Author Topic: Bands you are not personally into but still respect  (Read 5830 times)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: Bands you are not personally into but still respect
« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2015, 03:22:06 AM »
Arnold Schoenberg. He basically ripped music apart to where it could no longer be ripped. He broke ALL the rules. I hate how his music sounds, and it is EXTREMELY hard to digest (most of it, at least), but he basically pioneered what is called "atonal" music, a type of music that has no tonal center, and the only scale one can know is the 12-note chromatic scale, starting on any note. We're so used to tonality, it is virtually impossible to "get" his music. And honestly, I think it's dumb. But it's the end of music's evolution. It can't go any further once all the rules are broken.

Some examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrjg3jzP2uI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJSvA8oP7rw

and a great lecture about him and atonality:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olwVvbWd-tg

I'm not sure I agree that music it at its evolutionary end with Schoenberg. And while I do agree with you about not being particularly fond of Schoenberg, I think that's more of a Schoenberg thing than an atonal music thing, because there is atonal music out there that is extremely amazing.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2015, 05:30:43 AM »
You are in the minority good sir

Well that's what this thread is for................

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2015, 06:06:14 AM »
You are in the minority good sir

Well that's what this thread is for................

Except you still respect them not say this,

Rush. I listen to them and they're good, just not a band I would listen to regularly. Maybe it's because Geddy Lee's voice isn't much my cup of tea.

Please don't kill me, DTF.

:dunno: I think they flat out suck.

I'm not sure if you understand...............
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2015, 06:14:17 AM »
Tool. I love how other band use their signature sound, but can't get into them. Although it's hardcore fanbase is cancerous.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2015, 06:37:41 AM »
Honestly the hardcore fanbase for almost anything tends to be pretty obnoxious.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2015, 12:50:00 PM »
Yeah good point.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2015, 01:05:11 PM »
I like Tool, but I'm rarely in the mood for their music. On the other hand, I usually love Tool-influenced songs by other bands :P

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2015, 05:06:02 PM »
Arnold Schoenberg. He basically ripped music apart to where it could no longer be ripped. He broke ALL the rules. I hate how his music sounds, and it is EXTREMELY hard to digest (most of it, at least), but he basically pioneered what is called "atonal" music, a type of music that has no tonal center, and the only scale one can know is the 12-note chromatic scale, starting on any note. We're so used to tonality, it is virtually impossible to "get" his music. And honestly, I think it's dumb. But it's the end of music's evolution. It can't go any further once all the rules are broken.

Some examples:

I'm not sure I agree that music it at its evolutionary end with Schoenberg. And while I do agree with you about not being particularly fond of Schoenberg, I think that's more of a Schoenberg thing than an atonal music thing, because there is atonal music out there that is extremely amazing.
I agree. Frank Zappa is a great example o f atonality made accessible. As long as listeners can grasp onto the rhythm of it, atonal music doesn't have to be quite as difficult.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2015, 05:09:08 PM »
Frank Zappa.

Way too weird for me at times.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #79 on: January 29, 2015, 05:33:16 PM »
For me, it would be Elvis Presley. He's got some catchy tunes I'll enjoy, but otherwise I'm not crazy over him. He's a legend in his own right.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2015, 06:03:53 PM »
Bob Dylan I guess.  I definitely respect him, but...  just not that into him.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: January 30, 2015, 02:00:55 PM »

Some examples:

I agree. Frank Zappa is a great example o f atonality made accessible. As long as listeners can grasp onto the rhythm of it, atonal music doesn't have to be quite as difficult.
Ulver is another example.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: January 30, 2015, 06:22:41 PM »
Tool. I love how other band use their signature sound, but can't get into them. Although it's hardcore fanbase is cancerous.

I'd like to know what their hardcore fanbase thinks of them taking 9 years and counting to release an album they've apparently been working on the entire time.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #83 on: January 30, 2015, 06:32:28 PM »

I'd like to know what their hardcore fanbase thinks of them taking 9 years and counting to release an album they've apparently been working on the entire time.

It sucks.....a lot!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: January 30, 2015, 06:35:38 PM »
For me it's  :lol watching Metallica and Tool give the crappiest excuses for taking over 7 years to release an album.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #85 on: January 30, 2015, 06:51:53 PM »
Yeah, Metallica is my favorite band and I'm pissed with their decision-making lately. How many countless tours of Europe and Mexico (but not USA, their own country) can they possibly do, playing the same songs over and over? Somebody needs to lock them in a studio and not let them out until the new album is done.

End rant.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #86 on: January 30, 2015, 10:37:19 PM »

Some examples:

Ulver is another example.
Don't think I've heard Ulver, if it's in that same vein though I'm definitely interested!
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2015, 10:57:28 PM »
I wouldn't have ever considered Ulver atonal.

They are very experimental though, and definitely amazing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: January 31, 2015, 05:20:00 AM »

It sucks.....a lot!

I'm actually convinced that back in 2006 - One of TOOL went " Huh huh - 10,000 days...wouldn't it be funny if we actually took 10 years to release the next album ! "

And then another went " Yeah hehehe - we could constantly say that we're in the studio and have songs finished but then never have anything to show for it "

" Haha ! What if we say we had a court case because we were suing the people who tried to sue us from suing someone else - even though we hired them to stop ourselves getting sued in the first place !!!"

All Of Tool : TOOL HIGH FIVE !!

Maynard : I drink wine in 5/8

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #89 on: January 31, 2015, 08:15:02 AM »
Metallica are most likely at a point where they simply aren't as creative as far as producing new music as they used to be.  And the money is in touring, anyway, so fuck it, keep playing live, as long as people keep buying tickets.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: January 31, 2015, 02:31:51 PM »
I wouldn't have ever considered Ulver atonal.

They are very experimental though, and definitely amazing.
I was thinking of War of the Roses, and even Shadows of the Sun at times, but yeah, maybe they weren't the best example. They're still amazing though.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #91 on: February 05, 2015, 06:36:37 PM »
Dream Theatre.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #92 on: March 02, 2015, 12:43:22 PM »
The Doors

Not really all that into their music, but I'm just fascinated by Morrison with all the madness and antics.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #93 on: March 03, 2015, 12:15:56 PM »
Hendrix

Took me a while to get into Dylan, but now I like him