Author Topic: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels  (Read 506267 times)

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
Re: The Rush Thread v. Clockwork Angels
« Reply #350 on: November 18, 2010, 12:34:14 PM »
As long as Marathon makes it at least really close to the top ten we're cool.

Except Rivendell is not better than Anthem. At all

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #351 on: November 18, 2010, 12:36:42 PM »
Marathon is definitely a top 10 for me as well. But my favorite is still Cygnus X-1, then La Villa, then Natural Science.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #352 on: November 18, 2010, 12:43:26 PM »
As long as Marathon makes it at least really close to the top ten we're cool.

Except Rivendell is not better than Anthem. At all
I wouldn't disappoint you PLM, now would I?  ;)

And I used to really like Rivendell but its grown off on me. Still, I'm not a huge fan of Anthem, but you'll have to wait! Rush have too many good songs so this is definitely not easy :P
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #353 on: November 18, 2010, 12:49:57 PM »
Top ten? Psh. Marathon is top 1

Almost. Top 3 for me, along with Xanadu and The Camera Eye.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #354 on: November 18, 2010, 08:10:09 PM »
Well, I managed to forge a list together, starting from the bottom up (If I started from #1 and on I would have missed a song, somewhere). Thing is, its mostly from memory so I'm going to relisten to each album so I can restructure it so it becomes a bit more accurate. :P

Plus it would be cool to have some writeups already done by the time I start this.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #355 on: November 18, 2010, 08:42:03 PM »
I relistened to Test for Echo again today. Still don't like the album but I realized the album has 3 gems. Driven, Time and Motion, and Resist are really good songs stuck in an album of mediocrity.

I remain firm in my stance that Test for Echo is an incredibly underrated album and my personal favourite from the 90s, even if most dont agree.
Nevertheless, I'm glad that you discovered the 3 best songs on that album (imo, Time and Motion, at the time, was the best song they had done since Lock and Key).
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #356 on: November 18, 2010, 08:58:47 PM »
Just stopping by to say there has never been a band that makes music enjoyable on so many levels as Rush.

And Permanent Waves is the most perfect thing ever.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #357 on: November 18, 2010, 09:28:05 PM »
When I think of Test for Echo, I think of this guy I worked with for a short while who was also a musician, one of the few times I actually worked with someone I could talk music with.  We discovered that Rush was a band we both liked, even though I was somewhat out of touch with them at the time, and he was reading the credits on Test for Echo, which included Hammered dulcimer.  He asked me where it was, and I had no idea, being not very familiar with TFE.  Days later, I'd forgotten about it, and he came and grabbed me over to his cubicle and put his headphones on me.  "Found it!" he said, and I heard it, suddenly remembered our conversation, and laughed.

I don't remember now what song it was.  It was in the middle of a jam, and just added for texture, but it was really cool.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #358 on: November 19, 2010, 07:11:37 AM »
I relistened to Test for Echo again today. Still don't like the album but I realized the album has 3 gems. Driven, Time and Motion, and Resist are really good songs stuck in an album of mediocrity.

I remain firm in my stance that Test for Echo is an incredibly underrated album and my personal favourite from the 90s, even if most dont agree.
Nevertheless, I'm glad that you discovered the 3 best songs on that album (imo, Time and Motion, at the time, was the best song they had done since Lock and Key).
Well, I think there are a number of songs on HYF better than Lock and Key and a good number of great songs on Presto, RtB and even a few gems on Counterparts too (I don't think Counterparts is bad, just a lot of the album blends together for me) :P

Still, Driven is a goddamned masterpiece in my eyes. Time and Motion/Resist are excellent as well.

Edit: It seems my recent opinion of Hold Your Fire is steadily improving with each listen.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #359 on: November 19, 2010, 10:17:03 AM »
So I just found out that my friend's band that I am playing bass for wants to cover "Subdivisions" at our first show.

I don't know how I feel about this. I love Rush and they are my favorite band, but I don't really want to do a cover, especially when its Rush and everyone is going to be looking to me expecting a good rendition of Geddy Lee's lines. Most of the song seems like typical Geddy grooves, but that first little scale climb... yikes.  :(

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #360 on: November 19, 2010, 10:29:37 AM »
Well, the bass in Subdivisions isn't bad at all until the chorus and the solo section, and even then, they're pretty easy, comparatively, to the rest of the catalog. 

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #361 on: November 19, 2010, 10:45:51 AM »
Those fills are tough starting out, but PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. At the end of it you'll be saying "holy hell why did I ever think this was hard?"

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #362 on: November 19, 2010, 10:49:21 AM »
Those fills are tough starting out, but PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. At the end of it you'll be saying "holy hell why did I ever think this was hard?"

I just dunno if I'll have enough time. :( I'm not too great of a bassist. The sixteenth into thirtysecond notes are gonna kill me, and I have 20 minutes of music I have to learn on top of this cover.

I'm playing along with the guitar pro file and I'm having trouble just keeping up with that first fill at only half speed.  :lol

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #363 on: November 22, 2010, 09:43:34 AM »
Ok, so Rush are touring the UK in May but the tickets are REALLY, REALLY, REALLY expensive.

Basically I need to know if Rush are amazing enough live for me to blow £60 on, bearing in mind that I'm a fairly big fan of the band but not a massive, massive fan.

???
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #364 on: November 22, 2010, 10:27:58 AM »
They are certainly amazing enough.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #365 on: November 22, 2010, 11:10:02 AM »
Ok, so Rush are touring the UK in May but the tickets are REALLY, REALLY, REALLY expensive.

Basically I need to know if Rush are amazing enough live for me to blow £60 on, bearing in mind that I'm a fairly big fan of the band but not a massive, massive fan.

???

Best show you'll ever see. Seriously

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #366 on: November 22, 2010, 11:43:07 AM »

???

Yes. 1000x yes. They are one of the best live bands in my opinion. Part of it is the audience too... the audience is filled with people that genuinely LOVE the band, so it creates a great atmosphere. But the band is in top form every night.

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #367 on: November 22, 2010, 03:30:17 PM »
Seriously, I still view the Rush concert as the best thing that's happened in my life (so far).

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #368 on: November 22, 2010, 05:14:31 PM »

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #369 on: November 23, 2010, 03:19:19 AM »

???

They are brilliant live but if I wasn't a big fan I wouldn't pay £60 to see anyone. I am a huge fan and I won't pay £60! £75 with booking fee!!! By contrast Maiden are £37. I was looking forward to seeing them again but that price is taking the piss and it's time to take a stand. If they were playing the whole of AFTK I probably would pay it but there will be a high quotient of post 1990 tracks (even if they play the whole of MP on this tour) so it's goodbye from me.

Offline 3MinuteWarning

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #370 on: November 23, 2010, 04:29:07 PM »
Yeah I feel a bit cheated by the prices.  It kinda goes against the whole working man thing.  70% price increase in 3 years...get a grip.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #371 on: November 23, 2010, 05:12:04 PM »
People are willing to pay for it, and whoever sets the price naturally wants to make a profit. That's business; that's life.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #372 on: November 23, 2010, 05:37:59 PM »
I'll pay anything to see them but I'm just a maniac! Maaaannniiiaaaccc!

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #373 on: November 24, 2010, 12:15:36 AM »
And now for something different:

You know, if HYF wouldn't have Tai Shan and High Water on it, it would be easily able to hold up against P/G and PoW. This album gets too much flak.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #374 on: November 24, 2010, 12:35:56 AM »
The album isn't great, but its not bad either. However, I'd take P/G and PoW over HYF any day, so it doesn't get too many plays from me.

Still, when I do play through I enjoy it.

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #375 on: November 24, 2010, 01:51:42 AM »
UK presale happening 9am at https://www.planetrock.com/

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #376 on: November 24, 2010, 02:12:01 AM »
On the cost:
There are actually 4 prices. £75, £65, £55 and £45. You'll be allocated seating depending on the price you choose. I chose £55 and got block 113 in the Manchester MEN.

As a side note:
I GOT FUCKIN RUSH TICKETS YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #377 on: November 24, 2010, 04:17:03 AM »
I'll take HYF over TFE any day...

And I owe a huge apology to the song Vital Signs. I hated it when I was younger and have always skipped it since, but I was watching an excellent boot of the columbus Ohio gig from this tour and the song clicked. No more skipping it and the album is now a start to finish classic.

Now to listen to Hemispheres side one with new ears...

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #378 on: November 24, 2010, 07:14:24 AM »
On the cost:
There are actually 4 prices. £75, £65, £55 and £45. You'll be allocated seating depending on the price you choose. I chose £55 and got block 113 in the Manchester MEN.

As a side note:
I GOT FUCKIN RUSH TICKETS YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Not the best angle.... but all that matters is that you'll be there :metal

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #379 on: November 24, 2010, 04:21:43 PM »
And now for something different:

You know, if HYF wouldn't have Tai Shan and High Water on it, it would be easily able to hold up against P/G and PoW. This album gets too much flak.

Hold Your Fire was the first Rush studio album to acknowledge the CD age and be more than 50 minutes.  So at least one extra song was written with that in mind.

That said, the musicianship on Hold Your Fire is off the charts. 

I think it holds up to the two that came before it. Unfortunately, they had painted themselves into a stylistic corner and could not go any farther in that direction which is why they stepped back a bit for Presto.

It's definately an album that requires more than a few listens because there is a lot under the surface that you don't pick up on right away.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #380 on: November 24, 2010, 10:11:22 PM »
I've never understood why "High Water" gets slagged by the fan base so much; I think it is a terrific song.  I even think "Tai Shan" is quite enjoyable, albeit a bit out there for them.  For my money, "Second Nature" is easily HYF's weakest link.

And "Open Secrets" is one of the best Rush songs that almost no one ever talks about.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #381 on: November 24, 2010, 11:40:19 PM »
Yeah, Open Secrets really is a good song, but it can't beat Lock And Key for me.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #382 on: November 25, 2010, 05:34:34 AM »
Open Secrets is my fav for album cuts. I wish they played it live.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #383 on: November 28, 2010, 04:01:43 AM »
I just listened to Hold Your Fire in its entirety for the first time, and I'm astonished at how good the lyrics are. The lyrics to Tai Shan in particular are fantastic. Conjured up all sorts of images in my head, I felt like I was on top of the mountain with Neil. So awesome.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #384 on: November 28, 2010, 05:23:01 AM »
Rush is coming to a city that's 2 ½ hours of cardriving from me, and i really want to go, but i probably wont because i saw the prices, and i was like:  :sadpanda: