Author Topic: Martin Miller - new album Maze of My Mind out now  (Read 599 times)

Online HOF

Martin Miller - new album Maze of My Mind out now
« on: August 28, 2023, 11:25:20 AM »
I’m sure some of you have seen Martin Miller’s YouTube channel where he’s done a number of covers with various musicians (Paul Gilbert on “Superstition,” a Genesis medley, etc.). I think someone here has actually studied guitar with him if I remember right.

He just* released what is apparently his second solo album, and I stumbled on it this weekend. Some really great melodic, fresh sounding prog with some prog metal in places that I think people here would really like. There are some similarities to DT here, but also a bit more of a Journey/AOR slant. His guitar playing is amazing, but I was really surprised to hear how great his voice is. This one might be a surprise contender for album of the year for me.

It’s available at Bandcamp for name your price (appears to be a download only release unfortunately).

https://martinmiller.bandcamp.com/album/maze-of-my-mind?search_item_id=1564795588&search_item_type=a&search_match_part=%3F&search_page_id=2795114456&search_page_no=1&search_rank=2&search_sig=f4ad7d4a52f866053d7bf4a5d32539b1

Turns out this has been out since March, but the article I read was from last week made it sound like it had just come out.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 01:30:40 PM by HOF »

Offline Fritzinger

Re: Martin Miller - new album Maze of My Mind out now
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2023, 12:12:49 PM »
I’m sure some of you have seen Martin Miller’s YouTube channel where he’s done a number of covers with various musicians (Paul Gilbert on “Superstitious,” a Genesis medley, etc.). I think someone here has actually studied guitar with him if I remember right.

He just released what is apparently his second solo album, and I stumbled on it this weekend. Some really great melodic, fresh sounding prog with some prog metal in places that I think people here would really like. There are some similarities to DT here, but also a bit more of a Journey/AOR slant. His guitar playing is amazing, but I was really surprised to hear how great his voice is. This one might be a surprise contender for album of the year for me.

It’s available at Bandcamp for name your price (appears to be a download only release unfortunately).

https://martinmiller.bandcamp.com/album/maze-of-my-mind?search_item_id=1564795588&search_item_type=a&search_match_part=%3F&search_page_id=2795114456&search_page_no=1&search_rank=2&search_sig=f4ad7d4a52f866053d7bf4a5d32539b1

That was me  :tup

I have known Martin for quite a while now so that we became buddies and when he started teaching at the music college in Dresden where I was studying music at the time, he became my teacher as well. Lessons with him were always super awesome and extremely educational. He knows so much about music and guitar that he can teach you something about anything - it almost doesn't matter what you ask him, he knows it, it's ridiculous  :lol

I was quite busy with finishing my second studies now so I have been a little quiet over the last few months in the DTF. So I failed to promote this awesome album here  :-[ But I think it's super melodic and the performances are top notch (duh). He intended to keep it as short and concise as possible and I think that's a very good thing. Basically the opposite of what MP is doing  :lol He eliminated many sections and whole songs and reworked everything a thousand times to only include stuff he's 100% content with. Great summer prog.
any rock can be made to roll

Online HOF

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2023, 12:40:09 PM »
I’m sure some of you have seen Martin Miller’s YouTube channel where he’s done a number of covers with various musicians (Paul Gilbert on “Superstitious,” a Genesis medley, etc.). I think someone here has actually studied guitar with him if I remember right.

That was me  :tup

I have known Martin for quite a while now so that we became buddies and when he started teaching at the music college in Dresden where I was studying music at the time, he became my teacher as well. Lessons with him were always super awesome and extremely educational. He knows so much about music and guitar that he can teach you something about anything - it almost doesn't matter what you ask him, he knows it, it's ridiculous  :lol

I was quite busy with finishing my second studies now so I have been a little quiet over the last few months in the DTF. So I failed to promote this awesome album here  :-[ But I think it's super melodic and the performances are top notch (duh). He intended to keep it as short and concise as possible and I think that's a very good thing. Basically the opposite of what MP is doing  :lol He eliminated many sections and whole songs and reworked everything a thousand times to only include stuff he's 100% content with. Great summer prog.

Was thinking it was you, but wasn’t totally sure. I love the length of the album. 5 songs, a couple of more epic length, but a quick listen (kind of like those older Rush albums). Can definitely tell he put a lot of work into writing and arranging the songs. Some really wonderful instrumental passages.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2023, 12:46:14 PM »
He used to be a poster here in the 00s, mostly in the musicians section, used to go as "Wischi".  Easily one of our more famous former members. 

Online HOF

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2023, 01:06:21 PM »
He used to be a poster here in the 00s, mostly in the musicians section, used to go as "Wischi".  Easily one of our more famous former members.

I did not know that! I know Plini used to post over at the Mike Portnoy forum. Not sure if he was here too.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2023, 01:10:06 PM »
:tup

I love his videos/cover versions.  He always has other really good musicians playing with him.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2023, 01:15:29 PM »

I did not know that! I know Plini used to post over at the Mike Portnoy forum. Not sure if he was here too.

No idea, though Bulb did for a bit, but he kind of had a small footprint at just about every prog-adjacent place early on.