Author Topic: Your Top 5 Songs of All Time  (Read 14792 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Your Top 5 Songs of All Time
« Reply #175 on: January 03, 2021, 08:23:42 AM »
Plex?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #176 on: January 03, 2021, 08:33:24 AM »
Plex?

Plex is an application you can install on your computer that will allow you to stream media like music or movies to other devices.

https://www.plex.tv/

Online HOF

« Reply #177 on: January 03, 2021, 02:35:23 PM »
Plex?

Plex is an application you can install on your computer that will allow you to stream media like music or movies to other devices.

Hmmm. So if I download this on my laptop that has all my music, I can stream it on my phone somehow (guessing via an app on my phone)?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #178 on: January 03, 2021, 03:13:04 PM »
Plex?

Hmmm. So if I download this on my laptop that has all my music, I can stream it on my phone somehow (guessing via an app on my phone)?

I'm hoping so, because I've been ripping all my CDs and DVDs to hard drive, and I'm hoping Plex will let me listen to that in my car. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #179 on: January 03, 2021, 03:18:44 PM »
But would that mean you have to have your laptop turned on with your hard drive attached while in your car?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: January 03, 2021, 03:23:55 PM »
I keep seeing this thread title and dismiss it.  There's no way I could pinpoint 5 songs I don't think.  Even coming up with a top 50 of songs would be too hard.  Albums is hard enough but songs, jeez, I dunno.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #181 on: January 03, 2021, 03:39:30 PM »
Again, you are being transported to a dessert isle and you can only listen to 5 songs for the rest of your life. Your plane leaves in an hour. What are they??

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #182 on: January 03, 2021, 03:50:47 PM »
Surely this one has got to be on your list: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI6CfKcMhjY
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #183 on: January 03, 2021, 03:54:03 PM »
Again, you are being transported to a dessert isle and you can only listen to 5 songs for the rest of your life. Your plane leaves in an hour. What are they??

Cheesecake
Pecan pie
Chocolate chip ice cream
Chocolate mousse
Warm apple pie

(Sorry, I couldn't resist that; it was a lay-up.)

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #184 on: January 03, 2021, 03:55:58 PM »

Cheesecake
Pecan pie
Chocolate chip ice cream
Chocolate mousse
Warm apple pie

(Sorry, I couldn't resist that; it was a lay-up.)
Cheesecake and Ice Cream sure, but what about Tiramisu? Strawberry Shortcake? Pumpkin Pie?
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #185 on: January 03, 2021, 03:59:40 PM »
Yeah, and I know better than that!

Also, you know how I know I'm a Fogey? Because for some reason, I like a nice slice of hot apple pie with vanilla ice cream as much as I like chocolate cake.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #186 on: January 03, 2021, 04:01:48 PM »
Apple pie is the best them though, can't fault you for that at all!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #187 on: January 03, 2021, 04:14:48 PM »

Also, you know how I know I'm a Fogey? Because for some reason, I like a nice slice of hot apple pie with vanilla ice cream as much as I like chocolate cake.
I love Apple Pie, but with a caveat. It has to be homemade with fresh apples. None of that store bought frozen junk. :tdwn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: January 03, 2021, 04:24:50 PM »

I guess that analogy helps.  I'll have a think.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: January 03, 2021, 04:54:27 PM »

I love Apple Pie, but with a caveat. It has to be homemade with fresh apples. None of that store bought frozen junk. :tdwn

I actually went to a "You pick 'em" farm a couple years ago and picked a bucket of I think they were "jonagold" and made what was a cross between a pie and a crumble and man was it delicious.   I'd like to try that again, but the picking here has been slim the last couple years.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #190 on: January 03, 2021, 04:58:16 PM »

Definitely agree on this.
Squ

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #191 on: January 03, 2021, 05:00:54 PM »

I actually went to a "You pick 'em" farm a couple years ago and picked a bucket of I think they were "jonagold" and made what was a cross between a pie and a crumble and man was it delicious.   I'd like to try that again, but the picking here has been slim the last couple years.

So um....slim pickings? :neverusethis:

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: January 03, 2021, 05:21:04 PM »
What does liking apple pie with vanilla ice cream have to do with fogey-ism?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #193 on: January 03, 2021, 05:26:31 PM »
What does liking apple pie with vanilla ice cream have to do with fogey-ism?

To me, it's crossing the cake to pie threshold.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: January 03, 2021, 05:29:52 PM »
I literally have no idea what you are talking about. What threshold? Is liking pie associated with being old?

Taker almost lost it there!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline dparrott

« Reply #195 on: January 04, 2021, 12:41:53 AM »
Plex?

Yes, that's what I do. 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #196 on: January 04, 2021, 10:43:47 AM »
Here's the Spotify playlist, but it's missing 11 songs. All the Transatlantic, Neal Morse, and Spock's Beard stuff isn't on Spotify. As well as Kevin Gilbert and Michael Kiske.
Not to be a pain in the butt, but if there is any way to remove the live versions of John Hiatt's "Lipstick Sunset" and Jeff Buckley's "Hallelujah" and replace them with the studio versions, that would make this perfect.  If it's too much trouble, don't bother.  :tup
Sure! I mostly did the live versions for my benefit, but since I don't listen to the playlist on Spotify, I have no problem with changing them.
Thanks, pal!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #197 on: January 04, 2021, 10:54:08 AM »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online HOF

« Reply #198 on: January 04, 2021, 11:09:33 AM »
Plex?

Yes, that's what I do.

So looking at this a little further, it looks like you do stream them from your own device (it basically makes your computer the server) as opposed to from a cloud based device. So I gather you have to have your computer turned on and connected to the internet in order to stream on another device?

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: January 04, 2021, 11:14:41 AM »
Plex?

Yes, that's what I do.

So looking at this a little further, it looks like you do stream them from your own device (it basically makes your computer the server) as opposed to from a cloud based device. So I gather you have to have your computer turned on and connected to the internet in order to stream on another device?

That's right, it's easy to setup. Also for the ability to stream from your personal device (like a laptop) to a phone is you'll have to pay for the app. I suggest just getting the lifetime membership deal and be done with it, plex really is great.

Additionally a lot of tv's have a plex app as well, for example my LG tv has a plex app so I can download it and listen to my music through my home theater set up.

Online HOF

« Reply #200 on: January 04, 2021, 12:17:59 PM »
Plex?

Yes, that's what I do.

That's right, it's easy to setup. Also for the ability to stream from your personal device (like a laptop) to a phone is you'll have to pay for the app. I suggest just getting the lifetime membership deal and be done with it, plex really is great.

Additionally a lot of tv's have a plex app as well, for example my LG tv has a plex app so I can download it and listen to my music through my home theater set up.

I’ll have to think some more about this, as I’d love to be able to access the music collection on my laptop when I’m out and about from my phone. Does it take up significant memory/processing power on the host/server device while in use (or any when not streaming)? How is the sound quality on the streaming device?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #201 on: January 04, 2021, 03:21:27 PM »
But would that mean you have to have your laptop turned on with your hard drive attached while streaming it off another device when you're not at home??

?

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #202 on: January 04, 2021, 08:46:03 PM »
But would that mean you have to have your laptop turned on with your hard drive attached while streaming it off another device when you're not at home??

?
Oh, no one answered you.

Yes. You would have to have whatever device that is running the Plex Server on (whether that's a laptop with an external hard drive (not recommended), or a NAS drive (preferred method), or just a desktop computer) to be able to access the music remotely. On the remote device (cell phone, tablet, laptop, computer, TV, etc.) you will need either the Plex App or the Plexamp app (highly recommended). Once you have the server all set up and the devices set up with the app of your choice, it all just works.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: January 05, 2021, 06:49:00 AM »
Plex?

Yes, that's what I do.

I’ll have to think some more about this, as I’d love to be able to access the music collection on my laptop when I’m out and about from my phone. Does it take up significant memory/processing power on the host/server device while in use (or any when not streaming)? How is the sound quality on the streaming device?

No it doesn't take much processing power at all and you can control the sound quality coming through the stream if you're worried about bandwidth, or you can have it stream in the original quality stored on your laptop.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #204 on: January 05, 2021, 08:28:54 AM »
So basically, Plex is like having personal Spotify service for ones own musical library?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #205 on: January 05, 2021, 08:33:52 AM »
I just can't really understand the usefulness. Seems like a lot of work to play the odd album that isn't on Spotify. Plus, I have to leave my computer on when I go out.

Does Plex cost money?

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #206 on: January 05, 2021, 08:40:53 AM »
So basically, Plex is like having personal Spotify service for ones own musical library?
Pretty much. And you can store your music in much higher quality and stream it in much higher quality that what Spotify provides. So if you want CD quality instead of MP3 quality you can do that with Plex. Plex also integrates with Tidal's Hi-Fi streaming service.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #207 on: January 05, 2021, 09:03:06 AM »
Pretty much. And you can store your music in much higher quality and stream it in much higher quality that what Spotify provides. So if you want CD quality instead of MP3 quality you can do that with Plex. Plex also integrates with Tidal's Hi-Fi streaming service.

Oh shit. What's Tidal?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: January 05, 2021, 09:18:13 AM »
I just can't really understand the usefulness. Seems like a lot of work to play the odd album that isn't on Spotify. Plus, I have to leave my computer on when I go out.

Does Plex cost money?

For me, who is perhaps more unreasonably particular, I get to access all my mods and edits.  I will go in and edit my live albums to take out fades, for example.   I will sometimes reorder greatest hits into chronological order.  I will consolidate b-sides and non-album tracks into an "Anthology" album.   I'm almost chubbed up over the idea that I can plug my phone into my car cradle, and access every song I have on CD (that is now ripped to my network hard drive) and organized in my fashion, at will.   I might even opt for setting up a dedicated computer (that is on at all times) if need be.   

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #209 on: January 05, 2021, 09:27:02 AM »
I guess. I think of the 1/2 hour or 45 minutes I drive to and from work and wonder why I'd need some specialized edited version right then and there. I can get it home after dinner.

I don't know. I don't go to the gym or listen to music when I work.

I will need a plan when my two iPod classics croak though.

How much does this Plex cost?