Author Topic: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels  (Read 508218 times)

Offline Ħ

Re: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels
« Reply #2065 on: March 18, 2012, 04:59:21 PM »
Listened to Rush (the album) for the first time in a while. Finding My Way was very awesome, but honestly everything else was really bad. :/
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #2066 on: March 18, 2012, 05:04:19 PM »
Listened to Rush (the album) for the first time in a while. Finding My Way was very awesome, but honestly everything else was really bad. :/
Even Working Man?

Finding My Way is indeed awesome, but I'm not surprised you don't like their debut.  It's very much in the vein of Zeppelin-esque wailing vocals and bluesy guitars.  I enjoy it, but it's not a favorite of mine.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2067 on: March 18, 2012, 05:14:51 PM »
Even Working Man?

Finding My Way is indeed awesome, but I'm not surprised you don't like their debut.  It's very much in the vein of Zeppelin-esque wailing vocals and bluesy guitars.  I enjoy it, but it's not a favorite of mine.

This.  I still like the first album quite a bit though.  Just fun rock music with lots of instrumental wizardry that they carried over onto their other albums. 

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2068 on: March 18, 2012, 05:57:05 PM »
I thought the first album was really meh. The only reason I could possibly care about it is because it is by Rush. Even Working Man doesn't really do it for me.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #2069 on: March 18, 2012, 06:21:27 PM »
At the end of the day, Finding My Way and Working Man are the only two songs from the debut that I care about whatsoever. Rush has its fair share of less-than-stellar albums; just look at each album as its own beast and you'll be much happier for it.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2070 on: March 18, 2012, 06:29:22 PM »
I love the first album  :heart

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2071 on: March 18, 2012, 06:34:24 PM »
As far as self-titled debut albums go, this is one of the better ones! Definitely signs of where they were going, and what they wanted to do, and songs like "Working Man" really showed just how hard they could rock out!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2072 on: March 18, 2012, 06:56:27 PM »
Listened to a Best Of Rush CD my friend put on in the car and I have to say I didn't enjoy any of it  :-\

Fly By Night sounds like something they threw together last minute when they needed one more song for the album.

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #2073 on: March 18, 2012, 06:57:45 PM »
Listened to a Best Of Rush CD my friend put on in the car and I have to say I didn't enjoy any of it  :-\

Fly By Night sounds like something they threw together last minute when they needed one more song for the album.
How?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2074 on: March 18, 2012, 08:01:45 PM »

No way.  If you had a live bootleg from a studio when Neil first joined the band you'd know that the chorus and the bridge was flipped so they put some time and effort in molding that song.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #2075 on: March 18, 2012, 08:04:43 PM »
Rush's self-titled is something I enjoy when I listen to it, but I pretty much forget about most of it afterwards. 

The first 4 albums are alright to great, but nothing on the second and most of the third groups of four, with the exception of some outstanding songs. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2076 on: March 18, 2012, 08:37:14 PM »
2112 is the only Rush album, that I own so far, that's consistent. Grace Under Pressure is close.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #2077 on: March 18, 2012, 08:37:22 PM »

No way.  If you had a live bootleg from a studio when Neil first joined the band you'd know that the chorus and the bridge was flipped so they put some time and effort in molding that song.
What? You're kidding. I learn so much from you, Shmeggy.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2078 on: March 18, 2012, 11:52:13 PM »
My faves from the first album are Finding My Way, What You're Doing, Here Again and Before And After.

As far as Fly By Night goes (And The King can attest).  Anthem, Best I Can, Fly By Night and parts of By-Tor And The Snow Dog (in the middle of Working Man) were played live before Fly By Night was recorded.

Portnoy even honored this "medley" on the Working Man tribute CD and I'm not having a brain fart I think Dream Theater also covered part of it during the Six Degrees Tour.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2079 on: March 19, 2012, 07:21:45 AM »

It just sounds really forced.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #2080 on: March 19, 2012, 05:02:29 PM »
Fly By Night was miles ahead of the debut. Not the greatest thing ever written but it was enjoyable.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Ħ

« Reply #2081 on: March 19, 2012, 05:21:45 PM »
Caress of Steel is not doing great at all...

Offline Mosh

« Reply #2082 on: March 19, 2012, 05:26:50 PM »
That's a tough one. Necromancer is a grower, I can't get into Fountain at all. Bastille Day and Lakeside Park are great tracks though.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2083 on: March 19, 2012, 05:33:51 PM »
Just had an idea. Since we have 9 weeks til the release of Clockwork Angels, I thought I could create a thread that discussed two albums per week from now til May 22nd. Anyone up for that? If I get a good amount of responses in the next couple hours, I'll start the thread.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #2084 on: March 19, 2012, 05:34:04 PM »
Caress of Steel is awesome.

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #2085 on: March 19, 2012, 05:45:06 PM »
I'd get in on that sweet action.

EDIT: This is my 1000th post! #mostmeaninglessachievement

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2086 on: March 19, 2012, 05:55:11 PM »
Just had an idea. Since we have 9 weeks til the release of Clockwork Angels, I thought I could create a thread that discussed two albums per week from now til May 22nd. Anyone up for that? If I get a good amount of responses in the next couple hours, I'll start the thread.

-Marc.

I'm game.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2087 on: March 19, 2012, 05:57:07 PM »

-Marc.

I'm game.

I second the motion.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2088 on: March 19, 2012, 05:58:09 PM »

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #2089 on: March 19, 2012, 07:03:40 PM »
Caress of Steel is not doing great at all...
Not surprised, Caress of Steel is, IMO, largely terrible.

Bastille Day and Lakeside Park are pretty great tracks, The Fountain of Lamneth is a grower, but it's not very cohesive and it's easily their worst epic.  The Necromancer and I Think I'm Going Bald are lolololbad.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #2090 on: March 19, 2012, 07:19:52 PM »
I think Necromancer is good. Probably could've done without the spoken word, but it doesn't hurt the song too much.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2091 on: March 19, 2012, 07:26:42 PM »
I love Caress of Steel  :heart

Offline Ħ

« Reply #2092 on: March 19, 2012, 07:40:54 PM »
Two questions.

1) When does Rush lose that hard rock vibe and get more eclectic?
2) When does Geddy get more tolerable?

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #2093 on: March 19, 2012, 07:43:37 PM »
It starts going away around Farewell to Kings and is less present with each release after that until Counterparts, which is pretty hard. 

I'd say Signals is where they're no longer 'hard rock' at all. 

And where Geddy starts singing more 'normally'. 

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #2094 on: March 19, 2012, 07:46:58 PM »
Yeah, A Farewell to Kings is where things get interesting. I think Geddy's vocals become much more mature and tolerable around PW.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #2095 on: March 19, 2012, 08:37:46 PM »
Two questions.

1) When does Rush lose that hard rock vibe and get more eclectic?
2) When does Geddy get more tolerable?

Dude, Geddy on CoS, especially in The Necromancer, is one of my favorite things ever. 

Offline Ħ

« Reply #2096 on: March 19, 2012, 08:39:37 PM »
You have weird opinions.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #2097 on: March 19, 2012, 08:52:42 PM »
You have weird opinions.

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOLLOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #2098 on: March 19, 2012, 09:47:45 PM »
 :lol

Oh it's no opinion, it's a fact that that's one of my favorite things ever.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #2099 on: March 19, 2012, 09:48:27 PM »
That you chose it as your favorite is what's weird.