Author Topic: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels  (Read 508622 times)

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
Re: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels
« Reply #1645 on: October 03, 2011, 09:01:19 AM »
...I don't think it sounds as good as the original release of the CD.

Man, I wish I still had that CD. I replaced them all with the remasters a few years ago, and the remastered HYF sounds like sh1t next to the original issue. Every other remaster is better (some only slightly, some enormously) but HYF is worse. Go figure. 
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1646 on: October 03, 2011, 02:01:31 PM »
So who else here is pumped up for Clockwork Angels? Rush's 3rd studio album in 10 years! Woooooo...

...Seriously, though, I've been waiting all year for this and even though they've toured and delayed the making of the album, but I think having the band on their "tour-game" will make the rest of the album more exciting, and the 2-track single from last year was exciting enough!

If "Caravan"/"BU2B" is any indication as to where the songwriting is going on this album, I'm very anxious to hear what else they can do. They are definitely flexing their progressive muscles in a way that has only been hinted at on VT and S&A, so I hope they take the chance to show us what they've got on the rest of the songs!

I'm also looking forward to Neil's lyrics, and the over-all "concept" of the steam-punk era that he has about it. I love the idea of making an conceptual album based on the steam-punk genre! I hope Neil explore's some unique points-of-view within this framework and gives us some really exciting lyrics (which have gotten better since TFE, his VT lyrics were very touching and personal, while his S&A lyrics were more general yet still quite emotional in many aspects). I don't think Neil will move away from more emotional/personal lyrics, but it seems his lyrics on this album may be more world-encompassing, more along the lines of his lyrics from the 80s, more philosophical and less personal perhaps?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #1647 on: October 03, 2011, 06:19:18 PM »
I want a release date. NAO

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #1648 on: October 03, 2011, 06:20:47 PM »
I have no idea when it'll come out, but I bet it'll be way longer from now than you or I are willing to wait. 

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1649 on: October 03, 2011, 08:01:18 PM »
I've been waiting 4 years already. It's already too long

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1650 on: October 04, 2011, 03:46:46 AM »
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #1651 on: October 04, 2011, 08:31:42 AM »

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #1652 on: October 04, 2011, 09:06:32 AM »
TBH, I don't really care at the moment because it keeps getting delayed. However, once they start posting release date info, I will be excited. Really loved the two new songs they showcased last year.

Offline TL

« Reply #1653 on: October 04, 2011, 10:48:03 AM »
For me, the most irritating thing isn't even how much they've pushed back the release; it's how long we've gone at this point without any kind of update regarding the album. I mean, it was originally supposed to come out in late 2010/early 2011, and now here we are in late 2011 with no end in sight.
I know they decided to do a bunch of extra touring, and it's great that the tour went so well (I'd probably be more understanding if they'd had a Halifax tour date), but this is getting a bit silly.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1654 on: October 05, 2011, 07:56:11 AM »
I am on board with the two previous posts; call me when the album is finished and release date is set, and then I'll get excited. 

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1655 on: October 05, 2011, 08:25:18 AM »
Yeah, same here. I mean deep down I'm super excited, I just need something solid to bring that excitement to the surface.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1656 on: October 05, 2011, 08:48:51 AM »
For me, the most irritating thing isn't even how much they've pushed back the release; it's how long we've gone at this point without any kind of update regarding the album. I mean, it was originally supposed to come out in late 2010/early 2011, and now here we are in late 2011 with no end in sight.
I know they decided to do a bunch of extra touring, and it's great that the tour went so well (I'd probably be more understanding if they'd had a Halifax tour date), but this is getting a bit silly.

Last I heard/read, which was about two weeks ago, the band would enter the studio this month to finish the album, so assuming it'll take 4-5 months to mix and master the album, I could see them releasing it in spring, like around March.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1657 on: October 07, 2011, 07:31:33 PM »
Kev Schmev (and anyone else who cares), this is for you. (You can't hang this on Alex -- this time.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bFKzmR999M

Re: Clockwork Angels

I'll probably start getting excited about Clockwork Angels when it's in my hands. There are SO many other things to be excited about at the moment.

This really doesn't excite me either (although it was a little more that I was expecting...I suppose they thought that they should start offering at least a carrot or two with these), but i'm sure some of you will be taking the plunge.

From Rushisaband:
On November 21st, Universal Music Enterprises (UMe) celebrates the legacy of Canadian rock trio Rush with the release of three separate six-disc box sets which together spans their entire historic Mercury Records recording career.

Each 'Sector' contains five of their 15 Mercury albums in chronological order, all transferred to high resolution 96kHz/24-bit and digitally remastered for optimal quality.

In addition, each volume includes an exclusive booklet packed with unpublished photos, original album lyrics and credits, and features one album from each set specially remixed on DVD in high resolution 96kHz/24-bit, 5.1 surround sound and stereo, compatible with both DVD-Audio players and DVD-Video players.

Each album is packaged in a replica vinyl mini-jacket of the original album release with all three box sets forming a Rush CD road case.

SECTOR 1: Rush - All The World's A Stage, and on DVD in 5.1, Fly By Night

SECTOR 2: A Farewell To Kings - Exit Stage Left, and on DVD in 5.1, A Farewell To Kings

SECTOR 3: Signals - A Show Of Hands, and on DVD in 5.1, Signals

I'll admit I'm a little curious about this, but I'll be waiting for a heavy discount.

I'd be interested to know if the band either oversaw or signed off on these mixes. It's possible that Rich Chycki did them a few years back (when Vapor Trails was rumored to be done) and they've been sitting in the can.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1658 on: October 07, 2011, 10:07:11 PM »
I was *extremely* surprised at the 5.1 selections.   If they were going for the most popular album from each era, I would think 2112, MP (or PeW), and then maybe PoW or HYF.    I don't object to FBN...but it does seem like an odd pick.   AFTK is another real odd one.  If you're not going to go with the popular album (MP or PeW) why not go for the underground favorite (Hemispheres)???   Granted, Xanadu alone is going to *kick ass* in 5.1, but the album itself seems like a very odd choice.    Signals makes a little more sense...but I'm not sure it will translate to 5.1 as well as the more textured albums like PoW or HYF.    The other issue is that Signals is a *NOTORIOUSLY* badly mixed album...possibly the worst mix in the entire catalog...then again, this *could* be an opportunity to fix that.

Anyway...just sayin the choices seem strange.

EDIT: I understand that MP was already done in 5.1....but that's never stopped record company's from making "cash grab re-release" decisions before.   It also seems odd that (as *good* as it is) they pick what is arguable the least popular album of that "sector"....
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 10:19:44 PM by jammindude »
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1659 on: October 07, 2011, 10:22:27 PM »
I don't know.  They all seem like fine choices to me.  Moving Pictures has already gotten the 5.1 treatment, and Moving Pictures along with 2112 got the "Classic Albums" deal recently.  If 2112 were picked for the next batch of 5.1, it would seem like those two albums literally get all the love.  True, they're easily two of the most popular, but I can understand a deliberate attempt to avoid that much favoritism and go with another early album.  What does that leave?  The first album, Fly by Night, and Caress of Steel, which is easily the underdog.  Fly by Night was the logical choice.

A Farewell to Kings was a pivotal album for Rush.  It was the first album to feature synthesizers, it was a deliberate step in a new direction following first live album and closing of that chapter, and the title of the album even seemed to reflect that.  Since Moving Pictures was already done, it was really between this one and Permanent Waves, and since I like AFTK better, I'm fine with the choice they made. :p

I've never had a problem with the mix on Signals, but I like that they kept with the earlier stuff.  I do agree that maybe this one should've been a later album with more layers and thus more opportunity to take advantage of the 5.1.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1660 on: October 08, 2011, 06:59:38 AM »
I wonder how much money this is going to end up setting me back...
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1661 on: October 08, 2011, 07:03:48 AM »
STOP TEASING ME JUST TELL ME WHEN I CAN BUY CLOCKWORK ANGELS DAMMIT

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #1662 on: October 08, 2011, 07:58:41 AM »
Ufg

Don't want a boxset. But I NEED the 5.1 of AFTK. One of my favorite albums and I would KILL to hear it

KILLLLLL

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1663 on: October 08, 2011, 08:03:53 AM »
Kev Schmev (and anyone else who cares), this is for you. (You can't hang this on Alex -- this time.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bFKzmR999M

Bummer.  That probably makes it unlikely that it will EVER get played again.  Oh well.  You can't have everything in life. :censored :lol

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1664 on: October 08, 2011, 09:27:27 AM »
If I had a 5.1 system I think A Farewell to Kings would sound wonderful on it.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1665 on: October 08, 2011, 09:35:09 AM »

I'd be interested to know if the band either oversaw or signed off on these mixes. It's possible that Rich Chycki did them a few years back (when Vapor Trails was rumored to be done) and they've been sitting in the can.

Yes. They, to a certain extent, control the rights to their music. But as part of the arrangement with Mercury when they left, Mercury was cashing in I guess you coud say. If some obvious choices wre omitted, think along the lines of "Maybe they are going to do something else in the future with those omissions."  ;)

If you water something down too much, it dies.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1666 on: October 08, 2011, 05:16:43 PM »
I think their 5.1 album choices lay in their singles:

FBN - "Fly By Night"
AFTK - "Closer To The Heart"
SIG - "New World Man"

All three are pretty standard classic rock station radio favorites, and Moving Pictures already got re-released in 5.1 last year.

I will probably wait for these to go on discount as well... If their original going-price is pretty cheap then I might go for it, or if the packaging is really nice, but otherwise, this is pretty much a cash-grab from Mercury, and doesn't entice me since I do not have a 5.1 system to play the new mixes.

-Marc.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1667 on: October 08, 2011, 06:27:49 PM »
I think their 5.1 album choices lay in their singles:

FBN - "Fly By Night"
AFTK - "Closer To The Heart"
SIG - "New World Man"

All three are pretty standard classic rock station radio favorites, and Moving Pictures already got re-released in 5.1 last year.

I will probably wait for these to go on discount as well... If their original going-price is pretty cheap then I might go for it, or if the packaging is really nice, but otherwise, this is pretty much a cash-grab from Mercury, and doesn't entice me since I do not have a 5.1 system to play the new mixes.

-Marc.

I respect your opinion...and that may have had something to do with it...but I still feel that it doesn't hold water. 

There are bigger singles within their respective "sectors"....I would argue that "Overture/Temples" is a bigger and more popular "single" on FM rock radio than FBN.  Not saying FBN isn't played, just saying Overture is more so.    Same argument with CttH vs. Spirit of Radio.   I hear Closer on FM radio, but I hear Spirit quite a bit more.     So I don't even think you could say these are the biggest singles from their sectors.   They are definitely "top 5"...but not the biggest.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1668 on: October 08, 2011, 06:31:10 PM »
...at the end of the day...they really should have just done what Genesis did.   The audience is there.    And doing *all of them* is going to be the only way we ever hear The Necromancer in 5.1.

As a matter of fact...CoS has it's followers and its detractors...but I can't imagine anyone saying that there aren't parts of that album that would be *INCREDIBLE* in 5.1.    But of course, they would never do that unless they were doing everything.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #1669 on: October 08, 2011, 06:39:01 PM »
Current price is 45 on amazon, fyi. That is a pretty good price for 5 cds + a dvd, but I still think I'll wait until the dvd-a gets a separate release since I already own all of the cds.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1670 on: October 08, 2011, 09:10:53 PM »
Well supposedly the story goes that the original master tapes to many of the older albums are in REALLY bad shape. This came out after Mobile Fidelity released Permanent Waves a few years back when they wanted to release a few more Rush albums.

Maybe the tapes that got the 5.1 were in the best shape or they didn't use original masters. I hope the liner notes will shed some light on this.

This is where ICE magazine is greatly missed. They would have had this information out there already.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1671 on: October 08, 2011, 09:44:20 PM »
Man did I love Ice Magazine.  I miss it too.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1672 on: October 09, 2011, 02:25:41 PM »
I'm bummed that so many people think Circumstances is the worst tune on Hemispheres!  That's one of my favorite Rush tunes ever.  I get it though, it's pretty much impossible to name a "worst" tune on that album.  Gun to my head though I'd probablly go with The Trees, because like I said I love Circumstances and there's no way you could go with the title track or La Villa.

THIS.   I had such a tough time.  It almost felt like sacrilege choosing anything from that album.   It's just 4 10/10 songs period.   In the end, it was a coin toss between The Trees and Circumstances for reasons you mentioned.

I'd go with the title track. In 30 years it's never done anything for me. Love "side two" though.

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #1673 on: October 09, 2011, 02:27:35 PM »
For those that missed That Metal Show (with Portnoy/Sykes), they did a "What's the best Rush album" poll with Moving Pics vs. Perm. Waves.  PW won by a margin of 3-2.  Portnoy voted Perm Waves.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1674 on: October 09, 2011, 06:24:14 PM »
I'm bummed that so many people think Circumstances is the worst tune on Hemispheres!  That's one of my favorite Rush tunes ever.  I get it though, it's pretty much impossible to name a "worst" tune on that album.  Gun to my head though I'd probablly go with The Trees, because like I said I love Circumstances and there's no way you could go with the title track or La Villa.

THIS.   I had such a tough time.  It almost felt like sacrilege choosing anything from that album.   It's just 4 10/10 songs period.   In the end, it was a coin toss between The Trees and Circumstances for reasons you mentioned.

I'd go with the title track. In 30 years it's never done anything for me. Love "side two" though.

Different strokes.  To me, Cygnus X-1 (that is, BOTH "books" as a single piece of music) is the second greatest piece of rock music ever recorded...   (Second only to Supper's Ready)  ...and Hemispheres is the superior of the two books...and therefore the greatest thing Rush has ever written in their almost 40 year history.   

This is all just IMHO though.   As I've said before, I *love* that everyone has a different opinion.   If everyone felt like I did, the world would be god awful DULL!   :biggrin: 

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1675 on: October 09, 2011, 08:06:53 PM »
Part 1 of Cygnus X-1 is so much better than part 2. Everything going on during the "Spinning, whirling, Still descending, Like a spiral sea, UNENDING" part is so amazing.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1676 on: October 09, 2011, 08:33:53 PM »
Part 1 of Cygnus X-1 is so much better than part 2. Everything going on during the "Spinning, whirling, Still descending, Like a spiral sea, UNENDING" part is so amazing.

Part 1 is absolutely stunning...but for me it's more of a "set up" piece.   The returning themes in part 2 are some of my favorite moments of all time.  The Prelude alone is among the most amazing eargasm things I've ever heard in my life.   To even call it "music" seems to short change it somehow.  It's just aural perfection.   :hefdaddy

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #1677 on: October 10, 2011, 08:41:25 AM »
Part 1 > Part 2

Cygnus X-1 is honestly one of the greatest songs I have ever heard. I can't wait to hear it in 5.1!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1678 on: October 10, 2011, 09:01:47 AM »
Book I > Book II, but only by a hair.

Book I is just 10 minutes of complete awesome while Book II is 18 minutes of some really awesome parts and some just-good parts, so it evens it out a bit.

Book I - 9.9/10
Book II - 9.5/10

Either way, listening to both is just an amazing experience. Has anyone else ever burned AFTK and HEMI together onto one CD-r like I have and enjoyed the experience of closing AFTK and opening HEMI with the duology? It's pretty damn epic, and it's 70 minutes of pure progasms, from "A Farewell To Kings" all the way to "La Villa Strangiato".

-Marc.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1679 on: October 10, 2011, 09:50:07 AM »
I didn't do that with the entire album....but I did do that once with just Cygnus X-1.    Blending the intro with Hemispheres with the outro of Cygnus just sounds awesome if you do it right.   

I always thought this was one of the few things where I stood with the majority (liking Book 2 more than book 1)...  apparently I was wrong. 

For me Book 2 is a 11/10 and Book 1 is 10/10.    Or...if you put a gun to my head and made me stay within the confines of the 10 scale.   Book 2 10/10 and Book 1 is 9.8/10.     

Either way, AFTK is still going to be absolutely awesome in 5.1.   I'm going to have *VERY* high expectations for both Cygnus X-1 and Xanadu....so they better not screw it up.   The mix on Moving Pictures was very well done, and I think there is room to do as well or better with AFTK.    (as long as Paul Northfield didn't do it, I think we'll be fine)