Author Topic: ICED EARTH top 30 - part II: The Wrath of Wolfking  (Read 10967 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: ICED EARTH top 30 - part II: The Wrath of Wolfking
« Reply #70 on: September 14, 2010, 04:43:57 PM »
TO THE YOUTUBE MOBILE! That's where I saw it.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #71 on: September 14, 2010, 08:23:44 PM »
Got the meet & greet details for the New York show yesterday, pretty pumped :metal

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #72 on: September 14, 2010, 08:27:21 PM »
Turns out I can't go to the Iced Earth show next week cause I can't miss class.

Oddly enough I don't care much. Last time I saw Barlow he looked like he didn't want to be there and the rest of the band just looked old/tired/creepy. And it's not like they're gonna play anything other than the hits I've already seen. Plus, what am I gonna say to them? Obviously I don't even know who half of them are, but Barlow and Jon?

"Hi guys....so....those brown people sure do suck..........heil america".

Dunno.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #73 on: September 14, 2010, 08:56:09 PM »
They're playing a couple of rarer songs this time around Adami.  Only a couple, but I'd still go.

SPOILERS:
Stygian! Jack! Colors! Last December!
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Adami

« Reply #74 on: September 14, 2010, 09:02:37 PM »
They're playing a couple of rarer songs this time around Adami.  Only a couple, but I'd still go.

SPOILERS:
Stygian! Jack! Colors! Last December!

Eh. I don't care about Stygian, Jack or Colors enough to skip class. Last December would be awesome, but it's a sacrifice.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #75 on: September 14, 2010, 11:27:38 PM »
Whatever man. I'm gonna have a blast chilling with the band :hat

Offline Adami

« Reply #76 on: September 14, 2010, 11:35:48 PM »
If I didn't have class I'd go. But I get into a lot of trouble for missing, and I was one of the first fans ever to hear barlow return.

And I say that because I was at his return show, AND while I was sitting outside waiting to get in, myself and the couple next to me were the only ones who could hear through a crack in the door the band practicing (with vocals) A Question of Heaven. Yea, I rule.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #77 on: September 14, 2010, 11:51:08 PM »
I'm gonna wear my Ripper hat just to fuck with them :P

Offline Adami

« Reply #78 on: September 15, 2010, 12:11:15 AM »

Bring a parking ticket for Barlow to sign. I just wanna know what he does.

Also show up wearing a blue union jacket.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline InstrumentalFiasco

« Reply #79 on: September 15, 2010, 12:51:33 AM »
I know I never post here, but I am going next week to in NYC! Been a fan since I was 14, I'm 24 now and I have never seen them. I heard on the last tour Barlow was sick so I'm expecting IE in full force this night.  :metal
Sig removed for being too tall.

Offline weirdharold2112

• Level-21 Henchman
« Reply #80 on: September 15, 2010, 07:58:02 AM »
MykeHavoc - great idea for a topic.  My work is too freakin' insane for me to go in-depth here like I would want, but Iced Earth is Top 5 for me all time (behind Rush, DT, Maiden & Genesis).  Good job.  Glancing through the posts it appears wolfking brought the goods too.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #81 on: September 15, 2010, 10:04:05 AM »

:lol

Anyone who is going to the NYC gig and wants meet up in advance and grab a beer or something should PM me.

I know I never post here, but I am going next week to in NYC! Been a fan since I was 14, I'm 24 now and I have never seen them. I heard on the last tour Barlow was sick so I'm expecting IE in full force this night.  :metal

Should be in for a treat my friend. Saw'em back in '08 and it was great. Peaked at the set-list, so we should get some good gems.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #82 on: September 15, 2010, 04:27:45 PM »

:lol

Anyone who is going to the NYC gig and wants meet up in advance and grab a beer or something should PM me.
I'd be down for that.

Except that I'm underage. :tdwn

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: September 16, 2010, 05:30:53 AM »
18. Vengeance is Mine

Solid piece of music, that riff alone makes this song a top 20 IE song for me.  The way it kicks into that riff is amazing.  The four beat/note anacrusis at 0:30 is GODLY!!  Great pace this one and Matt gives an excellent performance.  Great solos too, really makes the song even more enjoyable.  Nothing more to say, just kick ass IE!

17. Ten Thousand Strong

Hail Ripper!!!  That's what I thought when I heard that 13 second scream at the start, AMAZING intro.  Love the aggressive pace of this track and the tempo change into the chorus adds some variety.  I like the sing along anthem style chorus, it has an excellent melody.  Also, the simple middle instrumental section just fits the song nicely, it doesn't leave you thinking that it needs a blistering solo, it fills the song well.  Ripper gives us another scream add the end just for good measure, what a voice!

16. Hollow Man

Here's another one I'm sure no one expected.  I think this was the second song that was released along with The Reckoning from TGB, and for some reason I just loved it from the start.  It's generic, recycled Iced Earth, no doubt with average lyrics, but I love the atmosphere of it, I love the chorus, I love Ripper's performance, but what really makes this song special is that amazing middle 8 section.  I love what Ripper does on those lines.  Also Ralph does some really excellent soloing going on in the outro.  That first lick he does at 3:37 is amazing!!  I just also love the jam feel of this song, it's structured well but has a nice jam feel.  Great song.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #84 on: September 16, 2010, 10:47:44 AM »

They sounded pretty damn good in Washington DC on 9/10. I thought it was a great set, other than the soundman clearly having hearing difficulties because the bass was so loud that it drowned out the guitars (but it could not overpower Barlow's vocals).

Be prepared for a lot of soap box preaching during the Sons of Liberty set. It is clear that Schaffer does not understand the concept of "short and to the point" during his between song rambling (at least not at the show I saw which was the live debut of the music). Hopefully he is able to refine it to something more cohesive...

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #85 on: September 16, 2010, 11:22:41 AM »
My focus will be on swilling beer for that portion of the show :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: September 16, 2010, 04:57:18 PM »
Top 15 still to come.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #87 on: September 16, 2010, 06:24:39 PM »
One week from this moment, I will be seeing (hopefully) everyone who's going to the NY show. :metal

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #88 on: September 17, 2010, 08:45:00 AM »
My focus will be on swilling beer for that portion of the show :lol

If you like the music of Sons of Liberty, it is actually worth paying attention to from that perspective. He powered through seven of the nine songs from the SoL disc. I happen to really enjoy it, so seeing the songs live was well worth putting up with some of the long-winded rants...

Three of Iced Earth's musicians are backing Schaffer on SoL (drummer / guitarist / bass) and a touring guitarist also appears on stage with them (Schaffer only sings)...

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #89 on: September 17, 2010, 10:00:58 AM »
Musically it sounds like a second rate Iced Earth album. Lyrically, its an abomination. I don't like politics. I especially don't like right-wing propaganda. I will be respectful at the show, but I really don't care about what Schaffer wants to say on his soap box.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: September 17, 2010, 10:04:42 AM »
Musically it sounds like a second rate Iced Earth album. Lyrically, its an abomination. I don't like politics. I especially don't like right-wing propaganda. I will be respectful at the show, but I really don't care about what Schaffer wants to say on his soap box.

I purchased it.  I have listened to half the songs once, that's it.

Offline Adami

« Reply #91 on: September 17, 2010, 12:02:23 PM »
I seriously am having a hard time imagining Jon on stage without a guitar, just singing. I imagine him standing there, with a beer. Singing a bit, and then standing there akwardly drinking a beer when he's not singing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #92 on: September 17, 2010, 02:03:18 PM »
I think it'll be anti-climactical when Iced Earth takes the stage, since they're essentially the same band that was opening. It'll be like a break between sets.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #93 on: September 17, 2010, 02:43:01 PM »
Lucky for Barlow, who is probably in the back doing push ups the whole time during the opening set :lol

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #94 on: September 17, 2010, 02:59:42 PM »
:metalol:

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #95 on: September 17, 2010, 03:04:20 PM »
Just noticed this thread.

I liked how when I started going through your list, I was thinking all "Not bad, but where the hell are Horror Show songs!?" Then they started showing up more frequently towards the top of the list.  ;D :metal

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #96 on: September 17, 2010, 03:10:13 PM »
I think it'll be anti-climactical when Iced Earth takes the stage, since they're essentially the same band that was opening. It'll be like a break between sets.

Not really. It is a different kind of energy coming from the stage. Yeah, you are essentially looking at the same set of people, but whereas you can tell Schaffer is new to the lead vocalist thing, Barlow comes out and really commands the stage. Even though it was mostly the same players, it really felt like two different bands were on stage...

Offline Adami

« Reply #97 on: September 17, 2010, 03:12:42 PM »
I think when IE take the stage, Barlow should come in last on a fancy police motorcycle wearign a very tight uniform. There should be a disco ball above him and he should start dancing.....

.....hmmm....I think I'll stop there.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #98 on: September 17, 2010, 03:14:54 PM »
Just noticed this thread.

I liked how when I started going through your list, I was thinking all "Not bad, but where the hell are Horror Show songs!?" Then they started showing up more frequently towards the top of the list.  ;D :metal

Yes sir. My first IE record and my favorite featuring Matt. A very near and dear to my heart record (I am a horror junkie).

I think when IE take the stage, Barlow should come in last on a fancy police motorcycle wearign a very tight uniform. There should be a disco ball above him and he should start dancing.....

.....hmmm....I think I'll stop there.

wtf? :lol

He was looking a bit Halford-esque the last tour :P

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #99 on: September 17, 2010, 04:13:15 PM »
What the hell was with those chaps ugh. By the way, there is an Official Iced Earth Thread.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: September 17, 2010, 07:56:15 PM »
Here's a couple more if anyone's interested.

15. A Charge to Keep

A definite highlight on this album.  I love the simple yet very effective chug of the main riff, it serves a wonderful purpose.  Ripper sounds great on the verses, and you have to admire his impressive vocal layering in the choirs in the chorus, he gives i such a strong epic feel.  Amazing chorus too, very typical IE, I love how Ripper screams "This is out charge to keeeeppp!!" before the second chorus.  A simple solo section fits the song well too.  A newer IE song that is definitely a classic.

14. Burning Times

No much to say about this one, an IE classic and excellent album opener.  Great groove, great pace and excellent guitar harmonies and riffs, not to mention Barlow's excellent work, especially in the higher register.  I love the chorus on this, so damn groovy "You are a SIIINNNEERRR."  This is followed by one of Larry's best solos he did with IE.  Great song.

13. Damien

Man, this is a great song.  The epic bass and choir intro really let's us know that we are in for something special.  This song has unbelievable melodies!!  Loving the standard style verse, but it's the chorus that makes this song, it is so damn epic!!  Love the lead guitar line going on in it and Richard again does some impressive work.  Barlow portrays a great feel and atmosphere on the chorus too.  What I like too is that it's a 9 minute song, but it just flies by.  Great epic song.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #101 on: September 17, 2010, 09:27:49 PM »
Good stuff. Exactly how I feel about Damien. It is the longest short song ever :P

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: September 23, 2010, 05:11:12 AM »
12. Watching Over Me

Great song this one, quite emotional since it's about Jon's best friend that passed away.  Very nice appregiated chords in the verses gives this a light peaceful effect with a great standard heavier catchy as hell chorus.  A killer guitar solo in here too, which takes the song to another level.  This is IMO one of IE's best guitar solos, brilliantly performed. Great song.

11. Framing Armageddon

Holy shit this is a great song!!  A perfect climax to the album.  Straight away from the start, you know we are in for a treat.  Ripper's climbing vocals in the chorus are simply sensational.  The song really gets interesting about 2 and a half minutes through.  Great use of the choirs again which really make you sense that something is coming to a head.  The riff that follows is so simple and generic but so fucking amazing!!!  The framing armaggedon section from Ripper is one of his finest moments, it's perfect.  What blows me away is that each line he adds a harmony on the top, repeating 4 times to finish on a perfect cadence.  AMAZING!!

10. The Coming Curse

The best part of the trilogy IMO.  That galloping riff is simply perfect and I never get tired of it.  The way the piano is so haunting and dramatic then bam, you get this perfect riff, simply makes me smile.  Great vocal lines, chorus and solo too.  The section where the riff modulates also is spectacular.  I love the choir at the end, this is one of the most haunting ways to finish an album, the way the music fades underneath them is really unsettling.  The 'pull me under' type finish is very effective.  I'd probably prefer the Ripper version but it really gets hurt from the lack of the choir and intro piano.