Author Topic: Shadow Gallery - 2010-09-05  (Read 2645 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Shadow Gallery - 2010-09-05
« on: September 06, 2010, 03:06:17 PM »
   It’s rare that a band can be around for nearly twenty years, put out six studio albums, and never play a note of their music live. Shadow Gallery however, is proof that it can happen. The band put their debut album in 1992 and only recently began announcing live shows, which would include a stop at ProgPower Europe prior to journeying across that continent for the first time. However before that could happen there was something special in the works, a debut show on the band’s home turf to play for friends, family, and Shadow Gallery fans from across the US and Canada.
   When Shadow Gallery hit the stage shortly after 9 it seemed the only people happier than the fans in attendance were the band themselves. Their excitement was contagious and as they powered through a trio of tracks from Tyranny to start the show, each song ending with thunderous applause. Although Carl Cadden-James could be seen having some monitor trouble it didn’t show in his playing as the band was incredibly tight during their first few songs together, and they would remain that way throughout the rest of the evening. One certainly got the feeling the crowd would have been happy no matter what the band had played for this historic show, but that said it seemed the band did a fantastic job picking out a set that would satisfy fans and represent the entire history of the band. After the mini Tyranny set the band went back in time for “Deeper Than Life” the guys brought things to the present day and nailed “Pain” from the groups most recent output, Digital Ghosts.
   It was at that point I realized how well new singer Brian Ashland was doing as he had seemed as natural with the earlier material as he did now singing “Pain”. By the time “Destination Unknown” rolled around one could really start to appreciate the powerhouse potential that Shadow Gallery has. Along with regular guitarists Gary Wehrkamp and Brendt Allman, singer Brian Ashland and new touring member Eric Deigert had proven their chops with six strings. In addition to the five men on stage that were guitar capable, three of them also showed great proficiency behind a keyboard, and everyone except Eric and Joe Nevolo handled vocal duties. Speaking of which, Shadow Gallery has always been known for a very vibrant vocal approach, and with some songs having more layers than a pack of trident gum it was no secret that reproducing the vocals live might be a bit difficult, but the band was up to the task. Gary, Carl and Brendt all did a fantastic job working with Brian to reproduce the lush melodies that Shadow Gallery fans know and love.
   At some point during the show to this point Brian had promised the crowd they’d get something from every album and “Questions at Hand” would end up representing the self-titled debut album for the evening. I think it’s safe to say that Joe out-played the drum machine used on the album and the crowd seemed quite pleased with the deep cut. After that came the softest song of the evening, “Ghost of a Chance” which came across with the same beauty live as it does on the album. After that, to the surprise of many Gary left his position at stage right to get behind the drum kit where the band played a bit of “Digital Ghosts” and the first half or so of “Strong” before the kit was handed back over to Joe who played what was potentially the greatest drum solo I’ve ever seen. And that statement is coming from a die-hard Rush fan. Nothing was safe from Joe as he played at his kit, around his kit, on mic stands, and at a snare and electronic bass pedal setup at the front of the stage. The man showed a technical prowess in several techniques and the long solo alone was worth the price of admission. I will say that Joe’s abilities have gone under the radar a bit, but after the upcoming tour I expect to hear rave reviews about his abilities.
   After finishing up “Strong” Gary teased the crowd with a keyboard version of the intro to “Andromeda Strain” before Brendt took charge on his guitar and properly ripped into the song which proved to be one of the most energetic performances of an action packed night. The set would end with perfectly executed versions of “Crystalline Dreams” and “Haunted” at which point the band waved goodbye and exited the stage. A big surprise to me was how unified the crowd was at this point in what they wanted to an encore with a good chunk of the crowd shouting for “Room V” while other songs received hardly any mention. And as luck would happy the band came out and tore into “Room V” which ended up being the most intense and well received song of the evening, and the chorus with the loudest and most involved sing-along as one might expect. To end an amazing night the band played the single/video from the latest album, “Gold Dust” which ended the night on a very headbanging note.
   All things considered the very first Shadow Gallery show was a smashing success. The band had some technical troubles throughout the night but they worked through them and put on a killer show that seemed to leave everyone in attendance happy. Fans from Miami, Virginia, Montreal, and Toronto were in attendance and that is only the traveling fans I talked to, so who knows where else people made trips from. After the show the guys showed a lot of class taking the time to talk to every single person at length who wanted to talk to them giving everyone a little extra happy memory of the historic show. The band seems to have warmed up their many instruments and their voices and they now have marching orders to head over to Europe for the first time where you absolutely must support them if you have the chance, I promise you won’t be disappointed!
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
Re: Shadow Gallery - 2010-09-05
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 08:16:49 PM »
Also, fun fact, I graduated with Eric Diegert, the touring member.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 08:23:04 PM »
thanks, Nick.  that would've been a great show to be a part of it. 

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 08:24:29 PM »
Yeah, it was something special for sure. Pictures are starting to roll in but no videos yet minus a few VERY short clips, and no audio to my knowledge. I really hope someone captured this.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 09:10:44 PM »
Thanks for the review, Nick!  Sounds like an awesome and very special show.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 09:23:03 AM »
I'll just add that Nick was spot on.  The only way the night could have been better is the bar still had their "Cliffhanger" beer which was appropriately named.  I had to settle for drinking a Crystalline Dream mixed drink.

It was well worth the trip, and if I would have heard a bootleg and missed the show, I would have kicked my own ass several times for passing it up.  I'll have pics up tonight.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 08:11:29 PM »
Oh...Nick I think I forgot to tell you this.  When I was talking to Gary I told him that I really enjoyed Amaran's Plight and asked him if he would work with D.C. Cooper again.  Gary said he just talked to him and told me if their schedules synced up they were going to work on something.  PLEASE LET THIS HAPPEN!!!!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 08:18:18 PM »
Yeah, I love DC Cooper so obviously I'm all for this.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 11:25:13 PM »
Very cool. Not a huge fan, but Fifth Angel did the same thing (playing for the first time live ever after 20 something years as a band) this past spring. So as a huge fan, I can appreciate the passion Nick shows in his review.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline perfey

• Stiletto in the sand
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 05:00:35 AM »
Great review, here's a video I found on their Youtube page: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLP32YKMwK4, the first three songs. Really cool to see one of my absolute favourite bands next to Dream Theater play live! for the first time in their long career. You can really see on them how much they enjoy doing it, really happy and into it. Ye, Brian Ashland makes a great job replacing Mike, + he has such a great voice too, reminds me of Geoff Tate's but that's only good to me. Here's SG:s youtube page: https://www.youtube.com/user/shadowgallerymusic, I saw the In memory of Mike Baker video on their channel too, it's a good tribute to him. I saw the official video to Gold Dust too, cool that they've did that.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 09:47:08 AM by perfey »

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 04:41:03 PM »
I will never, ever forgive myself for missing this show....

Nick, I concede any claim to being a bigger SG fan than you. I'm glad that you got to experience this.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 08:29:14 PM »

Nick, I concede any claim to being a bigger SG fan than you and DTVT. I'm glad that you got to experience this.

FTFY.

Third place behind me and Nick.  We're arguing for top spot.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2010, 10:09:21 PM »

Nick, I concede any claim to being a bigger SG fan than you and DTVT. I'm glad that you got to experience this.

FTFY.

Third place behind me and Nick.  We're arguing for top spot.

Nick wins.

Pretty sure I'm still in second unless you have some argument than holds more weight than altering quotes.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2010, 09:25:03 PM »
Been a fan since 1998 (probably longer than you, and seven years longer than Nick), I drove 8 hours and missed a day of work to see their only show to date in the US, probably have more SG swag, including the very limited edition SG pint glass.

I think your non-attendance DQ's you...especially since you live about 280 miles closer than me.

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2010, 10:52:37 PM »
Been a fan since 1998 (probably longer than you, and seven years longer than Nick), I drove 8 hours and missed a day of work to see their only show to date in the US, probably have more SG swag, including the very limited edition SG pint glass.

I think your non-attendance DQ's you...especially since you live about 280 miles closer than me.

Wow.  DoC, you just got shut down.   :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2010, 12:18:58 AM »
I was wondering if you were in the crowd that night DoC, what kept you from attending?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2010, 04:21:50 PM »

Wow.  DoC, you just got shut down.   :lol

I don't know about that. Maybe DOC has a LIFE! Not a shot at DTVT..I'm just sayin'.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2010, 05:39:27 PM »
I have an awesome life...one that gives me the flexibility to travel far to concerts  :biggrin:

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2010, 06:40:12 PM »
I'm not going to make excuses for missing the show, that's not what I've ever been about.

I've been a fan since 2003. So you definitely have me beat in that department.

I have all of the albums, two t-shirts and a poster. So you have me beat in that department.

I did, however, attend the Room V listening party, where I was able to meet the members of the band, including the late great Mr. Baker. I even showed up an hour early, and ended up setting up chairs with Gary.

I don't make it a point to collect rare stuff for any band, just the CD's, DVDs (if available) and maybe shirts. I also know that when you discovered SG in 1998, I was in no position to discover them (I turned 15, had no internet and no real way to discover them)

Like I said, no excuses. I'm glad that SG has diehards like yourself and Nick. Lord knows, they deserve it.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2010, 06:47:42 PM »
I don't want an excuse, I just want to know why you weren't there! :lol

But while we're speaking fandom, you've both got me beat as far as how long, as I've only been a fan since the release of Room V. I do however have every regular release of the albums, a promo copy of Tyranny, the two disc version of Room V, and the European version of Digital Ghosts. In addition I have 3 shirts, 4 posters, a button, and that pint glass.

While they played near me I would have driven 8 hours on a Sunday to see their first show, no question.

I also went to high school with their extra touring member. :D

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2010, 09:55:51 PM »
I don't want an excuse, I just want to know why you weren't there! :lol

Yeah, it would have been awesome to meet you

I'm glad that SG has diehards like yourself and Nick. Lord knows, they deserve it.

Agreed, and truce  :)  All that matters is that we all have great taste in music.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2010, 12:16:24 PM »
I have an awesome life...one that gives me the flexibility to travel far to concerts  :biggrin:
Absolutely!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2010, 12:06:18 PM »
awesome!
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"