Author Topic: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels  (Read 508757 times)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Re: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels
« Reply #2135 on: March 23, 2012, 04:13:14 PM »
What is it about Stick it Out that makes it grunge?  Is it just because it's in dropped D?

That doesn't help timing wise (1993) and the guy that directed the video seemed to have them dress the part. (I realize that, ultimately, these are trappings to not really have a lot to do with the song)

They also dropped the names of Soundgarden, Alice in Chains and Pearl Jam when they were promoting influences for the album.

I wouldn't really call anything else on that album "grunge" at all, just that song.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2136 on: March 23, 2012, 04:18:30 PM »
Plus at the time with grunge, dry vocals(No effects) and drop tuning were in and Rush gave it a go.  I'm not as down as most but since it was the first released song I wore it out.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2137 on: March 23, 2012, 04:21:21 PM »
I think Stick It Out is an excellent song.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #2138 on: March 23, 2012, 04:22:42 PM »
What is it about Stick it Out that makes it grunge?  Is it just because it's in dropped D?

That doesn't help timing wise (1993) and the guy that directed the video seemed to have them dress the part. (I realize that, ultimately, these are trappings to not really have a lot to do with the song)

They also dropped the names of Soundgarden, Alice in Chains and Pearl Jam when they were promoting influences for the album.

I wouldn't really call anything else on that album "grunge" at all, just that song.

Plus at the time with grunge, dry vocals(No effects) and drop tuning were in and Rush gave it a go.  I'm not as down as most but since it was the first released song I wore it out.

Right on.  Seems kind of out of character for our boys to try and fit in with what was happening in the mainstream like that but whatever.  I still like that song.  :tup

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2139 on: March 23, 2012, 04:27:16 PM »
well in truth, Rush has always tried to play music of the times with their style.

Ska and punk music of the late 80's (Like the Police) = Vital Signs.

Keyboards and Electronic drums in the 80's

That sound we talked about for Counterparts and T4E

No solo's and the levels pushed to the max in the 2000's = Vapor Trails.

So Rush has always been influenced by the times.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #2140 on: March 23, 2012, 04:35:18 PM »
Yeah you know what I can kind of see that, especially with The Police.  Except the tune that always made me think of The Police was Distant Early Warning.  The intros to that song and Walking on the Moon have a very similar vibe to me.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2141 on: March 23, 2012, 04:37:53 PM »
Yup.  It's Rush but you can tell what they were listening to at the time.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2142 on: March 23, 2012, 04:43:17 PM »
Yup.  It's Rush but you can tell what they were listening to at the time.

They willingly admit they are musical sponges.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2143 on: March 23, 2012, 05:10:12 PM »
I loved it when they had the Police Influence.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2144 on: March 23, 2012, 05:12:41 PM »
I loved it when they had the Police Influence.

Same, one of the reasons I dig GUP so much.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2145 on: March 23, 2012, 05:17:13 PM »
Alex's guitar always sounded a lot like Andy Summers to me during that time.  I'm glad I'm not the only one who heard it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2146 on: March 23, 2012, 05:19:25 PM »
To me it's always been clear when listening to GUP what they were going for.

NP: Distance Early Warning.  Definite Walking on the Moon vibe in the intro as Ryzee said.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #2147 on: March 23, 2012, 05:23:05 PM »
I...I said something on DTF and people are acknowledging and agreeing with it!!!  I have arrived!!
 :omg:  :blush :D :coolio :smiley:

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2148 on: March 23, 2012, 05:23:13 PM »
Am I the only one who's antsy for the tracklist? Any idea of when we can expect it?
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2149 on: March 23, 2012, 05:31:23 PM »
I...I said something on DTF and people are acknowledging and agreeing with it!!!  I have arrived!!
 :omg:  :blush :D :coolio :smiley:

:lol wut?  Glad I made your day.  In fact, never really got that reference before from DEW, but I soon as I listened to it, bang...Walking on the Moon.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2150 on: March 23, 2012, 10:52:09 PM »
Alex's guitar always sounded a lot like Andy Summers to me during that time.  I'm glad I'm not the only one who heard it.
I definitely hear that too.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #2151 on: March 24, 2012, 07:29:13 AM »
I'm pretty sure the reggae section of Spirit of Radio was also influenced by the Police.

It's true that Rush has always been influenced by the music of the times, and what they were listening to and being influenced by.  So i guess it's not fair in that vein to say they were trying too hard to sound grungy on Stick it Out.  To me, it's not the sound that bothers me, but the song itself.  By Rush standards, it's awful.  With so many great tracks on C-parts that never get played, it really irks me that they pull this one out for tours, like it's some kind of masterpiece. 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 09:57:29 AM by dbrooks22 »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2152 on: March 24, 2012, 08:57:47 AM »
They don't continue to pull Stick It Out out.  It hadn't been played since the 90s until the last tour.  And I'll bet it won't get played on the next tour.  So, take a chill pill. :biggrin:

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2153 on: March 24, 2012, 09:15:10 AM »
I would like to see different songs from Counterparts though (I did love seeing Leave That Thing Alone though). 

So I guess the biggest reason is that its too grungy for a lot of people?  Okay.  @Nick: I really like the chorus.  I mean the lyrics aren't spectacular, but the riff underneath is. 

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #2154 on: March 24, 2012, 10:00:54 AM »
They don't continue to pull Stick It Out out.  It hadn't been played since the 90s until the last tour.  And I'll bet it won't get played on the next tour.  So, take a chill pill. :biggrin:

Noted and corrected.  All the tours blend together in my tiny brain.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2155 on: March 24, 2012, 10:07:35 AM »
Hehe, it's all good.

I will say that it is a shame that Cold Fire hasn't been played since the CP tour, and that Nobody's Hero hasn't been played since the Test for Echo tour.  One or both of those songs need to come back.  And they need to finally play both Cut to the Chase and Everyday Glory.  Screw it, just play all of Counterparts. :hat

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2156 on: March 24, 2012, 10:20:48 AM »
I'd love to see Between sun and moon.  :metal

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2157 on: March 24, 2012, 10:28:50 AM »

Saw that opening night on the Vapor Trails tour in Hartford.  It's the bonus cut on the Rush In Rio live album.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #2158 on: March 24, 2012, 10:43:41 AM »
Screw it, just play all of Counterparts. :hat
Yea!  :metal
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2159 on: March 24, 2012, 12:56:59 PM »
More Counterparts Please.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #2160 on: March 25, 2012, 12:49:20 AM »
Funny to me that 2 years ago when I joined this board I mentioned something about Counterparts and a grunge/alternative influence and was laughed out of the building; now we've got a fair number agreeing that "Stick It Out" is faulted for being "too grunge." 

I for one can hear those influences on Counterparts and T4E in various places.  I love "Stick It Out."  So heavy, so power!  Cool story, bros: my uncle is the kind of Rush purist who will never admit that any of their songs are the least bit imperfect.  He claims to love all their albums equally.  He gave me shit b/c I wrote an Amazon review declaring Counterparts my favorite Rush record.  Finally, after like 3 hours of arguing, he admitted "Stick It Out" was a lesser favorite because of the grunge/alternative element.

Besides the name-dropping Ytse alluded to, Alex and Geddy also betray their affinity for certain alt rock/grunge musicians in their solo albums.  Les Claypool played on a Victor track and Edwin from I Mother Earth was the album's lead vocalist.  Geddy had Matt Cameron (Soundgarden, Pearl Jam) play drums on MFH.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like some fans feel it is blasphemous to admit Rush was influenced by alternative/grunge music.  Yet it's fine to admit their musical influences in other periods.  Oh well, whatevs... 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2161 on: March 25, 2012, 08:06:50 AM »
Even though I didn't care for grunge, I have no problem admitting that the band liked it at the time, and was even influenced at times by it, but Stick It Out just doesn't sound like grunge.  The first time I heard that song and that riff, I thought, "Wow, they are harkening back to the heaviness of the early days." That riff is more Working Man than grunge or alt rock.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2162 on: March 25, 2012, 08:15:17 AM »

Saw that opening night on the Vapor Trails tour in Hartford.  It's the bonus cut on the Rush In Rio live album.

I think I have that bootleg video. Doesn't Geddy say 'there are no mistakes, just new parts' because of their long layoff.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2163 on: March 25, 2012, 08:24:54 AM »
Yes he does.  I've got to say it was an emotional show for us Rush nuts.  Got to tailgate all day cranking Rush tunes and then the first break they had with the applause... I had goosebumps.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2164 on: March 25, 2012, 11:53:45 PM »
My friend flew in to Minnesota from Toronto after his trip in Norway. I just couldn't resist asking him for his luggage tag being the Rush fan that I am. So I put it in my Moving Pictures CD case

God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Mosh

« Reply #2165 on: March 25, 2012, 11:56:08 PM »
That's so awesome!  :metal

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2166 on: March 26, 2012, 04:19:27 AM »
My friend flew in to Minnesota from Toronto after his trip in Norway. I just couldn't resist asking him for his luggage tag being the Rush fan that I am. So I put it in my Moving Pictures CD case

*snip

:clap:

Bravo. I would have done the exact same thing.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2167 on: March 26, 2012, 04:38:14 AM »
Nice :tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2168 on: March 26, 2012, 08:40:59 AM »
I was going through a presentation from my company today and I saw this

Time and again, situations arise where you must make a choice. And such choices cannot be avoided. After all, even if we choose not to decide we still have made a choice.

I smiled
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2169 on: March 26, 2012, 09:25:50 AM »
Living in Toronto, and spending lots of time on a plane, anyone who wants one, let me know.  I regularly fly to San Antonio, Denver, Phoenix, Vegas for work.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion