Author Topic: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels  (Read 508735 times)

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
Re: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels
« Reply #1925 on: February 17, 2012, 04:26:57 PM »
So, over the last few tours they've pulled out some gems that nobody expected. Circumstances, Digital Man, Presto, Marathon, etc.

So, here are a list of songs I'd kill to see live, that are rarely played (chronologically)

The Twilight Zone
Lessons
Cygnus X-1 (yeah yeah, a longshot, but whatever)
Xanadu
Different Strings
The Weapon
Losing It
Countdown
Grand Designs
Middletown Dreams
Open Secrets
The Big Wheel
Neurotica (I must be the only person who likes this)
Cut to the Chase (PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLAY THIS AT LEAST ONCE)

I discount Fly By Night, albeit grudgingly, based on Geddy's vocal abilities...

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1926 on: February 17, 2012, 04:30:37 PM »
Why is Cygnus X-1 a long shot?
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1927 on: February 17, 2012, 04:38:22 PM »
Just imagine Geddy trying to sing this:

SPINNING, WHIRLING, STILL DESCENDING LIKE A SPIRAL SEA UNENDING

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1928 on: February 17, 2012, 04:40:31 PM »
I just cringed a little

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1929 on: February 17, 2012, 04:40:49 PM »
Anything Hemisphere's and down it very rough on Ged's voice.  We may hear a verse in a medley but I think that's it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #1930 on: February 17, 2012, 10:38:43 PM »
Losing It would be amazing, Countdown would be really cool as well.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #1931 on: February 17, 2012, 10:59:33 PM »
Anything from Signals (including the obvious ones) would be really cool. 

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #1932 on: February 17, 2012, 11:40:12 PM »
The Analog Kid
Everyday Glory

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1933 on: February 18, 2012, 09:09:14 AM »
I'd drop down to my knees and thank Jesus if they ever played Losing It or Everyday Glory, but I'd shocked to ever see either.  Everyday Glory is a dreaded last track (they haven't played any of their last tracks from an album since 1985's Power Windows), and Losing It would require too much triggering of violin, including the solo.  Hard to envision the band wanting to play a song where they have to trigger the solo in it since it was played by someone else.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1934 on: February 18, 2012, 12:29:25 PM »
I'd drop down to my knees and thank Jesus if they ever played Losing It or Everyday Glory, but I'd shocked to ever see either.  Everyday Glory is a dreaded last track (they haven't played any of their last tracks from an album since 1985's Power Windows), and Losing It would require too much triggering of violin, including the solo.  Hard to envision the band wanting to play a song where they have to trigger the solo in it since it was played by someone else.

I suppose Alex could play the violin solo on guitar? It'd be an interesting take, but they've not been above re-arranging tunes lately, so I think it'd be better than nothing just to hear this song played live!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1935 on: February 18, 2012, 12:33:04 PM »
I'd drop down to my knees and thank Jesus if they ever played Losing It or Everyday Glory, but I'd shocked to ever see either.  Everyday Glory is a dreaded last track (they haven't played any of their last tracks from an album since 1985's Power Windows)

Oh wow, you're right about that!  Kinda surprising.  Especially considering how awesome "Everyday Glory" is.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1936 on: February 18, 2012, 12:40:10 PM »
I'd drop down to my knees and thank Jesus if they ever played Losing It or Everyday Glory, but I'd shocked to ever see either.  Everyday Glory is a dreaded last track (they haven't played any of their last tracks from an album since 1985's Power Windows)

Oh wow, you're right about that!  Kinda surprising.  Especially considering how awesome "Everyday Glory" is.

And what's more, many of their closing tracks are pretty awesome, especially "Everyday Glory", "Available Light" and "Out Of The Cradle" (yes, I really do like that song).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #1937 on: February 18, 2012, 02:30:50 PM »
I love all of these suggestions.  Anything different from the usual suspects.  Rush's back catalog is almost all genius. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1938 on: February 19, 2012, 06:00:25 AM »
This was posted on rushisaband.com

"Big Al needs the Gibson double neck back for summer rehearsals and the upcoming Rush tour in September, anyone else want to give me one, maybe Gibson?"

All I can hope for is Vapor Trails.  PLEEEEEASE?!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1939 on: February 19, 2012, 06:14:56 AM »

Xanadu?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1940 on: February 19, 2012, 09:27:13 AM »
Xanadu is the obvious implication, and that would make me extremely happy.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1941 on: February 19, 2012, 09:27:53 AM »
Hopefully it's the whole thing

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1942 on: February 19, 2012, 09:55:34 AM »
Hopefully it's the whole thing

Well, they have been playing more and more of it lately, the last thing would be playing ALL of it now. What other songs (could) utilize a double-neck for Alex, both old AND new songs??

Also, there's the possibility that any of the songs on the NEW album could use/require the use of a double-neck guitar.

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1943 on: February 19, 2012, 10:05:13 AM »
Doesn't Hemispheres also make use of the double neck?  When they did the Xanadu/Hemispheres: Prelude back-to-back on the CP tour, I know Alex used the double neck for Xanadu, and I am pretty sure he used it for the Prelude as well. 

So, while Xanadu is probably the safe guess, you never know...

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1944 on: February 19, 2012, 10:13:01 AM »
Doesn't Hemispheres also make use of the double neck?  When they did the Xanadu/Hemispheres: Prelude back-to-back on the CP tour, I know Alex used the double neck for Xanadu, and I am pretty sure he used it for the Prelude as well. 

So, while Xanadu is probably the safe guess, you never know...

Hearing ANY part of "Hemispheres" would be a treat for the next tour, be it the prelude or even just "Armageddon" if it were a part of a medley. I'd even accept the Xanadu/Hemispheres Prelude medley again!

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1945 on: February 19, 2012, 10:23:07 AM »
I want all of Xanadu.  Both times they have played it since I became a fan, they play it in abbreviated form - only the first 7+ minutes on the CP tour, and a shortened version on the R30 tour where they glossed over the first two minutes in like two seconds.  Play that whole damn intro, damn it!!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1946 on: February 19, 2012, 01:54:14 PM »
We'll be hearing all of 2112 and liking it.

As well as one or three other surprises. (And no, I don't know what they are)

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1947 on: February 19, 2012, 04:09:20 PM »
We'll be hearing all of 2112 and liking it.

As well as one or three other surprises. (And no, I don't know what they are)

Oh how I wish this were true

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1948 on: February 22, 2012, 06:22:05 AM »
I want to request they drop all the 'standards' this tour. Seriously. Tom Sawyer's slot could go to a much awesomer song

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1949 on: February 22, 2012, 09:12:07 AM »
I want to request they drop all the 'standards' this tour. Seriously. Tom Sawyer's slot could go to a much awesomer song

Of course, but it will never happen.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1950 on: February 22, 2012, 09:42:39 AM »

This would be pretty cool, but I think for almost any band you need to consider the first-timer, either new fans who just got into the band or people who have just never had the opportunity before.  You want to make their concert enjoyable, and most of the time that means pulling out your big hits.  Unfortunately for a band like Rush, "Tom Sawyer," "Spirit of Radio," and "Limelight" are basically required songs.  So for that reason I don't think its a problem for them to keep playing Tom Sawyer, especially if everyone still likes playing it. 

Unless that whole "b sides only" tour Alex wanted to do becomes a reality, in which case they'll have to advertise to the general public that "no we aren't playing Tom Sawyer!"  :lol

Maybe some songs like Freewill, Subdivisions, and Far Cry could take a break though. 

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1951 on: February 22, 2012, 10:15:16 AM »

This would be pretty cool, but I think for almost any band you need to consider the first-timer, either new fans who just got into the band or people who have just never had the opportunity before.  You want to make their concert enjoyable, and most of the time that means pulling out your big hits.  Unfortunately for a band like Rush, "Tom Sawyer," "Spirit of Radio," and "Limelight" are basically required songs.  So for that reason I don't think its a problem for them to keep playing Tom Sawyer, especially if everyone still likes playing it. 

Unless that whole "b sides only" tour Alex wanted to do becomes a reality, in which case they'll have to advertise to the general public that "no we aren't playing Tom Sawyer!"  :lol

Maybe some songs like Freewill, Subdivisions, and Far Cry could take a break though.

What about an hour of A-Sides (their singles and hits), and then after an intermission, an hour of B-Sides? Ya know, play about 10-12 songs that haven't been played since the 1970s/1980s, or perhaps have NEVER been played, then do an encore that is pretty epic (no medleys!).

I think that would be an interesting tour to do.

Unfortunately, with the upcoming album being something more conceptual, I wouldn't put it past the band to try and play ALL of Clockwork Angels, either straight-through or in chunks. That would mean nearly half the show would be dedicated to the new album (assuming the album is about an hour long, as were the last two), leaving about 70-90 minutes for other music, and you KNOW at least 20 minutes of that will be their hits (TS, TSOR, LL, and a few others, maybe CTTH).

-Marc.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1952 on: February 22, 2012, 10:25:55 AM »

Free Will and subdivions definitely.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1953 on: February 22, 2012, 11:42:51 AM »
Subdivisions has never really been a standard.  It has been played a lot lately, but was skipped on quite a few tours (CP tour, 2nd leg of the TFE tour, VT tour, etc.). 

Personally, I think Tom Sawyer, The Spirit of Radio and Freewill should always be played, but I wouldn't fret if Limelight and YYZ were given a rest for a while.  Hell, they could play Red Barchetta (which is the best song on MP anyway) and still get in enough of Moving Pictures to keep the casual fans fat and sassy.  And maybe bring back In the Mood (which is short and sweet, not to mention easy to play and easy for Geddy to sing), another popular tune that the casual fans would go crazy over.  See, they could lose Limelight, YYZ and Subdivisions, but still play Tom Sawyer, The Spirit of Radio, Closer to the Heart, 2112, Red Barchetta, In the Mood and Freewill...more than enough "standards" to keep the casual fan happy.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #1954 on: February 22, 2012, 12:10:37 PM »
I'm okay with having a few standards that subsist from tour to tour because A) on most tours, there's usually something novel to get excited about in the set (The Camera Eye!!!@!@!@$!@%!@5) and B) the shows are so long. If Rush suddenly started playing 90-minute shows, I'd expect a bit more variety.

Don't get rid of Limelight, though. I love Limelight.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1955 on: February 22, 2012, 12:13:40 PM »
I love Limelight as well, but they play it too slow now.  I remember them opening with it on the S&A tour and thinking, "Neil looks like he is playing in slow motion."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1956 on: February 22, 2012, 01:51:18 PM »
Tom Sawyer and YYZ are the stples from MP.  They've pulled the other back from time to time.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1957 on: February 22, 2012, 01:55:12 PM »
Tom Sawyer and YYZ are the stples from MP.  They've pulled the other back from time to time.

True, likewise for "The Spirit Of Radio" and "Freewill" from PEW, and I suppose "Subdivisions" from Signals.

-Marc.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1958 on: February 23, 2012, 12:52:37 AM »
[lol]

[/lol]

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1959 on: February 23, 2012, 12:45:23 PM »
[lol]

https://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2012/02/top_20_worst_bands_ever_complete_list.php?page=4

9. Rush
You realize that Jason Segel's character's obsession with Rush in I Love You Man is tongue in cheek, right? It's often said that people either love Rush or hate them, but a more accurate statement is that most people hate Rush, while a scattered few really love them. Sort of like anchovies; in fact, it's quite fair to call Rush the anchovies of rock music. Then there's the fact that "drummer Neil Peart generally consents only to speak to the drum press," a pantheon that includes in its entirety Modern Drummer and Not So Modern Drummer, if we're not mistaken. -Kai Flanders

[/lol]