Author Topic: Woman asleep in her car arrested for DUI  (Read 2104 times)

Offline William Wallace

Woman asleep in her car arrested for DUI
« on: September 05, 2010, 11:14:49 PM »
https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/3125383/Officer-filmed-pushing-woman.html
Not sure about the quality of the story, but the Scottish Sun reports that a woman was arrested after being found asleep in her car and refusing a Breathalyzer; she was also assaulted, but that's secondary to my main point.

Should you be allowed to sleep off the drinks you had in your car? Should you be allowed to refuse a Breathalyzer without being arrested?  

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Woman asleep in her car arrested for DUI
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 11:18:50 PM »
If she wasn't driving, she shouldn't have been arrested. However, if there were signs that she had been drinking, and she had a car, she should have to take a breathalyzer test.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 11:21:52 PM »
Tricky question. Personally I think If you (alone) are in a car, then you should be willing to be Breathalyzed. Nobody externally can tell if you are drunk or not, or if you will just drive away while still drunk. Even if you are just sleeping it off on the side of the road, you still have the ability to operate the vehicle easily. If you are drunk, don't get in your car, take a taxi, go with a friend or walk.
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 11:38:11 PM »
SOP for those of us who are known to occasionally imbibe:  PUT THE KEYS IN THE TRUNK!!!  Everybody down here knows that.  I believe the issue here is intent.  They'll say that you were planning on driving off and fortunately passed out before you could kill a family of 9.  Honestly, I'm sure there are some cops who'll cut you some slack in that situation, but considering what a monumental racket DUI arrests are, I wouldn't count on much discretion.  Too much money to be had.  

She's just lucky that the cop was stupid enough to do it whilst on camera.  Down here, everybody resists arrest on the elevator ride up, where nobody can see.  

Edit:  Portrucci did hit on an interesting point.  Johnny couldn't let her drive off if he suspected her to be intoxicated.  Presumably she was in a place where she couldn't continue to sleep it off either.  This puts him in a strange situation that made that aforementioned discretion quite a challenge.  Cutting her some slack would have been a real PITA for him since he has to do something to resolve the situation.  Popping her for the DUI gets him a gold star, the state gets their 10 grand, and he doesn't have to figure out a way to get her home.  To be clear, I think citing people for DUI when they were actually trying to avoid it is bullshit.  I just understand why he wouldn't feel to compelled to search for an alternative. 
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 11:45:34 PM by El Barto »
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 05:45:07 AM »
Yeah, I don't see what choice he had, really.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 12:17:43 PM »
Why didn't she just pass out in the back seats with the keys in the glove.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 03:31:59 PM »
I seem to recall an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond that almost perfectly mirrors this situation. :lol
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.