Author Topic: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels  (Read 507958 times)

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
Re: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels
« Reply #1400 on: September 09, 2011, 07:49:52 AM »
I'm not a big Counterparts fan. It contains a few of the worst Rush songs ever. Cut to the Chase and Leave That Thing Alone are great, though. Why don't they play CTTC live?

Agreed - i always thought CTTC was the perfect live rocker.  I am mystified that they have never played it....

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #1401 on: September 09, 2011, 07:35:29 PM »
Can't believe no one mentioned this.

Not only is today the birthday of lonestar and hefdaddy, but it's also 29 years to the day Signals was brought to us.  I wasn't around then, but I bet there was much rejoicing. 

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #1402 on: September 10, 2011, 08:00:03 AM »
Something i can't figure out - in the documentary from last year, Geddy says that Power Windows was the "final and essential" blending of guitars and keyboards.  But HYF, Presto, and even RTB are full of them.  This statement confused me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1403 on: September 10, 2011, 08:11:01 AM »
I suspect he means that Power Windows was when they finally got it right, meaning the blending and balancing of guitars and keyboards together as lead instruments.   Yes, they were still on later albums,  but they were a bit too high and tinny on Hold Your Fire, and they started scaling them back on both Presto and Roll the Bones.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1404 on: September 10, 2011, 08:29:30 AM »
I suspect he means that Power Windows was when they finally got it right, meaning the blending and balancing of guitars and keyboards together as lead instruments.   Yes, they were still on later albums,  but they were a bit too high and tinny on Hold Your Fire, and they started scaling them back on both Presto and Roll the Bones.

I remember Geddy saying that the songs from Presto & RTB were much more rocking live and they wanted the live feel.  Hence CP. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #1405 on: September 10, 2011, 08:31:50 AM »
On the subject of live feel, if you saw them live on VT tour, how did the songs off of that turn out on stage?

I do not like the production on it, but the songs are good to great, and I imagine that they'd sound even better with just the trio, live, no overdubs, and no brickwall.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1406 on: September 10, 2011, 12:00:03 PM »
On the subject of live feel, if you saw them live on VT tour, how did the songs off of that turn out on stage?

I do not like the production on it, but the songs are good to great, and I imagine that they'd sound even better with just the trio, live, no overdubs, and no brickwall.

I was lucky enough to see them play Ceiling Unlimited on the opening night of the VT tour in Hartford before they took it out of the set list.  (They were alternating it with Ghost Rider)

One Little Victory
Ceiling Unlimited
Ghost Rider
Secret Touch
Earthshine

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #1407 on: September 10, 2011, 01:30:07 PM »
In particular, Earthshine and Secret Touch were majestic onstage on the VT tour. 

I saw a few shows that tour, one of which was in Chicago wherein they completely botched La Villa.  Had never seen them botch before....

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1408 on: September 10, 2011, 06:24:08 PM »
The Speed Of Love and Stick It Out are my least favorite from Counterparts.

If I recall correctly, I think Stick It Out was an Alex choice because of the "riffage."

I guess I'm one of the few that also considers Presto a favorite save for Superconductor.  Geddy has said (more than once on tours) that The Pass is a favorite and Geddy and Alex have said in a few interviews that the tour arrangement of Presto was fun to play as well. I doubt Neil would want to play Chain Lightning ever because he specifically mentioned during period interviews being partly inspired to write that by spending time with his daughter.

The band consensus seems to be that many of the Presto songs didn't really live up to their potential, but they might realize now (since they did play Presto) that other songs might be rearranged to their liking live and therefore played.

For whatever reason, I don't really think that the Presto era was a happy time for the band (though they've never came out and said exactly why). Many of the live shows that I've seen/heard (3 in person and a few dozen on audio/video) they just didn't seem very inspired.

And Alex flat out says I'm wrong with this quote from Much Music in 1990"
"Before Presto, we were pretty exhausted from our touring. We took a good break and got back into  that record with a lot of enthusiasum. And the tour that followed was probably one of the best tours we've ever done, it was paced well and we went to play really good parts of America. Not all of the good parts mind you, just some of the good parts!"

As far as Power Windows being the perfect blending of guitars and keys, I think he means that Hold Your Fire went over the edge with keyboards (This is discussed in the documentary -- interviews at the time quote Geddy saying Rush wanted to be "the world's smallest symphony orchestra").  At the time, I thought thought the band had painted themselves into a corner with the keyboards and they were either going to break up or go classical. That said, I love Alex's guitar work on Hold Your Fire. They went as far as they could go in that direction and had to pull back a little for Presto.

And as Kev has already said, Presto and Roll The Bones still had keyboards, but they weren't the primary focus and were basically used as seasoning.

I wouldn't mind if they played Vapor Trails from start to finish live but I know I'm in the minority with that thought. That was a great tour and the songs played live sounded so much better than the record.

Oh and Test for Echo is 15 years old today. If I didn't listen to this a week ago, I'd already be playing it now.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #1409 on: September 10, 2011, 07:11:50 PM »
TFE fifteen years old?  Now I feel dated...

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #1410 on: September 10, 2011, 07:13:02 PM »
In addition, Signals will be 30 a year from yesterday! 

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #1411 on: September 10, 2011, 07:18:16 PM »
Yeah, Signals doesn't having any bearing on how I feel about my age.  But I remember when TFE came out and I was in high school... and now that was fifteen years ago!!!  Oh well, I'm sure half the world feels the same way; we're all driven by aging in one way or another.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #1412 on: September 10, 2011, 07:22:35 PM »
The fact that Rush has only released studio 2 albums since TFE and 3 in my entire lifetime makes me feel born too late. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1413 on: September 10, 2011, 10:27:09 PM »
I still find it bizarre that all three guys are on record as absolutely loving The Pass, yet they rarely play it.  Since reuniting, it was played on the VT tour and not a single time since.  Seems strange for a song they all love so much.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1414 on: September 11, 2011, 04:49:13 AM »
I don't know Kev.  Sometimes it's good to let a song sit for a few tours.  I'd wish they would do that with songs like Tom Sawyer but the fringe fans would put up a stink.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1415 on: September 11, 2011, 07:56:15 AM »
Tom Sawyer is too iconic and popular to not always play.  And that is fine by me.  I still enjoy the hell out of it every single time I see it. :metal

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1416 on: September 11, 2011, 07:58:12 AM »
I'm surprised they haven't gotten sick of playing Tom Sawyer.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1417 on: September 11, 2011, 07:59:51 AM »
Tom Sawyer is too iconic and popular to not always play.  And that is fine by me.  I still enjoy the hell out of it every single time I see it. :metal

Oh I understand that but even Limelight and CTTH has been pulled.  It's just me being a spoiled Rush brat wanting to see different songs.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1418 on: September 11, 2011, 08:01:04 AM »
As someone who's never seen Rush live, I'd be pissed if I saw them and they neglected Tom Sawyer. I suppose that makes me part of the problem. :p

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #1419 on: September 11, 2011, 08:04:35 AM »
I wish Rush would release the new album already! Maybe they should change the title of it to, Clockwork Democracy.

and as a fan who has seen Rush 37 times, I say they must always play Tom Sawyer. It would be wrong not to, imo.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #1420 on: September 11, 2011, 08:05:04 AM »
I am so tired of The Spirit of Radio, among others.  Tom Sawyer is great though, and thankfully will always be on the setlist.  But Rush has such a goldmine of a catalog... there are just SO many songs that would make real fans' dreams come true.  Alex is on the record saying he'd love to do a B-sides tour in smaller venues.  That would be the greatest gift to the fans who have been loyal for so many years.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1421 on: September 11, 2011, 08:07:29 AM »
\
and as a fan who has seen Rush 37 times

Holy shit, Tick. Does anyone on DTF have your record beaten?

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #1422 on: September 11, 2011, 08:16:32 AM »
Here's my dream B-sides tour (i am creating this off the cuff fyi.  Some of these aren't B-sides but they don't play them so they might as well be)

Cinderella Man
Circumstances (Yeah i know they already played it and it ROCKED!)
AFTK
Jacob's Ladder
Analog Kid (was great on VT tour)
Countdown
Afterimage (I know they probably won't play it but i LOVE this song.  So raw and emotional)
Kid Gloves
Emotion Detector
Lock and Key
Force Ten
Hand over Fist
Available Light
Big Wheel
Ghost of a Chance
Double Agent
Cut to the Chase

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #1423 on: September 11, 2011, 08:40:53 AM »
\

I don't know. Maybe, King? He has been a diehard fan as well.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #1424 on: September 11, 2011, 08:44:50 AM »
Not related to Rush, but I saw Aerosmith one time and they didn't play Dream On. THAT was really weird.  :lol

I love Tom Sawyer, but honestly live it doesn't do much for me. The only complaint I have about Rush is they slow down a few of their songs, and I understand at their age and how extensively they tour, it is natural, but it completely kills the energy of the song for me.

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #1425 on: September 11, 2011, 08:50:11 AM »
I think they have been making an effort not to slow down songs lately.  When i saw the Snakes and Arrows Tour, Limelight's tempo was painfully slow.  But on the TM tour, they brought it back up to normal speed.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1426 on: September 11, 2011, 08:53:05 AM »
Agreed about Limelight on the S&A tour.  It was slowed down so much, it looked like Peart was playing the verses in slow motion.  I really didn't notice it when I saw the concert, but when I got the live DVD, it was pretty obvious. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1427 on: September 11, 2011, 11:48:54 AM »
\

I don't know. Maybe, King? He has been a diehard fan as well.

I think Ytse has us all.  I've seen them 28 times.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1428 on: September 11, 2011, 06:19:53 PM »
One of my greatest regrets was not being able to afford decent seats on the Time Machine Tour. I was so far back, it almost felt like I wasn't even there. Don't get me wrong, it was still incredible, but anywhere with-in the first 20 rows was up in the $300 dollar range and it was just impossible at the time. It was my first Rush Concert and I loved it, But I swear, on the Clockwork Angels tour, I shall remedy that mistake. 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1429 on: September 12, 2011, 11:26:38 PM »
I still find it bizarre that all three guys are on record as absolutely loving The Pass, yet they rarely play it.  Since reuniting, it was played on the VT tour and not a single time since.  Seems strange for a song they all love so much.

Well, they played it on every tour since its release through the Vapor Trails tour (except for the Test for Echo Tour) and have not played it since.

My guess is that they have been recognizing/rediscovering their past over the last 15 years and it just got lost.

It's only been gone for three tours (although it seems longer because of the passage of time for both the Snakes and Arrows and the Time Machine Tours)

R30 was kind of the classic nostalgia tour whereas Snakes and Arrows had Snakes and Arrows songs (Which I loved, but others didn't) and The Time Machine Tour had Presto (which pretty much eliminated another song from that album being played).

It's also on the Rush In Rio set so there is not really a need for a live document (a weak argument because there have been other songs that have appeared on live albums more times and more frequently).

I think it just comes down to having too many cool songs and not enough time to play them. It wouldn't surprise me if it comes back for the next tour although I'd probably want to hear something else a bit more rare (or something else I'd like to hear more) because I've seen it whenever they've played it.

As far as Rush shows go, I used to have this committed to memory, but I think I'm at 37 or 38 (I'd have to check my stubs).

The set usually determines if I go more than once a leg. 

I'm kind of surprised nobody mentioned it was Neil's birthday yesterday.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1430 on: September 13, 2011, 12:08:31 AM »
The Pass was not played on the CP tour.  Show Don't Tell was the only Presto song played on that tour. 

But I agree that it has probably gotten lost amongst all of the other older songs they have brought back since the 30th anniversary tour. 

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #1431 on: September 13, 2011, 07:20:33 AM »
I wonder what is going to happen to Rush as they get older.  Their setlist is very demanding, and the players are all perfectionists.  Despite some signs of aging, they all seem to agree that they are playing better now than ever - "peaking", if you will.  Neil is 59 now, and the others 58 - they are bound to start losing some dexterity very soon.  I wonder how they will handle that... if they will keep going or throw in the towel as soon as they feel that their abilities are declining...

For the record, I know that Neil thinks he is better now than ever.  And i wouldn't disagree with that - his learning curve continues to ascend and he's constantly absorbing new lessons.  But personally, i preferred Neil's playing from the early 80s.  His youthful drumming was so much more energetic and vital.  Sure, it was more linear, but that fit Rush perfectly. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1432 on: September 13, 2011, 11:37:03 AM »
Interesting point about Neil and how his playing has changed over the years, and I agree with you.  Sure, he's a machine.  Precise, and what he plays always fits the music perfectly.  But going back and listening to stuff like "By-Tor and the Snow Dog" reminds us how impressive he was when he was a bag of youthful energy.  And he was just as precise then.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1433 on: September 15, 2011, 01:22:11 PM »
Dunno if that had previously been posted or not, but here's a post on the a biker forum, from one "Richard S. Foster".  The author of "A Nice Morning Drive", the basis for Red Barchetta.  Apparently the Neil tried to reach him when they wrote the song, but Road and Track didn't have a current address for him.  Eventually Foster learns of the connection and contacts him.  They go for a ride together, between shows.  Extremely cool read.

https://www.bmwbmw.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8693&hilit=drummer

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1434 on: September 15, 2011, 02:41:41 PM »
Awesome!  I started reading the whole thing, but had to resort to just skimming partway through when I realized how long it was.  I read the original story "A Nice Morning Drive" back in the 80's, and wow, it's so cool that the guy who wrote the story actually got to ride with Neil.