Author Topic: a massacre  (Read 2823 times)

Offline fsh3702

• 爱梦剧院、爱数理化、爱吉他、爱mount&blade
a massacre
« on: September 08, 2010, 06:41:48 AM »
F=ma
E=mc2=hν
▽E=-dB/dt
1h2/2m▽2ψ+Uψ=Eψ

Offline In The Name Of Rudess

Re: a massacre
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 07:01:26 AM »
That's a rather stupid reason for killing those dolphins.

However, I don't agree with the article. It says that dolphins shouldn't be killed because they're intelligent. Pigs are pretty intelligent as well. Yet we kill them on a much larger scale than dolphins. No-one seems to care much about that, because dolphins have an anatomy which happens to make it look like they're smiling and they're supposed to be all cuddly and stuff while pigs are dirty and ugly. I think more blood gets spilled in one butchery in a day than there is in the sea in that picture. And this event only takes place once a year.

/care

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 01:34:53 PM »
Yeah but we actually get use out of the pigs for stuff like bacon, porkchops and footballs. Is there a purpose to killing all those dolphins?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 01:51:04 PM »
Well, here's some interesting stuff:

https://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/w/whale-killing-denmark.htm

Partial quote:  
The shore-based hunters in the Faroe Islands of Denmark continue this practice and it is a community effort for storing whale meat and products for the winter. Pilot whale meat and blubber is considered by islanders to be an important part of their staple diet.  The whale meat is never sold, instead it is divided evenly to everyone who wants it.  What ever is left over is donated to the local hospital and senior citizens on the island.  There is very little of the whale that is actually wasted.  The islanders use the blubber for processing oil, the skin for ropes and lines, stomachs for floats, and the esophagus for shoes.  Pilot whales register high in mercury so pregnant mothers are warned against partaking in the meat.

As for a ceremony of rite of passage, other than the traditional confirmation or getting married we found no evidence of a required whale hunt for the young men on this island. The communal processing is open to anyone on the island who regardless of age or gender.

Pretty detailed writeup on wikipedia also that points out that (1) the hunts are heavily regulated and government-supervised, and that (2) the "whales" (dolphins, actually) are used for food and not just slaughtered for fun:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whaling_in_the_Faroe_Islands

EDIT:  And I just noticed, the wikipedia article refers to something called a "sith harpoon."   :metal
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nigerius Rex

• Thats Mr. Doctor Professor Patrick
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 03:26:57 PM »
If they use what they kill and it is tradition, what is the problem?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 03:30:14 PM »
If they use what they kill and it is tradition, what is the problem?

Dolphins are cute.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 03:45:23 PM »
Exactly.  Someone's trying to stir up some shit where there isn't really a problem.

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 08:28:24 PM »
When I saw the thread title I thought there was actually something bad happening.
www.bedeceived.com

ZOMG WHAT'S AT BEDECEIVED.COM?

I DUNNO!  CLICK THE DARNED LINK TO FIND OUT!

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 11:49:15 PM »
That blood-soaked beach would make an awesome set for a metal video.

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 12:47:26 AM »
That blood-soaked beach would make an awesome set for a metal video.
:lol
www.bedeceived.com

ZOMG WHAT'S AT BEDECEIVED.COM?

I DUNNO!  CLICK THE DARNED LINK TO FIND OUT!