Author Topic: Your Top 5 Songs of All Time  (Read 14808 times)

Online HOF

Re: Your Top 5 Songs of All Time
« Reply #210 on: January 05, 2021, 09:28:37 AM »
I just can't really understand the usefulness. Seems like a lot of work to play the odd album that isn't on Spotify. Plus, I have to leave my computer on when I go out.

Does Plex cost money?

For me, who is perhaps more unreasonably particular, I get to access all my mods and edits.  I will go in and edit my live albums to take out fades, for example.   I will sometimes reorder greatest hits into chronological order.  I will consolidate b-sides and non-album tracks into an "Anthology" album.   I'm almost chubbed up over the idea that I can plug my phone into my car cradle, and access every song I have on CD (that is now ripped to my network hard drive) and organized in my fashion, at will.   I might even opt for setting up a dedicated computer (that is on at all times) if need be.

I’m interested because the music on my laptop is curated to include only the stuff I liked enough to buy/rip to my computer. My Amazon Music profile is a mess because I add all kinds of stuff on a whim that I might never really want to revisit (and the interface on that platform sucks anyway), and I don’t have any interest in sifting through Spotify to add the music I like (I have an account but never use it). I like to be able to hit shuffle on the collection on my laptop and know that anything that comes up will be something I like.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #211 on: January 05, 2021, 09:47:21 AM »
Glad to see some love for the Damn Yankees! One of my favorite bands back when I was in junior high/high school.

I was so ready for a 3rd album by them at some point, but it sadly never came.  We did get the Shaw/Blades album in '95 and the Tommy Shaw solo album, 7 Deadly Zens, in the later 90's, though, and those felt like loose extensions of the Damn Yankees sound to a certain extent, so they were basically the next best thing, for me anyway.

This is news to me. I'm a big fan of Damn Yankees (I have both records and even a single from a soundtrack), and I have both the Blades/Shaw records (Hallucination and Influence).  I'm a sucker for those harmonies.

I hear that.  Some of those Shaw/Blades songs give me a strong Simon & Garfunkel vibe.

Just looking back at the replies to this thread and here I thought I was like one of five people that really enjoyed the Damn Yankees albums when they came out. Even got Hallucination when it came out. That combo of Shaw-Blades is something else.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #212 on: January 05, 2021, 09:53:08 AM »
Plex?

Plex is an application you can install on your computer that will allow you to stream media like music or movies to other devices.

https://www.plex.tv/

Hmmm. So if I download this on my laptop that has all my music, I can stream it on my phone somehow (guessing via an app on my phone)?

Yes, that's what I do.

So looking at this a little further, it looks like you do stream them from your own device (it basically makes your computer the server) as opposed to from a cloud based device. So I gather you have to have your computer turned on and connected to the internet in order to stream on another device?

That's right, it's easy to setup. Also for the ability to stream from your personal device (like a laptop) to a phone is you'll have to pay for the app. I suggest just getting the lifetime membership deal and be done with it, plex really is great.

Additionally a lot of tv's have a plex app as well, for example my LG tv has a plex app so I can download it and listen to my music through my home theater set up.

I really miss google play music. ic ould stream my music whenever I wanted without having to leave a computer on, and without having to pay to stream music I own.

Online HOF

« Reply #213 on: January 05, 2021, 10:12:37 AM »
Glad to see some love for the Damn Yankees! One of my favorite bands back when I was in junior high/high school.

I was so ready for a 3rd album by them at some point, but it sadly never came.  We did get the Shaw/Blades album in '95 and the Tommy Shaw solo album, 7 Deadly Zens, in the later 90's, though, and those felt like loose extensions of the Damn Yankees sound to a certain extent, so they were basically the next best thing, for me anyway.

This is news to me. I'm a big fan of Damn Yankees (I have both records and even a single from a soundtrack), and I have both the Blades/Shaw records (Hallucination and Influence).  I'm a sucker for those harmonies.

I hear that.  Some of those Shaw/Blades songs give me a strong Simon & Garfunkel vibe.

Just looking back at the replies to this thread and here I thought I was like one of five people that really enjoyed the Damn Yankees albums when they came out. Even got Hallucination when it came out. That combo of Shaw-Blades is something else.

I have always really liked the second album (one of the first CDs I owned even). Never got around to picking up the first one, although I really liked the hits from that one as well.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #214 on: January 05, 2021, 05:24:55 PM »
How much does this Plex cost?
Their Premium access, which is called Plex Pass, will allow you to access all of their features (which you will need if you are going to listen to music through one of their apps). It costs either $5 a month, or you can do $40 per year, or just to the lifetime pass for $140 and never pay again.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline dparrott

« Reply #215 on: January 06, 2021, 01:00:16 AM »
I downloaded the official Plex app to my phone, paid a $5 activation fee and it's done.  I just need music from my PC, not the other features.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #216 on: January 06, 2021, 10:07:33 PM »
I downloaded the official Plex app to my phone, paid a $5 activation fee and it's done.  I just need music from my PC, not the other features.
Oh yeah, that works too. Forgot that was an option.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #217 on: January 08, 2021, 09:56:11 AM »
Ok so back to the main topic uuhhh let me try this. I'll try to limit this to one song per band, and in no particular order

Burial Loner
The ultimate Burial track, it's dark, brooding, intense, with an addictive synth line, and a haunting atmosphere.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor The Dead Flag Blues
What got me into ambient music, and still blows me away each time. Deeply emotional and abstract journey through the world's end.

Liquid Tension Experiment Paradigm Shift
What got me into prog music, excellent musicianship and chemistry. One great idea after another.

Nils Frahm Toilet Brushes - More (Live in London)
I can't ever get enough from this magnificent, truly intense performance. It's just on another level :hefdaddy

Anathema The Storm Before the Calm
My favorite Anathema song, chaos and beauty paired together. I'm so glad I got to experience this live. Wished they got back together :'(

Honorable mentions
Koji Kondo Dire Dire Docks
Ludwig van Beethoven Moonlight Sonata
Pink Floyd High Hopes
David Bowie Lazarus
Nine Inch Nails The Wretched
Portisheads Roads
Massive Attack Risingson
Ulver EOS

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #218 on: January 09, 2021, 07:15:33 AM »
So basically, Plex is like having personal Spotify service for ones own musical library?

One other thing you can consider if you don't want to go the Plex route is you can have your personal music on Spotify and incorporate it into your Spotify playlist.

1. Create a local playlist on your pc, add your local music to list
2. Make sure your cell phone is on the same network as your pc
3. Sync the local playlist on your phone while your PC is on, your phone will download all the music from your pc
4. You can now play that playlist from your phone whenever without stream, you can even move those songs to other playlists

This isn't as clean of a solution but it's a great way to listen to music on Spotify for artists that may not their entire discog on Spotify.

The downside is that depending on how music you have you can eat up a ton of storage space on your phone.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #219 on: January 09, 2021, 10:46:05 AM »
That all sounds really complicated. I have a cheapy smartphone with all my music in it, that I take and can listen to wherever and whenever I choose.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'