeed, and it seems Nick Raskulinecz' insistence that the band channel their old roots has come to fruition if listeners are getting that vibe!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #2184 on: March 28, 2012, 07:14:12 PM »
"Headlong Flight" sounds pretty interesting! And clocking in at 7:30 long is amazing! It'll be their first track over 7 minutes in length since "The Camera Eye"! :metal

Wow, I totally hadn't noticed that......that is a long time......

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2185 on: March 28, 2012, 07:59:02 PM »
In non-Clockwork Angels-related discussion, does anyone else share my opinion that Different Stages is the best Rush live album? 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2186 on: March 28, 2012, 08:01:43 PM »
During that tour Sky, I felt Rush was getting back to what made them Rush and the tour was that good so I do feel that DS is the best live CD in my book.

I also agree that the littlest morsel sends me over the edge.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2187 on: March 28, 2012, 08:02:53 PM »
In non-Clockwork Angels-related discussion, does anyone else share my opinion that Different Stages is the best Rush live album?

Yes, I absolutely love it and that 3rd disc rocks hard as hell.

Rush in Rio is very close though.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2188 on: March 28, 2012, 08:04:37 PM »
Rush in Rio wins for crowd energy for sure, but I like Different Stages' setlist better. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2189 on: March 28, 2012, 11:31:06 PM »
If I had a nickel for every time I heard, "This Rush song or album is gonna song like this old Rush song or album," I'd be rolling in cash right now.  In other words, don't buy it.  Unless they are gonna somehow channel the headspace they were in 25-30 years ago, expecting this to sound like their 80s stuff, but with heavier guitars, is unrealistic.

But I am still excited as hell for this. :metal

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2190 on: March 28, 2012, 11:58:29 PM »
If I had a nickel for every time I heard, "This Rush song or album is gonna song like this old Rush song or album," I'd be rolling in cash right now.  In other words, don't buy it.  Unless they are gonna somehow channel the headspace they were in 25-30 years ago, expecting this to sound like their 80s stuff, but with heavier guitars, is unrealistic.

Do you think the new album will be simular to Snakes and Arrows in regards to song tempo and structure?

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2191 on: March 29, 2012, 05:34:52 AM »
Hopefully it will be better. Caravan and BU2B are light years ahead of every song on Snakes and arrows except for Far cry.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2192 on: March 29, 2012, 07:27:59 AM »
From RIAB:

"Sorry I have been unable to post on here as I have been busy with work. Listening party happened a bit later than scheduled yesterday as it was more after 1 pm. I wasn't there but my friend was and he said if you would have wanted Rush albums in the 80s to have a harder edge then this is your record. The songs are like a winding journey and definitely has a more modern day concept feel to them. Keyboards are present on the record so if you loathe them, sorry! He didn't compare it to any particular album and that was a relief. He said just take 80 to 91 in a blender and that was it. Single should be out on or about April 1st. It is being sent to radio this weekend. My guess is this one doesn't leak. More as I hear more. It was basically a text conversation about it and I haven't had really the time to get in touch with him as he has other assignments."

Licking my chops, as 80 to 91 is my favorite Rush era.

YES!!! I love the keyboards in Rush. This is gonna be a fantastic album.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #2193 on: March 29, 2012, 09:30:31 AM »

I love the DS setlist, but have a very hard time with the mix. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2194 on: March 29, 2012, 09:35:10 AM »

Do you think the new album will be simular to Snakes and Arrows in regards to song tempo and structure?

No idea.  It is impossible to know this, except to compare Caravan and BU2B to the S&A songs.  From the sound of things, they will be stretching out more on the new album, while most of S&A was pretty straight-forward and featured mid-tempo songs, so we shall see. 

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #2195 on: March 29, 2012, 09:35:20 AM »

I prefer Exit...Stage Left when I'm in a 70's Rush mood and A Show Of Hands when I'm feeling the 80's synth vibe.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2196 on: March 29, 2012, 09:37:07 AM »
As far as CD sets go, Different Stages is pretty awesome, and I'd put it in the upper half for sure, largely because the 3rd disc is godly.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2197 on: March 29, 2012, 09:39:08 AM »
All of the live albums from the last 20 years have the advantage of being really long, but it is hard to beat the energy, power and rawness of the first two live albums, All the World's a Stage and Exit...Stage Left. :metal

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2198 on: March 29, 2012, 09:41:39 AM »
Exit... Stage Left has energy? I'm sorry, but it's gotta be one of the driest live albums I've ever heard. The sound on it isn't poor quality wise, but it just comes across as soooo dry.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #2199 on: March 29, 2012, 09:43:46 AM »
Exit... Stage Left has energy? I'm sorry, but it's gotta be one of the driest live albums I've ever heard. The sound on it isn't poor quality wise, but it just comes across as soooo dry.

This, absolutely.  I love it, but not because of "energy".
It's the Internet.  Everything everybody says, no matter how factual-sounding, is opinion.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2200 on: March 29, 2012, 09:45:37 AM »

I agree - the fade-outs between tracks don't help the "live" feel of the album. It's more of a collection of live tracks tossed together, so it doesn't have consistent "live" energy across the whole album. I would prefer Different Stages over ESL just for that fact.

-Marc.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #2201 on: March 29, 2012, 09:45:57 AM »
Yeah it's one of those live records where the crowd is barely audible.  Whether that's a good thing or bad thing is up to the listener.  I just love the setlist and performances on it.  Jacob's Ladder and La Villa especially.  Oh yeah and Xanadu.  And Beneath, Between & Behind.  Ok I love the whole thing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2202 on: March 29, 2012, 09:50:41 AM »
I am talking about the energy of the band; their performances.  Little things like the flow and sound quality (which are more important on studio albums) cannot eliminate how much energy that live record has.  I mean, are we gonna knock Rush in Rio because Geddy's vocals are barely audible on the first few songs?  Of course not. 

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2203 on: March 29, 2012, 09:53:57 AM »

definately if we include the bonus disc from the 70s.

Offline TL

« Reply #2204 on: March 29, 2012, 10:14:46 AM »
It's interesting that they mentioned the album having an '80-91' vibe. If anything, Caravan and BU2B make me think of Counterparts.

Honestly, I'm going to go entirely off of what we actually hear from the new album rather than references to the past. Based on Caravan and BU2B, I have very high hopes for this album. I can't wait to hear Headlong Flight.