Author Topic: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels  (Read 508133 times)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
Re: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels
« Reply #1855 on: January 26, 2012, 11:33:25 AM »
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #1856 on: January 26, 2012, 11:47:36 AM »
From a photographer's status update on Facebook:

"Word has just come out that legendary Canadian music photographer Andrew McNaughtan has died in LA of a heart attack while on photo assignment with RUSH. His photos have been the cement in hundreds of Canadian music careers. Some of the most iconic images to grace album and magazine covers. This is a huge loss. Condolences to friends and family."
 :sad: Very sad day for the Rush community.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1857 on: January 27, 2012, 11:27:12 PM »
Sad news. Read this yesterday. Still a little shocked about it.

I'd emailed him a few times over the years asking him if he would make certain prints I liked from the tourbooks available. Really nice guy based on my very limited contact with him.

I bought some Euro Roll The Bones tickets from him after he'd used two of them as design props on pages 160 and 161 of the Contents Under Pressure Book.

He'll be missed.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1858 on: January 28, 2012, 05:47:37 AM »
Please like my Facebook Rush page....
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-National-Midnight-Starman/260338560689841
Thank you! :tick2:

The National Midnight Star was the first and only place for Rush New in the 90's on the internet!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline SeventhSon

« Reply #1859 on: January 28, 2012, 10:05:04 AM »
I love Rush. For my money, the best era of Rush is from 2112 through Moving Pictures. That isn't to say the other albums are no good, but as far as classic Rush albums are concerned, you can't go wrong with any of those five. The other day I was listening to Hemispheres and decided to make a best-of album combining my favourite songs from A Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres. Then I realized that both albums will fit on one CD, so I made "A Farewell to Hemispheres" and "Permanent Pictures" for the car.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1860 on: January 28, 2012, 10:52:15 AM »
Awesome.  Reminds me of the old days, finding two albums that are similar or otherwise go together somehow and putting them on opposite sides of a C-90 cassette for in the car.  I had 2112 and Moving Pictures together just because they're my two favorites, A Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres were a natural.  Plus, with auto-reverse, you "segued" from Book One to Book Two.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1861 on: January 28, 2012, 11:26:55 AM »
So the rumor now on Rushisaband.com is that the tour will not start to the fall.  Dammit.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1862 on: January 28, 2012, 11:32:50 AM »
I heard that as well, and I must say that that pleases me.  After a decade of seeing Rush outside, I am ready to see them indoors again.  I hope they do a fall tour and bring back the lasers and cool lights they always used to feature.  They simply do not work as well outside (especially in the first set, which it is often still light outside).

The question is this: what never played before song that is not from the album they are touring on will they pull out for this tour?  They have done that on every tour since returning except R30 (Between Sun and Moon on the VT tour, Entre Nous on the S&A tour, and Presto on the TM tour), so odds are that they will do it again.  I could see Cut to the Chase or maybe something from Vapor Trails that was never played, like the title track (minus the 's').  I'd love to see Everyday Glory or Open Secrets, but those probably don't stand a chance. 

I'd also like to see the return of The Analog Kid and Nobody's Hero.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1863 on: January 28, 2012, 11:41:58 AM »
I would love to hear,

Vapor Trails (Alec with the double neck FTW)
Cut To The Chase
Open Secrets
Totem
Kid Gloves
MIDDLETON DREAMS DAMMIT!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1864 on: January 28, 2012, 11:45:30 AM »
Oh, and if they are gonna play something from Vapor Trails, and it is gonna be something they have played before, please make it Earthshine, not One Little Victory or Secret Touch.

Middletown Dreams would be awesome, but since Power Windows got the "song that hadn't been played in a long time" treatment with Marathon on the last tour, they might aim for a different album next time in that regard.  But you never know.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1865 on: January 28, 2012, 11:50:13 AM »
I think it's more realistic to pick the 80's and 90's for Geddy.  It's too had these days to hit those old high notes.

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #1866 on: January 28, 2012, 01:39:22 PM »
I prefer indoor Rush, but I hate having to wait until September to see them. Hoping they play Armor and Sword as well as The Way The Wind Blows. Still love Snakes and Arrows.

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #1867 on: January 28, 2012, 08:42:41 PM »
I have to decide if i want to pony up the $150/ticket to see 60-70% of the same setlist that they've played for the past decade.  If they played all new songs - B-sides and whatnot - i'd pay $500 for a ticket.  But to see Tom Sawyer, Spirit of Radio, 2112/Temples, etc etc. one more time... meh. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1868 on: January 28, 2012, 09:00:51 PM »
I've only ever seen Rush indoors.  The closest I came to outdoor Rush was when they played Merriweather Post Pavillion in the 90's when I lived in Columbia, MD.  You could hear them doing the sound check from across the street at the ATM.

Cool story, bro. :tup

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1869 on: January 28, 2012, 11:31:36 PM »
I have to decide if i want to pony up the $150/ticket to see 60-70% of the same setlist that they've played for the past decade.  If they played all new songs - B-sides and whatnot - i'd pay $500 for a ticket.  But to see Tom Sawyer, Spirit of Radio, 2112/Temples, etc etc. one more time... meh.

To be honest, I know a lot of Rush fans are a bit drained on the classics that come back every tour, but when you think about it, I would just be glad that it's the same three guys doing those songs - not a SINGLE line-up change since their first tour, and while the instruments and technology have evolved and the sound and light shows have grown, it's still Alex, Neil and Geddy up there, every show, doing those songs. And as a Rush fan of over 10 years now, I've yet to see them live, so if/when I do some day, I'll still be excited to hear Neil do the opening groove of "Tom Sawyer", or that winding intro sound to "2112", or that blazing guitar riff that opens "The Spirit Of Radio". The band are a true live experience, and I don't think any Rush tour would be complete without those songs.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1870 on: January 28, 2012, 11:34:19 PM »
I could do without Limelight now (still love the tune, but it kind of bores me live lately), but the others are always awesome live no matter how many times I see them.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1871 on: January 28, 2012, 11:39:12 PM »
Honestly, I don't give a shit what they play. I just want to see them once before they retire.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1872 on: January 29, 2012, 09:16:44 AM »
I've only seen them twice, so everything is still pretty new for me.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1873 on: January 29, 2012, 09:19:33 AM »
Yeah but for someone like me who has seen them 28 times, I'm with Kev but I understand why they have to play staples.

Offline TL

« Reply #1874 on: January 29, 2012, 07:27:07 PM »
I would just like them to come anywhere within Atlantic Canada during the next tour. There are suitable venues, and more than enough demand. It's just odd that they keep neglecting an entire region of their home country.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1875 on: January 29, 2012, 11:06:01 PM »
I'm with Kev that I reeeeeeeeeally want to see "Everyday Glory" or "Cut to the Chase" live.  They gave Counterparts some love on the Time Machine tour but we need a better song than "Stick it Out." :D  I could see something from Hold Your Fire like Turn the Page getting played live, and maybe something like The Weapon as well.  I like how Rush have added a few oddball songs into their sets over the last few tours.  Those would qualify.

EDIT: after three legs of a Moving Pictures tour, I wouldn't be surprised if they just played Tom Sawyer and YYZ from that album and left off Limelight.  I have a feeling that Vapor Trails would be excluded again, and probably just one song from S&A (I'd rather it not be Far Cry just to let other songs get a chance, even though its awesome). 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1876 on: January 29, 2012, 11:09:12 PM »
The problem with playing Turn the Page now is that Geddy has been using that really aggressive bass tone for years now (even live on the songs that didn't originally have it), and I am not sure that would sound good on Turn the Page, which is driven by that smooth bass line.  In short, Geddy doesn't come close to using the bass tone that is needed to do Turn the Page real justice anymore.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1877 on: January 30, 2012, 06:09:17 AM »
The problem with playing Turn the Page now is that Geddy has been using that really aggressive bass tone for years now (even live on the songs that didn't originally have it), and I am not sure that would sound good on Turn the Page, which is driven by that smooth bass line.  In short, Geddy doesn't come close to using the bass tone that is needed to do Turn the Page real justice anymore.

But sometimes just the little change in a sound for a song gived them a kickin the pants and makes the song seem fresh again.  Sometimes in some of the older song you see them add a few bars and change things around just to do so.  Examples.  Presto & Natural Science.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1878 on: January 30, 2012, 12:48:34 PM »
True that.

And I've decided that I want them to play all of Power Windows on tour this year.  TV, make it happen. :biggrin: :hat

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1879 on: January 30, 2012, 02:19:44 PM »
I think no one in their right mind would object to that.  I'd love it!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1880 on: January 30, 2012, 02:38:54 PM »
Them playing all of Power Windows would definitely be sweet.

Either PW, Hemispheres or 2112 are the albums that I would lobby for the most.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1881 on: January 30, 2012, 03:36:35 PM »
I think no one in their right mind would object to that.  I'd love it!

I've seen every song live but Emotion Detector live.  I would love that.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #1882 on: January 30, 2012, 03:38:14 PM »
Found Hempisheres and A Farewell to kings on Vinyl the other day. Listening to Xanadu right now and LOVING it.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1883 on: January 31, 2012, 03:37:46 PM »
I'm sick of hearing Limleight and Tom Sawyer myself (and maybe Closer To The Heart but they did freshen it up the last time.)

I don't see Power Windows getting played all the way through. I doubt Geddy wants to spend three-quarters of an hour trapped behind a bank of keyboards or waiting to trigger a bunch of sounds when he could be rocking out on his bass.

A song here or there? No problem. But not an entire album.

2112 Listening Party tomorrow?

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1884 on: January 31, 2012, 06:32:05 PM »
Well since they played my 2 favorite Rush songs on the TM tour (La Villa Strangiato and Marathon), they need to play 2 other of my favorites: Grand Designs and The Pass.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1885 on: January 31, 2012, 11:18:28 PM »
Happy 2112 day y'all!!!

Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1886 on: January 31, 2012, 11:25:09 PM »
WE ARE THE PRIESTS... OF THE TEMPLES... OF SYRINX!
 :metal

Gonna play me some Rush today!

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1887 on: January 31, 2012, 11:25:42 PM »
That's such an awkward picture of Geddy :lol
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #1888 on: January 31, 2012, 11:28:42 PM »
GUP Geddy, reunion Alex, and mid-70s (2112?) Neil?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1889 on: January 31, 2012, 11:33:51 PM »
 :metal