Author Topic: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels  (Read 508235 times)

Offline TL

Re: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels
« Reply #1365 on: September 07, 2011, 12:00:55 PM »
Counterparts is a great album. TSoL is the only weak spot.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1366 on: September 07, 2011, 03:55:58 PM »
Counterparts is a great album. TSoL is the only weak spot.

Amen.  1000% correct.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1367 on: September 07, 2011, 05:45:21 PM »
Random thought: Leave That Thing Alone is my favorite instrumental of all time, if only because it reminds me of the Stardust Speedway level from Sonic CD, and old Sonic games have my favorite video game music. That and it's just rockin' on its own anyway.

I guess this is the part where I admit that whenever I put Leave That Thing Alone on a mix disc I always follow it with the Different Stages version. Pure bliss.

I've also put this song one repeat for hours on end sometimes and soak up the genius.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #1368 on: September 07, 2011, 06:23:13 PM »
LTTA is great, but I'm not a huge fan of Counterparts. I know people say it's one of their best later albums, but I think it is just a bit too bland. Some songs are really good, but as an album it doesn't cut it for me.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #1369 on: September 07, 2011, 07:50:47 PM »
I'm not a big Counterparts fan. It contains a few of the worst Rush songs ever. Cut to the Chase and Leave That Thing Alone are great, though. Why don't they play CTTC live?
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1370 on: September 07, 2011, 08:08:32 PM »
I don't think there's a bad song on Counterparts.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1371 on: September 07, 2011, 08:25:24 PM »
Counterparts is perfect as is.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1372 on: September 07, 2011, 08:26:00 PM »
No album with Stick it Out is perfect. :p
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #1373 on: September 07, 2011, 08:29:43 PM »
Nobody's Hero, Alien Shore, and Cold Fire are crap.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1374 on: September 07, 2011, 08:33:45 PM »
Except those are all great songs.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #1375 on: September 07, 2011, 08:34:08 PM »
Stick it Out always makes me think of dicks

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1376 on: September 07, 2011, 09:08:41 PM »
I don't get the problem with Stick it Out.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #1377 on: September 07, 2011, 09:11:34 PM »
STICK OUT YOUR TONGUE
DON'T SWALLOW MY SEED

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1378 on: September 07, 2011, 09:40:32 PM »
I was thinking about starting a whole new thread to ask these questions, but I realized that would be pointless.

1. what are the best rush 'starter' albums?
currently I've really gotten into Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves, but I know that I'm missing out on a lot of the other not-so-popular stuff. Suggestions?

Also, 2. What are your favorite classic prog rock albums? Including the two rush albums I have, my other favorite is Yes's Fragile. As I am pretty new to the genre I am also looking for a lot more suggestions.

thanks
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1379 on: September 07, 2011, 09:44:55 PM »
First off, your a noob, what do you think you're doing making smart decisions and such?

Secondly you have the two best starter albums. I would suggest moving to what are my two favorite albums ever (answering your 2nd question), and what are stylistically similar to Permanent Waves, A Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #1380 on: September 07, 2011, 09:47:05 PM »
I was thinking about starting a whole new thread to ask these questions, but I realized that would be pointless.

currently I've really gotten into Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves, but I know that I'm missing out on a lot of the other not-so-popular stuff. Suggestions?

Also, 2. What are your favorite classic prog rock albums? Including the two rush albums I have, my other favorite is Yes's Fragile. As I am pretty new to the genre I am also looking for a lot more suggestions.

thanks

Definitely go to 2112, A Farewell to Kings, and Hemispheres next. After that, I'd hit their earlier 70s output and then move on to their 80s albums.

As for classic prog... these are all great albums
King Crimson - In The Court of the Crimson King
Yes - Close to the Edge
Genesis - Foxtrot
Pink Floyd - Meddle/Animals
Jethro Tull - Aqualung

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #1381 on: September 07, 2011, 09:48:38 PM »
Don't mean to revive a dead debate, but Nobody's Hero and Cold Fire are my favorites off of CP.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1382 on: September 07, 2011, 10:06:01 PM »
Cut to the Chase and Leave That Thing Alone are great, though. Why don't they play CTTC live?

I'd love for them to finally play that live, if only to see Lerxst nail that wonderful solo.

Counterparts is perfect as is.

Truth.

Crazy talk.

I don't get the problem with Stick it Out.

It's nothing special, but it is fine for what it is: a straight-forward rocker.  Plus, it being the first single from CP, at the time, given that Rush hadn't really gone heavy in a long time, when you first heard that riff, it was like, "Woah, they are ready to really rock again."

Aside from those two, albums like 2112, A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows, Counterparts and even Roll the Bones would be good places to go next.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1383 on: September 08, 2011, 12:45:18 AM »

Cold Fire and Nobody's Hero are awesome!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #1384 on: September 08, 2011, 07:44:24 AM »
I would go from MP and PW to an 80's or 90's album, for reasons stated in the previous page of this thread.  If you stick with 76-81 Rush, it will be harder to understand mid to late 80's Rush.  You should try Roll the Bones or Presto next - just so you can experience the other side of the spectrum.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1385 on: September 08, 2011, 08:07:39 AM »
I am all for trying the other end of the spectrum, but, for God's sake, do NOT go with Presto next.  I know there is a small contingent of the fanbase that swears by it, but it is generally one of the least favorites by the fans AND by the band.  I would save that till the very end, along with Test for Echo. 

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #1386 on: September 08, 2011, 09:11:32 AM »
I am all for trying the other end of the spectrum, but, for God's sake, do NOT go with Presto next.  I know there is a small contingent of the fanbase that swears by it, but it is generally one of the least favorites by the fans AND by the band.

Incorrect.  This is categorically NOT one of the band's least favorites.  They dusted it off and brought out the title track Presto on the Time Machine tour.  And "The Pass" is one of their favorite songs.  Presto is musical gold, but it is very far from mainstream Rush, and doesn't sound like anything the band did 10yrs prior (or after).  It will take some time to assimilate, but you will certainly be rewarded for it.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 09:23:03 AM by dbrooks22 »

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1387 on: September 08, 2011, 10:17:27 AM »
Um, there is no arguing that Presto is generally one of the fan bases least favorite Rush albums. And although the band has stated they love The Pass, they've been lukewarm on other aspects of the album in the band's biographies and such.

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #1388 on: September 08, 2011, 10:22:36 AM »
Um, there is no arguing that Presto is generally one of the fan bases least favorite Rush albums. And although the band has stated they love The Pass, they've been lukewarm on other aspects of the album in the band's biographies and such.

I'm not disagreeing about the fanbase.  Hell, much of the 'fanbase' (including Portnoy) abandoned Rush as they moved toward electronic sounds in the 80's.  I know that the band was not happy with the over-production of Presto (as with the other Rupert Hine album, RTB), but has always been very happy with the songs themselves.  
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 10:35:13 AM by dbrooks22 »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1389 on: September 08, 2011, 10:44:35 AM »
That's not true either.  In the Contents Under Pressure book, Peart stated how they felt like the songs didn't live up to their potential, and Geddy said how the songs were interesting, but not great, and how they don't look at that album and think, "This is our best work."  They even said that Roll the Bones had much stronger songs (as it was easy to compare the two since they had similar production, although RtB had a tad more oomph).  I think the fact that songs from the album have gotten very little live play since they reunited in the early 00s says a lot; The Pass was played on the VT tour, the title track was played on the Time Machine tour, and that's it.  

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #1390 on: September 08, 2011, 01:37:38 PM »
That's not true either.  In the Contents Under Pressure book, Peart stated how they felt like the songs didn't live up to their potential, and Geddy said how the songs were interesting, but not great, and how they don't look at that album and think, "This is our best work."  They even said that Roll the Bones had much stronger songs (as it was easy to compare the two since they had similar production, although RtB had a tad more oomph).  I think the fact that songs from the album have gotten very little live play since they reunited in the early 00s says a lot; The Pass was played on the VT tour, the title track was played on the Time Machine tour, and that's it. 

I don't disagree with what you have said here.  The band has been justifyably critical of aspects of the album.  And i agree with most that RTB has stronger songs.  But there is a difference between not thinking an album is "Our best work" and "this is one of our least favorite albums."  Plus, the members of Rush tend to change their opinions about their back catalogue as time goes on.  For example, Neil has stated several times over the past few years that he looks at MP as their "first" album.  Which pretty much discounts all of the genius recorded beforehand.  (After Presto was released, Neil thought it was their best album to date.  It was actually the only reason he agreed to tour - he wanted people to hear it).  And everyone knows how Alex felt about the band's synth-heavy work in the 80's.  So you have Peart discounting everything from the 70s, and Lifeson discounting most of the 80s.  And yet all 3 of them seem to agree that Stick it Out should be on the setlist tour after tour (blah)...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1391 on: September 08, 2011, 06:22:22 PM »
If I had a nickel for every time a musician called his newest album his best, I'd be sitting on a throne right now. :lol  Musicians always think their newest album is either their best or one of their best.  Hell, Alex Lifeson at one point thought Vapor Trails was Rush's best album. :eek :eek :eek

Also, Alex wasn't wild about the synth stuff at the time, but he has, by his own admission, come around to really liking a lot of that material.   

And it is not like Stick It Out has been on the setlist tour after tour, like you said.  It hadn't been played since 1997 until the Time Machine tour of the past year plus.  Granted, it was still an odd choice, but it's not like it has been a live mainstay of any kind.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #1392 on: September 08, 2011, 07:37:05 PM »
For some reason, I feel like I remember reading that in devising the set-list, each member was allowed to pick one or two songs that were "untouchable."  And I think "Stick It Out" was one of Geddy's because of the prominent bass part.  Not sure how Alex feels about the song, but I'm sure Peart doesn't view it as one of his lyrical masterpieces.  Anyway, if this recollection is accurate, and it may not be, then that means there wasn't even unified agreement on the song.

EDIT: BTW, I love "Stick It Out."  One of my favorites off an excellent, excellent record.

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #1393 on: September 08, 2011, 07:52:46 PM »
If I had a nickel for every time a musician called his newest album his best, I'd be sitting on a throne right now. :lol  Musicians always think their newest album is either their best or one of their best.  Hell, Alex Lifeson at one point thought Vapor Trails was Rush's best album. :eek :eek :eek

Also, Alex wasn't wild about the synth stuff at the time, but he has, by his own admission, come around to really liking a lot of that material.  

And it is not like Stick It Out has been on the setlist tour after tour, like you said.  It hadn't been played since 1997 until the Time Machine tour of the past year plus.  Granted, it was still an odd choice, but it's not like it has been a live mainstay of any kind.

Yeah, i was going to say that.... Rush is one of those bands that always thinks their latest record is their best.  They do a good job convincing me too... but after a few years the threads come bare.

Wow - has it been that long since they had SIO on the setlist?  I'm getting old.  But you know why that song is etched in my Rush-concert memory?  Because the crowd cheering goes silent whenever they play it.  It's hard not to notice.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1394 on: September 08, 2011, 07:53:12 PM »

I don't even.......  WAT?!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #1395 on: September 08, 2011, 08:06:04 PM »
And yet all 3 of them seem to agree that Stick it Out should be on the setlist tour after tour (blah)...

I think when i was typing this before i was getting it mixed up with that other piece of garbage that they insist on playing tour after tour - One Little Victory.  

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1396 on: September 08, 2011, 08:22:20 PM »
Yeah, I wish they would ditch One Little Victory as well.  The intro is awesome, but the rest is pretty meh.  I suspect they have a personal fondness for it because of the significance.

I remember them talking years ago about how they each had one song (or was it two?) that they could put in the set list and the other two couldn't veto it.  I assume they still do it, but I just haven't seen or heard them talk about it in a long time.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #1397 on: September 08, 2011, 09:16:05 PM »
I remember them talking years ago about how they each had one song (or was it two?) that they could put in the set list and the other two couldn't veto it.  I assume they still do it, but I just haven't seen or heard them talk about it in a long time.
Maybe I just made my own logical jump in concluding "Stick It Out" to be one such song.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #1398 on: September 08, 2011, 09:29:41 PM »
What are the other two picks then?

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #1399 on: September 08, 2011, 09:33:09 PM »
I don't know if they've ever said, or even if they admitted "Stick It Out" was one.  I think I may have just assumed it was one because I knew of the practice and also because Neil IIRC kinda slammed it in Contents Under Pressure.