Author Topic: Church inviting the burning of the Koran on 9-11-10 (now cancelled)  (Read 7261 times)

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
come on, give me a break.  just read about this on yahoo.  apparantly even the gov't and military are urging them away from it.  how in the world can people read the Christian Scriptures and miss the boat by so many miles?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 04:33:43 PM by yeshua4 »

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Church inviting the burning of the Koran on 9-11-10
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 07:05:05 PM »
Now I dunno if you've noticed but we've got a surplus of dumb mother fuckers in this country.

Offline yeshaberto

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 07:08:00 PM »
yeah, I'm not sure why I am surprised by stuff like this

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 07:18:38 PM »
Quote from: Terry Jones
"How much do we back down? How many times do we back down?" Jones told the AP. "Instead of us backing down, maybe it's to time to stand up. Maybe it's time to send a message to radical Islam that we will not tolerate their behavior."

*sigh*
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 07:21:39 PM »
Absolutely disgusting, but not terribly surprising unfortunately.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 07:25:23 PM »
"How much do we back down? How many times do we back down?" Jones told the AP. "Instead of us backing down, maybe it's to time to stand up. Maybe it's time to send a message to radical Islam that we will not tolerate their behavior."

*sigh*

Wow what a quote. It's also stupid considering the radicals haven't done anything in nine years and just now they wanna do some stupid demonstration.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 07:27:56 PM »
Seems like a good deal for Koran book sales.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 07:33:18 PM »
By the river of Babylon...

*cue explosions*

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 07:41:25 PM »
the ironic thing is he's the radical one.  :lol
www.bedeceived.com

ZOMG WHAT'S AT BEDECEIVED.COM?

I DUNNO!  CLICK THE DARNED LINK TO FIND OUT!

Offline ehra

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 07:52:39 PM »
 :sadpanda:

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 09:42:46 PM »
https://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-koran-burning-20100908,0,230085.story

See my being offended is nothing compared to my being freakishly worried about the backlash of this from our radical dummies.
I see the moderate Muslims -who are still more than 95 fuckin percent of Muslims- falling out to the extreme side as they feel more and more offended and depressed about their inability to stop things like that, I know no one here gets the impact or why the hell does these people get so pissed off but the closest I can explain is that to them insulting religion is like raping their women and mothers.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 11:40:27 PM »
https://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-koran-burning-20100908,0,230085.story

See my being offended is nothing compared to my being freakishly worried about the backlash of this from our radical dummies.
I see the moderate Muslims -who are still more than 95 fuckin percent of Muslims- falling out to the extreme side as they feel more and more offended and depressed about their inability to stop things like that, I know no one here gets the impact or why the hell does these people get so pissed off but the closest I can explain is that to them insulting religion is like raping their women and mothers.

Hell, I'd just rape the women.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 12:22:39 AM »
I'm sure this dude thinks he's being perfectly reasonable, and it would delight me to turn his ideas around on him,

"Well, it's been 100 years since the holocaust so let's gather up a bunch of bibles and burn them and show radical Christianity that we will not tolerate its behavior."

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Adami

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 12:24:37 AM »
As I said in the chat thread, it's probably just a bunch of (really good) publicity.

If he announces his church loves everybody, who cares? No one.

If he announces his church is burning qurans, who cares? Everybody.

Now, everyone knows who this guy is, and all about his church. Free publicity.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 04:27:26 AM »
This guy is an idiot, and his "followers" are even worse.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2010, 06:10:44 AM »

*sigh*

Wow what a quote. It's also stupid considering the radicals haven't done anything in nine years and just now they wanna do some stupid demonstration.

to be fair, there were plenty of bombings around the world. just because usa is not affected doesn't mean people are not suffering terrorism. burning kuran is obviously the dumbest way to protest since it will anger american citizens who are muslims into considering things they would otherwise find outlandish.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2010, 06:37:46 AM »
You're free to burn the Koran and don't want anybody stifling your "right" to do so, huh?  Then I damn sure better not hear you bitching about the proposed community center that they're perfectly within their rights to build.  The door swings both ways, Mr. Hypocrite.  Now how about a nice big cup of shut the f*ck up?

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2010, 07:35:35 AM »
You're free to burn the Koran and don't want anybody stifling your "right" to do so, huh?  Then I damn sure better not hear you bitching about the proposed community center that they're perfectly within their rights to build.  The door swings both ways, Mr. Hypocrite.  Now how about a nice big cup of shut the f*ck up?

We are not "bitching" because we think they don't have the right, of course they do.  

What everyone is pointing out is the total hyprocrisy in what the pastor is proposing to do and his rationale.  Book burning, though completely in their right, is pretty radical.  Not to mention that our current political situation with the Muslim world can do without this.

Its not about "rights" or "sensitivity", this is political and going forward with the act will hurt American endeavors with the Muslim world.  Its stupidly inflammatory.

Also, the community center has voiced many times that they are establishing the center with the ultimate goal of better relations and co-understanding between the muslim and christian worlds.  This pastor has ONLY negative interests.

While the center is trying to repair the bridge, the pastor is trying to destroy what remains of the bridge.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2010, 07:46:47 AM »
I wasn't addressing anybody who posted in this thread or the community center thread.  I was making a general remark, directed at the Koran burning guy.  I know it isn't SOLELY about the right to do so, it's misusing that right to hurt people on purpose.  Which I believe this guy to be doing.  I do not, however, believe that is the purpose of the community center.  I suppose I should have clarified.

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2010, 07:52:41 AM »
I wasn't addressing anybody who posted in this thread or the community center thread.  I was making a general remark, directed at the Koran burning guy.  I know it isn't SOLELY about the right to do so, it's misusing that right to hurt people on purpose.  Which I believe this guy to be doing.  I do not, however, believe that is the purpose of the community center.  I suppose I should have clarified.

Ok then, yea I agree on your first point.

As for the second I don't, but I won't delve into that here, we have an entire thread on that.

:)

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2010, 10:18:57 AM »
Question:

If Patreus himself states his troops lives will be in danger if this occurs, does the government have any methods of stopping this despite the church having the right to?

It would then be a matter of national security?

Edit: I want a reporter to go to the pastor and say "The top general in our nation strongly believes that American citizen lives will be placed in grave danger if you go ahead with this act.  Do you still feel comfortable going through with it"

Offline Adami

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2010, 10:19:55 AM »
Question:

If Patreus himself states his troops lives will be in danger if this occurs, does the government have any methods of stopping this despite the church having the right to?

Pissing off the enemy isn't a matter of national security.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2010, 10:21:47 AM »
Question:

Pissing off the enemy isn't a matter of national security.

but putting american soldiers life in grave danger by an american citizen... seems odd that it would be allowable (hovering on treason?)

Offline Adami

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2010, 10:28:16 AM »
In that case, america in general is hovering on treason. They're really pissed off about a LOT of things. This is just one more.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline yeshaberto

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2010, 10:29:50 AM »
and surely the guy has seen the headlines regarding the troops...

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2010, 10:33:14 AM »
I don't think you can call someone treasonous because of the way others react to what they're doing, even if it is something rather despicable.  If he isn't openly trying to provoke an enemy into attacking troops not associated with him then it is hard to blame him for other people blindly connecting troops(or government) as supporters of his.

Besides, if the media didn't report it most of us might never know it was going on and it would be a non-issue to the world.  If you start going down the route of calling acts like that treason you might have a big mess on your hands when it comes to the media.  They could be the very first stop on the government's list for control.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2010, 10:34:10 AM »
and surely the guy has seen the headlines regarding the troops...

He has, and he already has been asked about it. He says "he's torn, since he really wants to get the point across but also doesn't want to endanger soldiers". Not sure what point he's referring to other than that he has a mindset of a medieval Crusader.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2010, 10:34:36 AM »
In that case, america in general is hovering on treason. They're really pissed off about a LOT of things. This is just one more.

Yea, pissed off and vociferous, but Americans are not actually DOING anything outside rallies, meetings, protests, etc..all of which are normal acts of discontent.

But burning things? especially books seen holy by others? This is a very very dangerous direction....

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2010, 10:37:39 AM »
I don't think you can call someone treasonous because of the way others react to what they're doing, even if it is something rather despicable.  If he isn't openly trying to provoke an enemy into attacking troops not associated with him then it is hard to blame him for other people blindly connecting troops(or government) as supporters of his.

Besides, if the media didn't report it most of us might never know it was going on and it would be a non-issue to the world.  If you start going down the route of calling acts like that treason you might have a big mess on your hands when it comes to the media.  They could be the very first stop on the government's list for control.

yea, your right.  Unpatriotic would probably be more apt.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2010, 12:10:48 PM »
I think Patreus is just trying to help calm things down.  I don't buy that it'll affect the troops.  The radicals that they're fighting can't think any worse of us than they already do.  It's the moderates who'll get pissed off about this, and they're not the ones planting roadside bombs. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2010, 12:44:05 PM »
Yeah, but they're the ones supporting the terrorists. Essentially the only way of quelling terrorism is by removing the public's implicit (and explicit) support for it, and by inciting hatred in the population you can undo months of trust you've established.

rumborak

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2010, 03:09:16 PM »
Obvious troll is obvious.
www.bedeceived.com

ZOMG WHAT'S AT BEDECEIVED.COM?

I DUNNO!  CLICK THE DARNED LINK TO FIND OUT!

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2010, 07:11:43 PM »
Question:

I'm not sure I like that idea either. It's a dangerous precedent, don't you think?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2010, 08:38:49 AM »
I think the real fault lies with the media. Was this news-worthy to be heralded across the world? I mean, bottom line is that the media managed to elevate a hick schmuck with 50 followers into a national security issue.

rumborak

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2010, 08:45:33 AM »
Because this is a matter of national security, they should lock this dumb ass up. If his actions cause the death of one person-soldier, civilian, whatever- they should crucify this dumb bastard. In fact, I went on the hick fucks website, and told him as much.

Of course he'll be invited to the next "Tea Party" rally, and will turn his attention to "Mexicans" next. Maybe his church can burn a sombrero, or overcook some refried beans in protest.  :\
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."