Author Topic: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels  (Read 508442 times)

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels
« Reply #1785 on: December 25, 2011, 11:20:16 AM »
Call me a party pooper, but unless the new album is a modern day Rush masterpiece that is accepted as such by most of the fanbase, casual fans included, I say, keep the number of songs from it down to no more than four or five.  Bottom line is, too many new songs don't go over well with their crowds nowadays.  As much as I like S&A, doing five songs in a row from it at the start of the 2nd set on both legs was a killjoy at both shows I went to (and I read it was similar at many other shows as well); the crowd was getting restless for something familiar by the 4th song.

When I saw Rush the first time it was my first time hearing a lot of Rush songs, whether they were familiar or not.  I quite liked all the new songs they played and made me more and more convinced that they weren't a classic prog act just using new music as an excuse to tour.  If the rest of the album lives up to Caravan and BU2B's level of quality I would have no problem with them playing the whole thing.  Plus, all the S&A songs they played on that tour were fantastic.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1786 on: December 25, 2011, 11:45:01 AM »
So I don't wanna really search through this thread but why the hell is it taking them so long to release this album? I mean didn't the singles come out in 2010?

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1787 on: December 25, 2011, 11:52:48 AM »
They've been touring.... A LOT.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1788 on: December 25, 2011, 06:40:37 PM »
I marathoned the s/t album up to Permanent Waves the other night. Going to continue tonight with Moving Pictures. And once I've finished all of them, I'll watch the documentary. I bought that when it came out but never got around to viewing it.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #1789 on: December 25, 2011, 07:58:25 PM »
How would y'all feel should CA turn out to have the synths back in full force?

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1790 on: December 25, 2011, 08:26:44 PM »
As long as the songs don't suck, I would be fine, but I'd hope they wouldn't overdo it like on Hold Your Fire or Power Windows.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1791 on: December 26, 2011, 06:01:49 PM »
Grass... so... very... annoying...

For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1792 on: December 26, 2011, 06:09:16 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Dude...that is so completely AWESOME!!!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1793 on: December 26, 2011, 06:41:07 PM »
The Rush Backstage Club and amazon has it. Amazon might still have the Moving Pictures one too.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #1794 on: December 26, 2011, 06:46:23 PM »
A Hold Your Fire or Counterparts puzzle would be really hard.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1795 on: December 26, 2011, 09:10:16 PM »
Not sure if it's been discussed, but has anyone ordered the Sector boxsets?  I just ordered them; they look very cool and it appears that the sound has improved.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1796 on: December 26, 2011, 09:37:30 PM »
I would looooove to get them, but the money just isn't there for those right now.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1797 on: December 26, 2011, 10:06:19 PM »
I finally have all 19 studio albums on my iPod (including Feedback, because it counts dammit). I want to attempt a marathon where I listen to all of them in order without stopping.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1798 on: December 26, 2011, 10:21:46 PM »
What you need to do is take out Feedback and swap in the Caravan/BU2B single. Look into your heart Drew, you know this to be true.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1799 on: December 26, 2011, 10:36:09 PM »
I mean since I know those songs will show up on a future LP, it wouldn't feel right.

On another note. Superconductor is awesome.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1800 on: December 26, 2011, 10:38:52 PM »
Call me a party pooper, but unless the new album is a modern day Rush masterpiece that is accepted as such by most of the fanbase, casual fans included, I say, keep the number of songs from it down to no more than four or five.  Bottom line is, too many new songs don't go over well with their crowds nowadays.  As much as I like S&A, doing five songs in a row from it at the start of the 2nd set on both legs was a killjoy at both shows I went to (and I read it was similar at many other shows as well); the crowd was getting restless for something familiar by the 4th song.

When I saw Rush the first time it was my first time hearing a lot of Rush songs, whether they were familiar or not.  I quite liked all the new songs they played and made me more and more convinced that they weren't a classic prog act just using new music as an excuse to tour.  If the rest of the album lives up to Caravan and BU2B's level of quality I would have no problem with them playing the whole thing.  Plus, all the S&A songs they played on that tour were fantastic.

I agree for the most part, but crowd energy is something that adds a lot to a concert, and having it sucked away because they are playing too many new songs is a bummer.  I definitely want a handful of new songs, but the whole thing?  No way.  That would zap the life out of the crowd.

Nah.  The synths wouldn't go as well with their current sound (assuming they use the synth sounds that have been the norm for them as of late).  As a backdrop or icing on the cake, sure, but full force, I say no.  They just aren't in that headspace anymore.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1801 on: December 26, 2011, 10:40:44 PM »
I mean since I know those songs will show up on a future LP, it wouldn't feel right.

On another note. Superconductor is awesome.

Superconductor is a bottom 20 Rush song.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1802 on: December 26, 2011, 10:41:53 PM »
lol

I had a feeling you would say that.

It's one of those songs that turns me into a human bobblehead.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1803 on: December 26, 2011, 10:43:16 PM »
Superconductor is weak.  The Xanadu into Superconductor segue-way on the Roll the Bones tour has to be the biggest WTF ever in the band's touring history (even if it was the concert that melted my face off and made me a fan for life).

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #1804 on: December 26, 2011, 10:43:37 PM »
Superconductor LIKE MOST OF PRESTO is underrated.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1805 on: December 26, 2011, 10:45:13 PM »

Superconductor is naturally overplayed as a single and is certainly not underrated. There are a few underrated tracks on the album for sure, but Superconductor is not one of them.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1806 on: December 26, 2011, 10:49:13 PM »
You guys make me sad sometimes.

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #1807 on: December 26, 2011, 10:52:04 PM »

Superconductor is naturally overplayed as a single and is certainly not underrated. There are a few underrated tracks on the album for sure, but Superconductor is not one of them.

I didn't know it was overplayed. I just say it's underrated because most people despise it and I think it's kind of a fun song.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1808 on: December 26, 2011, 11:03:51 PM »
I finally have all 19 studio albums on my iPod (including Feedback, because it counts dammit). I want to attempt a marathon where I listen to all of them in order without stopping.

Make sure that, on your playlist before Rush, you have the single "Not Fade Away"/"You Can't Fight It", and after Rush but before Fly By Night, place "Garden Road" and "Fancy Dancer", and for fun, toss in their cover of "Bad Boy".

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1809 on: December 26, 2011, 11:15:03 PM »
That's too much to remember. :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1810 on: December 27, 2011, 06:32:28 AM »
Don't Forget Battlescar with Max Webster and Take Off with Bob and Doug McKenzie. :biggrin:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1811 on: December 27, 2011, 11:25:05 AM »
Take Off with Bob and Doug McKenzie. :biggrin:

Well if you're going to go that far, might as well put Alex Lifeson's solo album, Victor, in there between Counterparts and Test For Echo, and put Geddy Lee's solo album, My Favorite Headache, between Test For Echo and Vapor Trails.

Then you might as well get the Buddy Rich tributes that Neil has done, as well has the tracks he drummed on for Vertical Horizon a few years back.

...could go on and on and on :rollin

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1812 on: December 27, 2011, 11:55:24 AM »
Beyond Borders from the Guiter Player magizine also! :biggrin:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1813 on: December 27, 2011, 02:10:10 PM »
Take Off with Bob and Doug McKenzie. :biggrin:

Well if you're going to go that far, might as well put Alex Lifeson's solo album, Victor, in there between Counterparts and Test For Echo, and put Geddy Lee's solo album, My Favorite Headache, between Test For Echo and Vapor Trails.

Then you might as well get the Buddy Rich tributes that Neil has done, as well has the tracks he drummed on for Vertical Horizon a few years back.

...could go on and on and on :rollin

-Marc.

If this were Dream Theater you could go on and on, with Rush there really isn't all that much.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1814 on: December 27, 2011, 05:33:23 PM »
quote author=KevShmev link=topic=16371.msg1175606#msg1175606 date=1324964332]

I agree for the most part, but crowd energy is something that adds a lot to a concert, and having it sucked away because they are playing too many new songs is a bummer.  I definitely want a handful of new songs, but the whole thing?  No way.  That would zap the life out of the crowd.

[/quote]

I'm with skydivingninja on this one. The more new stuff, the better. I loved the Snakes and Arrows tour for that reason. Can't speak for the crowd, but my energy level as just as high if not higher for the Snakes and Arrows songs. I wish they had done the same thing with Vapor Trails.

RE: Superconductor
As much as I love Presto, that tour was the least favorite that I've ever witnessed. I know they've said they they were inspired on that tour, but I guess that didn't tanslate well in my case.

RE: Sectors
I wasn't planning on getting these, but the slightly different mixes on Hold Your Fire are far too tempting for me not to try and track down. I may just wait until they are released individually (probably within a year).

I haven't had the chance to read many reviews, but the ones I did read are mixed. Some love them and others hate them. It probably depends on if you are a fan of more high end, a fan of more low end, or a fan of more mid-range.

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #1815 on: December 27, 2011, 11:33:56 PM »
Garden Road is so damn good. I wish they had put it on an album.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1816 on: December 29, 2011, 04:34:59 AM »
I'm thinking about getting the Time Machine DVD but I've watched a few clips on YouTube and heard some songs from the live CD - was there something wrong with Geddy's voice on that tour? It has probably been discussed before in this thread, but something about his voice sounds iffy when I listen to the clips.

I want to get this DVD for the entire Moving Pictures live (and finally The Camera Eye!) though.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1817 on: December 29, 2011, 04:39:02 AM »
I skimmed reviews of the Time Machine DVD on Amazon when it came out, and most of them noted the poor quality of Geddy's vocals. Maybe he just had an off night?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1818 on: December 29, 2011, 05:20:55 AM »
Yeah.  Geddy can't hit all the notes anymore but don't let that sway you on this DVD  Zy. 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1819 on: December 29, 2011, 06:43:54 AM »
I'm thinking about getting the Time Machine DVD but I've watched a few clips on YouTube and heard some songs from the live CD - was there something wrong with Geddy's voice on that tour? It has probably been discussed before in this thread, but something about his voice sounds iffy when I listen to the clips.

I want to get this DVD for the entire Moving Pictures live (and finally The Camera Eye!) though.

I'm about 2/3 of the way thru it (been listening 30 minutes at a time while on the exercise bike).  I had heard his voice wasn't so hot either, but still asked for (and got) the DVD as a Christmas gift.  Honestly, it's hit and miss.  There are some songs (and moments within songs) where it's cringe-worthy.  Presto and The Camera Eye quickly come to mind.  Otherwise, it's about the same as the other 2000's releases.

Now, I can't believe I'm actually about to say this, but I'm almost starting to get tired of their DVD releases.  I have them all... everything from Rush in Rio on, as well as all three Replay DVDs.  There isn't a lot new that I can hear from them.  I mean, there's only so many versions of Freewill, Limelight, Tom Sawyer, Spirit of Radio, Subdivisions .... that I want/need.  On quick scan (and going by memory) it looks like only 7 songs are unique/new (ie, not on any other DVD)... which means I've seen 18 of them before.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion