Author Topic: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels  (Read 508723 times)

Offline Anonymous

Re: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels
« Reply #1750 on: December 09, 2011, 08:30:43 AM »
Vapor Trail (the song) and Cut to the Chase would be great.
Ive always wondered WHY the hell CTTC was never played live. That is such a great tune and would be awesome live

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1751 on: December 11, 2011, 08:07:17 PM »
Where do those names come from? I've seen Lerxst thrown around before but I'm not sure what they're referencing.

I'm not sure if they've ever publically explained where exactly they came from other than to say those were just three of many names that they have for themselves.

I used to know when they first started appearing in interviews or on albums and such, but I can't seem to remember now.

Maybe someone with a better memory (King, I'm looking at you) can recall exactly when these references first appeared.

I'm thinking late '70s, but it might be earlier than that.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1752 on: December 11, 2011, 08:11:54 PM »
My AFTK vinyl refers to them by Lerxst, Dirk, and Pratt in the artist acknowledgements section.  Don't know about earlier ablums.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1753 on: December 11, 2011, 08:41:00 PM »
My AFTK vinyl refers to them by Lerxst, Dirk, and Pratt in the artist acknowledgements section.  Don't know about earlier ablums.

THAT's it.  Thanks!

I'm pretty sure there are no references before that.

Incidently the "We remember Brooklyn" quote from those liner notes comes from a tour stop in Brooklyn where some fans told them "don't forget Brooklyn" so they immortalized the occurrence in the A Farewell To Kings liner notes.

So that's an early sign of their sense of humor (via an inside joke.)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1754 on: December 12, 2011, 07:02:33 AM »
It was an inside joke of nivknames they were giving and you are correct when they put it in the live album.  As we old fogey's know, thwere has been many nicknames and in jokes over the years that they've allowed us to see.

I love Alex's rig jokes in the tour books.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1755 on: December 13, 2011, 12:19:01 AM »
The thing I've noticed in the liner notes has been (for example) "Brought to you by the letter D" (from Presto).  I think they do that in other albums as well.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1756 on: December 13, 2011, 02:09:25 PM »
The thing I've noticed in the liner notes has been (for example) "Brought to you by the letter D" (from Presto).  I think they do that in other albums as well.

Power Windows was brought to you by me (The Letter M).

I'm pretty sure one album was brought to you by the letter "3" and Snakes & Arrows was brought to you the letter "S-s-s-s-s".

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1757 on: December 13, 2011, 04:25:48 PM »
I figured you Rush geeks like me would like to see my tour book collection.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1758 on: December 13, 2011, 05:07:53 PM »
Nice!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1759 on: December 13, 2011, 06:17:03 PM »
very cool!!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1760 on: December 13, 2011, 08:16:27 PM »
The first time I saw Rush was Moving Pictures.  I got a tour book, which I lent to a co-worker when I got back, as he was a huge Rush fan as well.  He managed to lose it.  Swore he looked everywhere for it and had no idea where it went.  I believed him, by the way, he was a good guy.  Still, it was quite a bummer, and I never bought another Rush tour book.  I've only seen them two other times, but still.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1761 on: December 13, 2011, 08:21:58 PM »
Nice collection Joe!   I got into Rush a little later on (with Presto), and only missed the Counterparts tour as I was in University.  No tour books though.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1762 on: December 13, 2011, 08:23:20 PM »
I had a drunk guy drop his beer on my Presto book and I took his wallet out of his pocket and took a 20 spot and gave him the wet one.  He was so drunk I just took his wallet. :lol

Thanks JB.  Shirts don't fit me anymore so it's tou rbooks. :lol

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #1763 on: December 14, 2011, 06:53:38 PM »
I really want Clockwork Angels. Listening to Caravan and BU2B makes me wonder how strong the rest of the album will be.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1764 on: December 15, 2011, 02:08:06 PM »
What moved you to perform "Moving Pictures" in its entirety on the Time Machine tour?

We thought that was the perfect time, and the perfect album to do that with. Because I guess it would be considered our quintessential album, and it was the 30th anniversary of that album being released. It also gave us the opportunity to play an 11-minute song on that album called "The Camera Eye," which we had never really embraced as a live song.

Would you consider doing that with any other classic Rush album?

I certainly would. We really enjoyed that whole experience. We played for three hours -- you can tuck a 45-minute album in there and still play lots of new things and lots of other things. If we were really out of our minds, we would attempt something like [1978's] "Hemispheres." If Rush has a cult following, within that cult following there's a following for "Hemispheres" [laughs]. I'm not sure we're up for that one, but I could see us doing "2112."

What can we expect from the next album, "Clockwork Angels?"

The first two [single] releases from this album, "Caravan" and "Brought Up to Believe," are a great indication of where this album's going, although there's much more variety than just what those two songs offer. When I look back at [2007 album] "Snakes and Arrows," as happy as we were with that record, in retrospect I feel we kind of overdid it with overdubs. We'd like to simplify that, just in terms of making sure the guitar, bass and drum sounds are big and loud and clear, and any time we are going to add an overdub, to make sure that it definitely is adding and not subtracting.

You can read the full interview by clicking this link.

Roadrunner News
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #1765 on: December 15, 2011, 04:35:30 PM »
The past few albums have been too layered and overdubbed, IMO, so it's cool they want to tone that down.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1766 on: December 16, 2011, 06:51:33 PM »

For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1767 on: December 18, 2011, 07:58:16 PM »
I figured you Rush geeks like me would like to see my tour book collection.

Nice. I've got an extra Signals if you wanted to swap something for it.

The first program I ever got was from the Power Windows tour. Being that it was my first concert, I mistakenly put it under my seat because I didn't want to hold it during the concert.  I had no idea that spilled beer would be all over the floor some of it stained part of the back cover.

Fortunately, I replaced it when I found a copy in New York a few years later. I'm just missing the 2112 and Euro A Farewell To Kings programs myself.  (I traded a Kiss Meets The Phantom of the Park movie magazine for an autographed Hemispheres Tour program about 15 years ago. I've always felt that magazine was worth more than the program, but I'm still happy with the choice I made.)

Being a geek, I learned a few things from your photo.
Either you didn't go to the first leg of the Test For Echo Tour (the arenas) or you chose not to buy a program during that leg and got one during the second leg instead. Same senario with the second leg of Snakes and Arrows in 2008 and Time Machine 2011.

Nice puzzle , Nick.

I see you found a way to include some black and orange with it.

I've been wondering if I should cave and get a deck or two of cards myself.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1768 on: December 18, 2011, 08:12:46 PM »
great puzzle, very cool

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1769 on: December 20, 2011, 11:47:40 AM »
https://news.2112.net/2011/12/alex-lifeson-update-on-clockwork-angles.html

The January issue of Guitar World includes a new interview with Alex Lifeson where he discusses Clockwork Angels.  Here's a portion of the article, thanks to RushIsABand for the headsup!
... Alex Lifeson stops short of calling Rush's upcoming Clockwork Angels a concept record, but he does admit that a theme runs through most the songs. "We have Caravan and BU2B; both of which we released already and played on the Time Machine tour," he says, referring to the group's extensive 2010-2011 outing. "Those two, along with three other songs, form a suite. The story of Clockwork Angels is in those five tracks."

Longtime Rush fans, who grew up on such multi-song narratives as 2112 and Hemispheres, will no doubt applaud the group's return to its prog-rock roots. They'll also be thrilled to learn that the band isn't paying mind to the length of its compostitions. "We're definitely stretching out," Lifeson says. "Most of the songs are over six minutes. We're having fun with them, seeing where they want to go."

The guitarist estimates that Rush has eight songs finished. One track, however, is putting up a fight. "We wrote it, scrapped it, then rewrote it and shelved it again," Lifeson says, laughing. "Right now, we're still considering it. Something's there that we don't want to lose."

The band is working once again with prodcucer Nick Raskulinecz, who in addition to helming albums for the Foo Fighters, Alice in Chains and Evanesence, oversaw Rush's 2007 release, Snakes & Arrows. "Nick is fantastic," Lifeson says. "He's very enthusiastic, has great ideas, gets incredible sounds, and he's so adaptable to our twists and turns."

That includes a more stripped-down, instrumental approach. "The last few records have been quite produced, with many layers of guitars and vocals," he says. "This time, we'd like to keep things simple and direct.

"We'll see if that sticks," he adds after a moment's though. "I might listen to the finished record and go, 'Needs more guitar!'..."

This gets better every time Geddy or Alex talk about it.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1771 on: December 20, 2011, 02:48:55 PM »
Even better news Marc.

https://www.rushisaband.com/blog/2011/12/20/2945/Rush-wraps-up-Clockwork-Angels-recording

:metal AWESOME...I hope they have it released sometime before May. March would be good, considering my birthday is that month!

-Marc.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1772 on: December 20, 2011, 02:50:19 PM »
:caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine:

I want this album right nowwwwww!!!
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1773 on: December 20, 2011, 06:25:01 PM »
:caffeine::caffeine::caffeine::caffeine:

I want this album right nowwwwww!!!

Back in line behind the rest of us punk.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1774 on: December 20, 2011, 07:18:44 PM »
Even better news Marc.

https://www.rushisaband.com/blog/2011/12/20/2945/Rush-wraps-up-Clockwork-Angels-recording

:metal AWESOME...I hope they have it released sometime before May. March would be good, considering my birthday is that month!

-Marc.

March birthday boy too!  But of late, May seems to be their month to release a new album.

Offline Vahvahenki

• I now pronounce you husband and five... eight
« Reply #1775 on: December 21, 2011, 02:30:53 AM »
Happy 21/12 people! :metal

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1776 on: December 21, 2011, 03:02:00 AM »
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1777 on: December 21, 2011, 07:31:21 AM »
Just dropping by to wish everyone on this thread a happy Rush Day, 21/12.  :metal

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1778 on: December 21, 2011, 06:41:52 PM »
Happy Rush Day!!!!!!!!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1779 on: December 21, 2011, 08:35:45 PM »
:frank:

:leaveseyes:

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1780 on: December 24, 2011, 01:56:15 PM »
I don't know how they'll pull it off, but here's to the entire 2112 album live in 2012!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1781 on: December 25, 2011, 12:18:40 AM »
Call me a party pooper, but unless the new album is a modern day Rush masterpiece that is accepted as such by most of the fanbase, casual fans included, I say, keep the number of songs from it down to no more than four or five.  Bottom line is, too many new songs don't go over well with their crowds nowadays.  As much as I like S&A, doing five songs in a row from it at the start of the 2nd set on both legs was a killjoy at both shows I went to (and I read it was similar at many other shows as well); the crowd was getting restless for something familiar by the 4th song. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1782 on: December 25, 2011, 05:13:19 AM »
Well I don't agree with how many new songs I'd like to see them play.  Spreading throughout the set is something we agree on.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1783 on: December 25, 2011, 07:47:40 AM »
Well I don't agree with how many new songs I'd like to see them play.  Spreading throughout the set is something we agree on.

Seconded.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1784 on: December 25, 2011, 09:49:27 AM »
Depending on how good the album is...I think it would be cool to see them pull off what Iron Maiden did on the AMOLAD tour and just play the whole flippin thing.

I think that was one of the coolest things Iron Maiden ever did, and I think Rush could pull it off.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude