Author Topic: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels  (Read 508040 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels
« Reply #1715 on: November 10, 2011, 09:28:09 AM »
Ya know, I saw the Working Man clip that was up a few weeks ago, and I have to admit that once they broke into the normal song and he was singing the chorus as is, the way he was singing it sounded really weird.  I think he is reaching that age where he can't do much more with it, especially live and on certain songs. 

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #1716 on: November 10, 2011, 05:01:18 PM »
I listened to the CD samples on Amazon, and noticed how bizarre Geddy sounds. Caravan sounds like one of the worst, strangely. Unfortunately, age must have caught up with him. :'(
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1717 on: November 10, 2011, 05:23:36 PM »
I listened to the CD samples on Amazon, and noticed how bizarre Geddy sounds. Caravan sounds like one of the worst, strangely. Unfortunately, age must have caught up with him. :'(

I wonder if this means, on the Clockwork Angels Tour, that we'll get most of the album played live, if not all of it? It would definitely be in his range (being their latest album), and perhaps more of the songs that didn't get played from Snakes & Arrows on the last couple tours, like "Bravest Face" and "Good News First"?

And how about some more Vapor Trails songs, damnit!!!  Especially the title track, "How It Is", and perhaps "Freeze"...or how about the whole "Fear" series?

I think the next tour would be a great time for them to bust out some never-played tracks from Presto onward, when they stopped playing more than half of the new album live. I could go for some "The Color Of Right" or "The Speed Of Love".

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #1718 on: November 10, 2011, 05:28:38 PM »
Vapor Trail (the song) and Cut to the Chase would be great.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #1719 on: November 10, 2011, 06:07:07 PM »
Cold Fire and anything off of P/G or PW (aside from the 2 or so obvious songs) would be pretty cool.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #1720 on: November 10, 2011, 11:19:54 PM »
Or how about some "Everyday Glory?"

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1721 on: November 10, 2011, 11:21:15 PM »

YES PLEASE

Fucking love that song.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #1722 on: November 10, 2011, 11:41:08 PM »

YES PLEASE

Fucking love that song.

Some of my favorite lyrics in all of Neil's catalog, and the music is wonderful as well.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1723 on: November 11, 2011, 06:59:27 AM »
Now that they've played Presto I've love to hear Vapor Trails (Alex with the double neck Gibson FTW).  I'd love to here Totem, and of course.....Available Light.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1724 on: November 11, 2011, 12:17:28 PM »
Just listened to an 8-bit version of Subdivisions  :metal

I'd like to see an 8-bit version of the video next  :biggrin:
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1725 on: November 11, 2011, 07:20:21 PM »
Rush: Time Machine Live was on TV the other day (Palladia, the MTv HD music channel) so I recorded it.  Unfortunately, my DVR is dying, so I only got the first 10 minutes or so.  I had happened to catch the very end the other night, which was some kind of nutty time-warped version of them called Rash in a German sausage restaurant.  That's okay; these guys always have crazy stuff going on throughout the videos.  But when I watched the first 10 minutes, it of course all made sense, and I thought it was hilarious.  Then the actual concert started, then my DVR fucked up, and that's all I saw.

That's okay, I was going to get the Blu-ray anyway.  My buddies from home went to this concert, said it was awesome.  My one friend even took his 18-year-old daughter to it, her first Rush concert.  I can't imagine how cool it would've been growing up with parents who'd take me to rock concerts.

My son is 13 and he's seen Rush 6 times. (Saw his first one at 4)

He was the reason we even saw Kansas for the first time.
He wanted to go and we didn't. I'm glad he did too, because they were awesome, even after all these years.

We go to concerts all of the time (when the budget allows) We saw the Carl Palmer Band from front row center (twice) last month. He loves it. (He hasn't really taken a shine to Dream Theater yet, but we did go with some of his friends for Progressive Nation 2009 and he seemed to enjoy it, but I think he was a passenger).

Oh...my Presto is the same as everyone else's.

Not much of a theory as to why, but it was their first album on the Atlantic label so all of their duck might not have been in order.

I can't recall if the Canadian copy is like that.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 07:27:28 PM by ytserush »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1726 on: November 11, 2011, 08:24:19 PM »
My son is 13 and he's seen Rush 6 times. (Saw his first one at 4)

That's so cool. :metal

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1727 on: November 23, 2011, 08:27:14 PM »
Time for more rankings! This time, the  live concert videos releases from the last decade:

1. Rush In Rio
2. R30
3. Time Machine 2011
4. Snakes & Arrows Live

I took in to account the set list, production and quality of the video/sound, packaging, bonus materials (if applicable) and over-all enjoyment of the set. The top two are tough, and are more likely a tie in my eyes. R30 suffers a bit since it's not the complete set list, although all the classic 70's footage kind of makes up for it. Rush In Rio is just an all-time classic, great set list, awesome audience and just a great live show that captures the end of a great "come-back" tour for the band.

Snakes & Arrows Live suffers a bit more than R30 since there isn't anything in the way of extra stuff, just the concert. It's a bit bare-bones, but the concert is filmed great and it's got a good set list, but I'd still take R30 over it, as a whole package. Even the recently released Time Machine set tops S&A Live, just slightly, for it's got a slightly more balanced set list (although I did enjoy all the new songs, seeing Moving Pictures played live in it's entirety on a concert video is just a great treat!) and some awesome song choices ("Marathon" and "Presto", as well as "Faithless" and the encore).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1728 on: November 23, 2011, 08:40:27 PM »
Doggone it, I still have to see Rush in Rio.  I have the others.

Why does Rush have so many concert vids?!  Why do they torment me like this?!  I only have so much money!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1729 on: November 23, 2011, 09:39:38 PM »
Time Machine
Snakes and Arrows Live
Rush in Rio
R30
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1730 on: November 23, 2011, 09:51:30 PM »
I'd say that R30 is definitely the least best.  It is the one I have watched by far the least (of the first three: TMM is still too new).  Not only does it not have the whole show, but aside from the R30 Overture and the covers, Animate and Mystic Rhythms are the only two songs I can't watch on another live release.  And the intro videos on S&A Live and TMM are far better (despite the presence of Jerry Stiller).

Rush in Rio is easily the best of the four.  The vibe from that Brazil crowd cannot be topped, and the documentary is great.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1731 on: November 24, 2011, 06:55:28 AM »
Rush in Rio is easily the best of the four.  The vibe from that Brazil crowd cannot be topped, and the documentary is great.

you got that right!  Seeing 50,000 people jumping and chanting during YYZ gives me goosebumbs just thinking about it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1732 on: November 25, 2011, 11:54:01 PM »
R30 is the least favorite as far as the the concert goes. (It's got the most bonus features though.)

I can't decide beyond that at the moment.

Each one has its strengths and weaknesses but R30 doesn't hold up performance-wise consistently.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1734 on: December 06, 2011, 03:22:51 AM »
I remember watching it for the first time and being blown away by seeing the crowd singing along to YYZ. I've never seen anything like it.  :metal

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1736 on: December 06, 2011, 08:02:10 AM »
Exactly.  The Sector boxes seem like a weird idea, either "easy to collect" boxes for people who don't have much Rush now and want to jump-start their collections but somehow aiming a little too high-end, or an outright cash grab for longtime fans because of the one 5.1 disc per box.  I'm holding out for the single 5.1 albums, which I'm sure are coming because they've done all the work and they'll sell a bunch of them (after sales of the Sector boxes fizzle).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1737 on: December 06, 2011, 08:28:51 AM »

Here's the most recent Geddy interview on record:

https://www.billboard.com/news/geddy-lee-talks-rush-legacy-moving-pictures-1005608552.story#/news/geddy-lee-talks-rush-legacy-moving-pictures-1005608552.story

Great.  Now a percentage of the online fanbase is getting all pissy when they don't play all of Hemispheres live "since Geddy said they might do it!" :lol

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1738 on: December 06, 2011, 10:40:24 AM »

https://www.billboard.com/news/geddy-lee-talks-rush-legacy-moving-pictures-1005608552.story#/news/geddy-lee-talks-rush-legacy-moving-pictures-1005608552.story

Great.  Now a percentage of the online fanbase is getting all pissy when they don't play all of Hemispheres live "since Geddy said they might do it!" :lol

You laugh, but the goal is for them to do each album over the next several tours. Some they plan to combine and do two albums on the same tour.  :metal
Now I've said too much; but now you know.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1739 on: December 06, 2011, 11:28:26 AM »
I love the way he worded that:

"If Rush has a cult following, within that cult following there's a following for "Hemispheres" [laughs]."

:lol
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1740 on: December 06, 2011, 11:28:50 AM »
I am giddy.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1741 on: December 06, 2011, 12:09:28 PM »
I'll believe it when I see it. 

And every album?  Even if they do two a tour, considering how many albums they have, they'd have to do like eight or nine more tours to get them all in.  Are they gonna tour until they are 80??

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1742 on: December 06, 2011, 01:40:54 PM »
A short but relatively interesting interview:

Andy VanDette On Remastering 15 Rush Albums

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #1743 on: December 06, 2011, 07:41:41 PM »

You laugh, but the goal is for them to do each album over the next several tours. Some they plan to combine and do two albums on the same tour.  :metal
Now I've said too much; but now you know.

Vox, seriously?  Cause i'm tired of hearing the same songs every year.  This would be worthy of their immense talent.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #1744 on: December 07, 2011, 05:59:41 AM »
THEY MUST PLAY ALL OF POWER WINDOWS OR PERISH

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1745 on: December 08, 2011, 07:28:03 PM »
I love when people who claim to be "huge Rush fans" mispronounce Peart.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1746 on: December 08, 2011, 08:07:56 PM »
THEY MUST PLAY ALL OF POWER WINDOWS OR PERISH

I would go see Power Windows in a heartbeat.

Besides that, I would like to see 2112 and Hemispheres also.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1747 on: December 08, 2011, 10:09:55 PM »
I love when people who claim to be "huge Rush fans" mispronounce Peart.

Or if you talk to them and say either or all of the following - "Pratt", "Dirk", "Lerxst" - and they have NO idea who you are talking about.

-Marc.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1748 on: December 08, 2011, 10:36:26 PM »
Where do those names come from? I've seen Lerxst thrown around before but I'm not sure what they're referencing.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1749 on: December 09, 2011, 08:05:47 AM »
Where do those names come from? I've seen Lerxst thrown around before but I'm not sure what they're referencing.

Pratt, I'm sure, is a gross mispronunciation of of Neil's last name, and Dirk? I'm not sure...perhaps it's because it was the name of Paul's double in The Rutles and both Paul and Geddy play bass and sing?

-Marc.