Author Topic: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels  (Read 508664 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels
« Reply #1820 on: December 29, 2011, 07:37:55 AM »
Funny, I was just telling a friend that the other day.  I usually wear a new Rush release out with playing it to death, but I haven't this time.  I think the oversaturation of live releases in the last decade has made them feel less special.  And like you said, as much as I love those songs, hearing another new live version of Tom Sawyer, Limelight, etc. doesn't excite me.

As for Geddy's voice, the dude is old.  Like almost 60.  Considering how he used to sing (see: shriek :lol), the fact that his voice has held up as well as it has is amazing, so you gotta cut him some slack, even when he is clearly struggling on certain tunes. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1821 on: December 29, 2011, 08:09:00 AM »
I read that he had a bad head cold that night, but that was the night they had all the equipment ready to go, and they specifically wanted to record that show, because it was Cleveland, where it all started, so they just went with it.  I've watched it twice, and yeah he voice has a weird quality to it, but after a while I just get used to it and enjoy the music.  But I can definitely see how it would bug some people.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1822 on: December 29, 2011, 08:16:43 AM »
I definitely have to agree with the over saturation of live releases.

Rush in Rio is what originally got me into the band and I watched it constantly, so when R30 came out, I absolutely had to have it, but at the end of the day, I really didn't watch it that much. Maybe only once since its release. So by the time Snakes and Arrows live came out I realized that I didn't really need it or honestly really want it either. And I feel the same way about live in Cleavland, pretty much indifferent.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1823 on: December 29, 2011, 09:16:58 PM »
I didn't buy the dvd, only the cd.  I tend not to watch music dvds that often; however, I will listen over and over again to a cd.  It's not just with Rush, but all bands.  I am still getting around to watching dvds that I bought 1-2 years ago.  Just find it easier to sit back with headphones and listen inside or listen to music in the car; rather than watching the dvd.  I like the new time machine disc but if I am in the mood for live Rush, I will grab ATWAS or ESL first.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1824 on: December 29, 2011, 09:34:58 PM »
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/rush-complete-recording-of-clockwork-angels/

Heading into the holidays last weekend, Rush moved one step closer to wrapping up their long awaited ‘Clockwork Angels’ album with engineer Richard Chycki, tweeting this past Tuesday (Dec. 20) that initial tracking had been completed.

The members of Rush spent the past two months recording in Toronto at Revolution Sound with Chycki and producer Nick Raskulinecz. Geddy Lee has said that the first two songs from the album, ‘Caravan’ and ‘BU2B’ are a “great indication of where this album’s going,” but he also expressed that the album will have “much more variety.”

Preparing for their first album in five years, the band looked back to where they left off with 2007’s ‘Snakes and Arrows,’ and Lee says that while they were happy with the album, he felt like “we kind of overdid it with overdubs.”

This time around, they’re working to “simplify” the process to focus on making the guitar, bass and drum sounds “big, loud and clear.” Lee cautions that if they do employ overdubs, they want to be careful to make sure that it “definitely is adding and not subtracting” from the impact of the final product.

Guitarist Alex Lifeson said in an interview with Planet Rock that the band went into the sessions with five songs written, with plans to write five to six additional songs. While he says that things got off to a slow start, all of the necessary songs for the project had been written by the end of the first month of recording.

It appears that ‘Clockwork Angels’ will find the band stretching out, with most of the songs clocking in at six minutes, with three or four of those songs running over seven minutes.

Rush will head back into the studio in early 2012 to mix the project and according to Lifeson, they could be back on the road to promote the new album as soon as May or June.

So, if everything we've heard about the tracks so far is true, the first five tracks (including "Caravan" and "BU2B") form a suite comprising the story/concept of "Clockwork Angels", there's a multi-part title track (which may or may not be part of the 5-song suite), and many of the tracks (at least 8, possibly 9 or 10) run over 6 minutes long, with three-or-four running over 7 minutes long.

If 3 tracks run 7 minutes, and with 5-6 more at 6 minutes, I think we're looking at an album that's about 60-65 minutes long, which is about as much music the last two albums have been (67:15 for VT and 62:45 for S&A). This is looking better and better! If they plan on touring in May or June, hopefully the new album comes out by then!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1825 on: December 30, 2011, 09:10:29 AM »
^^^^

I am all for longer songs and an overall concept album.  :tup

I can't wait for this album and tour, to the point where I've been saving money for over a year now to get some decent seats this time, instead of the nosebleeds I had for the Time Machine Tour  :'(

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1826 on: January 03, 2012, 10:31:03 PM »
I'm thinking about getting the Time Machine DVD but I've watched a few clips on YouTube and heard some songs from the live CD - was there something wrong with Geddy's voice on that tour? It has probably been discussed before in this thread, but something about his voice sounds iffy when I listen to the clips.

I want to get this DVD for the entire Moving Pictures live (and finally The Camera Eye!) though.

He had a bad cold that night.

Unfortunate? Yes. But the show must go on and it happened to be that this one had long planned to be recorded.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1827 on: January 03, 2012, 10:42:28 PM »
how much you guys wanna bet that this album actually comes out sometime in 2013

I'm not trying to jinx it; I'm just saying. I don't have much faith in them to actually get it out this year. I'm not holding my breath.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1828 on: January 03, 2012, 10:44:28 PM »
I definitely have to agree with the over saturation of live releases.

Rush in Rio is what originally got me into the band and I watched it constantly, so when R30 came out, I absolutely had to have it, but at the end of the day, I really didn't watch it that much. Maybe only once since its release. So by the time Snakes and Arrows live came out I realized that I didn't really need it or honestly really want it either. And I feel the same way about live in Cleavland, pretty much indifferent.

The only sub-par DVD in the 10 year-run in my opinion is R30 (although neccessary to fans because of the bonus footage) because of the performances were not consistently great.

Other than that, I love each and every one of them for different reasons.

Sure, I could do without Tom Sawyer and Limelight, but I'd rather suffer through them to get Presto or Faithless. And does anyone REALLY get tired of hearing La Villa Strangiato or Leave That Thing Alone?

And none of these have the whole version of 2112 which should be remedied in 2012.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1829 on: January 03, 2012, 10:46:42 PM »

I'm not trying to jinx it; I'm just saying. I don't have much faith in them to actually get it out this year. I'm not holding my breath.

It will be out by September at the very latest.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1830 on: January 03, 2012, 11:02:39 PM »

Not sure if serious...

...On a serious note, when do you think we'll get any samples of the material, ya know, other than "Caravan" and "BU2B"? I don't think I've ever anticipated an album more than this, and I think releasing the single back in 2010 definitely got a lot of fans appetites whetted.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1831 on: January 03, 2012, 11:04:55 PM »
That's what's so freaking bizarre. What other band releases a single almost 2 years before releasing the album? That's insane.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1832 on: January 03, 2012, 11:14:07 PM »
That's what's so freaking bizarre. What other band releases a single almost 2 years before releasing the album? That's insane.

Rush does! :lol

But what I'm wondering the most...will they add/subtract anything from those two tracks when they put them on the album proper, or will the tracks remain mostly the same?

-Marc.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1833 on: January 03, 2012, 11:21:10 PM »
God help us if they decide to re-work those songs. For one thing, fans are used to the way they are after listening to them for so long. Also, changing those songs would mean we would have to wait at least another 6 months.

I apologize for my cynicism. I just think it's silly how so many bands are getting in the habit of delaying releases nowadays. It's getting tiresome.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1834 on: January 03, 2012, 11:30:51 PM »
God help us if they decide to re-work those songs. For one thing, fans are used to the way they are after listening to them for so long. Also, changing those songs would mean we would have to wait at least another 6 months.

I apologize for my cynicism. I just think it's silly how so many bands are getting in the habit of delaying releases nowadays. It's getting tiresome.

Well I don't mean radically altering them in sound or structure, but possibly adding or changing the layering, with over-dubs or what not. I doubt they took the songs and said "Hey, I didn't like this part after we wrote it, recorded it, released, it and played it for a year on the road"...but I think they'll probably keep them mostly the same, and if the only changes are made in mix or mastering just to match the rest of the record, then that's cool too.

As for delaying this album, I think it's just been because they went on tour, so there wasn't a good chunk of time for them to hit a studio and record, but the last half of 2011 seemed like a good long enough time for them to do it, and now they seem pretty confident that, with mixing going on now, they'll release by mid-to-late spring of this year so they can go back on tour in May or June.

-Marc.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1835 on: January 04, 2012, 12:27:32 AM »
I'm thinking about getting the Time Machine DVD but I've watched a few clips on YouTube and heard some songs from the live CD - was there something wrong with Geddy's voice on that tour? It has probably been discussed before in this thread, but something about his voice sounds iffy when I listen to the clips.

I want to get this DVD for the entire Moving Pictures live (and finally The Camera Eye!) though.

He had a bad cold that night.

Unfortunate? Yes. But the show must go on and it happened to be that this one had long planned to be recorded.

Aha, thanks :)
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1836 on: January 04, 2012, 12:31:44 AM »

Not sure if serious...

...On a serious note, when do you think we'll get any samples of the material, ya know, other than "Caravan" and "BU2B"? I don't think I've ever anticipated an album more than this, and I think releasing the single back in 2010 definitely got a lot of fans appetites whetted.

-Marc.

I'm just using common sense. I claim no insider knowledge.

Based on what they've revealed over the last few months, the only thing that would delay things are if they aren't happy with the mixes. The album is done. If all goes well, my guess would be in time for the tour.

I think the versions of the songs we've already heard will be closer to what's on the Time Machine DVD than the original 2010 release as far as the new album is concerned. At least, if you go by what they originally said last year thatthey liked how the songs took on a life of their own as the tour progressed.

I'm not holding my breath either. There's plenty of music to enjoy in the meantime. When it comes out, it comes out.  That's not meant to throw ice on anyone else's anticipation, that's only how I feel. It's actually cool that so many people are really looking forward to it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1837 on: January 04, 2012, 07:40:28 AM »
From what I've read and from past mixes.  May or June seem reasonable for the release,
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1838 on: January 04, 2012, 04:02:41 PM »
https://www.2112.net/powerwindows/coverpics/ClassicRock167.pdf

Looks like May is the targeted month of release, which was the same month of release as VT (02) and S&A (07)!

Hopefully, if/when they get around to it, they release their NEXT-next album before 2017 (ya know, instead of taking Tool-sized lengths of time between albums).

Nice to hear that the title track is shaping up to be a lengthy Rush classic!

-Marc.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1839 on: January 10, 2012, 07:16:34 PM »
There's a rumor floating around that the tour will start in September.

If true, this will give me more time to save money...because tickets will be more this year. It also likely means indoor shows.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1840 on: January 10, 2012, 08:55:13 PM »
There's a rumor floating around that the tour will start in September.

If true, this will give me more time to save money...because tickets will be more this year. It also likely means indoor shows.

I am totally all for this. I also need time to continue saving up money, so a Fall tour works for me. And also, I definitely prefer indoor acoustics compared to the open amphitheaters.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1841 on: January 10, 2012, 09:32:43 PM »
Yeah, later the better, I don't have enough money for a Rush tour right now.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #1842 on: January 12, 2012, 05:41:53 AM »
I'm trying to not wait another freaking year to see them, but if it's September it's September

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1843 on: January 13, 2012, 09:36:29 AM »
I wish Rush would come near me. I've only seen them once  :'(. Stop complaining you lucky bastards!!!

Also this is my post so I thought this was the correct thread for it.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1844 on: January 17, 2012, 04:37:54 PM »
 :metal :metal :metal
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1845 on: January 18, 2012, 07:53:25 AM »
Just watching Time Machine for the first time. the stage looks cool and neil's kit could be the coolest I've ever seen. Very steampunk. Those cymbals are the coolest.
Cool.

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #1846 on: January 18, 2012, 08:01:33 AM »
cool

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1847 on: January 18, 2012, 11:15:57 AM »
My wife, who is not a prog fan or even a Rush fan, watched part of it with me, and she also commented on the cymbals.  She thought his whole kit looked pretty sweet.  And she's right.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1848 on: January 19, 2012, 03:46:05 PM »
My wife, who is not a prog fan or even a Rush fan, watched part of it with me, and she also commented on the cymbals.  She thought his whole kit looked pretty sweet.  And she's right.

Probably my favorite kit and set design ever. I know a lot of detail went into the R30 kit, but the color didn't do much for me.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1849 on: January 20, 2012, 10:09:53 AM »
I think the R30 kit remains my favorite.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1850 on: January 23, 2012, 03:59:25 PM »
The Time Machine kit just gives me a drumgasm. Those cymbals look amazing.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1851 on: January 25, 2012, 09:40:18 PM »
Just got this text from Geddy about 6 minutes ago.

"Thank Freyja. Nearly finished. Whew!"

:biggrin:
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #1852 on: January 25, 2012, 09:50:45 PM »
So the album should be out by 2015 then?

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1853 on: January 25, 2012, 11:03:57 PM »
^^^^

I legit lol'd

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1854 on: January 25, 2012, 11:34:34 PM »
^^^^

I legit lol'd

I hope you didn't wake Luanne.