Author Topic: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels  (Read 508159 times)

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels
« Reply #1505 on: September 21, 2011, 11:45:34 AM »
Seeing Marathon live with all those amazing effects was a fantastic experience.

But before we go any further let's let Will go into detail about it.   ;)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1506 on: September 21, 2011, 11:57:25 AM »
It really is cool.  Whenever it comes on, by the end I'm sitting there, just awestruck.  No matter how many times I hear it.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1507 on: September 21, 2011, 12:32:31 PM »
I still can't believe that Geddy was polling right up there with Emerson, Wakeman and Downes (I need to dig some of the mags that have the polls) back then.

It was the times.  Prog was waning.  Neither Emerson nor Wakeman had done anything of note in a while (ELP was dead, Yes was on hiatus again), and Downes' claim to fame was Asia, basically a pop band with some prog roots but nothing really evident in their sound.  Meanwhile, Rush was hot, still had one foot firmly in prog, and those Oberheims did sound sweet.  Who's the keyboard player for Rush?  Geddy Lee?  Yay, he's my favorite keyboard player!

In the 70's, when Elton John was super hot and before it occurred to anyone to separate "Piano" from "Keyboards" in the polls, Elton John gave Emerson and Wakeman a run for their money as best "Keyboard Player".  Hey, I love Elton John, don't get me wrong, but I think him actually winning some of those polls is what prompted the split.

As for that press release, I'm still confused as to the distinction between "TIME MACHINE 2011: LIVE IN CLEVELAND" and "MOVING PICTURES: LIVE 2011".  Time Machine includes Moving Pictures in its entirety, so what would the separate release "Moving Pictures: Live 2011" be?  Just the album Moving Pictures and nothing else?  Why not spring for the whole concert?

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #1508 on: September 21, 2011, 12:32:46 PM »
I've no problem with their synth-y stuff.  Now obviously, I like some of it more than others.  My favorites from that era are probably Marathon and Mission.  I've yet to see Marathon live, but I have no doubt it would be one of the most awesome songs I'd ever see live.  I especially love the key change where it sounds like the freakin' heavens open up.  Amazing stuff.

Mission's OK... Marathon is great.  Maybe the best Rush chorus ever?

It sure got my vote :hefdaddy

Yeah... looking thru my Rushography, Marathon's chorus is tops.  :hefdaddy

Sooooo........ since Rush is The Best Band Ever, and Marathon's chorus is their best chorus ever, is Marathon's chorus The Best Chorus Ever?  :justjen
It's the Internet.  Everything everybody says, no matter how factual-sounding, is opinion.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1509 on: September 21, 2011, 12:35:43 PM »

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #1510 on: September 21, 2011, 12:36:21 PM »
In the 70's, when Elton John was super hot and before it occurred to anyone to separate "Piano" from "Keyboards" in the polls, Elton John gave Emerson and Wakeman a run for their money as best "Keyboard Player".  Hey, I love Elton John, don't get me wrong, but I think him actually winning some of those polls is what prompted the split.

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road is amazing.  If you gave it modern production gloss, I bet today's kids would eat it up.
It's the Internet.  Everything everybody says, no matter how factual-sounding, is opinion.

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1512 on: September 21, 2011, 12:48:19 PM »

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road is amazing.  If you gave it modern production gloss, I bet today's kids would eat it up.

I love Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.  I have all the 70's Elton John and most of what he's done since then.  I'm don't know how popular it would be today, but when I hear some of the modern stuff that's based around voice and piano, it's not that different, so I could see it.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1513 on: September 21, 2011, 01:48:46 PM »
As for that press release, I'm still confused as to the distinction between "TIME MACHINE 2011: LIVE IN CLEVELAND" and "MOVING PICTURES: LIVE 2011".  Time Machine includes Moving Pictures in its entirety, so what would the separate release "Moving Pictures: Live 2011" be?  Just the album Moving Pictures and nothing else?  Why not spring for the whole concert?

Moving Pictures Live 2011 is a digital and vinyl only release, and I think it's purpose is just for those who want a vinyl version of their favorite album performed live, and the digital release is just for fun, probably because they can.

Ironically, the split between the two CDs of the Cleveland show is right where the vinyl-sides of MP split!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1514 on: September 21, 2011, 02:44:41 PM »
Moving Pictures Live 2011 is a digital and vinyl only release, and I think it's purpose is just for those who want a vinyl version of their favorite album performed live, and the digital release is just for fun, probably because they can.

Got it.  I thought that's what it meant, but it still seemed rather oddly worded.

Ironically, the split between the two CDs of the Cleveland show is right where the vinyl-sides of MP split!

Yeah, I saw that too.  I actually find that rather unfortunate, as there might be times when I'd want to start at "Tom Sawyer" and let the live version of Moving Pictures play through.  But that cannot happen if you have to switch discs.  Maybe that's what got them thinking about releasing it separately, and ultimately led to the MP: LIVE 2011 release.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1515 on: September 21, 2011, 04:29:19 PM »

Got it.  I thought that's what it meant, but it still seemed rather oddly worded.

Yeah, I saw that too.  I actually find that rather unfortunate, as there might be times when I'd want to start at "Tom Sawyer" and let the live version of Moving Pictures play through.  But that cannot happen if you have to switch discs.  Maybe that's what got them thinking about releasing it separately, and ultimately led to the MP: LIVE 2011 release.

That was my conclusion too. In order to preserve the setlist's order, they had to split the set somewhere to fit it onto 2 CDs (as they have done in the last couple live sets, rather than 3), so they jammed all the songs together and the splitting point just HAPPENED to be between "Limelight" and "The Camera Eye". Very fitting, imo, and a great homage to the vinyl-era.

I'll probably end up getting MP:Live'11 for my iPod to listen to it straight through. If the songs are edited the same way as on the Time Machine Tour CDs, then theoretically, I could just substitute "Limelight" and "The Camera Eye" from the digital MP:Live'11 set into the Time Machine set on my iTunes, and the whole show could run seamlessly! Guess I'll have to wait and see in about 7-8 weeks...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1516 on: September 21, 2011, 04:45:30 PM »
It is definitely hard to beat Marathon for best Rush chorus ever, but they have so many great ones, I can't even imagine putting them in any order.

I still wish they would have saved Marathon for the 2nd set.  That song deserves to be played when it is dark out, so the light show can really flourish.  It was still light out when they played it at many shows, and that took away from it a little bit.  Seeing it on A Show of Hands was definitely a life-changing experience for me as far as being a music fan goes.  I wish I could go back to the fall of 1991 again.  :coolio

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #1517 on: September 21, 2011, 06:55:15 PM »
On the topic of ASOH, I have been listening to a bootleg from 1988 from Birmingham, AL.  It is awesome - the band is just so tight.  And Neil has that energy that i mentioned a few pages back in this thread.  Marathon, Lock and Key, Mission... really an awesome show from an awesome era.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #1518 on: September 21, 2011, 07:15:09 PM »
Marathon, Manhattan, Middletown, and Mystic Rhythms are why PW is my favorite post P/G album.

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #1519 on: September 21, 2011, 07:19:51 PM »
Power Windows... brought to you by the letter "M"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1520 on: September 21, 2011, 07:24:46 PM »
Power Windows was a great tour.  I got to see The Steve Morse Band and Marillion open up for Rush plus I met Geddy on that tour and shook his hand.  I was so star struck I forgot about him signing my ticket.  DOH!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #1521 on: September 21, 2011, 09:48:48 PM »
Power Windows was a great tour.  I got to see The Steve Morse Band and Marillion open up for Rush plus I met Geddy on that tour and shook his hand.  I was so star struck I forgot about him signing my ticket.  DOH!!

Understandable, dude.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1522 on: September 21, 2011, 10:37:08 PM »
Power Windows... brought to you by the letter "M"

You're welcome. :coolio

-Marc.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #1523 on: September 21, 2011, 11:05:25 PM »
LOL, I was playing outside with my dog and had the greatest idea. 

Since we were talking so much about Marathon, and my dog loooves running around the pool (usually chasing me and my apparently delicious pants), I plugged my iPod into some compatible  speakers outside, and we had a marathon around the pool to Marathon. 

T'was fun, if exhausting (we ran for the whole song at near full pace the whole time).  I won, despite his superior speed, because I ran the whole time, while he spent most of it lying in the grass. 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1524 on: September 24, 2011, 01:22:03 AM »
I still can't believe that Geddy was polling right up there with Emerson, Wakeman and Downes (I need to dig some of the mags that have the polls) back then.

It was the times.  Prog was waning.  Neither Emerson nor Wakeman had done anything of note in a while (ELP was dead, Yes was on hiatus again), and Downes' claim to fame was Asia, basically a pop band with some prog roots but nothing really evident in their sound.  Meanwhile, Rush was hot, still had one foot firmly in prog, and those Oberheims did sound sweet.  Who's the keyboard player for Rush?  Geddy Lee?  Yay, he's my favorite keyboard player!

I imagine that's how it went down.

Looks like I'm doing the Rush - Live in Cleveland Hat trick.

I'll be watching the two-hour edit on Rushashana, the watching whole thing on the big screen Oct. 26 (once theaters are announced at https://www.rushtimemachinepremiere.com/  ) and buying my copy the weekend before it comes out.

Of course, Nick has all of us one better.

-Marc.

No irony about that. It was intentional.

dbrroks22:

On the topic of ASOH, I have been listening to a bootleg from 1988 from Birmingham, AL.  It is awesome - the band is just so tight.  And Neil has that energy that i mentioned a few pages back in this thread.  Marathon, Lock and Key, Mission... really an awesome show from an awesome era.

Not too familiar with this one (might have it on tape which would explain a lot). I should look to see if I have it. I haven't been listening to those mid-to-late '80s shows much over the last several years for whatever reason, but whenever I do I'm always impressed by how much they really nailed what they were doing. NOBODY was doing that then. Even tribute bands rarely touch that stuff (and Mission isn't all that hot on that Magna Carta disc).

I'm not sure if i ever really appreciated that era live as much as I probably should have when it happened. I guess I wasn't an experienced enough listener to really pick out the subtleties.

Neil didn't really start to swing until he studied with Freddy Gruber. I know there there was a lot more energy in the past, but I really like the way he plays now too. That's not to say I wouldn't ever listen to the solo on that first tour or the one from Permanent Waves. (If it's energy you're looking for from senior drummers, how about checking out the Carl Palmer Band?)

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #1525 on: September 24, 2011, 06:53:49 AM »
A work associate gave me this 1988 bootleg some years ago.  I swear it sounds better than some recorded albums.  I don't know how the boot came out so perfect.  They guy told me that it was a pretty famous bootleg. 

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1526 on: September 24, 2011, 07:54:09 AM »
A work associate gave me this 1988 bootleg some years ago.  I swear it sounds better than some recorded albums.  I don't know how the boot came out so perfect.  They guy told me that it was a pretty famous bootleg. 

What's it called?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #1527 on: September 24, 2011, 08:21:09 AM »
Seeing Marathon live with all those amazing effects was a fantastic experience.

But before we go any further let's let Will go into detail about it.   ;)

lol.

Joy in it's purest form. I really can't describe how I felt. But when I heard those first 3 notes, nothing else in the world mattered.

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #1528 on: September 24, 2011, 09:06:39 AM »
He burned a copy for me - it just says Live in Birmingham, 1988

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1529 on: September 24, 2011, 12:42:39 PM »
He burned a copy for me - it just says Live in Birmingham, 1988

OH, Birmingham, ENGLAND! (I was confused when you typed Alabama)

That's essentially the full A Show Of Hands show, right?

As I recall, it's a mix of the A Show of Hands CD/DVD and adds Lock And Key from the Laserdisc.

If you can point me in the direction of the tracklist, I'd be able to tell right away if it was the whole show.

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #1530 on: September 24, 2011, 01:05:02 PM »
It was definitely the whole show... and i didn't even realize it was England, thanks!  Returning your PM>

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #1531 on: September 24, 2011, 07:48:30 PM »
Man, as much as i love DT, it's really hard to listen to their lyrics after listening to Rush...

"When the dust has cleared
And victory denied
A summit too lofty
River a little too wide
If we keep our pride
Though paradise is lost
We will pay the price,
But we will not count the cost "

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #1532 on: September 24, 2011, 08:51:40 PM »
Well, something like "Voices" stands up well compared to Rush lyrics.  "The Count Of Tuscany?"  Not so much!

Though I guess we can always make a little fun of Neil for:

"Net boy,
Net girl
..."

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #1533 on: September 24, 2011, 10:34:00 PM »

"Net boy,
Net girl
..."

Yeah, that was pretty horrible, wasn't it?  :lol

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #1534 on: September 24, 2011, 10:35:50 PM »
It took me a Dog Year to get over that boehner.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1535 on: September 24, 2011, 10:37:12 PM »

"Net boy,
Net girl
..."

Yeah, that was pretty horrible, wasn't it?  :lol

Still better than...

"Dog years - It's the season of the itch
Dog years - With every scratch it reappears
Dog years - For every sad son of a bitch
Dog years - With his tail between his ears"

-Marc.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #1536 on: September 24, 2011, 10:38:13 PM »
T'was so bad, I thought I was going bald!

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #1537 on: September 25, 2011, 03:57:15 AM »
Yeah, but "Dog Years" was written as a joke, and IIRC when Neil was drunk or at least drinking.  The "Virtuality" chorus is just so cheesy -- though I still  love the song for that wicked guitar lead.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1538 on: September 25, 2011, 05:20:40 AM »
Well, reading all this I'll need to play T4E today!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #1539 on: September 25, 2011, 06:12:10 AM »
Man, as much as i love DT, it's really hard to listen to their lyrics after listening to Rush...

"When the dust has cleared
And victory denied
A summit too lofty
River a little too wide
If we keep our pride
Though paradise is lost
We will pay the price,
But we will not count the cost "

:hefdaddy

"I clutch the wire fence until my fingers bleed
A wound that will not heal
A heart that cannot feel